• ベストアンサー

theかhisか どう使い分ける?

Deerhunterの回答

回答No.1

冠詞等の使い方について全部説明すると大変ですので、この場合についてですが、 好きなほうを使ってください、つまり自分で表現したいほうを使ってください。例文の場合はちょうど 日本語にした時の  1)彼は将来を心配している 2)彼は彼の将来を心配している の違いに相当しています。日本語にはたまたま定冠詞がないので the が訳として表に現れてこないだけです。1のケースでは多分彼の自分の将来の心配だと読み手は推測できますが、必ずしも確定的では無いですね。文脈があって始めてわかります。2ではそれがはっきりわかります。 冠詞等の使い方は基本的ルールと慣用的表現で一つに決まってくる場合もありますが、書き手の選択にゆだねられる場合も多いです。その場合はもちろんどれを選ぶかで意味合いが若干変わってきます。 冠詞について過去に質問がいくつかありますので検索してみてください。

jonsi
質問者

お礼

ちゃんとニュアンスの違いはあるのですね。回答ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 添削お願いしいます

He was confident and strong will that change their future in their own power. He had a power of expression to show clearly his audience that is he imaged a future vision 「彼は自分達の力で国の未来を変えるという決意と自信にあふれている。将来のビジョンをイメージとして明確に聴衆に見せる表現力がある。」 こちらの英文を添削お願いします。

• 受身で感情を表す

こんにちは. いつもお世話になっています. 疑問に思ったことがあるので,教えてください. He is stisfied with his score. →彼は自分の得点に「満足していた」。 Q1:なぜ,受動態なのに「満足していた」なのでしょうか? I'm worried about your health. →君の健康が心配だよ. Q2:なぜ受動態なのに「心配だよ」 なのでしょうか. 英語が苦手ですが,頑張ります. よろしくお願いいたします。

• HIS OWN MAN

「刑事コロンボ」で、上院議員候補者のポスターに大きく書かれていた言葉です。これは、HIS=HE'S=HE IS と解釈してよろしいでしょうか?意味は多分、「彼しかいない」だと思いますが、だったらONLY(またはTHE ONLY)のほうが良いような気もします。よろしくお願いします。

• union in his faith

I am agnostic, but my boyfriend is religious. He has recently become more devoted to his religion and is not certain but thinks he will want a union in his faith, which does not allow marriage to a non-adherent. union in his faithとallow marriage to a non-adherentはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 能動態=受動態

以前から気になっていたのですが、能動態と受動態が同じ意味になる動詞がありますよね。 例: He married her. = He was married to her. He possesses intelligence. = He is possessed of intelligence. The organization comprises three divisions. = The organization is comprised of three divisions. She never tires of listening to music. = She is never tired of listening to music. He pledged to support them.= He was pledged to support them. それから、こんなのもあります。 We worried about the problem. = We were worried about the problem. といった具合。これは一体どういうわけなんでしょうか。 それから、ほかにも類例があれば、教えて! (これって、次のような例とは性質が違うと思うんですよね。 I realized my dream. = My dream was realized. = My dream realized. They modernized the country. = The country was modernized.=The country modernized. They had to shorten their stay.= Their stay had to be shortened.= Their stay had to shorten.)

• worry about whereのabout省略

ある文法書によると、 疑問詞の導く節の場合は,文意が明確であれば前置詞を省略するのが ふつう。       1, I'm worried (about) how the project was carried out.        (その計画がどのように実施されたかが心配だ)        * aboutはなくても文意は明確である。       2, I'm worried about where she is.        (私は彼女がどこにいるか気がかりだ)        * aboutをとると文意が不明確になる。   この本によると、2は文意が不明確と説明がありますが、果たしてそうでしょうか? 明確だと思うのですが。あるいはworried whereという形がおかしいのでしょうか? それだったら意味ではなくて形ですよね?

• lost his way

I thought my husband and I had a great marriage -- until I looked on his phone and found text messages to another woman. I was crushed. I asked him about it, and he said that it was nothing and that there were only a few messages. When I checked our cellphone details, I was completely devastated to find that it had been going on for almost a year and there were almost 2,000 text messages during the past six months. When I talked to him about this and all the lies he had told me, he said he had lost his way and he was sorry and didn't want to lose me. lost his wayはここではどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• paying his way

Two years after my mom made that decision, my dad successfully applied to be transferred to a prison closer to us. I would love to say that he did it because he really wanted to reconnect with his daughter, but the truth is that he wanted to be closer to his mother. She was paying his way in prison. paying his wayとはどういうことでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• worryとbe worriedの違いについて

辞書を見てみると, (1)I worry about it.「それについて心配する.」 (2)I'm worried that he will be late.「彼が遅れるのではないかと心配する.」 とありました. (2)の文章をI worry that he will be late.にしてはどうなのでしょう? また能動態と受動態で意味の違いや使われ方に違いがありますか?

• どなたか英語が分かる方よろしくお願いします。

よろしければ文章を訳してください宜しくお願いします。 Every planet has an influence on your future and on the future soulmate. Mercury was in Aquarius when you were born. Your soul mate is loyal and faithful. He has modern ideas and thoughts about the way love and romance should be in his life. He may far ahead of his times, so this relationship will be sophisticated and advanced by other peoples standards. He is open to new experiences in life and love. He is not given to deceiving himself or others and will not do so. He will make observations about you. He will take a great interest and curiosity about you. He can be detached, so that while he may be exceedingly interested in what other people say or know about you, he is not influenced by others views, he observes you and sees the truth, sees things that other people cannot always see. And he is perceptive in this. He may be able to see you from a different angle to others, and his insight will be illuminating.