Becoming Friends with a Coworker: Overcoming Income Differences

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Learn about the meaning of 'does payroll' and the implications of income differences in friendship.
  • Find out if it's appropriate to offer to pay the bill when inviting a coworker and her child to an outing.
  • Seeking advice on navigating friendship with a coworker who earns less money.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

よろしくお願いします

I’m a relatively high-level manager at work and I’ve started to become friends with the woman who does payroll. We text, have lunch together, and generally spend a few minutes chatting every day. I’d like to become “real” friends outside of work, but I’m nervous because she knows I make about $100K a year more than she does. We’re both single moms with kids around the same age and have a lot in common, but I worry that she’ll judge me for making more money than she does. Last month she helped me out on a huge project. I’m not in a position to secure a raise for her, so I bought her child a new summer wardrobe. I didn’t tell anyone at work, as I didn’t want to embarrass her, but she helped me so much I wanted to return the favor. If I ask her and her child to accompany me to the zoo or to a movie, is it OK to offer to pick up the tab for all of us? Is that being insulting? does payrollはどのような意味でしょうか?あと、being insultingはなぜ進行形でなくてはいけないのでしょうか?Is that insulting?ではいけないのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4118/5352)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

1。does payrollはどのような意味でしょうか?  「給与係」に勤めている(だから社員の給与額をみんな知ってるわけです) 2。あと、being insultingはなぜ進行形でなくてはいけないのでしょうか?Is that insulting?ではいけないのでしょうか?  ここの insultingは単なる形容詞でしょう。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• she gives me a good deal

For the past four years, I've been having a friend do my hair. "Marcy" and I knew each other in grade school and lost touch, but I saw on Facebook that she was doing hair and decided to start seeing her. She is a very sweet woman and is passionate about her work, and I am grateful that she gives me a good deal. she gives me a good dealというのは「値引きしてくれる」ということでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 和訳してください。

英語に詳しい方、翻訳機を使わずに和訳してください。 細かい部分がよく理解できません。 I trying to convince her that she didn't need to ask me for everything, that I wasn't always right about everything, that she should speak up and stand up for herself and argue with me when I had the wrong idea... but she just didn't want to learn. Deep down inside, I discovered, she was the sort of woman who wanted a strong man to dominate her, whom she could lean on and rely on for anything she needed. She wanted to feel safe and taken care of. I don't think that's a bad thing on its own... but over those years I started to become a man I don't want to be: arrogant, controlling, overconfident. Like I couldn't help but enjoy all that power she was always giving me. But I don't want to be that man. And I don't want to live that relationship. I *have* to be able to grow, to learn, to always be taking life as a new lesson, but how can I do that if I'm never wrong about anything? It was too tempting, and it made me a darker person. So, though I loved her very much and it tore my heart to do it, I had to end our relationship. I was not the man she was looking for, even though she wanted me to be. And she was not the woman I have been looking for, even though I desperately loved her beauty and inner light

• この英語を日本語に訳してください。

この英語を日本語に訳してください。 Last Sunday, when I was waiting for a friend in front of tha atation, I met my elderly neighbor. She had a big bag with her, and she was going to walk across the street. When the light turned green, I helped her with her bag, and we walked across the busy street together. She said ''Thank you'' many times to me. That made me very happy.

• refer

I broke up with someone a year ago. After we broke up, she unfriended me on social media, never responded to my birthday message, and stopped spending time with mutual friends lest she end up around me. Recently I found out that she is looking for new work opportunities. A friend of mine works in the same sector and has a job opening that would be perfect for her. She is extremely qualified, and I think she would enjoy this role. Should I reach out and let her know I can refer her? refer herはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 過去完了について

I invited her out for a nightcap. She asked me, angrily, if she’d done anything to offend me or make me angry. I told her that I wasn’t angry or offended, that I’d tried to do everything I could to keep the peace so we could have a nice trip. I apologized for any friction that might have come about and apologized if she felt excluded in any way; I told her that I’d invited her to breakfast every day and asked her out for a drink that night because I was trying to include her. The conversation became amicable. But the next morning, she was right back to nonverbal responses and furious journaling, with the power converter nowhere in sight. I’d triedと I’d invitedのところはなぜ過去完了なのでしょうか?あと、journalingの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I have been communicating with this girl I work with who is currently seeing a guy she's been with for four years. We have a strong connection and physical attraction, and we have both disclosed our feelings to each other. We communicate rarely by text but never through phone calls, for obvious reasons. Her man works for the same company we do but in a different building. It's clear to me that he doesn't complement her being or lifestyle and will never rise to her level. he doesn't complement her being or lifestyle and will never rise to her levelの訳をよろしくお願いします

• 源氏物語の翻訳について

いつもお世話になっています。 A.Waleyの『TALE OF GENJI 』(帚木 The Broom-Tree)から わからないところと訳の間違っているところを教えていただければと思います。 1) 『 The fact that she had till now sent no poem or conciliatory message seemed to show some hardening of heart, and had already disquieted me. Now I began to fear that her accursed suspiciousness and jealousy had but been a stratagem to make me grow weary of her, and though I could recall no further proof of this I fell into great despair. 』 ●彼女が、今までのところ、詩やもしくは融和的な言づけを送っていなかった事実は、心のかなりの硬化を示すように思われました。そしてすでに私を不安にしていました。今や、私は彼女の始末に負えない疑い深さと嫉妬は、私を彼女にうんざりさせるための、ほんの(ただの)策略だったということを心配し始めました。そして私はもうこれ以上これについての証拠を思い出すことができようもなかったのですが、私は非常な絶望に落ち込みました。・・・・? hardening ・・・名詞ですか? 「some hardening」で「かなりの硬化」? but been a stratagem to・・・・ここの「but」は「ほんの」、「ただの」? proof of this・・・「this」は「her accursed suspiciousness and jealousy had but been a stratagem to make me grow weary of her」ですか? 2) 『 And to show her that, though we no longer met, I still thought of her and planned for her, I got her some stuff for a dress, choosing a most delightful and unusual shade of color, and a material that I knew she would be glad to have. ’For after all,’ I thought, ’she cannot want to put me altogether out of her head.’ 』 ●そして彼女にそれを示すために、私たちはもはや会うことはしなかったのですが、私は依然として彼女について考え、彼女のために計画を立て、私は色の最も楽しいまれな濃淡と、彼女が持つことを嬉しく思うだろうということを私が知っていた生地を選びながら、私は彼女に服用のいくらかの織物を買ってあげました。「というのは、なんといっても」私は思いました。「彼女は完全に私を彼女の頭の外に出したいはずがないからです」・・・・・? And to show her that・・・・「that」は「I fell into great despair」ですか? I still thought of her ・・・「still」は古い英語の用法の「常に」でもいい感じがするのですが、「依然として」を選びました。(どっちでもあてはまりそうなときの決定方法は何かあるのでしょうか?文脈ですか?) some stuff for a dress・・・・「for」は(用途・適用・適性)の「・・・用の」、「・・・にあう」、「ふさわしい」の意味ですか? choosing a most delightful and unusual shade of color・・・ここは choosing (a most delightful and unusual shade) of colorという風に色についてかっこの中がひとまとまりになっている意味ですか? ’she cannot want to put me altogether out of her head.’・・・「cannot」で「~のはずがない」ですか? 3) 『 When I ingormed her of this purchase she did not rebuff me nor make any attmpt to hide from me, but to all my questions she answered quietly and composidely, without any sign that she was ashamed of herself. 』 ●私が彼女にこの購入物について知らせた時、彼女は私をはねつけないばかりでなく、私から隠れるための企てを少しも作らず、私のすべての質問に対して、彼女が彼女自身を恥ずかしく思う少しの表れ(徴候)もなく、彼女は静かに落ち着いて答えました。・・・・? 去ってしまうと追いたくなる心理が表れているような気がします。 よろしくお願い致します。

• walked me through

I've been friends with "Myrtle" for nearly 20 years. She used to work for me. I'm a very strong, independent woman. I've never needed many friends (I've been married to my best friend for 37 years). Myrtle has always been a drama queen. She demands a lot of attention. She is exhausting. Her husband and I have also butted heads over the years. It drains me to hang out with them for any period of time. The last time she had one of her explosions, I backed off. My therapist has walked me through my feelings and I'm now very clear that being with her is unhealthy for me. I tried to back out slowly, but then she created drama over nothing again -- exploding, and then coming back and apologizing. walked me through my feelingsとcreated drama over nothingの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

A woman I work with used to join me and a few others for drinks after work occasionally, and her company is fine enough. However, over the past six months due to a minor promotion, she has become insufferable. She is constantly ratting people out to our principal (I work at a school,) looking for ways to get those she doesn’t like in trouble, and even going as far as to make up things that aren’t true. None of this has been directed at me personally, so I have stayed out of it, while remaining sympathetic to my co-workers who are victims of her power trip. The root of this issue is the way the principal handles HR, but I’m not interested in speaking with her about that. My problem is that this woman is always asking me what I’m doing after work and trying to invite herself along with me and another friend I work with. We both feel uncomfortable socializing with her since we’re disgusted at her behavior, however, I don’t feel I can be direct with her since she has the ear of my boss. I don’t feel I can be direct with her since she has the ear of my boss.の和訳をよろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

My husband and I have been together for a decade but for various monetary reasons are not legally wed. I have stayed out of his relationship with his daughter “Jessica.” I don’t think highly of her—she has been given every advantage in life and squandered it. She got pregnant in college and failed out (we paid for that), and managed to wreck her car (that her mother gave her). I thought she had finally grown up after she met and married “Kyle.” He works full-time and even adopted her son, but doesn’t make a lot of money. My husband sold his house and moved in with me four years ago. Our retirement plans were for both of us to keep working until now, then sell my house and buy a condo down South. A year ago in a moment of complete stupidity, I agreed to let Kyle, Jessica, and her son move into our house to save money so Jessica could go to school to become a stylist. I even switched my work schedule around so I could help with child care. 1 squandered itは「無駄にしてしまった」でしょうか? 2 fail outはdrop outと同意でしょうか? 3 switched my work schedule aroundの意味を教えてください。 以上、よろしくお願いします