• ベストアンサー

英文の構造がわかりません

カズオイシグロのNEVER LET ME GOより、 it means a lot to me, being able to do my work well, especially that bit about my donors staying 'calm'. という部分の訳しかたを教えて欲しいです。特に、especially that bit about を文法的に教えて欲しいです。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9724/12096)
回答No.1

以下のとおりお答えします。 >it means a lot to me, being able to do my work well, especially that bit about my donors staying 'calm'. という部分の訳しかたを教えて欲しいです。 ⇒難しいですね。とりあえず、この部分の対訳はこんな感じです。 《私の仕事をうまくこなせること、特にドナーが「冷静で/落ち着いて」いてくれること(そういう場面)は私にとって大いに意味のあること/重要なことです。》 *it は形式主語で、真主語はbeing以下と考えられます。 **主人公が介護士であることを考慮すると、「ドナー」とは「(臓器の)提供者」のことかも知れませんね。 >特に、especially that bit about を文法的に教えて欲しいです。 ⇒that bit about ~は、「~という場面、局面、くだり」といったニュアンスだと思いますが、これを文法的に説明するのは確かに難しいですね。少なくとも、2とおりの解釈が成り立つだろうと考えられます。 ① especially that bit about my donors staying 'calm' という原文に従うと、このthat bit は、itの中身として、being able to do my work wellとの同列であると見なすことができます。すなわち、《仕事をうまくこなせること、特にドナーが「冷静」でいてくれること(が私にとって意味のあることだ)》ということです。 ② especially that bit about making / letting my donors stay 'calm' のように、making または letting を補って解釈すると、このthat bit は my workのうちの一部を表していると解釈できますね。《仕事をうまくこなせること、(そのうち)特にドナーが「冷静」でいてくれるようにすること(が私にとって意味のあること/重要なことです)》。しかし、このように、新たな意味を付与するmakingや lettingのような「大物」が省略されていると見なすのは無理があるとも言えますね。 まとめ ということで、結論として、① の解釈の方に分があると思います。つまり、《that bit は、itの中身として、being able to do my work well(と同格とまではいかないとしても)、これと並んで真主語の一部を成している》、と解釈するのが最も妥当と言えるでしょう。

wtc616
質問者

お礼

長文の回答、どうもありがとうございます。自分は、高校英語までの学校教育英語を平凡に勉強しただけの大学生なので、a bit of の形でしか見たことのないbitをニュアンスで理解するのが難しかったです。ですが、ここでの意味は納得出来ました❗ 言葉だけのお礼しか出来ませんが、ありがとうございました❗

関連するQ&A

• 英検準2級の英文の解釈を教えてください

英検準2級の過去問をやっていて以下のような文章が出てきました。 He thought being able to swim was useful, and learning to swim taught him a lot about working hard. 彼は泳げることは有益であり、泳ぎを学ぶことは一生懸命に取り組むことについて、多くのことを彼に教えてくれたと思っていた。 「,」までの文についてなのですが、 thoughtの後ろにthatが省略されていて、(being able to swim)がthoughtの目的語になっているんでしょうか?それとも、(being able to swim)はwasの主語なんでしょうか? andも(being able to swim)と(learning to swim)を接続しているのかな。などと思ったりして少し混乱しています。 よろしければ解釈のヒントなど教えてくださいm(_ _)m

• 英文法の解説をお願いいたします。

すいません質問があります。 I knew from being around my father that not everyone means me well. 上記の質問ですが、解説と訳をお願いいたします。 that以降というのはmy fatherを説明しているんですよね。 あと、being around my fatherがいまいち読み下せないというか・・。 とにかくbeingが苦手です・・・。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• mean me well, from being ~ について

http://oshiete1.goo.ne.jp/qa5426908.html ここで質問されている I knew from being around my father that not everyone means me well. についてあらためて質問したいと思います。 1 mean me well の部分について mean は mean +副詞で「心は~である」のような意味で, mean ill to him「彼に悪意を抱く」となるのはわかるのですが, このような mean me というのはどの程度許容されるのでしょうか。 あるいは別の意味なのでしょうか。 2 from being around my father について 「父のまわりにいることによって」で問題ないと思うのですが, 元の質問で回答されている,being を「人々」の意味にとって 「父の周囲の人々から」と解釈することについてどう思われますか。

• テスト勉強に正しい翻訳がほしいです。

Today there's a writer in Chechnya writing about the influence of, well...Chechnya on his body of work. And he's writing the same sort of things I’ve written, or better things. Good, l say. For if all these years of being an American have only readied me to realize my likeness, my kinship, my collegiality with someone I’ll never know, made me able to live literature's most precious wisdom―then being an American, and a writer no less, has served me very well indeed.

• 英文の翻訳お願いします

お友達から、誕生日に『Thinking of you with happy at >Birthday Eve. >Thank you for a lot of love. >I will never forget. >I will being return what I said. >I said it that may you become happily after forgetful of me. >But, >I will never forget. >To you who are special』とMailで来たんですが、私にはわからないのです。 どなたか分かるからいましたら翻訳をしてほしいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英語の翻訳お願いします。

I care so much about you I care about you more than I can say. And that caring and that feeling have a meaning that is more precious and more special to me than I can explain. But let me try to tell you this... Stying ''I care'' means that I will always do everything I can to understand. It means that I will never hurt you. It means that you can trust me. It means that you can tell me. What's wrong. It means that I will try to fix what I can,that I will listen When you need me to hear,and that ~even in your most difficult moment ~all you have to do is say tha word,and your hand and my hand will not be apart. It means that whenever you speak to me,whether words are spoken through a smile or theouge a tear... I will listen with my heart. I do care about you... In a very special wey. メッセージカードの柄としてあったので気になりました。お願いします

• 以下の英文について教えてください

The mournful truth that a man — every man-must die alone, had been thrust sharply into my mind and kept there by the frequent violent attacks of my malady I suffered at that time, every one of which threatened to be the last. (中略) Then my mother died. Her perfect health failed her suddenly, and her decline was not long. But she suffered much, and on the last occasion of my being with her at her bedside she told me that she was very tired and had no fear of death, and would be glad to go but for the thought of leaving me in such a precarious state of health and with a mind distressed. Even then she put no questions to me, but only expressed the hope that her prayers for me would be answered and that at the last we should be together again. I cannot say, as I might say in the case of any other relation or friend, that I had lost her. (中略) It came to me as a great surprise a few years ago to have my secret and most cherished feelings about my own mother expressed to me as I had never heard them expressed before by a friend who, albeit still young, has made himself a name in the world, one who had never known a mother, she having died during his infancy. <最後のIt came to me~の英文について>: It came to me as a great surprise a few years ago~のasは「~として」ですか? as I had never heard them expressed ~のasは「~のように」ですか? (themはmy secret and most cherished feelings ?) my own mother expressed to me as I had never heard them expressed before by a friend のところの意味がよくわからないのですが、 expressedの取り方は、 my own mother expressed to me私自身の母親が私に表現した、 I had never heard them expressed私はそれらが表現されるのを決して聞いたことがない、 ですか? she having died during his infancyここは独立分詞構文で、「彼女は彼の幼年時代に亡くなってしまったので」? ----Far Away and Long Ago :W.H.Hudson

• 英文でわからない構文があります

While my love for mountain climbing led me to climb that one mountain in the Himalayas, my fall helped me reach much greater heights, shaping my thinking about the world and leading me to the advice that I give to all of my students. この英文のmy fall helped me reach much greater heights, shaping my thinking...のところでheightsコンマの後に shapingという動詞ingのところの構文がわかりません これと似たよう英文でコンマの後に動詞ingの構文がわかりません どなたか教えてくださらないでしょうか? 例文 You did a lot of filedwrok, observing chimpanzees in the world. I was reading a book on train, listening to music. When his grandchildren became five, Kaka began to include longer sentences in his messages, using capital letters to help them leran to read.

• 添削お願いします

私にとって初めてできた外国人の友達の一人が引っ越すことになり、手紙を送ろうと思っているのですが、一部通じるかどうか自信のないところがあるので添削してください。よろしくお願いします。 I feel lucky to have you as my friend. Not being able to express everything I want, I've experienced so many frustrations. You made me want to speak English better and that definitely led to be one of my motivations to keep studying it. I want to thank you for that as well as being my friend. 直訳ではないですが言いたいのは以下のようなことです。 「友達になれてうれしいです。言いたいことが伝えられないもどかしい思いをして、もっと英語をうまく話したいと思うようになりました。私が勉強を続けるモチベーションのひとつです。友達でいてくれることだけでなくそのことについてもとても感謝してます。」

• 英語から日本語へ翻訳して頂けないですか?

awww dont think that you have a clumsy English ... i never think that way about you English ... i know that you are doing well on it ... and you never will annoy me wit it . i be so sad if you stop sending me! e-mails .because you think that is annoy me .. went i see, a email from you it make me feel special and happy . it doesnt matter if you wrote it wrong...... please dont never feel that way .... i will do my best to write back to you in japanese so you dont fill bad about you english ... you are doing well .. you are special for me ! この文章です。 よろしくお願いします。