What is the meaning of this story?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • The story is about a police officer who recalls an incident where his friends were killed by a masked ghost, but he always thought they stuck to a false story out of pride.
  • The phrase 'Even when took the coals to them' suggests that even when the firewood was brought to them, they were still burned.
  • The question is whether it is possible that the police officer made up this story because his pride wouldn't allow him to admit that his friends were killed.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

Even when took the coals

I always thought it was pride that made them stick to that story.Even when took the coals to them.この文章の意味が分からなくて質問しました。 マスクを被った幽霊に仲間が皆殺しにされたと、知り合い数人が駆け込んできたことがあったと主人公の警官が昔の出来事を思い出しています。(実際はマスクをつけた1人の男にみんな焼き殺されてた)I always thought it was pride that made them stick to that story.は「彼らはその物語に固執したのはプライドからだった」というのは、1人の人間に皆殺しされたことを認めるなんてプライドが許さなくて、そんな作り話を言ったと取ってもいいでしょうか。続く、Even when took the coals to them.は「彼らの元に薪の火が運ばれたときでさえも」という訳でしょうか。彼らもまた焼き殺されたことを示しているのでしょうか。(前後にそのことは触れられていないのですが、後でそのマスクをつけた男をその警官が焼き殺します)長々とすみません。教えていただけないでしょうか。よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

これは carry coals to の変種ではないかと思います。この熟語は、 to allow one self to be mocked or humiliated ですから、「笑い者にされても」この話を変えないのはプライドからだとばかり思っていた、ということでしょう。 https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/carry+coals

next21hiro
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。まったく間違って考えていました。carry coals to から来ているとはまったく気づきませんでした。教えていただいて前の文とつながりました。参考サイトもありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• evenの考え方

Why is the sea never still? Well, there are times when the sea is nearly still, though no doubt even when it looks like glass there are waves in it too small for us to see.But the sea is always moving, even so much that our eyes can see it, simply because the air above it is moving. この英文のeven so much...のevenを、どのように考えたらいいのか、どのように訳したらいいのか、分かりません。 「しかし、ただ海上で風が動いているという理由で、海は常に目で見えるほど動いている。」 前文からの繋がりで、波が見えないほど海が静かだなんてことはねーけどな!的なことを意味してるとは分かったのですが、evenが付いてることがよく分からなくて困ってます。 でさえ、とか、までも、という意味を当てはめても何だか訳がわかりません。

• when を「でも」や「なのに」として使えるとき

次のような文の場合、 Today I found out that my husband has been lying to a lot of people and told them that Kuma is a brown bear when he's actually a polar bear. when を 「彼は実はシロクマなのにハイイログマだと言った」のように「~なのに」として使えますが、どんな時にこの用法が使えるのですか? いつでも使えるのですか? また、もしこの文を and told them that Kuma is a brown bear BUT he's actually a polar bear. に変えたら不自然になりますか?

• even as をどう訳せばよいのでしょうか

There is a charming tale of Tchekov's about a man who tried to teach a kitten to catch mice. When it wouldn't run after them, he beat it, with the result that even as an adult cat, it cowered with terror in the prescence of a mouse. 'This is the man,' Tchekov adds, 'who taught me Latin.' 上の文の even as を訳せません。 辞書を見ても載っておらず、ネット検索すると、 http://lsa.dialog.jp/qaboard/qab-show-answers.php?no=257 というページを見つけましたが、そのページで紹介されている 「even as という句は、「何かが他の何かと同時に起こることを強調するときに使われる」(used to emphasize that something happens at the same time as something else)」 という説明を読んでも、よく理解できません。 「大人の猫としても・・・」と訳したのですが、 たたかれている子猫を見て、大人の猫が学習するなんてあるのかと疑問に思います。

• Whenの後の単語について

お世話になります。 以下の文についてご教授いただけないでしょうか。 To show our pride in our products and to promote them, sales division employees wear our shoes when meeting with retailers. (1)whenの後はthey areが省略されているであっていますでしょうか? (2)それであっていましたら、その理由はWhenの後のS+be動詞は省略できる原理に従っているということでしょうか? お教えの程宜しくお願い致します。

• when節が真主語?

DUO3.0の文に以下のようなものがあります。 It took us all by surprise when the noted psychologist was accused of kidnapping. その著名な心理学者が誘拐罪で訴えられたことに、私達はみな驚いた。 この文のitの文法的な役割が分かりません。 最初はwhen節を真主語とする仮主語かと思ったのですが、 辞書を見てもそのような用法はありませんでした。 それでは、状況のitと考えたらよいのでしょうか? そうであれば、 It took me by surprise to hear that Carl was moving to Germany. カールがドイツに移り住むと聞いた時には驚いた。 と言う文のto不定詞は真主語かと思ったのですが、副詞句で感情の原因を表していると考えたらよいのでしょうか?

• 翻訳お願いします

She always had to write them our in a punch code they made her learn when she was six years old.

• does lufthansa require ma

Passengers are also required to wear a mask when moving around the aircraft, such as when using the restroom or walking through the cabin. Exceptions to the mask requirement are made for children under the age of six, passengers with medical conditions that prevent them from wearing a mask, and passengers who are actively eating or drinking.

• どう訳せば良いでしょうか

I ended up understanding much more Japanese than I could speak, but many Japanese refuse to believe that foreigners can learn their language (even their English textbooks placed a huge emphasis on the uniqueness of Japanese culture), so people always seemed comfortable talking about me in front of me, assuming I couldn’t understand them (even when I would respond to what they were saying). It made for a lot of awkward situations, It made forはどう訳せば良いでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 和訳をお願いします

I miss you a lot I thought I made that clear when I was talking about not wanting to be here. よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳のアドバイスください!

I've always been thinking I knew better than them as belonged to me, and that's a poor sort of life, when you can't look to them nearest to you to help with a bit better thought than what you've got inside you already. ちなみに私が訳したのは、「私は、私に属するそれらより、より知っている。そしてそれは人生の気の毒な一種である。あなたがあなたに一番近いそれらを見つけることが出来ないとき、あなたが既に内部にもっていることより、ほんの少しの良い考えであなたを助けることを私はいつも思っている。」  ですが、なんか今ひとつ意味がわからなく納得できません。nearest to you がthemにかかるのは分かります。 what以下は何らかのthoughtだと思うのですが、、、ヒントを下さい。よろしくお願いします。