• ベストアンサー

この語の役割

seegrammarの回答

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

their は所有格(determiner)で、名詞 firstborn (第一子)を誰の子なのか限定してます。their は all mothers and fathers になります。 「どの親も不幸にも長子に実験を試みる」というようなニュアンス。

love-hana
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。 すごく私がいろいろ誤解してみたいで混乱していました! 解決しました。

関連するQ&A

• 至急 訳を教えてください。

訳してみてもうまく文にならなくて大変困ってます。 よろしくお願いします。 First-born Children and only childlen First-born and only children are alike in some ways. First-born children receive all of their parents' attention until a new child is born. Only children receive this attention all through their lives. Both kinds of children have close relationships with their parents and try to make them happy. First-born children try hard to be successful,and they often get professional jobs. Only children also try to be perfect at everything. They are usually responsible and reliable. Sometimes,however,they become selfish. Twenty-one of the first twenty-threeU.S. astronauts were first-born or only children.

• 英文の和訳お願いします

英文学研究で 英語の小説を勉強しています。 訳がどうしてもわからないところがあるので わかる人いましたら教えてください。 They paraded―Gwen in her navy-blue shorts and Trudy in her puffy sun-suit―along the lake-side where marched also the lean brown camping youths from all over the globe,the fat print-frocked mothers and double-chinned fathers from Germany followed by their blonde sedate young,and the English women with their perms. 文が長すぎて どこで区切ればいいのか よくわかりません。 一応自分なりに訳してみたのですが… 日本語がおかしくなってしまいます。 訳せる人いましたら 教えてください!

• That の役割

以下の文で、that がたくさん出てきますが、それぞれの役割の解説をお願い致します。文全体としてどのような構造になっているのでしょうか。 1) that people 節を示している様ですがどこで受けているのでしょうか。 2) that time 3) rebuild that 4) that ではないですが、all these could のcould にかかる動詞が見当たりませんがcoludの役割は何でしょうか。 以上よろしくお願い致します。 That people would understand the need for the patience, that time would be required to rebuild that which the Empire had taken away. Cities, communications, trade; All these could and were well on their way to full restoration.

• 日本語訳を教えてください(かなり長文です)(1)

Why Chinese Mothers Are Superiorという記事の日本語訳を教えてください。よろしくお願いします。 A lot of people wonder how Chinese parents raise such stereotypically successful kids. They wonder what these parents do to produce so many math whizzes and music prodigies, what it's like inside the family, and whether they could do it too. Well, I can tell them, because I've done it. Here are some things my daughters, Sophia and Louisa, were never allowed to do: I'm using the term "Chinese mother" loosely. I know some Korean, Indian, Jamaican, Irish and Ghanaian parents who qualify too. Conversely, I know some mothers of Chinese heritage, almost always born in the West, who are not Chinese mothers, by choice or otherwise. I'm also using the term "Western parents" loosely. Western parents come in all varieties. All the same, even when Western parents think they're being strict, they usually don't come close to being Chinese mothers. For example, my Western friends who consider themselves strict make their children practice their instruments 30 minutes every day. An hour at most. For a Chinese mother, the first hour is the easy part. It's hours two and three that get tough. Despite our squeamishness about cultural stereotypes, there are tons of studies out there showing marked and quantifiable differences between Chinese and Westerners when it comes to parenting. In one study of 50 Western American mothers and 48 Chinese immigrant mothers, almost 70% of the Western mothers said either that "stressing academic success is not good for children" or that "parents need to foster the idea that learning is fun." By contrast, roughly 0% of the Chinese mothers felt the same way. Instead, the vast majority of the Chinese mothers said that they believe their children can be "the best" students, that "academic achievement reflects successful parenting," and that if children did not excel at school then there was "a problem" and parents "were not doing their job."

• 日本語にして下さい。

次の英文を訳して下さい。特にand以下の文の述語動詞がとれません。 この前後の英文は全て現在形になっていますが、この文では原形がありません。 Slums can be torn down and their occupants rehoused in carefully planned satellite towns nearby.

• 添削お願いします

次の4コマの内容を英語にしました。文法や英語の表現、文の流れなどおかしな点がありましたらご指摘よろしくお願いします。最初の1文は提示されたものです。 「(1)2人の子どもが走りながら電車に乗ってくる。母親は気にしていない様子。(2)電車の中でも座らずに騒いでいる。乗客は嫌な顔をしている。母親は話に夢中。(3)おじいさんがQuiet!と言う。(4)子どもは静かになり、母親は恐縮している。」 One day, the children got on a train with their mothers. The children ran into the train, however their mothers didn't care about the children's behavior. The children were so cheerful that they couldn't be seating on the train. The passengers felt they were noisy. On the other hand their mothers were occupied in talking each other. Suddenly, an old man next to their mothers said to the children, "Quiet!" They got very surprised. They at last stopped making a noise and their mothers stopped talking. There was peace returning on the train. よろしくお願いします。

• 日本語訳を!!

お願いします (14) Rome borrowed the Olympian gods from Greece, Where they were thought to live on Mount Olympus. Eventually, the Romans had gods for almost everything. They prayed to Juno for help with the birth of a baby, to Mars for help in battle, to Jupiter before planting their crops, and to Ceres for a good yield of grain. (15) Roman religion, government, and family were all closely connected. Each reflected the other. Jupiter ruled over the gods as father and king─just as kinds and consuls ruled the Roman state and fathers ruled their families.

• このitを文法的に説明お願いします

But no less important than the brilliant few that lead a nation or a literature to fresh achievements, are the unknown many whose patient efforts keep the world from running backward; who guard and maintain the ancient values, even if they do not conquer new; whose inconspicuous triumph it is to pass on what they inherited from their fathers, unimpaired and undiminished, to their sons. 「triumph it is」のitがなぜここにあるのかわかりません。 要するにwhose以下の文の構造がとれていないんだと思います。 もしこのitがなければ、 「whose inconspicuous triumph」 is 「to pass on what they inherited from their fathers, unimpaired and undiminished, to their sons」 と区切れると思うのですが よろしくお願いします。

• 日本語訳を教えてください(かなり長文です)(5)

Why Chinese Mothers Are Superiorという記事の日本語訳教えてください。お願いします。 (And it's true that Chinese mothers get in the trenches, putting in long grueling hours personally tutoring, training, interrogating and spying on their kids.) Anyway, the understanding is that Chinese children must spend their lives repaying their parents by obeying them and making them proud. By contrast, I don't think most Westerners have the same view of children being permanently indebted to their parents. My husband, Jed, actually has the opposite view. "Children don't choose their parents," he once said to me. "They don't even choose to be born. It's parents who foist life on their kids, so it's the parents' responsibility to provide for them. Kids don't owe their parents anything. Their duty will be to their own kids." This strikes me as a terrible deal for the Western parent. Third, Chinese parents believe that they know what is best for their children and therefore override all of their children's own desires and preferences. That's why Chinese daughters can't have boyfriends in high school and why Chinese kids can't go to sleepaway camp. It's also why no Chinese kid would ever dare say to their mother, "I got a part in the school play! I'm Villager Number Six. I'll have to stay after school for rehearsal every day from 3:00 to 7:00, and I'll also need a ride on weekends." God help any Chinese kid who tried that one. Don't get me wrong: It's not that Chinese parents don't care about their children. Just the opposite. They would give up anything for their children. It's just an entirely different parenting model. Here's a story in favor of coercion, Chinese-style. Lulu was about 7, still playing two instruments, and working on a piano piece called "The Little White Donkey" by the French composer Jacques Ibert.

• 同音異語

All our efforts were in ( ). The complaints continued on and on in the same ( ). この2つの文の中に、同音異語を入れなければならないのですが  見当がつきません。ご教示いただければありがたいのですが・・