• ベストアンサー

訳と構文解説をお願いします

He would never have continued from bravado in a course that he had come to the conclusion was unwise. 上記文章の和訳をお願いしたいのです。 that以下の文章とthatとの関係が良く理解できません。 それにcontinuedの目的語は何か判然としないのです。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

これは一種の連鎖関係詞節です。 Mr. Smith is a person who everyone thinks is honest. という形でおなじみのものです。 a person という先行詞に対して, everyone thinks (that) he is honest という内容で,修飾したい場合, a person = he の he を主格の関係代名詞にして,that 節の中から飛び越えて a person who everyone thinks is honest 「誰もが正直であると思う人」となります。 今回の文では, a course という先行詞に対して, he had come to the conclusion that it was unwise 「彼は,それは賢明なことではないという結論に達した」 という内容で修飾しています。  すなわち,先行詞 a course を受ける it が the conclusion that ~「という結論」という同格の that 節内の主語になっていて, この that 節内を飛び越えて a course that he had come to the conclusion was unwise となっています。 彼は,空威張りから,賢明ではないと結論に達した進路を進み続けることは決してなかったであろう  正直申し上げると,このような形の連鎖関係詞節ははじめて見ました。「なるほど,こんなのもありなんだな」という発見と同時に,連鎖関係詞節は that 節内から飛び越えるという説明の仕方が一番正しいのだな,ということを再確認できました。

hachiemon
質問者

お礼

とても参考になりました。 余談ですが、小生、前大戦末期学校で習ったモームの小説の一節です。 身辺整理中見つけた古色蒼然のテキストのなかにありました。 今、懐かしく読み返しているのです。 軍国主義真っ只中のあの時代、良くこんなエレガントな題材のテキストを選んだものだと、あらためて亡き教授を追憶しています。 あらためて、お礼申し上げます。

その他の回答 (1)

• d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.1

He would never have continued from bravado in a course that he had come to the conclusion was unwise. = He would never have continued from bravado in a course if he had come to the conclusion (that) the course was unwise. そのまま続けるのは賢明でないという結論に達していたのなら、彼は、虚勢を張ってそのまま成り行きに任せるようなことはしなかっただろう。

hachiemon
質問者

お礼

有難うございます 簡潔明快なご回答.納得できました。

関連するQ&A

• 英語の訳を教えてください。

She had never met Peter Bacon before, but after he had listened to her presentation about her products he was convinced that the new shampoo would become a big hit.

• これらの有名な構文で今はあまり使われてないのがあれば教えてください。

こんにちは。 下記の構文は、英文法の問題としてはよく見る有名なものなのですが、 これらは大昔のもので、今はあまり実際に使われていないんだよ、というものがあれば、教えてください。 (1)Hardly had he entered the office when he realized that he had forgotten his wallet. (2)No sooner had he entered the office than he realized that he had forgotten his wallet. (3)Not until he had come back home did John notice that he had left his wallet. (4)It was not until he had come back home that he noticed that he had left his wallet. (5)Not a day passed but my mother prayed for me.

• 間違っているところは?

こんばんは What had been bothering him was not the fact that his child had been coming home late but he never would tell him what time he would reterning home. という文で間違っているところがわかりません 最後のwould returning→would have returned のように考えてみたのですが良くわかりません お願いします

• 源氏物語の翻訳について 2

前回回答をいただいた方々にお礼を申し上げます。 続きの文章なのですが、 ~ Come what might,the Emperor would have watched by her till the end,~ とあります。この”Come what might”の訳し方がわかりません。 また、her tillの「till」の意味が辞書では適当な単語が見つけられませんでした。 それから以下の箇所なのですが He knew that even quite ordinary separations made people unhappy; but here was such a dismal wailing and lamenting as he had never seen before, の中の「even quite」の訳し方と後半に出てくる「as he had~」のasの訳し方がわかりません。 教えていただけたら嬉しいです。 (ミスタイピングがありましたらすみません)

• Galileo

Read each conclusion below and write a deteil or event that supports that conclusion. 1.Galileo discovered the moon was different from what others had thought. 2.Galileo was like a pioneer at that time in history. 3.Galileo was worried people would think he was crazy because of his many ideas. 4.Galileo no longer cared or worried about the Churchs feelings toward him. 5.With the new Pope,the Church no longer supported Galileo. Apply What conclusion can you draw about how Galileo felt as he neared the end of his life? Give two details that support your conclusion above.

• 和訳お願いします

和訳で分からないところ、自信のないところがありますので、お助けください。 When I entered the classroom I would always discover that he had arrived before me, and the blackboard would be covered with strings of kanji that he had written, quotations from the authors he would discuss. *私が教室に入ったときに、一歩彼が私の前に来ていて、黒板は彼が書いた漢字。のちに議論する著者からの引用で覆い尽くされておりました。(自信ありません) One day he informed us that if anyone of us ever mentioned outside the office that he was engaged in translating captured documents, this would constitute an offense punishable by death, and he would personally do what he could to ensure that such a person was hanged. *ある日、彼は私たちに我々の時代が、自分は捕獲された文章を翻訳することに関係しているなどと口外にいつか漏らそうものなら、これは死刑に値する違反を構成することから、彼は個人的にそうしたものは、絞首刑にされると確かめうる限りのことを個人的にすると私たちに告げたのであります。 以上、宜しくお願いします。

• 構文分析、よろしくお願い致しますm(_ _)m

The principal reason why he was always being asked to umpire a game―aside from the fact that he never expected to be paid for his services, saying that he liked to umpire for the good of the game―was that he never failed to try to please both teams. If one side did not like one of his decisions, he would stop the game then and there and let the players on both sides swear at him as much as they pleased and call him the worst names they would think of until they were tired of arguing aand wanted to get back to playing ball. 構文分析よろしくお願い致します できるだけ丁寧に解説してくださると嬉しいです。

• I never could see myself...

以下の文章の「I never could see myself that much was the matter with me,except that I had a beastly cold.」という部分がどういう構文になっているのか、どういう意味なのか分かりません。  Many years ago when I was a young man,I was taken very ill-I never could see myself that much was the matter with me,except that I had a beastly cold. But I suppose it was something very serious,for the doctor said that I ought to have come to him a month before, and that if it,whatever it was,had gone on for another week he would not have answered for the consequences.  以上ですが宜しくお願い致します。

• 訳と解説をお願いします。

Mary , where were you yesterday ? I wanted to tell you about the picnic. Oh, who's picnic? My mother is going to let me have one. I hope that she will let me come. I may ask I want. I want you and all my friends to come. She looked at Tom, but he was talking to Amy Lawrence. Other in the group began asking if they could go. Soon everyone had asked. 訳をお願いします。また、Who's picnic? let me have one ,let me come について解説をしていただくとありがたいです。

• 強調構文の時制について教えてください。

別サイトの”教えて!Goo”で見つけた質問文です。 http://okwave.jp/qa/q4405305.html It was not until he had been away from home for many days that he found how he loved his father and mother.   この文章、過去完了形が使われていてすごく不自然な感じがあります。 (でも、回答では誰も訂正していないので正しい文なのだと思います) 私は言い換え文で悩んでしまいました。 He didn't find how he loved his father and mother until he had been away from home for many days.→? 色々調べましたが、強調構文で過去完了を使って時差を表している文が見当たりません。 時制はどうしたらいいのでしょうか? 事の流れがわかるから、私は全部過去形で書きたいです。