• ベストアンサー

解説お願いします

I needed a dream, a goal―one that would ask for everything I had and more. この文を解説してください。wouldの意味もお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • mackbogey
  • ベストアンサー率31% (32/102)
回答No.3

最初の部分は「needed」と過去形になっていますよね。だから、次の部分も「will」ではなく「would」と過去形になっているわけです。  最初の部分は、一番さんの回答どおり、「ボクには一つの夢が、一つの目標が必要だったんだ」―となります。(二番の回答者さんが、現在形のように訳していますが、これはできません。)  後半部分の「would」は、前に「needed」があるから引きずられて過去形になったもので、仮定法とは関係ありませんね(needed がneedと現在形だったら、ニ番さんの回答のように、後半は仮定法になるでしょうけど)。  「would」の意味もお願いとありますが、したがって、とりわけ、深い意味はないんです。  実現するためにはボクの持っているあらゆるもの、そしてそれ以上のものを要求してくる大きな夢、目標―という意味でしょうね。

dreamergmk
質問者

お礼

そうだったんですか。自分も勘違いしてしまいました。確かに時制がずれていると不自然な感じになりますね。わかり易い解説ありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (2)

• d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.2

I needed a dream, a goal 僕には、夢が、目標が、必要だ。 one that would ask for everything I had and more 僕の持っているもの全てと更に多くのものを要求するようなもの(=夢・目標)(が必要なのだ) wouldは仮定法かな。 「実際にはそうではないけれど、自分の考えているような夢や目標があったとしたら、その夢や目標を達成するのに、彼の持っている全てのもの以上のもの投入しなければならなくなるだろう」のようなことだと思います。 実際には、この人には夢も目標もないから、そういうようなことはないわけです。

dreamergmk
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。必要としているということはまだないという仮定法の発想になるわけですね。

回答No.1

I needed a dream, a goal 私は目標になる何らかの夢が必要だった。 ―one that would ask for everything I had and more. そう、私のすべてを捧げてもまだ足りないような、そんな過酷な目標が。 a dream, a goalはただの単純な同格、言い換えですね。同じ内容を別の切り口で夢、目標と言い換えている。 ―oneも同格の言い換えですが、関係代名詞で説明される大型の言い換え内容をダッシュを使って提示している。dream, goalともに可算名詞なのでoneで言い換えられる。この場合oneはdreamとgoalのいずれなのかを考えても無意味でしょう。同じものなのだから。 one that would ask for everything I had and moreはask forの目的が二つあることを見抜けるかどうかで成否が分かれるでしょう。目的は 1)everything (that) I had私の持っているもののすべて と 2)more (than everything that I had)そのすべて以上のもの のふたつ。 ask forの主語はone(=dream, goal)で無生物主語なので「...をくれと頼む」ではなく、「(達成の条件として)求める、必要とする」の意味。 以上を全部足し算すれば、最初に示した意味になります。

dreamergmk
質問者

お礼

なるほど、たしかask for A and Bという使い方がありましたね。よくわかりました。ありがとうございます。

関連するQ&A

• 解説をお願いします。

Why do we allow ourselves to love when we know for a fact that, that soul will eventually leave us? What more can I ask of myself. 以前、訳のお願いをしたのですが、納得できないところがあって、解説をお願いします。上の文では、Why we allow ourselves to love を 我々は どうして愛し合えるのだろうか  と訳していたんですが、愛し合えるがよくわかりません。allow の訳し方なのでしょうか。次の文では、 自分にもっと求めるどんなことがあるのだろうか。 と訳していたんですがmoreの位置がここになるのがよくわかりません。また、ask of につてなんですが、of 働きが納得いきません。~にもとめる は ask of なんですか。解説をしてやろうという方がいらっしゃいましたら、お願いします。

• 文の訳と解説をお願いします。

the minute I dropped out , I could stop taking the classes that didn't interest me and begin dropping in on the ones that looked for more interesting . ones that looked for more interesting について解説をお願いします。look for のあとは名詞がくると思いますがmore interesting がきています。文の組み立てが納得いきません。解説をお願いします。

• 英語の文法チェックしてください

Even after I came back to Japan from Australia. I still wanted to go study abroad again, so I was going to the American university after working for a yen in Japan. I had been fighting with homework everyday, I had sometimes regretted about coming to the USA, but I believed that everything is going to wonderful experience in my life in the future. so I did not lose my hope. From my experience both American life and Australia, I would like to know more about people all over the world. Everyone has different characteristics, and all of them are brilliant. so my dream is to be a businessman who works all over the world. That is why I would like to study an international Business. I am not a talented person, however, I can say one thing from bottom of my heart that I always do my best for achieving my goal. 英語の文法ミスおしえていただけないですか?

• 文法解説

①If I had had more courage, I might have carried out the plan With more courage, I might have carried out the plan. ②If I had been in your place, I would have followed his directions. In your place, I would have followed his directions. ①②、それぞれ上の文を下の文に言い換えたときに、in やwithが、使われていますが、なぜこうなるのか。そして、使い方等がよくわかりません。 解説お願いします。

• 解説をよろしくお願いします

He doesn’t want kids and never has, whereas I’ve always wanted to be a mom. The last time the subject came up, he said he would “let our relationship grow until I genuinely want to have children with you,” but that for now, the thought of having kids scares him. that for nowの解説をよろしくお願いします

• 訳をお願いします。

Mom, you are the bravest person I know and ultimate survivor . If I was ever to harbor any hate in my heart , it would be for all that you have suffered because of Phillip . Mom, you never gave up hope that I would one day come home and here I am , so glad to be back . You are everything I remember and more . You have embraced your grandchildren in a way I never believed possible. for all thatのところや here I amや possibleのとこがわからないのでお願いします。宜しくお願いします。

• 英文の一部だけ解説お願いします。

There was a time in my life when I would not have been so sensitive to my friend's feelings. I would have probably given her a sermon about the benefits of discipline and the dangers of overeating and poor nutrition. However, I would not have succeeded in doing anything but making my friend feel guilty and condemned. When she asked me to share ideas that might help her I did so, 『 but with an attitude that did not make her feel that I had it all together and she was a mess.』 I have discovered that one way to love people is to help them not to feel worse about the things they already feel bad about. (Joyce Meyerの本より抜粋) かぎカッコをつけた部分だけ文法も含めた解説をお願いします。

• 訳をお願いします。

One time I had this thought that when we have the money and he gets going with his music or whatever that I would search the world for top teachers, psychologists, and doctors,and I would be behind the scenes. 意味が取れません。訳をお願いします。宜しくお願いします。

• 訳し方教えてください

In remembering the dream which I had had during the night,I thought that never before had I had a dream in which every detail has been so clear,so logical as this last one.It could not have been more clear and impressive if it had not been a dream at all but an episode of the day ,a slightly strange episode,but nonetheless real and natural. これの構文と訳を教えてください。

• 英文解説お願いします。

One strategy for this problem is to realize that if the decision is that hard to make there must not be a "right" answer, or else it would be obvious. 途中のthat hard の意味がわかりません。 解説よろしくお願いします。