• ベストアンサー
  • 困ってます

following

When I was 16, our family had a foreign student come live with us on a summer exchange program. He was also 16. He wanted to stay beyond his visa, so my parents arranged to take legal guardianship of him. It was very stressful having him move into our family. My mom and I constantly fought about his presence in our home. Six months following the guardianship, my dad moved out and my parents divorced. Six months following the guardianshipはSix months after the guardianshipと同意でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

共感・応援の気持ちを伝えよう!

• 回答数3
  • 閲覧数70
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • 回答No.3

afterとは時間の起点が変わるので置き換えできないと思います。 Six months following the guardianship これはthe guardianshipに伴いその後6ヶ月で。 アフターにするとthe guardianshipは終わって6ヶ月後。本来はfollowing the acquisition of the guardianship, after the termination of the guardianship とでもするべきなんでしょうが、ニュアンスで通じるものは省略してもネイティブはOKなんでしょう。なかなか真似できないです。

共感・感謝の気持ちを伝えよう!

質問者からのお礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (2)

• 回答No.2
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率81% (8025/9902)

>Six months following the guardianshipはSix months after the guardianshipと同意でしょうか? ⇒はい、ほとんど同意と言えるでしょうね。 もし、あえて違いをつけるなら、 Six months after the guardianshipが単に「時間的な後」を述べるだけなのに対して、 Six months following the guardianshipは「因果関係を含む前後関係」を示唆している語法だと思います。 ということで、強いて訳し分けるとすれば、 「~の6か月あとに」対「~がもとでその6か月あとに」 といったニュアンスの違いではないでしょうか。

共感・感謝の気持ちを伝えよう!

質問者からのお礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

• 回答No.1
  • cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2667/3937)

> Six months following the guardianshipはSix months after the guardianshipと > 同意でしょうか? その理解で良いと思います。

共感・感謝の気持ちを伝えよう!

質問者からのお礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• I'm starting to get you

I gave my iPod to my crush for his thirtieth birthday. For the first time in our six-year friendship, he said, "I'm starting to get you. I'm starting to get youは「君のことが好きになり始めた」でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 翻訳をお願い致します!

After Scott's stepbrother Craig was hit by a car and died in California, his biological father became detached from him, and the summer visits became less frequent. Weiland and his family later moved to Huntington Beach, California when he was 14 years old and he began attending Edison High School. During his time at Edison he initially played a lot of sports but he was a hard partier and never quite felt like he fit in, his partying eventually led his parents to put him in a psych ward for three months and have him carted off from school.

• Following について

お世話になっております。 And this year, Switzeeland takes to honors for quality of life. Following Switzerland were Australia, Norway, Sweden and Denmark. (そして、今年は、スイスが生活の質においてトップになった。スイスに続いては、オーストラリア、ノルウェー、スウェーデン、デンマークだ。) 上記のfollowingの使い方について、よくわかりません。。 通常の語順では、下記のとおりになるかと思います。 Australia, Norway, Sweden and Denmark followed Switzerland. どうして、Following Switzerland were Australia...はどういう文法ルールで書き換えることができるのでしょうか。「倒置」「強調」とかだと思ったりしますが、そのルールがよくわかりません。。。 また、Followed Switzerland were Australia... と-edではなく、 -ingではじまるのでしょうか等、教えて頂けますよう、どうぞよろしくお願いいたしますm(_ _)m

• このfollowingの品詞は?He began to stride from the hall, Rhalina and Beldan following.

こんにちは、いつもお世話になります。 現在、ムアコック著「紅衣の公子コルム(Corum)(2)」という洋書を翻訳本と共に読み進めているのですが、 その中でこんな文章がありました。 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ He began to stride from the hall, Rhalina and Beldan following. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 剣の女王、第一部1章「海の神が捨てたもの(What the sea God discarded)」より 要するに、主人公が大股で広間を出て、ラリーナとベルダンがそのあとを追った、訳ですが、 followingの品詞が今一分かりません。動詞の進行形だとすると、主人公が過去形で、二人が現在進行形というのもおかしいので、形容詞なのかな?と考えています。 この考え方は正しいのでしょうか? また、He began to stride from the hall. Rhalina and Beldan followed him.としたら何か意味が変わるのでしょうか? 教えてください、よろしくお願い致します。

• lost his way

I thought my husband and I had a great marriage -- until I looked on his phone and found text messages to another woman. I was crushed. I asked him about it, and he said that it was nothing and that there were only a few messages. When I checked our cellphone details, I was completely devastated to find that it had been going on for almost a year and there were almost 2,000 text messages during the past six months. When I talked to him about this and all the lies he had told me, he said he had lost his way and he was sorry and didn't want to lose me. lost his wayはここではどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• alternate holidays

My parents have been divorced for 15 years. Dad is remarried; my mother lives alone. My brother and I alternate holidays every year, and this year he was supposed to host our mother. alternate holidaysとはどういうことでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 06センター試験(本試験、英語)第6問

While I was growing up in our small town, Rosemont, I always thought of my neighbor, Mr. Peal, as a strange and somewhat frightening old man. He was always yelling at me and my playmates to stay away from his yard and his old truck. My parents never said much about Mr. Peal and only told me to leave him alone, so I never had any reason to believe he was anything more than an unpleasant old man. 最後の文章の he was anything more than...の部分が理解できません。どういう訳でなぜそうなるのか(文法・熟語などの説明)をしていただけるでしょうか。

• 文法  following OET

病院の看護師から、違う施設への看護師の紹介状の例の一文です。 Her stay was uncomplicated, following the usual course of dressing s, analgesia and prophylactic antibiotic cover. 彼女はthe usual course of dressing s, analgesia and prophylactic antibiotic cover の治療を受けて 複雑なケースではなかったということが言われていると思います。 この コンマ+following とういう文法かわかりません。 分詞構文の付帯状況ですか??もしそれなら、なぜここにコンマがくるのかわかりません。。 このfollowing はafter と同じ前置詞のような役割ですか?

• 意味を教えてください

I was divorced for 10 years, and am now remarried. Four months after we said I do, my first husband left me (on Valentine's Day!) without a word. It was out of character for him not to come home, and I was so worried I reported him to the police as a missing person. If that wasn't enough, he left me owing the power and water bills, and our rent was three months behind. owing the power and water billsの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• follow up with

I asked a friend of mine to look at my dating app messages, and he told me I was coming across as “needy” and “desperate.” His reasoning was that I followed up with girls I’d been talking to when they hadn’t responded. followed up with girls I’d been talking toの訳をよろしくお願いします