A Casual Disclosure: How to Respond When Learning About a Friend's Transition

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Dear Prudence, I recently learned that a friend's spouse is transgender, and I want to ensure I responded appropriately. The conversation was casual, and I took my cues from my friend on how to react. I want to support my friend and their spouse and make them feel comfortable in our home.
  • Your response to your friend's casual disclosure about her spouse's transition was appropriate. It's important to support and make them feel comfortable in your home. Taking cues from them is the right approach. Remember that not everyone wants to discuss the details of their transition, so following their lead is key.
  • You didn't need to have a serious, involved follow-up conversation when your friend mentioned her spouse's transition. Taking your cues from her was the right thing to do. Continue to make them feel comfortable and supported in your home by being friendly and welcoming. Let them guide the conversation about their transition.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

take one's cues

Dear Prudence, My husband and I made friends with another couple, “Katie” and “Steven,” last year. We have kids around the same age, and we get together a few times a month for backyard dinners and drinks. Recently, I remarked to Katie how much her children resemble her, and she replied that she hears that all the time. I jokingly asked how Steven feels about that, and she said: “Well, Steven’s trans. Didn’t you know?” I didn’t know. It hadn’t occurred to me. I was so surprised that my reaction was something along the lines of, “Oh. Cool!” And then the conversation naturally shifted course. I’m concerned that maybe I underreacted. Gender identity is important, and I can’t begin to imagine what Steven went through before and during his transition. My husband and I consider ourselves to be LGBTQ allies, and I want Steven to feel comfortable and supported in our home. We’ve seen them a few times since and nothing seems weird or awkward, so maybe I’m just overthinking this. But could or should I have responded differently? It didn’t feel like a coming-out conversation, more like a casual disclosure of information. Still, I’m worried that I said the wrong thing, and I’d love your perspective. —Underreactionary? You took your cue from Katie, who made it clear that this is information she (and presumably Steven) are comfortable with you knowing but that didn’t require a serious, involved follow-up conversation, and your response in that context was wholly appropriate. You’re likely right in assuming that Steven has gone through a great deal before and after transitioning, but that doesn’t mean he wants to go into detail about it with even the friendliest of neighbors. Steven and Katie already do feel comfortable and supported in your home, and there’s nothing you need to do here except continue to be friendly and welcoming and to take your neighbors’ cues on the subject of his transition. 2回take one's cuesという表現が出てきますが、それぞれどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4114/5348)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • koncha108
  • ベストアンサー率49% (1312/2665)
回答No.2

cueは、ここでは何らかの反応をするためのきっかけ、合図ですが、最初のはmy cue となっていて、次のはyour neighbors' cues となっていて所有格の主が違います。ただ一つのパラグラフの中に二回出てくると言うのは読み手が関連性を感じることを前提に使っているので、このどちらも「(性転換者である事に関して話す)きっかけ」。 ちなみに、transはtranssexual、transgenderのどちらの略とも取れますが、その前に子供についての話をしているので文脈的にはtranssexual (性転換者)がより妥当なのかと思いました。 最初のは、Katie から渡され、「私」が何かを反応するためのcue。訳は難しいですが、 「あなたはKatieからあなたが反応するきっかけを受け取ったのです」 次のcueは「彼の(性的)転換に関する話題の上でのあなたの隣人の合図を受け取ること」。つまり、今後の隣人との会話の中で、Stevenの転換に関する話題のヒントが出てきても変に無視したり取り繕ったりしないで普通に受け止めろ、と言うことと思います。 cueそのものの言っていることは変わらず、文脈の中でcueを持っている人と訳し方が変わるだけと思います。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。

その他の回答 (1)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

2回take one's cuesという表現が出てきますが、それぞれどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします (1)You took your cue from Katie, who made it clear that this is information she (and presumably Steven) are comfortable with you knowing but that didn’t require a serious, involved follow-up conversation, and your response in that context was wholly appropriate.  (あなたが知っても、ケイティー(にもスティーブ)にとっても何でもないことをはっきりさせ)あなたはその態度に合わせたわけです。 (2) there’s nothing you need to do here except continue to be friendly and welcoming and to take your neighbors’ cues on the subject of his transition. (引き続き友達として付き合い、歓迎し、彼の性転換の話題について)隣人の調子に合わせる(ほか何もする必要はありません)  この場合「相手の態度や調子に合わせる」という意味だと思います。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。

関連するQ&A

• take one's hat off

NHK実践ビジネス英語2017年6月号Lesson 5(2)のUedaさんの台詞で、”take one’s hat off”があります。Web検索してみると take your hat off to sb If you say that you take your hat off to someone, you mean that you admire them for an achievement: So Emma actually manages to juggle two small children and a full-time job, does she? Well, I take my hat off to her. 出典Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary & Thesaurus 日本語でも「脱帽です。頭が下がります。」ですが、帽子を被る習慣は明治時代からでしょうから、この言い回しは英語から入って来たものなのかな。 それはどちらでもいいことですが、実際に帽子を脱ぐという表現はNHKのこの講座では下記のWalkerさんの例のように”take off one’s hat”となっている気がします。一応テキストですから、わざと使い分けているのですか?それとも混同をさけるため、使い分ける習慣なのでしょうか? Ueda: I'm sure they keep you on your toes. I take my hat off to you. @2017年6月L5(2) Walker: You should definitely take off your hat when you enter someone’s house or a church. But a bar? @ 2011年8月L10(1) ※OKWAVEより補足:テーマ「実践ビジネス英語」から投稿された質問です。

• 会話文なんですが和訳お願いします。

You know, I had the hour-long conversation why I wasn't gonna do this, one thing that they said, this is, you don't do them so you don't realize that they can actually be entertaining and yet informative and comfortable. and I said, well, all right, and I always feel comfortable with you, so that's. インタビューに答えてる状況なんですがthisやthemが一体何を指し示してるのかがわかりません、、、 宜しくお願いします。

• 英語 ~を快く思わない。

She doesn't feel comfortable that I stay here. は文法的に正しいでしょうか? 「彼女は、私がここにとどまることを快く思わない。」 という意味合いを伝えたいです。 私が調べた限りでは、feel comfortable that S V という用法が見つかりませんでしたので、正しいのかがわかりません。

• in one's head と in one's mind について教えてください。

DVDで英語の学習をしております。 2人の刑事は美人記者を同行して捜査を続けています。 彼女が電話ボックスで電話しているのをながめながらの2人の会話です。 A: Say... B: Hmm? A: Don't you think that we ought to start sharing the driving responsibilities? B: Why? Your car. I'm just trying to figure out what's going on in her head. A: I don't know. B: Mm. A: ...but I sure like where her legs are. B: Oh, come on, A, what's the matter with you? Here I am trying to understand the core, the complexity of her personality. And all you can talk about are legs? Come on. この中の、 I'm just trying to figure out what's going on in her head. についてです。 in one's mindと、 in one's headとの違いがよくわかりません。 辞書で調べたところ <mind> your thoughts or your ability to think, feel, and imagine things <head> your mind or mental ability headはこの場面ではmantal abilityの意味ではないので、 結局、in her mindでもin her headでも、ここでは同じ意味ということでしょうか? お時間ありましたら、よろしくお願いいたします。

• 理由の否定がわかりません

I didn't go there because I wanted to see you.は状況や文脈にもよりますが (1)「私はあなたに会いたかったので,そこに行かなかった.(他の場所に居た.」 (2)「私はあなたに会いたかったからそこへ行ったわけではない.(「そこ」へは行った.が目的があなたに会うためではない.」 のどちらにも訳せると思います. I didn't go there, because I wanted to see you.は(1)(,が入った) It was because I wanted to see you that I didn't there.も(1) It wasn't because I wanted to see you that I went there.は(2) だと思います. では,forを使った目的も否定はどうすればはっきりするのですか? 例1:The children didn't shout for joy. (3)「その子供たちはうれしくて声をあげたわけではない.」 (4)「その子供たちはうれしくて,声も出なかった.」 例2:She didn't cry for help. (5)「彼女は助けを求めて叫ばなかった.」 (6)「彼女は助けを求めて叫んだわけではない.」 これらは文脈でわかる気がします.しかし自信がありません. 本当にわからないのは,前にある否定語(not)がforの後ろにかからないようにするにはどうすればいいのでしょう?

• 英語を日本語へ翻訳して貰えますか?

日本語の勉強をしている外国人のメル友からきたメールです。 いつも日本語でやりとりしているので、英語だとほとんど理解できません。 お恥ずかしいですが、日本語へ訳してください。 i am happy that you recover and list a little . i always will be sweet and kind to you ... and went your feel sad i be there making you feel happy ..well for now i be in the digital world ,so went you feel sad only email me .. i will warm your heart and make you feel happy i know that we still met you yet in person .but i feel that you are a sweet and kind person i always will to my best to make you happy went you feel sad i big Chu... for the best person in the world ... that is you Hanako.

• 英語が得意な方、和訳お願いします!

英語が得意な方、和訳して下さると助かります。 baby in a few more days we get to see each other. i know how it is to have hard times and how important it is to have a great support system so you wont let it slow you down or bring your feelings down. i know your friends are there for you when you need them but there are situations where you need to handle on your own. i want to always learn how to change your mind and help your feel positive in your life. i want you to feel like you are growing all the time. i know that what is not growing is dying and when you feel like that you can't help but wonder what is the meaning of your life? when you feel like you are growing, you never want to die; you just want to live forever. feel like yelling out "i love my life" . that is what i hope i could be for you. make you feel and scream out " i love me life". i wont give up on you! i just want you to know that! with or without me i only want you to be happy!!! 長文でお手数おかけしますが、宜しくお願いします。。

• 英語のメールを日本語にしてください。

What a bad friend .try to give you a force kiss . here is a nice chu.! to heal you back to happiness.. i am going to check my PO box tomorrow . it was a busy day.. work .. work........... i need a vacation .. i want you to know that you are a wonderful person and i am so happy for your emails it make me feel, not so lonely . ... i know that the only thing you see is text in a email .but i want you to feel that i Gare about you .. you make me happy i wish this tush your heart .. こちらの英語を日本語に訳して頂きたいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 日本語にして下さい

Not for me. I'm flattered that you feel that was about me. But I'm saying your just to young to fall in love with someone right now. You have so much to experience out there. I didn't mean it in a bad way. I'm sorry.

• 日本語にしてください( ^_^)

same if I don't see you clearly, you feel to be really beautiful and I love your eyes. お願いします!