Understanding the meaning of 'use the extra income'

このQ&Aのポイント
  • I would like to know the translation of 'use the extra income' in English.
  • I received an email from a potential host family while looking for a homestay.
  • I am unsure about the meaning of 'could use the extra income' in the second paragraph.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

「use the extra income」の訳

英文の和訳について伺いたく、投稿します。 ホームステイ先を探していて、候補となるホストファミリーからエージェント(ホームステイ手配者)に下記のメールが入りました。 ホームステイを探している私に会って、マッチするか確認したいと先方が言っているのは分かるのですが、2段目にある「could use the extra income」の意味がよく分かりません。というのも、ホストファミリーになるなら、普通はextra incomeを得るためにホストする筈であり、ホストをするにあたって「副収入を使う」ということは想定できないためです。どういう意味で理解すれば良いでしょうか。ひょっとして、先方はボランティアでホストファミリーになってくれるということなのでしょうか。 I would be interested in meeting him and seeing if we are a good match. I have a spare room and could use the extra income currently. ご教示をお願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • dorian337
  • ベストアンサー率51% (158/305)
回答No.1

I could use a little vacation. (少しバケーションが欲しいところだ、あったらいいな、もらえたらありがたい) の類いの表現です。この場合の "could use" の use は 「使う、消費する」の意味ではありません。 下のリンクの "could use" の項の例文を見てください。 http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=%22could+use%22 I could use the extra income. の the extra income は a spare room を貸すことによって得られる副収入のことですね。

関連するQ&A

• ホームステイ先へのメールの添削をお願いします

来月、ニュージーランドでホームステイをします。 ホームステイ先へのメールの添削をお願いします。 ・自分の英語力が乏しくなかなかうまく表現できませんでした。 ・ホームステイする家庭には娘がいます。dear mr~and mrs~か,dear~familyどちらの表現がよいでしょうか? ・他にも、どこに観光に行きたい、自分の趣味は~など書きたいことはたくさんあるのですが、最初の挨拶の手紙なので長くなりすぎない方がいいでしょうか? 以上の点と文章全体について指摘をよろしくおねがいします。 ******************************************************* Feb.18.2010 Dear Mr and Mrs ~~~ My name is~~,and I currently live in ~~,Japan.I would like to thank you so much having me at your home for a month.I am excited to become a part of family. I want to study English, and feel culture and enjoy sightseeing. Then I want to introduce Japanese culture and my hometown. This is my first abroad. So I am looking forward to everything. I look forward seeing you soon. Sincerely, 自分の名前

• of much use...

NHKラジオ英会話講座より I've accumulated a ton of pennies and nickels. They won't be of much use to me in Japan. ・・・・、日本ではあまり私の役に立ちませんから。 (質問)前置詞[of]の前に[be]動詞があります。[of]の前は名詞が来るものと思っていましたので戸惑っています。[of much use]で「大いに役に立つ」と丸暗記するところでしょうか。[of]の前に動詞が来るパターンは結構多いものでしょうか?お伺いいたします。よろしくお願いいたします。以上

• ホームステイ先への手紙

夏にアメリカに留学する事になりました。 大学と協定を結んでいる機関を通じて留学します。 私のホームステイ先は、私のプロフィールをみて、アメリカの大学で決めてもらうことになっています。そこで、私が事前にアメリカの大学に手紙を提出して、ホームステイ先が決まり次第、手紙がホストファミリーに渡されます。 ホストファミリーがどのような家族かわからないまま手紙を書かなくてはいけないので、「受け入れてくれた事への感謝」「自己紹介」「アメリカでやりたい事」を書く事にしました。 自分の英語が不安なので、添削お願いします。 Dear my hostfamily My name is ○○ and I live in Saitama,Japan. I'm happy that I will be able to stay your home. Thank you very much four greeing to be my hostfamily. I'm so excied to stay with you while I study in America. It is my first time to stay in America. So I am looking forward to living with American people and feel American culture. My hobby is singing and dancing. So I want to see many American show and listen to gospel music. I am looking forward to seeing you. Sincerely ○○←私の名前 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文についての

Earned income is currently taxed at a top rate of 39.6% for income over $418,400 for single filers and $470,700 for married couples. This option would impose an additional surtax of 4% on income above $5 million. The surtax would be imposed on adjusted gross income (AGI) so high earners could not use itemized deductions to reduce the amount of income subject to the tax. >> ここで言われているsingle filersというのは「結婚していない、もしくは一人親」ということでしょうか? 「そして、500万ドル以上稼いでいる人には4%の税金を課す」 最後の文章はどういうことが言われているのでしょうか? 分かる方、こちらの質問にお答えいただければと思います。 よろしくお願いします。

• OC(ドラマ)の中のフレーズ

OCのドラマの中で、ガブリエルが、バーカウンター越しに、ライアンに対して下記のように話かけました。 Gabriel: Seth said you work here and I could use a cocktail Ryan: uh...I can’t serve you Gabriel: right, your not legal (laughs) ah, how about a cranberry juice Ryan: that I can do (smiles) "Seth said you work here and I could use a cocktail"を訳すと、 "セスからここで働いていて、お酒を飲めるって聞いてね"という感じでしょうか。 "I could use a cocktail"は、"i could drink a cocktail"と同じ意味でしょうか。 アメリカでは、お酒をバーで飲むときに"I could use a cocktail"のような言い回しをするのでしょうか。

• 訳を見てください

異性の友達から貰ったメッセージです。訳を見ていただきたいのですが、部分部分に分らないところがあります。彼は、”あなたにはほかにできることがある、自分は家族が日本にいないからいつもひとりだ。じぶんはあなたの邪魔をしたくない。” このような感じでいいのしょうか?他にどのような訳になりますか?教えて下さい。お願いします When I say you have a lot of options, I mean that you have other things you could do and I a pretty sure that there other people you have to see! It is the holiday season and I know, family comes first! And I don't have anyone in Japan, so I am very sad and lonely! So that's why I say you have a lot of options! I don't want any trouble so I won't bother you! I'm sorry....  

• 英語の質問です。和訳お願いします。

Aさん Im really interested in your presentation You should have presentation about Hentai Bさん>Yeah, that would be so easy too. i could just put you on the stage and thats it 特にi could just put you on the stage and thats it この文章の意味がわかりません。

• 翻訳お願いします。納車lend use

「昨夜、ディーラから私の車の納車が遅れていると知らされました。できればもう少し/数日あなたの車(すでに借りている車)を貸していただけませんか?」 ここではlend,rent,use,borrowが使えると思うのですが、有償のnuanceがlend,rentがあると思うのですが知人間では無償の意味で使えるでしょうか? 試訳なのですが、 1Last nigh ,a car dealer called me and told me that the delivery of my new car has been delayed.So I'd be grateful if you could let me use your car for more days. 21Last nigh, car dealer and informed me that the delivery of my new car has been behind the schedule .So could you lend me your car for more days? 上記の日本文を翻訳して頂き、1及び2は文意をなしているか教えて頂ければ幸いです。よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳していただきたい

・I don't think I can meet you at six tomorrow night because we have a lot of extra work this month. extra work は余分な仕事でいいのでしょうか? ・Both the winner and the loser of the latest election deserve praise for showing that they are both exellent and reliable politicians. for showingあたりが・・・ ・He wasn't much use, and none of the other staff is either. 全体的に・・・ ・I'd say that twenty dollar is too much for the necktie. I'd sayがわからないんです。 4文ですがお願いします。

• 訳がわかりません;;

訳がわかりません;; どなたか訳をしていただけないでしょうか>< 翻訳機だと上手く出来なくて困っています; お願いいたします。 how are things up there?^^ I'd love to be your pen pal cause Ive never met anybody from japan! it would be soo greatXD and in fact Im in love with japanese culture for as long as I can remember! lol My name´s Leyre Im 16 years old ( Im from 93 generation:Dor pokemon´s generation?XD) and I live in Zaragoza(wow so u live in Japan ? I´d change you anytime cause my uncle was in kyoto with an schoolarship when he was student and he brough me lots of photos from itt 2001with his host family and the city! it was extra cool) thats on the northeast side of spain and is the 5 largest city in the country you know...all is full shops and historical cities but...you know its all cement!:D and saldy we havent got beach:( lol anyway I live here with my family and my 2 cats Freddy(who could be die or alive and you wouldnt enver notice the difference:just to eat and to sleep) and Elvis My hobbies are:Listening to music(wht r your favorite bands?), hanging out with my friends,writting(letters, Stories,Diaries...) of curse exchanging letters and littel gifts!, reading(Harry Potter! but of curse there are much books as twilight saga! I have just read twilight and new moon but 1 friend is going to borrrow me eclipse it looks good! ), Manga!!drawing, cooking,computers, swimming and playing Hockey! sorry my poor english also ! actually I have been studying it eh..(u can freak) for 10 years and I still dont dominate it! I´ll do my best:D how do you say "I love you" in japanese ? I really cant wait to hear from u soon!!