• ベストアンサー

spared by rhunder

And there stood a hazel-copse,spared by the thunder,with desolation all around it. 嘗ての戦場のシーンなのですが、荒野に囲まれてあるハシバミの雑木林がspared by the thunderという意味がわかりません。 アドバイス宜しくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

spare に「(苦労など)を与えないでおく」「(命など)を助ける,容赦する」という意味があります。  本来なら,人のように意志のあるものが主語になるでしょうが,「神」のような単語も主語になり得ると思います。これから,「災害などが~に被害を与えない」という意味になることもあると思います。  ここでは,spared by the thunder で,「その雷によって被害を与えられることなく」という意味になるでしょう。  desolation は冠詞がついていませんので,「荒野」よりは,「破壊」の意味で,with desolation all around it は「そのまわりはすべて,(雷によって被害を受けて)破壊されてしまっている」という意味になると思います。

hiro_ga2_91
質問者

お礼

desolationの無冠詞の意味が非常に理解できました。文意からやはり主語は神と解釈した方が正しいようです。ご指摘本当にありがとうございます。これからもお助け頂ければ幸いです。

その他の回答 (2)

noname#114795
noname#114795
回答No.3

状景を心に描いて見ましょう.荒地の中にハシバミ(高さ4~5mになる)の林があり,季節は不明ですが,そこだけ緑があって,それが雷の被害も受けずに自立しているようです.通常,林に入るとよくあることですが,落雷や台風などの嵐で裂けたり折れたりしている木を見ることができます. spared by the thunder は雷が見逃してくれた,ということですが,この文章からは,周りの荒地と対照的に,落雷の被害も免れてよく育っているな,という感慨が感じ取れます. 周りの荒地が雷の被害にあったがためにそうなったのかどうかは文章には書いていません.踏み込み過ぎになります.たとえば,もともと岩場だったりして,雷の影響を受けないのかもしれませんから.

参考URL:
http://www22.ocn.ne.jp/~tamukai/hasibami.htm
hiro_ga2_91
質問者

お礼

ご丁寧なご指摘ありがとうございます。文意を汲み取ってもういちど原文にあたってみます。大変助かります。

• d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.1

"spare"は、「見逃す。危害を加えないでおく」と言うような意味です。 "spared by the thunder"ということは、「(周りの荒野が雷の被害をうけているなかで、そこだけ)雷の被害を受けなかった」のような意味になると思います。

hiro_ga2_91
質問者

お礼

ご指摘ありがたく感謝いたします。

関連するQ&A

• be transfixed by

NHK実践ビジネス英語2017年7月号Lesson 7に、下記の2つのフレーズがありました。 (1) They're all transfixed by their smartphones. 「スマホにすっかりくぎづけになっている」 (2) they walk down the street with their eyes fixed on their phones.「スマホをじっとみつめたまま」 後者のwith主語+過去分詞句の、”fixed on”はよくあるフレーズですが、前者の”be transfixed by”は、目新しかったのでWeb検索してみました。 すると、The Washington Postで次の記事の中で、”transfixed by”が見つかりました。 “Smartphones are distracting, but many seem willing to accept the risks” Take distracted walking, the practice of moseying around your habitat or down the street with your eyes transfixed by your smartphone. mosey [móuzi]《俗語》 ぶらぶら歩く, ぶらつく テキスト文の(1)と(2)を混ぜたような文章ですが、”be transfixed by”と”fixed on”の前置詞”by”と”on”の違いはどうしてですか?個人的には、”on”だと主語から”on”の目的語への働きかけで、”by”だと[手段・方法]で、目的語から主語への働きかけと感じています。テキストでは「スマホをじっと見つめる」「スマホにくぎづけ」と同じような訳になっていますが、何かもう少し意味の違いがあるのでしょうか? Nancy Alvarez: Coming from a small town in Missouri, it never ceases to amaze me how pedestrians in New York don't look up. They're all transfixed by their smartphones. @2017年7月L8(1) McMillan: I hate to say it, but it seems to me that smombies aren't just foolish -they're rude and selfish. They subconsciously expect everyone to get out of their way while they walk down the street with their eyes fixed on their phones. @2017年7月L8(5) ※OKWAVEより補足:テーマ「実践ビジネス英語」から投稿された質問です。

• よろしくお願いします

My brother-in-law asked that we all come around when possible on lunch hours, nights, and weekends to help keep her company. Our aunt made a schedule for people to stop by complete with bringing meals. stop by complete with bringing mealsの解説をよろしくお願いします

• この文章の和訳をお願いします。

In the cases 1.5≦|b_i~|≦3, a particle comes near the planet and, in many cases, is scattered greatly by the complicated manner. Especially, as seen from Fig. 2, all particles with the impact parameter |b_i~| in the range between 1.8 and 2.5, of which interval is comparable, as an order of magnitude, to the Hill radius, enter the Hill sphere of the planet. Such a particle, entering the Hill sphere, revolves around the planet along the complicated orbit. After one or several revolutions around the planet it escapes out of the Hill sphere in most cases, but it sometimes happens to collide with the planet as described later. Fig.2. Examples of particle orbits with various values of b_i~ and with e_i~=0. The dotted circle represents the Hill sphere. All the particles with 1.75<b_i~<2.50 enter the sphere. よろしくお願いします。

• on the horizontal leg

At the end of the thirties Leesden End was an L-shaped town. Our house stood near the top of the L. At the other extreme was the market. Mr Simmonds, the oculist, had his shop on the horizontal leg, and he lived there above the shop with his mother and sister. All the other shops in the row were attached to each other, but Mr Simmonds' stood apart, like a real house, with a lane on either side. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 (主人公が過去を回想している場面から始まります) Mr Simmonds, the oculist, had his shop on the horizontal legの on the horizontal legとはどういう意味ですか? 教えてください。 宜しくお願いします。

• It is possible to be too much conce

It is possible to be too much concerned even with one's own salvation. 政治家という職業について書かれた文章中の一文です。 私の訳では「自分自身の救済のためにでさえ、度を越えた関心を寄せることはありえるのである。」 なのですが、どうもしっくりきません。 ふさわしい訳をどなたか教えてください。お願いします。 (以下全文) It is this uncertainty,with its various consequences,that makes politics the most hazardous of all manly professions. If there is not another in which a man can do so much good to his fellow-creatures,neither is there any in which,by a cowardly act or by a mere loss of nerve,he may so easily lose his own soul.But danger is the inseparable companion of honour. The greatest deeds in history were not done by people who thought of safety first.It is possible to be too much concerned even with one's own salvation.There will not be much hope left for humanity when men are no longer willing to risk their immortal as well as their mortal parts.With all temptation, dangers and degradations that beset it politics is still,I think,the noblest career that any man can choose.

• 日本語訳を! 1-(7)

お願いします。  Despite Harkhuf's major expeditions and all the riches he and other traders brought back to Egypt―from Nubia with all its gold, Sinai with all its turquoise, and Punt with all its incense―it was this dancing pygmy that captured the heart of Pepi II. And the letter written by the boy-king remained so important to Harkhuf that at he end of his days he chose to record it on his tomb. If you were the supreme ruler of Egypt 4,000 years ago, what kinds of letters would you write? What songs would you sing to the Nile? Think about it while your servants fan you with ostrich feathers. But you might want to be careful how you order your teachers around.

• 英語が得意な人教えてください

All of my decks are only available to buy directly from me,and I send by mail. I have sent to japan before.Pay with paypal and I send right away by global priority mail,as printed matter in a flat rate envelope ,packed up flat in smaller packets inside the big envelope.please add $11 for shopping. to do paypal log on to their site my id there is. これを訳せる方おられたらお願いします

• Mooの意味

映画の中で使われている「Moo」という言葉にはどのような意味があるのでしょうか? ターミーネーター・サラ・コナー・クロニクルズ2の15話の中盤での話です 葬式のシーンで 女の子 That's what I think. There's some smart people around here, real smart. ジョン So you think what that somebody sabotaged the plant and killed all these people? Your father? 女の子 It wasn't an accident, john. Moo. この最後の部分のMooの意味とニュアンスや使用場所はどんなものでしょうか?

• 添削お願いします

1My grandmother gave me_it for my entrance celebration. 2I made fabric by my self with my grandmother. It has flower design. There is no oter fabric in the world. 3This book mame is nontan. This is the first book for me. 4This is the coolest_ball of all my own balls. よろしくお願いします

• 英文確認

送りました画像のイラストは包帯で体を拘束しています。 あなたに描いて欲しいイラストは拘束ではなく、体全てに包帯を巻くだけで問題はございません。 Illustration of the image I sent is binding the body with a bandage. The illustrations I want you to draw are not restraints, there is no problem by just wrapping a bandage on all the bodies. この英文は海外の絵師「イラストレーター」に文章で伝えたいですが文法は正しいでしょうか? 間違えがありましたら教えて頂けますと幸いです。