• ベストアンサー
  • 困ってます

The cancer was missed

My sister has been diagnosed with terminal cancer—at 44, with children. This came out of the blue. She has not had previous cancer. The cancer was missed, her doctor was supercilious, her boyfriend finally took her in to the emergency room for pain after he became fed up. The cancer was missedとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

共感・応援の気持ちを伝えよう!

• 回答数3
  • 閲覧数128
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • 回答No.2
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15019/32081)

#1です。補足です。  他動詞の意味の受け身ですから、直訳すれば「ガンから逃げられた」秋の他動詞の8ぐらいになります。 http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=miss

共感・感謝の気持ちを伝えよう!

質問者からのお礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• 訳と文章の構成を教えてください。

After my sister found out her boyfriend was seeing another girl, she fell out of love with him.この訳ですが、「彼女のボーイフレンドがもう一人の少女に会っていることを私の姉妹が知った後、彼女は彼が好きでなくなった。」という訳であっているのでしょうか?この場合のwas seeingとは、進行形なのでしょうか?また、主語はどこまでなのでしょうか?どこが述語となるのでしょうか?どうして、Afterとfound outがこの位置にあるのかわかりません。教えていただければと思います。

• 強調・倒置

強調・倒置構文の問題です。解いて良く分からなかったものを挙げます。お願いします。 1Miho and her twin sister took the same entrance exam. Miho passed the exam, and ( ). アher sister so did イdid her sister so ウdid so her sister エso did her sister 2Alaska has been part of the US for less than 70 years, and ( ). アso is Hawaii イso has Hawaii ウHawaii is, too エAlso Hawaii is 3“Can't you get the video to work? I bet you didn't read the instructions.” “You're wrong. I ( ) read them! I just don't understand what the problem is.” アdid イdidn't ウhad エhadn't 4I didn't even know that my grandfather was dying, still less ( ) I know that he had the cancer. アthan イdid ウfrom エas 5The role played by the family differs greatly from country to coumtry. In the first place, the definition of the family is ( ) universal. アalways イas yet ウby no means エstill

• out of touch

I overheard my older daughter telling her sister about her experience during her semester abroad—her sexual experience. She slept with nine different men, one in each country she visited. I left before I could hear more. I never thought that I was a prude, but it was unsettling to hear my baby girl has had more sex partners in a year than I’ve had in my life. I am worried about her behavior and why she would be telling this to her 16-year-old sister. My daughter has a 4.0 GPA, volunteers, and is usually a good person. Am I I overheard my older daughter telling her sister about her experience during her semester abroad—her sexual experience. She slept with nine different men, one in each country she visited. I left before I could hear more. I never thought that I was a prude, but it was unsettling to hear my baby girl has had more sex partners in a year than I’ve had in my life. I am worried about her behavior and why she would be telling this to her 16-year-old sister. My daughter has a 4.0 GPA, volunteers, and is usually a good person. Am I out of touch? ここでのout of touchはどのような意味でしょうか?辞書にそれらしき意味がないのですが・・よろしくお願いします

その他の回答 (2)

• 回答No.3

The cancer was missed 「その癌は見落とされた」 「私の姉(妹)は末期癌と診断された。44歳で子供がいます。”あざ”が癌だったのだ。彼女はそれ以前に癌になったことは無かった。癌は見落とされたのだ。彼女の医者は横柄な態度で、拉致があかず、彼女のボーイフレンドはな彼女が苦痛を訴えるので緊急治療室に連れて行った。」 もとの英文がきちんと順序立てて書いていないのですが、恐らく、あざのようなものができて痛みがあり医者に見てもらってもろくな検査もせず横柄な態度。やむを得ず緊急治療室に連れて行った。その時点ではまだ癌とわかっていなかったのだと思います。その後スキャンして癌だとわかったと言うことでしょう。

共感・感謝の気持ちを伝えよう!

質問者からのお礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

• 回答No.1
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15019/32081)

The cancer was missedとはどのような意味でしょうか?  ガンは避けられた、すなわち、医者の言い方は、ガンを擬人化して、(彼女があまりに健康で、猛進してきたので)ガンの方が恐れをなして避けた、という意味だと思います。

共感・感謝の気持ちを伝えよう!

質問者からのお礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• follow through

During my best friend L’s last two years of life, her brain cancer made her volatile and often unkind. I made a promise to her that I would look out for her socially isolated sister. Whenever I check in on her sister K, she blames me for not being a better friend to L while she was alive. I would have never promised to look out for K if I didn’t intend to follow through. if I didn’t intend to follow throughはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• get the time of day

Q. I’M the gay sister: I’m writing to you because I am too embarrassed to say this to anyone I know. I’m an out lesbian, and I have been for years. It’s been a process getting my family on board, and some still aren’t. My younger sister is amazing and supportive, and has been with her boyfriend for a few years. I’ve got a lot of resentment toward how our family has treated our relationships (her boyfriend is included in everything the family does, he’s allowed to sleep over, etc.) while my partner didn’t get the time of day. the time of dayはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

My sister-in-law of 27 years, like her own sister and, to a lesser extent, my husband, have serious food fussiness. I think it’s a combination of lack of exposure—MIL is not a great cook—and diagnosed OCD, but whatever it is, it’s challenging. My husband has grown by leaps since we first met and now eats everything with gusto. But sis was just here, and even though I went to extraordinary lengths to cater to her, she still went to the grocery and then produced an alternative dessert at the table after I served her favorite ice cream—homemade. My husband was horrified and scolded her, I was stunned, but she just shrugged and said she got what she wanted. Producing alternative dishes at family dinners was not how I was raised, and I think this woman is a boor, but am I jerk for wanting to ban her from my table? grown by leapsは「飛躍的に成長した」でしょうか?あと、ここでのproduceの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• off at a university

My daughter is 19. Her boyfriend is 18. Over the summer, they were busted for smoking marijuana in her car. The officer gave them the option of letting just one of them take the fall. My daughter volunteered; I considered this a very bad decision. If this gets on her record she will lose her financial aid and college will be, if not impossible, very, very hard. Her boyfriend, however, comes from a very well-heeled family. Regardless, she said that she would take the citation and he would pay the fine. Well, the case has now been heard and it was plea bargained down to a lower offense, but it comes with probation and $700 in costs/attorney's fees. Her boyfriend has paid her $200. She says she is fine with that. I am NOT fine with that. He's well-off. She is broke, and is working while going to a local college. He's off at a university, and I think she's worried that if she makes a big deal about this, he'll reconsider the relationship. off at a universityはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

My sister is dying; at the most she may survive until next Christmas. She has a 3-month-old daughter and has been raising her boyfriend’s 6-year-old son. The boyfriend is now in prison for at least the next decade. This little boy has no one but us right now. My parents are elderly, my brothers are unable to take on any of this yet, so it falls to me. it falls to meはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• There was nothing but the

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/10/business/cars-in-recall-still-on-the-road-may-pose-danger.html?hp&_r=0 以下、上記の記事の冒頭の部分です。 There was nothing but the car key on Jacob Hughes’s key ring. It was 1:50 a.m., a clear April night. Mr. Hughes was driving his usual route home from work on the evening shift at a recycling company in Smyrna, Tenn. Rounding a bend at about 40 miles an hour, he hit a bump in the road — and suddenly the car shut down. The dashboard gauges dimmed, he said, the brakes lost pressure, the steering wheel felt like lead. Frantically, he said, he pumped the emergency hand brake but could not regain control. The Chevrolet Cobalt spun 180 degrees before slamming into a guardrail — a barrier that prevented it from tumbling down a 30-foot drop. In the nearly two months since General Motors announced it was recalling Cobalts and other small cars because of a faulty ignition switch, the auto company has maintained that the vehicles are safe to drive as long as motorists remove all objects from their key chains to eliminate jostling that could shut off the power systems and disable air bags. ----以下質問です--- 「There was nothing but the car key on Jacob Hughes’s key ring.」 上記は下記のような和訳でいいでしょうか。 「Jacob Hughesさんのキーリングには自動車のキーしか付いていなかった」 ---- 想定外?のような出来事なので、こんな訳でよいのかと思い、質問させて頂きました。 差し込んでいるキーがガタガタ振動するだけで、エンジンが急停止する事があるとは非道い車です。

• よろしくお願いします

My sister has recently got engaged to a man I’ve never met. I’m happy for her as she sounds happy. She has now asked me to be her matron of honor and with my understanding of the responsibilities, I feel I cannot properly fill the duties. When I was getting married, she showed up hung over to my shower, canceled my bachelorette party the day of as “she had to work,” only to find out she went to be with her boyfriend, and purposely told me a later time for a bridesmaid dress appointment so she had her dress picked out by the time I got there. fill the dutiesは「役目を果たす」でしょうか?あと、showed up hung over to my showerはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 訳をよろしくお願いします

Millie has a daughter and a son, but they live on the opposite side of the country and aren’t able to visit now. Her daughter is 4, and when I saw her over the summer, she briefly referred to me as auntie. Millie pulled her daughter to the side and told her that I was not her auntie and that I was to be referred to by my first name. I was to be referred to by my first nameの訳をよろしくお願いします

• 英語→日本語 翻訳お願いします!

英語→日本語 翻訳お願いします。 図々しいですが、可能な限りで構いませんので 意訳のしすぎではない程度に自然な訳だとありがたいです。 複数の方が回答してくださると助かります。 確認はしましたが、スペルミス等ありましたら申し訳ありません。 It was while recording this track that an extraordinary thing happened; Karen's voice broke down. It was at a point in 1973 when her physical condition was deteriorating. She would not eat and when she did it would be salad without dressing and every calorie was counted. This, combined with her heavy work schedule, finally affected her voice which gave her pain. Doubling her own voice on the chorus of the song involved many more takes than usual. Her doctor advised her to stop singing for a month. Karen rested at home for two days and then was back in the studio. よろしくお願いします。

• sitting out

I have a friend who I think is a snoop, though she's otherwise a very nice person. She has admitted to looking in her sister-in-law's closet when said sister-in-law was not home. I haven't actually seen her looking through my stuff, but I once found her with her hand on the doorknob of my laundry. I feel sure she was looking while I was in the bathroom. Just the other day, there was another example. I went to the bathroom, and when I came out, I heard a noise that sounded like a door closing, and she was standing in front of my pantry. Why do some people behave this way? I find it extremely annoying. If I know she's coming over, I put everything away because she is the type of person who will comment about anything that is sitting out -- be it food, mail, books, magazines, etc. ここでのsitting outはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

専門家に質問してみよう