Churchillの旅行中の犬の物語

このQ&Aのポイント
  • チャーチルの国内旅行時には常に犬を連れていた。
  • チャーチルが犬を連れずに旅行する場合、召使いが駅で彼に会うようにしていた。
  • ある日、チャーチルが旅行から帰ってきた時、彼と一緒に旅行していた召使いが彼の後に列車から降りた。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

この英文の訳の仕方を教えて下さい

When he traveled inside his country on holiday,he always took it with him. itは彼が飼っている犬です。 私の訳 休日に国内へ旅行へ行くとき、彼はいつも犬を連れてた。 大意   休暇で国内を旅行する時は、彼はいつも犬を連れて行った。 with him がわかりません。どういう役目なのでしょうか? When he traveled without his dog, Churchill made one of his servants bring it to the station to meet him. itはチャーチルが飼ってる犬です。 私の訳では、会わせるために。となったのですが 大意では、迎えるために。 となっていました meetにはそういう意味もあるのでしょうか? One day, Churchill was coming back from a trip. His servant was traveling with him got out of the train just after him. 私の訳 ある日、旅行から、チャーチルが帰っていた。彼の~~ 大意  ある日、旅行から帰り着いた時の事だった。彼の~~ になっていました。どう訳せば大意の用になるのでしょうか? ただの過去進行形?にしか見えない!

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

傘などのように携行するものには with に持ち主を続けることが多いです。犬の場合は微妙なのですが、「片時も離れることがない」という意味を強めるために with を使っているでしょう。 旅行から帰った時に駅まで犬を連れて来させるということなので、「出迎える」でいいと思います。辞書にもその意味が出ています。「会う」では、すぐに別れて旅行を継続するような意味になってしまいます。「一旦は帰宅して、次の旅行までは犬と過ごす」と読み取るのが自然だと思います。 訳と大意には大差がないと思います。どちらでも誤解なく伝わります。進行形にしてあるのは、電車が駅に到着した時のことであり、まだ家には着いていないからです。「帰る途中のことだった」とすればどうでしょうか?

oobanyaki
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました!よろしければまたお願いします!

関連するQ&A

• 関係代名詞thatについて

長文問題に出ていた文章です。  Churchill was so fond of the dog that he felt a little sorry about it. チャーチルは、とてもその犬が好きだったので、彼はそれを少し残念に思った。  ・・・英文だけ出しても意味不明なので、軽くあらすじを。  元英国首相のチャーチルは、かなりな愛犬家であって、よく旅行に犬を連れていった。連れて行くことの出来ない旅行では、帰ってきたとき、使用人に犬を駅まで連れて来させていた。いつも犬は、チャーチルに飛びついていった。  ある日、犬のえさ係の使用人が、チャーチルの旅行についていった。二人が旅行から帰ってきたとき、犬は、使用人のほうに飛びついていった・・・(長文失礼)  と、いうわけで上の文章に続くわけですが、この文章の関係代名詞"that"がよくわかりません。 上の訳では、「~なので」みたいな意味になっていますが、これはどのような用法から、この訳がきているのでしょうか? 直訳したとき、このthatはどのような訳が当てはまるでしょうか。  よろしくお願いします。

• この英文は通じますか?一部訳し方がわかりません

私があなたの家(アパート)にいたときに、あなたの彼が荷物を取りにきました。彼は私がいるとは思ってもいなかったから、びっくりさせちゃった。もちろん私も驚いたけど、久しぶりに会えたから、よかった。 この次は、普通に会いましょうって伝えてね。 When I was at your place,your boyfriend came over to get his things.He never thought I wae there.so I scared him. Of couse I was surprised,too. But it was good to see him because I haven't seen him for long time. Can you tell him let's meet(普通に、今回のような状況ではなく・・みたいなことを入れたいのですが。思いつきません。教えてください)

• 英文の訳お願いします!

John Chapman was one of the oddest characters ever seen on the American frontier. He was born in 1774 in Leominster, in central Massachusetts, and died in 1845 at Fort Wayne, Indiana. When he was still a boy he became very interested in apple trees. Apples were greatly prized everywhere, and especially on the frontier. Every settler had as large an different ways. Young Chapman thought of planting apple seeds over the frontier wilderness so young trees would be ready for the settlers when they arrived. With great leader bags filled with apple seeds which he secured at cider mills, he was soon a familiar figure in frontier regions that are now Ohio and Indiana. Early in his career he received the nickname Johnny Appleseed. He aroused attention wherever he appeared. He was usually barefoot and tattered. He sometimes slept in some settler's cabin, but always on the floor. Often he spent the night in the woods under a tree, or if the weather was stormy or cold, in a hollow log if he could find one. He tried never to injure any living thing, not even a mosquito or fly or rattlesnake. Once when he was traveling with an Indian friend, a rattlesnake bit him on the hand, and the Indian promptly killed the Snake. But Johnny chided him for treating so cruelly one of God's lovely creatures. The Indians regarded him as such a peculiar fellow that they molested him, even during wars with the settlers. Stories told by and about Johnny Appleseed are widespread. Books and plays have been written about him, and many poems and jingles have had him as their subject.

• この英文を訳して下さい。

He never noticed anyone was watching him, and it was with surprise that he heard himself spoken to.

• 英文の訳!

英文の訳をお願いします! He was worried about it himself. His yacht was made up of such materials as recycled alumminum cans and PET bottles, and solar batteries were used as a power source. Horie found that most of the oceans and the seas were still clean, which made him very happy. But he was shocked at the polluted water around Japan, especially Osaka Bay.

• 英文を訳してください。

以下の文を訳してください。 He never noticed anyone was watching him, and it was with surprise that he heard himself spoken to.

• 英文のアドバイスお願いします。

My treasure is the table tennis racket. My fater bought it for me when I enter the table tennis club. When I got it, I was very happy and it encouraged me to practice hard. Because my fater was always busy with his work, I have never played with him. But after he bought that racket, he made time to practice table tennis for me. placticing with him was one of my pleasures and we have got more closer by it. 上の英文の間違っているところを直して頂けませんか? 自分では、こんな感じの文になるように書いてみたつもりです…。   ↓ 【日本語訳】私の宝物は卓球のラケットです。私のお父さんが私が卓球部に入部した時に買ってくれました。私はそれを買ってもらったとき、とても嬉しかったし、練習を頑張ろうと思いました。私のお父さんはいつも仕事で忙しかったので、私はお父さんと遊んだことがありませんでした。でもお父さんは私にラケットを買って以来、私と卓球の練習をする時間を作ってくれました。お父さんと練習することは私の楽しみの一つでした。私とお父さんは卓球を通して、仲良くなりました。

• 英文の構造、意味、訳の添削をお願い致します。

John Galsworthyという作家の『THE CHOICE』という物語を読んでいるのですが、 訳の添削と質問の個所の回答をお願い致します。 *"The 'house ain't for a man that respects himself," he would remark. And, since that was his conviction, such as respected themselves could not very well beg him to act against it. At the same time, it became increasingly difficult to pass him without wondering how much longer it would be before he finally sought shelter in the element of water, which was so apt to pour down on him day by day. (the element of water=「四大元素の一つ(自然の力)としての水」:本の注釈より) (1) such as respected themselvesが訳出できませんでした。       And, since that was his conviction,    such as respected themselves could not very well beg him to act against it.      の英文の構造はどのようになっているのでしょうか? (2) how much longer it would beのitはhis convictionですか? (3) which was so apt to pour down on him day by dayについて      whichの先行詞はwaterですか? (4)  pour down on himは「彼にどんどん流れ出る」ですか?     意味がわかりにくいです。 <訳> 「救貧院は自尊心を持つ人間のためにあるものではない」と彼は述べていたものでした。そして、それは彼の信念だったのでそれに反して行動することを彼に請い求めることはあまりよくできませんでした。同時に、彼が自然の力としての水に保護をついに探し出す前に、そしてそれは日に日にややもすれば彼にどんどん流れ出るようだったのですが、それがどのくらいより長いことになるか疑問に思うことなく彼を見過ごすことは、ますます難しくなっていきました。 よろしくお願い致します。 前文です。 He was so entirely fixed and certain that he was "going in the river" before he went "in the 'house," that one hesitated to suggest that the time was at hand when he should cease to expose himself all day and every day. He had evidently pondered long and with a certain deep philosophy on this particular subject, and fortified himself by hearsay.

• 英文の訳が分かりません

英文の訳が分かりません The thing that he was about to do was to open a diary. this was not illegal (nothing was illegal, since there were no longer any laws ), but if detected it was reasonably certain that it would be punished by death, or at least by twenty-five years in a forced-labour camp. Winston fitted a nib into the penholder and sucked it to get the grease off. The pen was an archaic instrument, seldom used even for signatures, and he had procured one,furtively and with some difficulty, simply because of a feeling that the beautiful creamy paper deserved to be written on with a real nib instead of being scratched with an ink-pencil. Actually he was not used to writing by hand. Apart from very short notes, it was usual to dictate everything into the speak-write, which was of course impossible for his present purpose. He dipped the pen into the ink and then faltered for just a second. A tremor had gone through his bowels. To mark the paper was the decisive act. In small clumsy letters he wrote April 4th, 1984 この英文を全訳してもらえるとありがたいです

• 訳を教えてください!

As time went on, my memories of my hometown became less vivid.=With the passing of time, it was more and more difficult to remember my hometown. Though he denied the rumor frequently, nobody believed him.=Despite his frequent denial of the rumor, nobody believed him. この2つの訳を教えていただけないでしょうか、よろしくお願いします。