The History of the Typewriter and its Impact on Language

このQ&Aのポイント
  • In 1886, Christopher Latham Sholes invented a typewriter that became more popular than any other writing machine of its time.
  • As typewriters became common, new words were needed to describe the people who operated them.
  • The word 'typewriter' satisfied everyone and became the commonly used term for the machine.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

長文の訳お願いします

Inventors had been trying for more than a hundred years to make a satisfactory writing machine when finally in 1886 Christopher Latham Sholes produced one that became more popular than any of the others. In his application for a patent on his machine, Sholes called it a typewriter. So far as has been found, that was the first time this word was ever used. As soon as such machines became common, there was need for other words in connection with them. At first it was felt that one who operated such a machine should be called a typer, and this word got into a dictionary brought out in 1909 with the definition: "A person who uses a typewriter." It was soon found that women and girls could operate such machines quite well, and for a time they were called type girls, typewriter girls, and typewriters. Newspaper accounts sometimes mentioned typewriters, including information on how much they made per month and how they frequently married their employers. There were a few people who thought the machine should be called a typine, with the accent on the second syllable. This suggestion did not meet with favor, because typewriter, the word Sholes had used, satisfied everybody. As soon as authors began to type their articles, stories, and book some people thought a new word was needed. Manuscript comes from two Latin words meaning "hand" and "write" and signifies "hand-written." Those who were unhappy about using this word for typed material invented typescript, and this Americanism is widely used.

noname#200920
noname#200920
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

Inventors had been trying for more than a hundred years to make a satisfactory writing machine when finally in 1886 Christopher Latham Sholes produced one that became more popular than any of the others. 1886年の終わりクリストファー・レイサム・ショールズが他の何よりも普及した申し分ないライティングマシンの制作した頃、発明家は100年以上も開発を試みていた。 In his application for a patent on his machine, Sholes called it a typewriter. So far as has been found, that was the first time this word was ever used. As soon as such machines became common, there was need for other words in connection with them. ショールズが彼の機械の特許申請においてタイプライターと名づけた。これまでに初期の言葉が使われていたことは知られていた。その機械が一般的になるとすぐに他の言葉と組み合わせる必要があった。 At first it was felt that one who operated such a machine should be called a typer, and this word got into a dictionary brought out in 1909 with the definition: "A person who uses a typewriter." 最初、その様な機械を扱う人はタイパーと呼ばれるべきだと思われていて、その言葉も1909年の辞書にもタイプライターを使う人と記されていた。 半分だけですが。

その他の回答 (1)

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9726/12098)
回答No.1

以下のとおりお答えします。(面白い内容を楽しませていただきました。) 満足な執筆用の機械を作るために、発明者たちが100年間以上努力していましたが、時ようやく1886年、クリストファー・レーサム・ショーレスが他のどれよりポピュラーになったものを生産したのでした。 彼の機械の特許出願で、ショーレスはそれをタイプライターと呼びました。知られる限り、それがこの単語の使用された最初でした。そのような機械が一般的になるとすぐに、それに関連する他の言葉が必要になりました。 初め、そのような機械を操作する人はtyperと呼ばれるべきだと思われたので、この言葉(typer)が「タイプライターを使用する人」と定義づけられて辞書に取り込まれ、1909年に出版されました。 婦人や少女がそのような機械をとてもうまく操作できることがすぐに分かりましたので、しばらくの間彼女らはタイプ少女、タイプライター少女、タイプライターズと呼ばれました。新聞記事は、時々彼女らが1か月当たりどのくらい(文書を)作ったか、また、彼女らがいかにしばしば(自分の)雇用者と結婚したかについての情報を含め、タイプライターについて言及しました。 その機械は、第2音節にアクセントを置いてtypineと呼ばれるべきであると考えた者が数人いました。ショーレスが使用した言葉のタイプライターが皆を満足させていたので、この提案は引き立てを得ませんでした。 著者らが自作の記事、物語および本などをタイプし始めるとすぐに、何人かの人々は新語が必要であると考えました。原稿(という語)は、「手」と「書く」を意味するラテン語の2単語から来たので、「手書きされた」を意味します。この単語を、タイプされた資料を表わすのに用いることが不満だった人々は、typescript(タイプ原稿)という語を発明し、このアメリカ語法が広く使用されています。 以上、ご回答まで。

関連するQ&A

• 長文の訳お願いします

Fortunately, we know who made this term and the occasion upon which he first used it. Noah Webster, the famous dictionary maker, coined demoralize. Although he spent fifty years of his life studying words and defining them in dictionaries, this is the only one he ever made. In 1794 he wrote about the French Revolution, and in this he emphasized the bad effects of war, especially civil war, on the morals of the people involved. He referred to these effects as demoralizing. Webster knew he had added a word to the language. He watched to see if others would adopt it, and was pleased to see that the term soon became popular. Before he died in 1843 he knew demoralize had become firmly established in the language. His word has had an unusual thing happen to it. As soon as people began to notice the term, some of them supposed Webster had borrowed it form the French word demoraliser, but in a dictionary he brought out in 1828 Webster explained he had made it by placing the common prefix de on moralize or moral. And this explanation he stuck to as long as he lived. Not long after his death, however, his word was explained as being derived from French, and some dictionaries still give this explanation of it. How does your dictionary say demoralize originated?

• 長文の訳お願いします

The colonists at Jamestown soon found that in the forests around them there lived a useful forbearing animal unlike any they had ever seen in England. When they asked the Indian what they called this creature, the natives said something which sounded to the colonists like "arocoun" or "aroughcun." Imitating the natives a best they could, the settlers called the animal in question a raccoon, a name which after a time became shortened to coon. The thing about this animal which impressed the Indians most was that his forepaws look very much like tiny hands. With these little hands he gets a good deal of his food by scratching in moist ground along branches and creeks for earthworms, crawfish, and turtle eggs. He also likes mice and often scratches them out of their shallow burrows. So the Indians gave him a name which means "he scratches with his hands."

• 18-3日本語訳

お願いします。  Ashoka wanted Kalinga not only for its riches,but also because the highways that connected north and south India ran right through the middle of the state.And war elephants or no war elephants,what Ashoka wanted,he usually got.His attack was brutal and effective.By the time the war was over,one out of every four Kalingans was dead or wounded.Many more had been taken prisoner and were separated from what was left of their families.Those who survived faced lives as broken and barren as their wrecked houses and ruined fields.Ashoka reported that“150,000”were deported,100,000 were killed,and many more died(from other causes).”  As Ashoka stared out over the ruins left by his armies,something changed.He'd seen the agony of defeated people before,but this was different.He was different.He remembered the lessons of dharma,artha,kama,and moksha,and realized suddenly that there was nothing honorable,creative,beautiful,or peaceful about this victory.  So Ashoka,who called himself“Beloved of the Deities,”sent out a royal edict,a message,which he had proclaimed in every village and carved into rock pillars for all to see:“After the Kalingas had been conquered,Beloved of the Deities came to feel a strong inclination towards dharma,a love for dharma,and for instruction of dharma.Now Beloved of the Deities feels deep remorse for having comquered the Kalingas.”  Ashoka adopted a new philosophy,one he called“conquest by dharma,”instead of by arms.As he explained in one of his proclamations:  I have had this edict written so that sons and great-grandsons may not consider making new conquests,or that if military conquests are made,that they be done with forbearance and light punishment,or better still that they consider making conquest by dharma only,for that bears fruit in this world and the next.May all their intense devotion be given to this which has result in this world and the next.

• 何が書かれているのか訳を教えてくれませんか?

A stone bridge,whose two arches were like an owlish pair of eyes gazing up the reach,was close to the landing-satge. I thought what a pity it was the flannelled men and the sunburned girls there did not know I was getting a ticket for the Mr Timberlake who had been speaking in the town that very morning. I looked round for him and when I saw him I was startled.

• 英語長文です!!

Something happened once when my friend Jack was Living in Minnesota-- something that he didn`t consider any big deal.I called Jack`s house to speak with him, and the phone was answerd by an unfamiliar voice. The radio was playing loudly in the background, and for a moment I thought I might have dialed an incorrect number. The voice on the other end said a few labored words that I could`t understand, and then stopped. The rock music from the radio continued. I stayed on the line, concerned that something was wrong. Three or four minutes passed, and finally I heard another phone being picked up in the house. I heard Jack`s voice say, ‘Hello?‘ I said hello back, and I said I`d thought that a foreigh-born person or a person who was unable to speak clearly had answerd his phone, I asked him if anything troubling was going on. `I`ll tell you in a minute,` he said, and his voice went away and soon enough I could hear it in the room where the other phone was off the hook-- the room from which I was hearing the rock music. I heard Jack say , I`ve got it,honey.` Then.`It`s all right. Thank you for answering.` He hung up that phone,and when I heard him again he could talk without her listening. `She`s such a sweettheart,` he said, and then explained. He had been out of town on business, and when he returned the girl -- the girl who had answerd the phone with such difficulty -- had moved into his house. His wife Janice was working as a schoolteacher, and at the school where she taught there were children who had severe disabilities.This girl was one of those children. She had been born with a serious problem that had affected her both physically and mentally. It was not the kind of illness that surgery or medicine could fix.

• この英文の訳わかるかたおしえてください(長文です)

この英文の訳わかるかたおしえてください(長文です) But what `s so special about the man who is called the naked chef? I t stared one day in 1997. At that time Jamie was working at the famous river café in London. H e appeared on television as part of a documentary about the restaurant. H is passion , his easygoing style. And his good looks made an impression . soon he was the star of a cooking program whose title is the naked chef . it was an overnight success. He was only 21years old. 本の一部です。訳がわからないのでわかるかたながくなりますが教えてください

• 長文の訳お願いします

President Theodore Roosevelt, or "Teddy," as he was familiarly called, greatly enjoyed hunting. In the autumn of 1902 he took a few days off to go bear hunting in Mississippi. The hunt was a failure, for not a bear did the President kill. On the last day of the hunt, one of his friends brought frightened bear cub into camp as a joke and told the noted hunter he might shoot it. Mr. Roosevelt took one look at the miserable little creature, and said "Take it away. I draw the line. If I shot that little fellow, I couldn't look my own boys in the face again." When the President got back to Washington he told his good friend, Clifford K. Berryman, a cartoonist on the Washington Post, about the joke his friend had played on him. The cartoonist was so amused by the incident that he drew a cartoon of it showing Mr. Roosevelt refusing to shoot the little bear. This cartoon swept the country, and soon everyone was talking about the Teddy bear. Toy makers at once began to turn out little stuffed bears by the tens of thousands, and teddybear, both the term and the thing it denotes, became well established in American life.

• 日本語訳を!

お願いします A favorite story has Egypt's enemies running in a frenzied retreat from hordes of cats. Cats were loved so much that for a time it was a crime to kill one. The penalty for killing a cat―even by accident―was death. (15) The ancient Egyptian word for dog also comes from the sound it makes―iwiw. But dogs were never revered like cats. It was an insult to be called "the pharaoh's dogs," and there are no images of a dog being petted. Still, leather collars marked with their names such as Brave One, Reliable, and Good Herdsman, prove that their nwners valued them. (Except for that dog named "Useless"?)

• 日本語訳を!!c6-2

お願いします!!続き Symbols scratched into pots after they were fired are called graffiti.Graffiti probably developed at the same time as potter's marks,around 4000 BCE,but the earliest examples from Harappa date to around 3300 BCE.They count as the earliest evidence for writing in the Indus Valley.By about 2800-2600 BCE,the symbols that began as graffiti had become a written language,one that was spreading rapidly throughout the region. Why did writing spread so quickly? For one thing,it was useful,especially to merchants who traveled throtghout the Indus Valley.They used square seals with animal designs and bold script across the the top to seal goods for trade.They also developed a system of tablets for keeping accounts.Archaeologists have recently found a building that was a kind of “mint” that made the tablets that merchants used to keep track of their goods. Merchants weren't the only people who were quick to see the power of the written word.Religious leaders may have used writing to record the names of deities and important religious rituals. Archaeologists have been trying to understand the Indus script for more than a hundred years-without any luck.For one thing,they've only found about 2,000 examples of it,and none of the examples has more than 23 symbols (most have only five).But they have been able to figure out a few of its features.They know that the Indus script is not directly related to any known writing system.They know that it was written from right to left (as is the script used to write Urdu,the modern language of Pakistan). But sometimes longer inscriptions are written from the right in the first line,then from left to right on the mext line,and so on,back and forth until the end.This type of writing style is called boustrophedon,a Greek word that means “as the ox turns,”because it moves down one row and up the next,the way oxen plow a field,or people mow the lawn.

• 訳を教えてください

I work in a doctor's office as a receptionist. I was with a customer (a salesman), and another receptionist was with a patient. At some point during this time, another patient apparently came in. I was away from the front desk to take the salesman where he needed to go. The patient who came in texted the doctor, saying she was ignored and his staff is incompetent and rude. Our office manager instructed us that we essentially are to push aside salesmen, drug reps, etc., in order to take care of the patient. we essentially are to push aside salesmen, drug reps, etc.,の訳を教えてください。よろしくお願いします