Should I Apologize? A Tricky Situation with a Disabled Person

このQ&Aのポイント
  • A person recently tried to assist a disabled person but ended up making her uncomfortable.
  • The disabled person insisted that she didn't need help, but the helper insists he overreacted.
  • The helper is now unsure whether to apologize or how to make the situation less awkward.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

よろしくお願いします

Q. Help is not needed: I recently tried to assist a disabled person getting out of an SUV onto a wheelchair. At the time, it seemed like she had trouble controlling the chair, and I rushed to help. She was brought to tears as she tried to get me to move away. But then she seemed like she was about to fall again while trying to sit in the chair. In retrospect, I think I might have overreacted. But, again, she insisted that I did not help her. I see that person more or less every day, and I am uncomfortable about the right thing. I don’t know if apologizing will make things worse. Is there anything to do to make this right or less awkward? A: You say the woman in question seemed “about to fall again” but not that she ever actually fell, a detail I believe you would have included had it actually happened. she insisted that I did not help her.は「彼女は私を助けないでと主張した」でしょうか?あと、 not that she ever actually fell, a detail I believe you would have included had it actually happenedのeverはどのような役割でしょうか?また、had it actually happenedは仮定法でしょうか?not that以下の全体の訳も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4123/5358)
  • 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9726/12098)
回答No.4

ご質問の原文をよく読んでみましたが、確かにむずかしいですね。 >she insisted that I did not help her.は「彼女は私を助けないでと主張した」でしょうか? ⇒はい、そうだと思います。 伝統文法的には、she insisted that I should not help her.「彼女は私に手助けしないように/すべきではない と主張した」、のようにするところですが、実用上は、shouldを使わないことが(特に米国で)よくあります。〔「insistの中にその代用機能が含まれる」とみなすようです。〕 >not that she ever actually fell, a detail I believe you would have included had it actually happenedのeverはどのような役割でしょうか? ⇒これも米口語で、「本当は」の意味です。 ☆「(再び倒れそうに見えたが)本当は(倒れなかった)」。 >had it actually happenedは仮定法でしょうか? ⇒はい、仮定法過去です。 標準的な表現では、if it had actually happened「もしそれが実際に起こっていたなら(あなたはそれも含めて言及していたはずだと思います)」、といったニュアンスでしょう。 >not that以下の全体の訳も教えてください。 ⇒(You say the woman in question seemed “about to fall again” but) not that she ever actually fell, a (in) detail I believe you would have included had it actually happened. 「(あなたは、問題の女性が再び倒れそうに見えたけれども)本当は倒れなかった」と言っていますよね。つまり、細かく言えば、それが実際に起こっていたらあなたはそれも含めて言及していたはず(だと思いますけれども、そうは言っていませんよね)」。 *a detail「詳細は」は、通常in detail「細かくは」と言うのが普通かも知れません。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (3)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.3

1。she insisted that I did not help her.は「彼女は私を助けないでと主張した」でしょうか?  はい、そうです。 2。あと、 not that she ever actually fell, a detail I believe you would have included had it actually happenedのeverはどのような役割でしょうか? 下記の1「今までに」でしょう。  https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=ever 3。また、had it actually happenedは仮定法でしょうか?  はい、if が省略されて、主語と動詞が倒置されている仮定法です。 4。not that以下の全体の訳も教えてください。   (お話では、問題のその女性は「今にもまた倒れそうに見えた」とは言っていますが)もし実際に起こったことなら貴女の話に入っているはずの詳細、すなわち、彼女が実際に倒れた、とは言っていませんね。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

• koncha108
  • ベストアンサー率49% (1312/2665)
回答No.2

> she insisted that I did not help her.は「彼女は私を助けないでと主張した」でしょうか? そうです。直訳すると、「彼女は、私が彼女を助けないでいること、を要求した」。つまり「彼女は私に助けないよう強く主張した」。 > not that she ever actually fell, a detail I believe you would have included had it actually happenedのeverはどのような役割でしょうか? えっと、ここはその前の文から見ないと文脈が取れないです。 > You say the woman in question seemed “about to fall again” but 「あなたはその話題になってる女性が”また倒れそう”に見えたと言うけど」 "again"って言うことは、以前倒れたのを見たことがあるかの印象も与えますが、 > not that she ever actually fell, 「彼女が今までに実際倒れた、とは言っていないわね」と言う意味。 notは前の、You say .... を受けて、but you don't say that ... notはdon't say をひとことに束ねています。 > had it actually happenedは仮定法でしょうか? a detail以下の文はちょっとややこしいのですが仮定法や倒置は使われていません。 a detail I believe you would have included had it actually happened. I believe は挿入句でとりあえず省いて後で付け加えれば良い。その後は that you would have included のthatが省略されていて、a detail that you would have included 全体で主語。全体の骨組みは、 a detail had it actually happened. 「詳細はそれ(その女性が倒れること)が実際に起ったことにしていた」。で他の部分を合わせて意訳すると、 「あなたは、それが実際に起ったと言うことを細かいところに含んでいるんじゃないかと私は思う」。 この回答者には、今まで(かつて:ever) 女性が倒れたことがあるのかどうかわからないけど(多分無いと思っている)、相談者はあたかも彼女が以前倒れたことがあるかのような言い方(again)をしてるわよね、と言うようなお話です。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

> she insisted that I did not help her.は「彼女は私を助けないでと主張した」でしょうか?  その女性が車いすに乗ろうとする際にうまく乗れないでずり落ちそうになった時に、書き手はそれを見ていたのに助けようとしなかったと、その女性から非難された、という意味に取れます。 > not that she ever actually fell, a detail I believe you would have included had it actually happenedのeverはどのような役割でしょうか?  実際にそのことが起こったということを明確に表示する役割。「実際にはその女性は車椅子に乗り損ねたわけではないのでしょ? だって、乗り損なえたのだったら、あなたはそのことを書いたはずだから」 と述べています。確かに。 > had it actually happenedは仮定法でしょうか?  だと思います。 > actually fell, a detail I believe you would have included had it actually happenedのeverはどのような役割でしょうか?  not that ... は、that 以下に述べることの否定。 > not that以下の全体の訳も教えてください。  「その女性が本当に車椅子から落ちたということをあなたは言っていない」

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• 連鎖関係代名詞

She opened a door to learning that I had not even known existed 2文にわけると She opened a door to learning that existed. I had not even known it. 又は I had not even known a door to learning that existed. She opened it. でいいでしょうか? This is the book which you said he is reading これはあなたが言った彼が読んでいる本である。 上記の文はyou said this is the book which he is reading だと同義になるのでしょうか?

• 過去完了について

She had tried to conceive a baby for many years, but she ended up miscarrying every time. She was on the verge of giving up on becoming a mother. After all, it seemed pretty obvious that her dreams of having children had been crushed. Then a miracle happened. She had triedの部分は過去の一定期間赤ちゃんを妊娠しようとした、という感じでしょうか?had been crushedのところはなぜ過去形ではダメなのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 【英語・準動詞】宿題

英語の宿題で、わからないとこを教えて下さいっ m(_ _)m 1.(カッコ)に適切な語を入れてください (1)「その子犬は一匹で残されるのが好きではない。」 The puppy doesn't like ( )( )alone. (2)「いいアパートが見つかったことが、私たちはうれしい。」 We are happy at ( ) ( )a good apartment. 2.各組がほぼ同じ内容になるようにお願いします。 (1)●It seemed that she had a cold When I saw her. ■She ( )( )( ) a cold When I saw her. (2)●It seemed that the bus had left before I got there. ■The bus ( )( )( ) ( ) before I got there. 以上です!

• 同じ意味になるにはどうしたらいいですか?

同じ意味になるにはどうしたらいいですか? 1.Dick insisted that I should pay the bill. Dick insisted( ) ( ) paying the bill. 2.Lucky regrets that she did not save the money. Lucky regrets ( ) ( ) save dthe money. 3.I make it a rule to go to bed at eleven. I am ( ) the ( )( ) going to bed at eleven. 4.Tom complains that his job gives him no satisfaction. Tom complains ( ) his job ( ) no satisfaction ( ). よろしくお願いしします

• 和訳お願いします

When Help the Hungry insisted on continuing without a licence the city is sued an injunction. Unless they stopped they could be arrested and fined. Thus it happened that Jeff found himself arrested by the police just for trying to help  people. When ordered to pay a fine he told the court:"Why should I be punished just for trying to help people? I refuse to pay."The judge had to decide what to do with this well-meaning young man.

• hope

( )にhopeを補った場合【不適切】なものはどれか 1.I ( ) to see you again. 2.I ( ) you to attend the meeting. 3.I ( ) that my son will become a doctor. 4.I ( ) it will not rain tomorrow. 答えは2 hopeはwant形が取れないとありますがwant形とはなんですか。 〇I hope to V 〇I hope that ×I hope A to do

• 不定詞に書き換える

It seems that she is interested in history. と言う文章を不定詞を用いて書き換えたいのですが、 She seems to interested in history でいいでしょうか?良くわからないので教えて下さい。 もう1つあるのですが、 It happened that I was talking a bath. と言う文章をhappen to~を用いて書き換えたいのですが、こちらは全く分かりません。教えて下さい(泣)

• 不定詞を使って書き換える ④

問題が解けません。色々調べても、どんな風に応用すればいいのかが全く分かりません。たくさんありますが、どなたか教えてください。お願いします。 ⑥We believed that he was a very rich man. ⑦I did not know whom I should send in my behalf. ⑧It was said that she had been carried away by a tiger. ⑨It is not necessary that you should write it over again. ⑩I awoke and found that I was alone in the house.

• 和訳を願いたいです

It was during our second year on the Kalahari that I first met Bones. One afternoon, across the open plain, I happened to see him. He was standing over the body of an African deer that seemed to have been killed months before. He was trying to eat the old, hard skin of the dead animal. He probably had not eaten for a long time. I could clearly see his ribs under his loose, hanging skin. As my truck slowly approached, he started to walk away. Every few steps he fell to the ground and then struggled to get on his feet again. Finally, he fell hard to the ground and didn’t get up. He didn’t move at all. It was clear that he was dying. Now I was faced with a dilemma. I debated whether I should try to save his life or not. I said to myself that I was on the Kalahari to study the animals, not to interfere with them in any way. But I also felt I might later regret not having tried to help him. After thinking it over for a while, I finally decided to save him if I could. (1)What was the lion trying to eat when Mark first saw him? (2)Why didn’t Mark try to help Bones at first? (3)Did Mark finally decide to help Bones? 和訳と(1)(2)(3)の問題に英語で答えてもらえるとうれしいです。

• My dog seemed to have understood what I ...

what 以降なのですが、         My dog seemed to have understood what I had said. It seemed that my dog had understood what I had said.         で正しいですか?    それとも、一番目の文は have understood に合わせて what I have said にするのでしょうか?    (でも、そうすると seemed の時制には合わないですよね・・・?)