My Mom's Recent Health Issues: Dehydration and Refusal to Seek Help

このQ&Aのポイント
  • My mom, who is turning 91 next month, has recently experienced a decline in her physical and mental health. After collapsing in the street due to dehydration, she spent three weeks in the ICU. Despite being back home, she has fallen twice and refuses to take necessary precautions like wearing a Life Alert or carrying a cellphone. She also rejects the option of having groceries delivered.
  • Understanding the Difference: 'She is signed up' vs 'She signed up'
  • There is a slight difference in meaning between 'She is signed up' and 'She signed up'. 'She is signed up' implies that she has already completed the process of signing up, while 'She signed up' refers to the action of signing up in the past without specifying whether it has been completed or not. In this context, 'She is signed up' suggests that she is currently enrolled in a service or program, such as getting groceries delivered.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

どう違うでしょうか

My mom will be 91 next month, and until recently she has been in remarkably good mental and physical health. She lives alone by choice. About a month ago, she collapsed in the street, was taken to the hospital, and spent three weeks in ICU. Her doctors diagnosed her with dehydration. She is home now and has fallen twice, once spending the whole night on the floor. She has a Life Alert and will not wear it. She has a cellphone and will not carry it. (“Who would I call?”) She has a walker and cane and will use neither. She is signed up to get groceries delivered and will not use the service. She is signed upはShe signed upとどう違うでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4123/5358)
  • 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.4

She is signed upはShe signed upとどう違うでしょうか? 1。構文  (い)She signed upは、「彼女は契約した」という主語+句動詞。  (ろ)She is signed upは、「彼女は契約したことになっている」という、下記のような 主語+be動詞+(状態を示す)補語 だと思います。  https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=signed+up 2。意味  両者は、あまりたいした違いはありませんが(い)ですと、ただ「彼女は契約した」という意味になります。  (ろ)ですと、「彼女は契約した状態にあるのだから、注文した食料品を家まで配達してもらって当然だ」といった点に重点が置かれているような気がします。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (3)

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9727/12100)
回答No.3

>She is signed upはShe signed upとどう違うでしょうか? ⇒sign upは、 https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=sign%20uphttps://ejje.weblio.jp/content/signed+up で見られるように、「契約する、申し込む」という意味ですが、 be signed upとの違いは、「誰がするか」でしょう。 つまり、 She signed upは、「彼女(母親)が自分で申し込んだ」、 She is signed upは、「彼女(母親)のために誰かが代って申し込んだ」 という違いを表すものと考えられます。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

noname#232723
noname#232723
回答No.2

She is signed upはShe signed upとどう違うでしょうか? それぞれを日本語化して比較すればいい

回答No.1

sign up は自動詞的にも使えます。 ここは他動詞的に受身になっています。 会社 sign (up) 人 となり、多くの場合、 人に署名させて雇うの意味です。 ここは雇用関係ではなく ただ署名させて契約を結ぶだけのことです。 この受身を使うことで is により契約を結んでいる状態を表すことが可能です。 自動詞の完了としての be 過去分詞に近づきますが、 sign のような語では普通に受身と考えるべき。 自動詞 sign up なら has signed up とすればほぼ同じ意味です。 ただ他動詞の方が署名させる的にはなります。 無理矢理という意味でなく 納得した上でです、筆者と相談したかまではわかりませんが。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• よろしくお願いします

My daughter is a stay-at-home mother with an 8-month-old child. She is a great mother and I am very proud of her. She and her husband allow their very large dog to "clean up" the high chair or walker after the baby has eaten, by licking it "clean." They think it's cute. I think it is disgusting. They do not otherwise clean the items for the next use. I am by no means a clean freak, but this is gross. I will not allow this in my house (they have not yet brought the dog with them). I voiced my surprise and dismay the first time I witnessed this, and just sprayed the items with cleaner after the dog was done. I have not said anything else about it. I understand it is their home and their rules. Should I just continue to clean up the area after the dog is done, or should I say something else? the dog is doneというのは「犬が物を舐め終わった」ということでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 和訳お願いします。

和訳お願いします。 自分で訳してみても文にならず意味がわかりません。 よろしくお願いします。 The next morning it is snowing, but Rachael still has a lot to do. Tonight, she will camp with her dogs in the woods before finishing the race tomorrow. She must carefully pack her sled with all the supplies she will need. Rachaei's friends and family help her to check and re-check her sled and equipment. Later that morning, race organizers go over a map of the course. It is a map that Rachael cannot see. She will rely on her dogs to follow the way. She will also have Matt close by on his snowmobile if she needs help. Day six of the race is a leg that covers a total of 43 miles. Just before she starts, Rachael stops to pet and encourage each member of her dog team. She knows that each one of them has a difficult job to do,so they are her primary concern. Finally, the race starts for the day. The weather is not great, but this leg of the race is going better than yesterday for Rachael. However, there are many difficult turns in the course. Matt has to use his radio to warn Rachael about them several times during the day.

• 添削お願いします。

英作文に添削お願いします。 I respect Ai Miyazato who is a prefessional golfer.There are several reasons for it. First, she has a lot of victories, because she is tough.She has won the 1st prize many times from junior high school student until present time.Second, she is good at not only golf but also English.She has taken place in American tour since 2006, so she has spent a lot of time in Amica.At first, she coudn't speak English well, but she can speak it well now.Third, she always care her fashion.She choose her clothes by herself.She has an eye, so she is fashionable.Fourth, she has her motto;"Where there is a will, there is a way."(意志あるところに道はある)This motto strikes to the heart, so I like it.She has her own mind. It is reason why she is tough.For these seasons, I respect Ai Miyazato very much, so I am going to continue supporting her.

• off at a university

My daughter is 19. Her boyfriend is 18. Over the summer, they were busted for smoking marijuana in her car. The officer gave them the option of letting just one of them take the fall. My daughter volunteered; I considered this a very bad decision. If this gets on her record she will lose her financial aid and college will be, if not impossible, very, very hard. Her boyfriend, however, comes from a very well-heeled family. Regardless, she said that she would take the citation and he would pay the fine. Well, the case has now been heard and it was plea bargained down to a lower offense, but it comes with probation and $700 in costs/attorney's fees. Her boyfriend has paid her $200. She says she is fine with that. I am NOT fine with that. He's well-off. She is broke, and is working while going to a local college. He's off at a university, and I think she's worried that if she makes a big deal about this, he'll reconsider the relationship. off at a universityはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I moved in with my boyfriend fairly recently. His mother, "Betty," comes to the house every day while we are at work and lets the dogs out and helps in the yard. We are totally fine with that and are openly very appreciative; she is a fantastic person and I'm grateful to be accepted into such an awesome family. Amy, we have not asked her for this help. She does it as a kindness, but unfortunately it has gotten a bit out of hand. She decorates to her liking (we change it back). The pool will be skimmed, and the skimmings will be left in a pile, which we have to clean up. The pool will be skimmed, and the skimmings will be left in a pileの訳をよろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

A friend of our family lost her husband a few years ago. He had very little in terms of life insurance, and she’s been living on Social Security and Medicaid ever since. She told us recently that she used her credit card to pay for funeral expenses and hasn’t been able to pay more than the minimal amount each month. Her debt is now several thousand dollars, and she’s scared that she will be put in jail if she doesn’t pay it off soon. I don’t think that will happen as long as she pays something every month—but I’m not sure. She has thought about going bankrupt, but that would ruin her credit rating which she thinks would mean being evicted from her apartment. Can they? And how can we help her? We can’t really afford to pay it off for her; thinking maybe just a lump sum to pay it down somewhat? thinking maybe just a lump sum to pay it down somewhat?の意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

Dear Annie: My adult daughter recently visited from out of state, and she has developed some odd and off-putting habits. I really don't mean to judge her, but I'd also like to help her. At the same time, if I said anything, she might run a hundred miles in the opposite direction. She has stopped showering every day. I'm not sure whether it's a "save the water" thing or what, but frankly, she smells like the zoo. No deodorant, either. Her clothes are dirty, as well. She has also dropped table manners. She frequently eats with her hands -- says it's what they do in other countries. Her open mouth chews away as she talks, with bits of food spraying all over. She burps freely, and it's not a health/indigestion issue. Her body language says "relax," no matter what position she's in -- slumped at the table, reclined on the couch, etc. I think she's trying to be as earthy as possible. Her husband is very similar, so at least they're not offending each other. -- Judgmental-ish Mom Dear Judgmental-ish Mom: It sounds as if your flower child has taken on a whole new look and smell, and she wants you and everyone around her to notice it. It is lovely that she has found a more relaxed state of living, but not at the expense of her own hygiene. The dirty clothing and lack of bathing will eventually catch up with her -- perhaps in the form of a rash or sickness, and that would take away from her and her husband's "relaxed" state. The dirty clothing and lack of bathing will eventually catch up with herの和訳をよろしくお願いします

• 和訳お願いします2

以下の文章を和訳お願いします>< 同時に質問しているものの続きの文章になります。 少々長いのですが宜しくお願いします>< 4. Month 2: Since starting her diet, Shumpert has gained endurance and self-discipline. She needs plenty of it as she faces temptation from her family and her fiancé. "Food is a huge part of our relationship. And so if I'm not eating as much as him, I don't know if it fmakes him feel bad, but he's just like, ’Come on, eat it. Don't make me eat by myself.'" Despite the temptations, Shumpert is sticking to her diet and talking an extra step: Although she's limiting herself to a meager 1,500 calories. And she's keeping a close record in her food journal. But is all her hard work paying off? At her second weigh-in, Shumpert, who started out at 308 Ibs., is down a whopping 14 Ibs. 5. Things are running down to the wire for Shumpert. Adding to her mounting stress is the fixer-upper house she and her fiancé bought, which needs extensive remodeling. She decides to give herself a break and relieve some tension. On her last birthday as single woman, she throws her worries aside and hits her favorite Mexican restaurant. "I don't feel bad about it. I don't feel guilty. I'm enjoying my birthday," she said that night. Of course, she pays dearly the next morning: As she's doing her leg presses, she hates those tacos. Her gown has finally arrived and it's the moment of truth: Lisa gets the dress on, but still can't zip it up. Her dressmaker holds off on alterations for three weeks-which is not alot of time to lose another four inches from her waist. 6.Her Wedding Day: by her wedding day, Shumpert has lost a total of 30 Ibs. It's short of her 40-Ibs. goal, but for her, it's an amazing achievement. The woman who couldn't fit in the largest size of her wedding dress can comfortably zip her gown. She went from a size 24 two a size 18. Did she keep the weight off? A year after her wedding, Lisa Shumpert has maintained her weight.

• よろしくお願いします

I am a 24-year-old college graduate in my first serious romantic relationship. My experience with girls before this was extremely limited. I've been dating my girlfriend for over six months now, and she is wonderful. However, her weight has always been a minor issue in the back of my mind: She is not fat but she has a few extra pounds and this can be seen more when she's wearing fewer clothes. I love her and would never ask or demand her to change just for me, but I've been thinking more and more about how her weight bothers me a little bit. I'm a very thin guy and have naturally gravitated physically toward thinner girls. Until now, I have avoided talking about the matter with my girlfriend except in general terms about others, or the few times she has brought up and engaged with me directly on the matter. When her doctor told her she needed to lose some weight to be healthier, she was upset, although she did not disagree. So I spoke to my therapist and my roommate, and although they're both men, they both thought that if it was something on my mind and was making me a little uneasy that I should bring it up with her. I did, and she did not respond with as much understanding as I hoped. She felt hurt and a little violated, like the one guy who's supposed to love and accept her and find her beautiful just the way she is was attacking a part of her identity. She was shocked, confused and taken aback. She tried to explain how some issues are so sensitive, touchy and personal for women that they should never really be brought up for the sake of the satisfaction in the relationship. In all fairness, I did bring it up a little suddenly and not in the most tactful or direct way, but I didn't know how else to start a hard, uncomfortable conversation I was not looking forward to. She has genes that make it easier for her to gain weight and harder to lose. She has recently started going to the gym, and I was trying to support and encourage her to go more consistently. My question for you is: Was I wrong for not being sensitive to how women think? Should I have let it go if I considered it a smaller issue in our relationship? Would it have made a difference if I spoke to another woman to ask her thoughts beforehand on if and how I should bring this up with my girlfriend? Did I need to? I love her and she is very big on being honest and open and comfortable in trusting each other. Our relationship never hinged on her weight, but I just want to come out stronger. they both thought that if it was something on my mind and was making me a little uneasy that I should bring it up with her.のところはifをthat節で受けているのでしょうか?thatの代わりにコンマの方が自然ではないのでしょうか?あと、come out strongerはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

Lisa, my girlfriend of 15 years, recently discovered that I have been having an affair with another woman for the past year. Lisa has stated that she doesn’t want to leave me at this point, but needs a cooling off period of two months to assess her needs and expectations of me in the future. When she is ready, she will reach out to me and we will go to counseling, but I am not to contact her before the eight weeks are up. I am not to contact herはI will not contact herというのとはどう違うのでしょうか?あと、before the eight weeks are upはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします