Phillip's Delusions and the Work of the Angels

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Phillip believed that he was above the law and that the coincidences surrounding him, such as his kidnapping of me and getting away with it, were the work of the angels.
  • Despite being arrested and released on parole, Phillip's delusions about being above the law persist. This is evident in the coincidences surrounding his actions, including his abduction of me.
  • In this passage, Phillip's delusions are highlighted as he perceives the events surrounding his kidnapping and subsequent actions as more than mere coincidences and instead attributes them to divine intervention.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

訳をお願いします。

I know it only fed Phillip's delusions that he was somehow above law . Phillip believed that all the coincidences surrounding him from his kidnapping of me and getting away with it to present-day things like his parole officer' inability to hold him for anything were not just mere coincidence , but the work of the angels . 上の文は、Phillipが仮出所役人に逮捕されたが釈放された。私は、Phillipに誘拐され長年一緒に暮らしている。そんな本の中の一説です。 上の文の訳をお願いします。文の途中なので、わかりづらいかもしれませんが、よろしくおねがいします。

• ippey
  • お礼率88% (266/302)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.1

I know it only fed Phillip's delusions that he was somehow above law . そのことは、自分はなぜか法を超越しているというフィリップの妄想を助長しただけだったと、私は知っている。 Phillip believed that all the coincidences surrounding him ... were not just mere coincidence, but the work of the angels. フィリップは、彼を取り巻く偶然は単なる偶然ではなく、天使たちの仕業だと信じていた。 上で...として省略した部分は、the coincidence surrounding him(彼を取り巻く偶然)を修飾している部分です。 from his kidnapping of me and getting away with it 私を誘拐して逃げおおせたことに始まって to present-day things like his parole officer' inability to hold him for anything 保護観察官がどうしても彼をつかまえておけないというような今日の事情に至るまでの

ippey
質問者

お礼

わかりやすく解説もしていただき有難うございます。とてもよくわかりました。大変勉強になりました。本当に有難うございました。また、宜しくお願いします。

関連するQ&A

• 訳をお願いします。

I'm just surging with anger right now. I can't help it. I think what he did is wrong. why could't he just once give in and not be so controlling. It helps to write these feelings down. I can't talk to him. He overpowers me with his words in no time.then there's the fact that I cant' put what I'm trying to say in the right way. What I want to say never comes out the way I envision it in my head. why is that? I wonder If I could have prevented the fight by going out there myself, then again maybe he would have told me the same things. If I told him any of my feelings he would immediately tell me "the angels are controlling you."I need him to give me the freedom to talk to him, but right now that's not going to happen. So I will only let these feelings flow through me and out this pencil. It's weird, but I already feel the tension leaving me and soon I will only be left with the memory of this night to think about and analyze, rethink, and come to a conclusion about what to do. Maybe the tension is leaving me because I'm no longer around him; I'm out here in my own space. I love my tent! It's my own space to do with as I wish. As soon as I see him again, all I want to do is tell him how wrong he was to do that. But he will never take responsibility for what he does. It''always someone else's fault,the angels now mostly. If I confronted him, he would jut think I'm being controlled to say these things by the angels and that would get me nowhere. 上の英文の訳をお願いします。文の中で、下の文ところがよくわかりませんでした。ご助力をお願いします。 ◎I can't help it ◎I wonder If I could have prevented the fight by going out there myself ◎and out this pencil ◎I'm out here in my own space. ◎how wrong he was to do that ◎that would get me nowhere.

• 英語の置き換え問題。

分からなくて困っています。 分かる方教えてください。 次の文がほぼ同じ意味になるよう( )内に適切な一語をいれなさい。 (1)The stream was so narrow that he could jump across it. →The stream was narrow ( ) ( ) him ( ) jump across. (2)It is said that she robbed him of his wallet. →She is said ( ) ( ) ( ) him of his wallet. (3)It is danjerous forchildren to play with lighters. →Lighters are ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) . 意味も付けて頂けると嬉しいです!!

• 日本語訳を!!

お願いします (17) Augustus Caesar, now the emperor of Rome, worked to reorganize the government and military. His greatest accomplishment was the creation of a system of government that lasted in Rome for five centuries: the Roman Empire. (18) Augustus created Rome's first police and fire brigade. He created a network of roads that connected the major cities of the empire, linking them all to Rome. He changed the way finance were handled and issued new gold and silver coins. He gave free food to the poor. He built the Forum of Augustus and decorated it with statues of his ancestors. He beautified the city and boasted of this accomplishment: “I found a city made of brick and left it a city of marble.” Augustus also sponsored artists and poets like Horace and Virgil, whose works glorified Rome─and, of course, himself. (19) Throughout his reign, Augustus never forgot that his great-uncle had been killed by jealous enemies who feared his power and popularity. Augustus pretended that his powers were all voluntarily given. He allowed freedom of speech and encouraged people to give him advice. But he was clever. He knew how to use power without seeming to seek or even treasure it. During his rule, magistrates were still elected to govern Rome. By sharing power with the magistrates, Augustus kept people from worrying that he was governing Rome alone. In fact, the soldiers were loyal to him and him alone─he paid their salaries and his treasury would pay their pensions. (20) The emperor's authority was so great that everyone left all the major decisions to him. But he was also very careful. Augustus kept a force of 4,500 soldiers to defend him. These soldiers, later called the Praetorian Guard, protected all of Italy. But some of them were always on hand to protect the emperor. To be on the safe side, the guards allowed only one senate at a time to approach the emperor, and they searched each man before he came close.

• この英文の訳の仕方を教えて下さい

When he traveled inside his country on holiday,he always took it with him. itは彼が飼っている犬です。 私の訳 休日に国内へ旅行へ行くとき、彼はいつも犬を連れてた。 大意   休暇で国内を旅行する時は、彼はいつも犬を連れて行った。 with him がわかりません。どういう役目なのでしょうか? When he traveled without his dog, Churchill made one of his servants bring it to the station to meet him. itはチャーチルが飼ってる犬です。 私の訳では、会わせるために。となったのですが 大意では、迎えるために。 となっていました meetにはそういう意味もあるのでしょうか? One day, Churchill was coming back from a trip. His servant was traveling with him got out of the train just after him. 私の訳 ある日、旅行から、チャーチルが帰っていた。彼の~~ 大意  ある日、旅行から帰り着いた時の事だった。彼の~~ になっていました。どう訳せば大意の用になるのでしょうか? ただの過去進行形?にしか見えない!

• 日本語訳を!!

お願いします (17) Patriotic writers like Livy took great pride in telling about brave Horatius and how he stopped the foreign attackers. Livy knew that the story was exaggerated and that his first-century readers wouldn't completely believe it. But he wasn't telling it to get the facts straight. He told it because it painted a picture of Roman courage at its best. Horatius represented the “true Roman.” (18) Even though Rome had abolished kingship, the Senate had the power to appoint a dictator in times of great danger. This happened in 458 BCE when the Aequi, an Italic tribe living west of Rome, attacked. The Senate sent for Cincinnatus, a farmer who had served as a consul two years earlier. The Senate's messengers found him working in his field and greeted him. They asked him to put on his toga so they might give him an important message from the Senate. Cincinnatus “asked them, in surprise, if all was well, and bade his wife, Racilia, to bring him his toga.... Wiping off the dust and perspiration, he put it on and came forward.” than the messengers congratulated Cincinnatus and told him that he had been appointed dictator of Rome.

• 以下の文のto meet~の箇所のtoの働きが分かりません。よろしくお願いします。 George quickened his pace, bending his head to meet the furious attack of wind and rain trying its best to drive him back. 付いていた訳:ジョージは是が非でも彼を押しとどめようとする雨風の猛攻撃に立ち向かいつつ、自分の頭を下げ、足をはやめた。

• 訳の添削とわからない個所について 1

John Galsworthyという作家の『THE CHOICE』という物語の英文を訳しました。 添削と、わからない個所を教えてください。 It had declined him for years, but, even before a long illness ousted him in favour of younger men, he had felt very severely the palpable difference in things. それは年来彼を傾けました。しかし長い病気のせいで、彼がより若い男性(後輩)に(仕事を?)追い出される前にすら、彼は物ごとの明白な違いを大変ひどく感じていました。 冒頭のItが何を指しているのかわかりません。 内容からa long illness のような気がするのですが、 It had declined him for years, but, even before a long illness ousted him と Itの後にa long illnessが出てくるので、わからない感じです。 前述の英文は But he was a great sufferer from a variety of ailments. He had gout, and some trouble in his side, and feet that were like barometers in their susceptibility to weather. Of all these matters he would speak to us in a very impersonal and uncomplaining way, diagnosing himself, as it were, for the benefit of his listeners. He was, it seems, alone in the world, not having of course at that time anything to look forward to in the way of a pension, nor, one fancies, very much to look back on except the death of his near relatives and the decline of the plumbing trade. となっています。 よろしくお願い致します。

• 訳がよくわかりません

シーナ・アイエンガーの「The Art of Choosing」からの英文です。 However, in the lapping of the waves and the whistle of the wind, he did not hear a verdict of death. Instead, he heard a question: "Do you want to live?" 【The ability to hear that question and to answer it in the affirmative--to reclaim for himself the choice that the circumstances seemed to have taken away--may be what enabled him to survive.】 【】の中の英文なのですが、 The ability to hear that question and to answer it in the affirmative  肯定してその質問を聞いてそれに答える能力は to reclaim for himself the choice that the circumstances seemed to have taken away  状況が奪い去ってしまったと思われる選択を彼自身に取り戻すために may be what enabled him to survive.    (↑訳がわかりません) と訳せる範囲で訳してみたのですが、    in the affirmativeの訳し方がわからないのと  to reclaim for himself ~このto不定詞は「~のために」でしょうか?  may be what enabled him to survive.ここが全くわかりません。 教えてください、お願いします。

• 和訳お願い致します。

Hugh Miller will be admitted by many as a competent witness to the untenability of the theory of Chalmers and Buckland on mere geological grounds. He had, indeed, a theory of his own to propose, which we shall presently consider; but we may take his word that it was not without the compulsion of what he considered irresistible evidence that he relinquished a view which would have saved him infinite time and labour, could he have adhered to it.

• 英語の訳、並べ替え

It has been said of Einstein that he was most loved by those who least understood his theories but who were drawn to him by some inscrutable attachment. の訳が、「アインシュタインは、彼の学説を少しも理解出来ないが、何か計り知れない魅力によって引きつけられている人々によって、一番愛されていたと言われている。」 という訳になっているのですが、どのように文法構造をとれば、このような訳になるのでしょうか。 一応、 「It is said that ...=...と言われている」 「least=少しも~ない」 「those who=~な人々」 などの文法は理解しています。 並べ替え問題は 日本文に合うように、語句を並べ替えなさい。 ただし、一語補う必要があるので注意すること。 「彼は貧乏の味がどんなものであるか、よくわかっている」 what/he/be/well/it/knows/poor/is/quite/to です。 二問、よろしくおねがいします。