Understanding the English Sentence Structure: Analyzing the Use of Commas

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Struggling to understand the English sentence structure? Let's take a closer look at a specific example: the use of commas without conjunctions. In the sentence 'Sales of Taylor Electronic have increased substantially over the past year, a result that some analysts attribute to the CEO's strong leadership,' the absence of a conjunction after the comma might seem confusing. However, in this case, the comma is used to indicate a nonrestrictive clause that provides additional information about the main subject of the sentence.
  • The phrase 'a result that some analysts attribute to the CEO's strong leadership' is a nonrestrictive clause, which means it is not essential to the meaning of the sentence. It is used to add extra information or to provide further explanation. Although it may seem odd at first, this usage is grammatically correct and commonly used in English. The function of the comma here is to separate the nonrestrictive clause from the main clause, making the sentence easier to read and understand.
  • Understanding the specific rules and usage of commas in English sentence structure can be challenging, but it is essential for effective communication. In this case, the comma allows for a clearer presentation of the cause-effect relationship between the increase in sales and the CEO's leadership. By using the comma in this way, the sentence emphasizes the connection between the two elements and highlights the significance of the CEO's strong leadership in the sales growth.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文の文構造がいまいち理解できません。

Sales of Taylor Electronic have increased substantially over the past year, a result that some analysts attribute to the CEO's strong leadership. 理解できないところは、 「, a result that some analysts attribute to the CEO's strong leadership.」 の部分。 「,」を使用する場合、基本的には、接続詞を用いると理解しています。 しかし、今回の英文では接続詞がないのにもかかわらず、「,」が使用されています。 また、「,」以降を見てみると a result 以下はthat節の修飾語になっています。 そのため、文全体で見ると、私には 「Sales of Taylor Electronic have increased substantially over the past year, a result.」 と見えてしまいすごく気持ちが悪いのです。 「,」の後ろに名詞だけっておかしいって感覚です。 この英文の考え方や、ポイントがわかる人がいらっしゃいましたら 教えていただけないでしょうか。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

よくあるパターンです。 正式に同格の that とか、同格の of と言われるようなものではないのですが、 教室やここでよく同格という言い方で説明されています。 前に出ていることの言い換えとして、 , 以下に表されています。 https://oshiete.goo.ne.jp/qa/6055992.html こちらの例では、 high blood pressure or excess weight を factors that ~で言い換えています。 that は関係代名詞で factors を説明し、 「~である要因」 それが前の high blood pressure or excess weight を言い換えたもの。 今回も、前の内容が a result、と言い換えています。 そして、that 以下やはり関係代名詞で、どんな result なのかを説明しています。 前の内容というように、単に語句でなく、 Sales of Taylor Electronic have increased substantially over the past year という全体が表す内容で、 Taylor Electronic の販売量がこの一年でめざめしく増加した、 と言っておいて、 つまり、アナリストが CEO のリーダーシップに帰している 成果。 結局、そのことは CEO のリーダーシップのおかげだとアナリストは言っている、というだけのことなのですが、 result という語を使い、前の内容の言い換えとして書かれています。 英語に慣れればいたって普通の書き方で、 上に挙げた質問で which are を補ったような回答があり、 今回もそう説明できなくもありませんが、 前の内容を言い換え、でそのまま理解すればいいです。

sim10pson11
質問者

お礼

回答していただきありがとうございまいた。 また、他の事例の引用もあり理解が深まりました。

その他の回答 (1)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

1。 訳  この一年間に、TEの売り上げは大幅に伸びた、(これは)CEOの強力な指導録の賜物だと、一部の観測者は言っている。 2。この場合のコンマは、前後の等価値を表す「すなわち」のような機能を持って居ます。namely 、 in other words、 that is to say、 which is などと同じです。 http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=namely http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=in+other+words http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=that+is+to+say 3。Mr. Yamada, the English teacher などと同じ使い方です。  

sim10pson11
質問者

お礼

回答いただきありがとうございました。 2のような機能を持つなんて知りませんでした。 また一つ勉強になりました。

関連するQ&A

• こちらの英文を訳して頂いても良いでしょうか?

Anne M. Mulcahy(1952-),the CEO of Xerox Corporation from 2001 to 2009, also demonstrated these leadership qualities. And on becoming CEO, she already be-gan considering the selection of her successor. She landed Ursula M.Burns(1958-) as a prospective CEO, beginning to work with her in a team. This teamwork lasted for 10years,greatly helping Burns strengthen her position in global business. Burns was promoted to ECO in July,2009, a move that has improved morale in the workplace. A new wave of women CEOs has emerged in male-dominated corporate America-ca. Their leadership style centers around working in teams and creating a sense of community in the workplace. よろしくお願いします。

• 直訳でお願いします

She is also enjoying more sales as a result of the increased exposure you have provided for her. この訳を教えてください。なるべくなら直訳が望ましいですが。

• 英文チェックお願いします!!

英語の文章を考えたのですが、どうも文法がおかしいところがあるような気がします。まだ途中なのですが、チェックをお願いします。 My favorite sport is basketball. I have played basketball for seven years. I learned many things of basketball. At first I learned “an effort and don’t give up mind” When I started playing basketball, I was not fast run other player. But I was effort little by little at elementary school. I became early than before now to run. I know that an effort and don’t give up were very important. Next, I learned by leadership. I was a captain by basketball club in junior high school. When I became a captain, there was worried. And I knew difficulty that awareness as a leader of a team gathered up a sprouting team while I practiced it. The basketball club was strong team work. Try hard serious basketball. And I played basketball well. I understood that very important with a leader “I must move at first!” When I knew it, I decide to move positively and build a relationship of mutual trust with a friend and thank that I was able to cooperate. As a result, it was able to be collected in a team. I was able to learn the leadership through club activities. I learned to cooperation as team. And I understood that it can’t only one.

• 英文を日本語に

Residual (or within-group) inequality is examined here by looking at changes in the distribution of log wage residuals from separate regressions by sex each year of log weekly wages on a full set of 8 education dummies, a quartic in experience, interactions of the experience quartic with 3 broad education categories, 3 region dummies, and 2 race dummies. Panel D of Figure 5 and Table 3 summarize the time pattern of changes in the log wage differential between the 90th and 10th percentiles of the residual wage distribution. Residual log weekly wage inequality for full-time, full-year workers increased substantially by 27 log points for men and 25 log points for women from 1963 to 1995 1文でもお願いします

• ビジネス英語(日英)の翻訳

お世話になっておりますm(__)m あるビジネス文書を訳していたら、次の文章が出てきました。 これも訳出してみたんですが、財務系の英語もあまり得意ではないもので(;^^)、正しいのかどうかがいまいち分かりません。 用語などはある程度調べて分かったんですが、前後のつながりなどに自信がないので、アドバイスお願いいたしますm(__)m 原文 取締役会は、当社の財務状況が改善されたことを踏まえて下半期の配当を15%増と大幅な増配にすることを承認しました。これによって年間では26%の増配となります。今年度の売上は24%増、EPSは13%増となっています。 訳文 Our board of directors approved substantially increasing the dividend by 15% in the second half of this year based on the improvement of our financial situation. The annual dividend has been increased by 26% in total. Our net sales and EPS for this fiscal year increased by 24% and 13%, respectively.

• 次の英文の訳をお願いします

The Japanese confectioner Kazuki, for example makes a chocolate-dipped cookies sold in Europe , through a joint venture with Kraf Foods of the U.S , as the Mikado,and elsewhere as Pocky. Mikio Kasama ,head of the golbal business division at Kazuki,said Mikado sales brought in \15 billion ,or $160 million , a year and that Mikado sales in Europe were growing at an anuual rate of about 10 percent.

• 「1日1分レッスン!TOEIC Test」という本の問題で

TOEICの問題集を解いていて、疑問に思ったことが2つあります。 (1)誤文訂正問題 The passport application forms need to be submitted (in) the twentieth of March. 解説→「in」を「on」に直さなければなりません。とあったのですが、 ここは「by」でも大丈夫ですか? (2)空所補充問題 Several economists foresee that ( ) strong yen will make Japanese exports more expensive and hit automakers. A.increasingly B.increase C.increased D.increase 解説→空欄の後ろの「strong」は形容詞なので、形容詞を修飾するのは副詞だから正解は「A.increasingly」しかありません。となっているのですが、 これは( )も「strong」も「yen」を修飾していると考えて「C.increased」を入れることはできませんか? よろしくお願いします。

• 英字新聞より 政治記事 

A no- cinfidence motion against Prime Minister Naoto Kan was submitted to the Diet on Wednesday, a move that could cost him his leadership post after nealy a year in office at a time when the government is struggling to contain a nuclear crisis and rebild from the March 11 earthquake. わからないのは, a move that could cost him his leadership post after nealy a year in office at a time のところです。 thatが関係代名詞だとすると postは動詞になると思いますが、なぜ原型なのでしょうか? cost postも簡単な言葉なのに意味が多くてしっくりくる訳ができません。お分かりの方がいらしたらよろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語、TOEIC、時制の一致の問題

The CEO said to the press that the economy _____ touched bottom by the middle of this year. A. will have B. would have C. will D. is 答えは、Aです。 saidが過去形なので、時制の一致で、Bだと思っていたのですが どうして、Aになるのでしょうか。 教えてください m(_ _)m

• 次の英文を訳してください

Do you know the No.1 killer in accidents during the summer in Australia is? It’s not man-eating sharks, crocodiles, or deadly snakes, but water. As the mercury rises, millions flock to Australia’s dazzling beaches and sparkling swimming pools to cool off. It’s a way of life in the water-obsessed nation that has produced a number of great swimmers. More than 30,000 volunteer lifesavers man the beaches daily and many lifeguards are on duty at public swimming pools, yet an average of 300 people drawn each year. By contrast, sharks are blamed for one death a year, while crocodiles have killed only about a dozen people in the past 20 years.