Both, Allの使い方と違いについて

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 二人とも活躍が期待されている。どちらも非常に高品質のハンバーガーで、厳選された食材で作られます。イマイチハッキリと使い分けが出来ていません。
  • 日本語において、bothやallは、複数の人や物を指す際に使用されます。
  • bothは、主語の前または後に置かれ、その主語と共にbe動詞や助動詞を共有します。一方、allは主語の前に置かれ、その主語と共に動詞を共有します。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

both , all の使い方

They both are expected to do well. 二人とも活躍が期待されている。◆【出典】Catch a Wave, 2002年9月27日号◆【出版社】株式会社浜島書店 They are both high quality hamburgers, and are made of carefully selected ingredients. どちらも非常に高品質のハンバーガーで、厳選された食材で作られます They are both students. / They both are students. all のように be動詞だとそれを挟む位置をとるのと取らないのと どこで使用方法が分かれるのでしょうか? イマイチハッキリと使い分けが出来ていません。宜しくお願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

普通には S be 動詞 both ~, S both 一般動詞 となります。 be 動詞の方がやや弱めに発音される,というリズム上の感覚だと思います。 だから,be 動詞が強調されれば S both BE ~となります。 「実際,そうなんだよ」,最初の例のような受動態であれば「実際,予想されているんだよ」 と強調されれば They both ARE expected という語順になり得ます。 普通は They are both expected ~となります。

rinrin717
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。 質問の内容に合致していました。なるほど、意味を膨らませるか否かでわかれているのですね。 I myself ~なども きっとその類でしたよね、 そっちはわかっていたんですけどね~。 またよろしくお願いいたします。

その他の回答 (2)

回答No.3

http://dic.yahoo.co.jp/dsearch?enc=UTF-8&stype=0&dtype=1&dname=1na&p=both 普通に辞書をしっかりと見ればわかります。 なぜかここの回答者はみな They are all/both ~ 特に all の場合,副詞と思ってしまう。 代名詞の all, both が主語と同格になる場合, 一般動詞なら they all/both, be 動詞なら they are all/both なんですよ。 all で副詞というと「すっかり」という意味で形容詞や分詞にかかる。 代名詞の all とは違います。 be 動詞の場合,リズム的に be が間にはさまるだけで, 同格という点では同じ。 そもそも,こういう同格的な all を,一般動詞の場合でも 「副詞」と感じる人が多い。 確かに,「彼らは,すべて~する」というと何となく動詞にかかる感じがする。 でも,主語 they があってはじめて all が出てくる。 だから動詞にかかるのでなく,主語と同格。

rinrin717
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。 これを機会にall / both / only などを読み返しました。 なるほど、代名詞の同格のallなんですね。 ≫主語 they があってはじめて all が出てくる。 だから動詞にかかるのでなく,主語と同格。 なるほど! しっかりわかりました。

• Him-hymn
  • ベストアンサー率66% (3489/5257)
回答No.2

強いて日本語訳で意味の違いを出そうとすれば They are both students. / They both are students. 彼らは両方とも学生です。/彼ら両方は学生です。 ということになります。 左は副詞、右は代名詞です。 They both ... のbothは同格ですね。they = bothという感じ。 意味は似ています。どちらもよく使います。 使用法の分かれ目というのはtheyを主語に取り残すか、そこにbothを加えて主語を膨らますかの違いですね。大差ありません。 以上、ご参考になればと思います。

rinrin717
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。 ≫hey both ... のbothは同格ですね。they = bothという感じ。 意味は似ています。どちらもよく使います。 使用法の分かれ目というのはtheyを主語に取り残すか、そこにbothを加えて主語を膨らますかの違いですね。大差ありません。 質問の内容に合致していました。なるほど、意味を膨らませるか否かでわかれているのですね。 I myself ~なども きっとその類でしたよね、 そっちはわかっていたんですけどね~。 またよろしくお願いいたします。

関連するQ&A

• 関係詞の問題について

【問題】 A: What do you think of the students' recent progress? B: I can ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) that things are going quite well . で、6つの単語が与えられていて並べ替えるという問題です。 そして、()内に答えを当てはめると、 I can tell by the way they look that things are going quite well. と解答に書いてあります。 the way の後には in whichが省略されているのですが、 なぜin which なのでしょうか? また、このinは look inのinでしょうか? ご回答のほど宜しくお願いします。

• 翻訳お願いします

Yep they both look to be moving along just fine. It can be slow sometimes and it is yet past 30 days. Sometimes they take a little longer as well but not more than 45. If you can shoot me your email I can look up the order and have you check to make sure the addresses are correct.

• 次の英文の和訳をお願いします。

Classes in American universities and colleges vary depending on the level of study (first year, second year, third year, or fourth year) as well as the subject. Usually in the first two years of university and college, students are required to take general education courses. These courses typically cover all the disciplines, so students are required to take one course in science, one course in math, one course in sociology, one course in writing, and so on. These classes are established to teach academic skills but are also intended to help students think more broadly about different topics. There are some science students that might never take a sociology class. Therefore, the general education requirement encourages students to experience a more liberal arts type of education. In the social and behavioral science course in particular, classroom participation is not only expected but your grade can depend upon your ability to speak up and contribute in the classroom. Professors often expect you to say what you think, even if that opinion is not yet informed by reading or research. They also expect you to tell them what you know after you've done the reading or research. In other words, they know the research but they what to make sure you also know the research. therefore, professors expect you to show them during class discussions and questions that you are critically thinking about the material. Generally, university classes in the United states are very casual. Many students call their professors by their first names and often students will chew gum or eat snacks during their classes. Students also dress very casually and often wear sweats and occasionally even pajamas to class.

• 自由英作文の添削お願いします。

2度目の投稿です。前回も大変お世話になりました。今回も添削よろしくお願いします<(_ _)> 問)あなたが母校の校長先生になれるとしたら、何をしたいですか?その理由とともに80語以上の英語で書きなさい If I became a plincipal of my school,I would like to introduce a volunteer activity. In particular,I want to have students call at a home for the aged.There are some reasons for this.First of all,I'd like to get students to learn what they can't study in class.By visiting a day care center,they can learn how to get on with elderly persons,and come by knowledge from old persons. Second, now that Japan is an aging society.Above all,students needs to learn welfare,so this plan will become chances they are interested in well-being. 文法、語彙ミス等の指摘、内容に関するアドバイス等ありましたらよろしくお願いします<(_ _)>

• play off

My husband and I have four young children. Generally, our children are well-behaved; however, sometimes they don't listen to me or my husband. It is incredibly frustrating for us, and we both lose our patience quickly with them. When this happens, we find that they start playing off one another and revolting against us. playing off one anotherはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 教えてください

空所に適語を入れなさい。 1.We were surprised ( ) the news of his winning the Nobel Prize. 2.They were satisfied ( ) the photos sent from the spacecraft. 3.She was disappointed ( ) the result of her biology exam. 4.Wind power generation is well known ( ) people all over the world. 各組の英文がほぼ同じ意味を表すように、空所に適語を入れなさい。 1.a) Mr. Yamada teaches us chemistry. b) Chemistry is ( ) ( ) us by Mr. Yamada. 2.a) The scientists named the spacecraft "Hayabusa." b) The spacecraft ( ) ( ) "Hayabusa" by the scientists. 3.a) They say that the oceans around Japan are rich in marine life. b) It ( ) ( ) that the oceans around Japan are rich in marine life. 4.a) The students took care of the animals in the laboratory. b) The animals were ( ) ( ) ( ) by the students in the laboratory. 5.a) They are building the new power station now. b) The new power station is ( ) ( ) by them now.

• 和訳をお願いします

和訳をお願いします 長くなってすみません(>_<) Susan Morton submitted the third opinion selected for publication. Research has shown that there are health benefits to having pets, and that is an important advantage of pet ownership that is often overlookd when discussing the pros and cons of pets. Studies have found that they can lower people's blood pressure and cholesterol levels and ease feelings of loneliness. There are other health benefits as well. Walking a dog provides exercise for both the dog's owner and the dog. Many elderly people who live alone find that a cat or dog makes an excellent companion, and studies have found that elderly people with pets have lower rates of depression. In this way, pets benefit both our physical and mental health.

• 英語の長文の和訳をお願いします。

長めですが、長文の和訳をお願いします。(A)(B)(C)には何か前置詞が入ります。  極端に意訳ではなく、文法、熟語など大事なところを押さえつつ自然な文に訳してもらえると助かります。回答お待ちしています。スペルミス等あったらすみません。 Univercities in Japan,like the students they seek to educate.appear Western,though in reality they differ markedly from their counterparts in Europe and America.For example,once a student enters a Japanese college,he or she is usually sure to graduate.This arrangement is sometimes referred(  A  )as an“escalator system”;if both feet are firmly placed on the bottom step,a student almost automatically progresses to graduation.Consequently,Japanese university students do not have to study as hard as American and British students.The escalator system suits the Japanese collegians well as it seems to compensate them for the long hours and hard work they were forced to undergo during their elementary and secondary schooling.The young men and women seen(  B  )the college campuses today had to study extraodinarily hard in high school,and in some cases,even for an extra year or two in intensive preparatory schools after graduating from high school,to pass the entrance exam for entry into university.Once they begin collage,passing courses is mostly a formality and lack of motivation for leaning is widespread.Thus,the prevailing attitude in society at large as well as among faculty members and students is that collage is a place for enjoyment,a“leisure land”.Many collage students do in fact devote far more hours and energy to part-time jobs,extra-curricular activities,or personal interests,than to study.  The difference between Japanese and western conceptions of a good student,and the difference in conversation styles between speakers or Japanese and speakers of English,also figure in the cultual contrast between Japan and West.Japanese tend to think quiet,passive,and obedient youths who perform well on tests are good students.Westerners,(  C  )the other hand,admire those who challenge teachers with original opinions.American teachers,for instance,tend to ask their students what they think and why they think so;Japanese teachers rarely do this.The group dynamics among stgudents and the active interaction between teachers and students so often seen in American classrooms seldom exist in Japanese classes.

• この英語の長文を上手く訳せる方お願いします。

予習で自分でやったら、ブツブツ切りながらでしか訳せません。結果その一文の意味がうまくとらえられないんです。長めですが、長文の和訳をお願いします。(A)(B)(C)には何か前置詞が入ります。Aがto、Cがonだと思いますが、Bが分かりません。Bを含む一文の意味が特に分かりません。とにかく困ってます。大学の入試問題です。  極端に意訳ではなく、文法、熟語など大事なところを押さえつつ自然な文に訳してもらえると助かります。回答お待ちしています。スペルミス等あったらすみません。 Univercities in Japan,like the students they seek to educate.appear Western,though in reality they differ markedly from their counterparts in Europe and America.For example,once a student enters a Japanese college,he or she is usually sure to graduate.This arrangement is sometimes referred(  A  )as an“escalator system”;if both feet are firmly placed on the bottom step,a student almost automatically progresses to graduation.Consequently,Japanese university students do not have to study as hard as American and British students.The escalator system suits the Japanese collegians well as it seems to compensate them for the long hours and hard work they were forced to undergo during their elementary and secondary schooling.The young men and women seen(  B  )the college campuses today had to study extraodinarily hard in high school,and in some cases,even for an extra year or two in intensive preparatory schools after graduating from high school,to pass the entrance exam for entry into university.Once they begin collage,passing courses is mostly a formality and lack of motivation for leaning is widespread.Thus,the prevailing attitude in society at large as well as among faculty members and students is that collage is a place for enjoyment,a“leisure land”.Many collage students do in fact devote far more hours and energy to part-time jobs,extra-curricular activities,or personal interests,than to study.  The difference between Japanese and western conceptions of a good student,and the difference in conversation styles between speakers or Japanese and speakers of English,also figure in the cultual contrast between Japan and West.Japanese tend to think quiet,passive,and obedient youths who perform well on tests are good students.Westerners,(  C  )the other hand,admire those who challenge teachers with original opinions.American teachers,for instance,tend to ask their students what they think and why they think so;Japanese teachers rarely do this.The group dynamics among stgudents and the active interaction between teachers and students so often seen in American classrooms seldom exist in Japanese classes. 質問番号:6873619

• ジャパンタイムスのEssay(Self-confidence vs. overconfidence)の和訳です

またまたお願いです、宜しくお願いします。 ジャパンタイムスのEssay(Self-confidence vs. overconfidence)の内容に歯が立ちません、宜しくお願いします。 (http://www.japantimes.co.jp/shukan-st/english_news/essay/2007/ey20070727/ey20070727main.htm) ・・・・「If a child is not doing well at school, or exhibiting anti-social behavior, parents are told it's because their child lacks self-esteem. ・・・「Recent studies, though, suggest that this emphasis on self-confidence denies children the tools they need to achieve success in adulthood both personally and professionally.」・・・・ ★・・・denies children the tools・・・・これはどのように訳するのでしょうか、 denies が「S+V+O+O」の文型をとっているのは分かるのですが・・・ ・・・「But when the U.S. students evaluated their performance, they rated themselves much higher than the Asian students.」・・・・ ★この「But when」はどのように訳せばよいのでしょうか。 ・・・「Countries where "self" is defined in relation to others /and/ seldom expressed through displays of individualism/ or /excessive self-regard are often criticized for fostering conformity and inhibiting creativity.」・・・・ ★「Countries where "self" is defined in relation to others」 の意味が理解できません ・・・「I have heard people in Japan express envy for what they believe is America's superior school system, where individualism and creativity are fostered.」・・・・ ★「・・・envy for what・・・」意味はなんとなく分かるのですが、キッチリ訳すとどどのような意味に。 またenvy forとかは一般的にどのような場合に使われるのでしょうか。