Why is it in the past perfect form? What does 'ever' mean? What is the word origin of 'transmit'?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Find out why the last sentence is in the past perfect form and the meaning of 'ever'.
  • Learn about the word origin of 'transmit' and the correct option in the given question.
  • Get an explanation for why the last sentence is in the past perfect form and the meaning of 'ever', and understand the correct option in the word origin question.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文についての質問

By the age of 21, Philo Farnsworth had found investors, a few assistants, and a loving wife, Pem, who assisted him in his research. He set up a laboratory in an empty loft. On Sept. 7, 1927, Farnsworth painted a square of glass black and scratched a straight line on the center. He gave the square of glass to Pem's brother, who took it to another room and dropped it between a camera tube and a carbon-arc lamp. Farnsworth watched the receiver. He saw the straight-line image and then, as Pem's brother turned the slide 90 degrees, he saw it move. He had seen the first all-electronic television picture ever transmitted. この英文の最後の He had seen the first all-electronic television picture ever transmitted. について、 過去完了形になっているのは何故ですか? また、この中のeverの意味はどのように取ればいいのでしょうか?絶えず、始終、ですか? さらに、 この英文全体に対する問題で、 The word origin of "transmit" is A. to send. B. to send across. C. to broadcast. D. to move from place to place. というのがあり、答えはBだったのですが、理由が今ひとつわかりませんでした。 解説を頂けるとありがたいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • koncha108
  • ベストアンサー率49% (1312/2665)
回答No.2

過去完了にする意味は二つ考えられて、一つはFarnsworthが数々の実験を重ねてそれまで見ることができなかった電子的な映像の伝送をようやく初めて見たと言う過去まで含めた時間的な厚みをあらわしている事。もう一つはそれまでの人類の長い歴史の中で初めて彼が見たと言うこと。完了形は必ずある時間の幅をニュアンスに含みますが、この文だけからはどちらとも言えません。ただどうやら感動的な場面の話なのでどちらにしても、これまで見ることができなかったものを初めて見たと言うことを表したかったのでしょう。 everは永遠の過去から永遠の未来へと引かれた時間の線を想像してください。その中のあるポイントで初めて見た。日本語にそう言う感覚が無いので訳す時に「いまだかつて」とか「これからもずっと」や「終始」などと言うように適宜言葉を変えてしまいます。ここでは「いまだかつて初めて」みたいな意味です。 trasmitはあるものをある場所からある場所に移動させる意味ですが、transはtransfer,translate,transit、trans-oceanなどある2つのものの間をまたがって何かをするようなこと。すると、 A には二つのものの間という意味がなく、C はあるものを同時に幅広くつたえる Dは自分自身が移動する なのでBのみが正解で、このお話で描かれている状況(会う部屋から別の部屋に画像を送る)にあっています。

r_llwqcxary
質問者

お礼

回答していただいてありがとうございました。 解説していただいて、ニュアンスがなんとなくですが掴めました。 Bの答えも理由がわかりました。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.1

テレビジョン発明期のはなしのようですが,この実験の様子がわかりますか? 添付画像を見てください。 (1)光源とカメラ(撮像管)のあいだに「スリットが入った黒いガラス板」を置き,それを受像器へ電送した。画面には縦のスリットが見えた。 (2)つぎに,ガラス板を90度回転させると,画面のスリットが90度回転して横になるのが見えた。 (2)の過去にたいして,(1)で見た縦線を,過去完了で「最初の画像だった」と述べているのでしょう。(2)を確認しないと,正しく映像が電送されているかどうかわかりません。 ever は「かつて」。たとえば,  It is the first record ever known.  それは,知られているうちで最初の記録である。 のような決まり文句です。 transmit については,語源辞典 https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=transmit をひくと, ーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーー引用 transmit (v.) c. 1400, from Latin transmittere "send across, cause to go across, transfer, pass on," from trans "across, beyond" (see trans-) + mittere "to release, let go; send, throw" (see mission). Related: Transmitted; transmitting. ーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーー ラテン語で send across を意味する言葉だとわかります。しかし,課題文から判断しろというのは,無理難題じゃないですか。

r_llwqcxary
質問者

お礼

回答していただいてありがとうございました。 また、画像をつけていただいて実験の様子がなんとなくわかりました。(専門的なところはわかりませんでした。) 解説していただいてありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• readingの問題を教えてください。

By the age of 21, Philo Farnsworth had found investors, a few assistants, and a loving wife, Pem, who assisted him in his research. He set up a laboratory in an empty loft. On Sept. 7, 1927, Farnsworth painted a square of glass black and scratched a straight line on the center. He gave the square of glass to Pem's brother, who took it to another room and dropped it between a camera tube and a carbon-arc lamp. Farnsworth watched the receiver. He saw the straight-line image and then, as Pem's brother turned the slide 90 degrees, he saw it move. He had seen the first all-electronic television picture ever transmitted. 問題: The word origin of "transmit" is A . to send. B. to send across. C. to broadcast. D. to move from place to place. 正解はBのto send acrossなのですが、なぜBになるのかがよくわかりません。 解説がいただけると助かります。 よろしくお願い致します。

• 英文の訳が分かりません

英文の訳が分かりません But it had also been suggested by the book that he had just taken out of the drawer. it was a peculiarly beautiful book. its smooth creamy paper, a little yellowed by age, was of a kind that had not been manufactured for at least forty years past. He could guess, however, that the book was much older than that. He had seen it lying in the window of a frowzy little junk-shop in a slummy quarter of the town ( just what quarter he did not now remember ) and had been stricken immediately by an overwhelming desire to possess it. party members were supposed not to go into ordinary shops ( ‘dealing on the free market ’, it was called), but the rule was not strictly kept, because there were various things such as shoelaces and razor blades which it was impossible to get hold of in any other way. He had given a quick glance up and down the street and then had slipped inside and bought the book for two dollars fifty. At the time he was not conscious of wanting it for any particular purpose He had carried it guiltily home in his briefcase. Even with nothing written in it, it was a com-promising possession この英文を全訳してもらえるとありがたいです。

• この英文の和訳お願いします。

翻訳サイトではわかりづらかったので質問しました。 almoner? がこちらのプリントのミスなのか辞書でもでてきませんでした。 誤字はないと思います。 For most of his life he had worked as a commercial artist. "I did a bit of tickling" delicate lettering and design for advertising blocks. In his late sixties he experienced long spells of illness. When he was able to work he went as bottlewasher to a dairy. He was obliged to gibe up work finally because of ill-health and growing infirmity at the age of seventy-two. Since the death of his wife his social activities had contracted. He did not get up for long and rarely went out, except at week-ends for his pension and his shopping. Even his visits to an infirm brother living some miles away had fallen off. "I used to go over and see him every Tuesday night last year up to that fog we had in November. Then I just lay on my bed coughing my and coughing. Coughing all day and night, thinking my time had come. But it wasn't to be." He regretted not having children, especially a daughter, who "might have stood by me when I got old", and he had no nephews or nieces living in London. The neighbours saw little of him. Next door was "Mrs Lipstick and Powder, that's what I calls her, always going out." On the other side was "Mrs Fly-by-night. She rushes past me on the stairs now, like some of the others, without asking how I am. Not that I mind. But they used to do it and since I came out of hospital and go around just like a decrepit old man decrepit, yes - I suppose they don't like to ask how I am in case they feel they should do something. But there - life's like that, isn't it?" He had lost touch with all his friends and did not approve of old people's clubs. "They're all clicks of decrepit old people." His opinion of national assistance officials, doctors, almoners, and nurses was favourable, except that sometimes they "kept you in the dark" or "treated you like a little child". He had refused offers of a home help, mainly, it appeared, from a sense of privacy, shame of his home, misunderstanding about payment, and suspicion of the sort of woman who would come. His memories of contacts with doctors and hospitals were extremely vivid and he recalled at length some of his experiences. He talked about an almoner who was "a lovely looking party", about his new dentures, "I don't wear the top, it's more comfortable', and with pride about his one perfect faculty, his eyesight. On occasions when he could scarcely walk it never occurred to him to ask his doctor to visit him; he preferred to make painful journeys to the surgery.

• 英文の質問ですm(_ _)m

Because they had seen it all before, and had practical experience of how recurring situations had been effectively dealt with, they were a valued and valuable resource to the community. of how 〜 deal withは不完全文ですが、先行詞のexperience の説明という解釈でいいのでしょうか?また、このhowはどの用法で使われているのでしょうか?どなたか分かる方回答宜しくお願い致します。

• 英文の邦訳を願います。

In a scientific paper published in 1672 about “shining flesh,” Boyle inserted a narrative about the “night before,” and set up a mousetrap of his own, a fact-within-a-fact, so to speak: Yesterday, when I was about to go to bed, an amanuensis of mine, accustomed to make observations, informed me, that one of the servants of the house, going upon some occasion to the larder, was frightened by something luminous, that she saw . . . where the meat had been hung up before. Whereupon, suspending for a while my going to rest, I presently sent for the meat into my chamber, and caused it to be placed in a corner of a room capable of being made considerably dark, and then I plainly saw, both with wonder and delight, that the joint of meat did, in divers places, shine like rotten wood or stinking fish; which was so uncommon a sight, that I had presently thought of inviting you to be a sharer in the pleasure of it. (quoted in Daston and Park 1998:13) 上記英文を御訳し下さい。

• この英文はどんな意味なんでしょうか?

下記は、とある小説の一部ですが、and以下が何を言っているのかわかりません。特にitからsongsまでは、どこからどこが意味のある文節なのか、全くわかりません。具体的な単語がある時のほうが読みやすいのですが、このような文を調べるにはどんな辞書または調べ方をしたらいいのでしょうか? He had a voice for crooning Motown and it cracked me up to hear him put it to work onangsty teenage authority songs--but then again, who knew? One of those things he'd work out in time.

• 英文の和訳をお願いします

映画のとあるシーンです。 普通の人とは違う特殊なものが見える人が、オカルトショップを経営しています。 その店に、変わった男が訪ねてきました。 その時のことを、経営者が思い出しながら話している、という状況です。 He came to my shop. He said he sees it too. He said I can help him stop what's coming... ... that what I saw is salvation. A salvation that some people wants to stop. He said I can help him and I should see what he sees to understand. What I saw was those he killed a long time ago and those he will kill in the future. He just looked at me, sad, and said that he knows my decision before I even say it. He gave me this mashine. He said to use it if the vision changes back.

• 英文を訳して下さい。

On 30 October, before the battle but due to communications delays too late to have any effect, Admiral Jackie Fisher was re-appointed First Sea Lord, replacing Prince Louis of Battenberg, who, along with Churchill, had been preoccupied with fighting to keep his position as First Sea Lord in the face of widespread concern over the senior British Admiral being of German descent. Battenberg was a proven and reliable admiral but was replaced to appease public opinion. The crisis drew the attention of the most senior members of the Admiralty away from the events in South America: Churchill later claimed that if he had not been distracted, he would have questioned the intentions of his admiral at sea more deeply. A signal from Cradock was received by Churchill on 27 October, advising the Admiralty of his intention to leave Canopus behind because of her slow speed and, as previously instructed, to take his remaining ships in search of Spee. He re-stated that he was still expecting reinforcements in the form of Defence, which he had previously been told was coming and that he had given orders for her to follow him as soon as possible. Although Defence had once been sent to reinforce Cradock, it had then been recalled part way, returned to the Mediterranean and then been sent again to form part of a new squadron patrolling the eastern coast of South America. A misunderstanding had arisen between Cradock and the Admiralty over how ships were to be assigned and used. Cradock believed he was expected to advance against Spee with those forces he had, whereas the Admiralty expected him to exercise caution, using Canopus for defence and merely to scout for the enemy or take advantage of any situation where he might come across part of the enemy force. Churchill replied to the signal, telling Cradock that Defence was to remain on the east coast and that Cradock was considered to have sufficient forces for his task, making no comment about his plan to abandon Canopus. Churchill had passed on the message to the Admiralty staff, saying he did not properly understand what Cradock intended. Cradock probably received Churchill's reply on 1 November with the messages collected by Glasgow at Coronel, giving him time to read it before the battle. Thus, Cradock would have taken the message as final confirmation that he was doing what was expected. Departing from Stanley he had left behind a letter to be forwarded to Admiral of the Fleet Sir Hedworth Meux in the event of his death. In this, he commented that he did not intend to suffer the fate of Rear Admiral Ernest Troubridge, a friend of Cradock, who at the time was awaiting court-martial for failing to engage the enemy. The governor of the Falklands reported that Cradock had not expected to survive, as did the governor's aide.

• 英文の訳をお願いします

以下の文章を訳していただけますか。お願いします。 He deeply desires, a true friend, someone whom he can express his feelings and thoughts to. People and relationships are important to him despite his independent exterior. He is interested in the lives and affairs of those close to him. He is an excellent arbitrator, negotiator and peace maker and meddler in other peoples problems. But not soft B, he is as forceful as he feels is necessary for achieving his own aims and ambitions, and if he feels others are not appreciative of what he is trying to do, then he will consider them unworthy of his time and efforts and he will take back what ever efforts he has made on their behalf, or whatever he has given then, When he gives to people it is not free, even if it just advice, it comes on loan. And at some point the loan is recalled. The favour owed is collected like a debt by him.

• 英文の和訳

英文を和訳していただけるかた のみでお願いできますでしょうか? 1段落の前半部分となります。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 The relationship may curtail your freedom. It will stir your emotions in ever possible way. Both of you will want independence or your own way, and for the other to follow,, so the courtship may be a long, lively, passionate and furious one before marriage is ever mentioned. Saturn is like the thunder and the fire, a love that can be impatient, cold immovable and withdrawn, or fast passionate and impulsive, a sea saw relationship, ever changing its pace and mood. There will be someone who keeps you apart or is an obstacle. But through the struggle to be together to carve out your own life you will gain strength of character. He will take the weight of burdens off your shoulders. He will be a wanderer who makes his own rules, rather than abiding by other peoples.