• ベストアンサー

次の英文の構文を教えて下さい。

The boys had been extremely generous about their old friend turned tormentor, openly urging him to rejoin the band. この"turned"は形容詞?で何を修飾してますか? 英訳と文の構成を教えて下さい。よろしくお願いします。

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • googoo1956
  • ベストアンサー率47% (623/1316)
回答No.5

補足です。  英々辞典で「turn(ed)」を調べると「A turned B」で「someone who has done one job and then does something completely different」という説明がなされています。  すなわち、「元々の仕事(=役割や立場)を終えて、全く異なることをしている人」という意味を表すようです。「元AであったB」とか「A出身のB」と訳すと感じが出ます。この場合、「B」が今の状態を示していることがポイントです。  例えば、「a housewife turned author」であれば「元専業主婦だった作家」となり、「an actor turned politician」であれば「俳優出身の政治家」となります。  前者の現在の職業は「作家」であり、後者の現在の職業は「政治家」です。したがって、お尋ねの英文の「their old friend turned tormentor」という部分は、「昔友人だった人が、今は完全に問題児となっている」ということを示しているわけです。  文法的な解釈についても補足すると、「○○ turned ~」は元々「他動詞の過去分詞」だったものが「形容詞」として用いられるようになり、「~に転身した○○」という意味を持つようになったと考えられます。ただし、その人の「現在の立場」に視点をおいて訳すと「元○○であった~」という訳になります。  ご参考になれば・・・。

arigato0
質問者

お礼

調べたら、engineer-turned-writer, actress-turned-princessなどなど いろいろありました。また、「転身する」と言う意味で使われる場合、前置詞はいらないんですね。 詳しい回答ありがとうございました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (4)

• googoo1956
  • ベストアンサー率47% (623/1316)
回答No.4

>英訳と文の構成を教えて下さい。よろしくお願いします。  「their old friend turned tormentor」で「元友人だった問題児」とでも訳すと良いでしょう。  「turned」の部分の解釈は難しいです。あえて文法的な解釈をすれば、「turn」は「SVOC」という文型で用いると「~を・・・に変える」という意味を持っています。  例えば、「Fear tuned his hair gray.」で「恐怖のために髪の色が白くなった。」という意味を表します。受動態にすると「His hair was turned gray (by fear.)」となります。  お尋ねの英文の「their old friend turned tormentor」は「their old friend (who was) turned tormentor」だったと考えられます。「関係代名詞+be動詞」は省略されることが可能です。すなわち「過去分詞が導く形容詞句」が前の名詞を修飾しているという解釈はいかがでしょう。  その場合、直訳をすると「問題児に変わってしまった昔の友人」となりますが、「元友人であった問題児」と訳しても同じことです。  同じような表現としては「politician turned ambassador(=元政治家の大使)」などが考えられます。  英文全体の意味は「少年たちは『元友人だった問題児』に対してとても寛容で、自分たちのバンドへ戻ることを勧めた。」となりそうです。  ご参考になれば・・・。

arigato0
質問者

お礼

関係代名詞+BE動詞は省略可能との事、そこが知りたかったので参考になりました。 ありがとうございます。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
回答No.3

their friend-turned-tormentor と複合語になっています。 friend の方に主体があり,their がついています。 だから tormentor には a も何もついていません。 意味は,「~の性質をもった」でしょうか。 friend-turuned-tormentor で「人を苦しめるような性質の友人」で -turned-tormentor で形容詞的な役割と考えていいです。 ただ,friend と複合語を作る形になり, 語を補うのは難しいです。 あえていうと,frined who is turned ... という感じでしょうか。 turned は「変える,向きを変える」という他動詞から来た過去分詞(形容詞) ですので,受身が前提にあります。

arigato0
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。複合語ですか。someone-turned-somethingと覚えておいた方がいいんでしょうか。turnedが「―の性質を持った」という意味で使われるのは初めて知りました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
  • KappNets
  • ベストアンサー率27% (1557/5688)
回答No.2

turned について: friend turned foe (friend-turned-foe, friend-turned foe) のような言い方をしますが、これは who を入れて friend who turned foe と言えばよいものを who を省略したような形になっています。friend turned tormentor も同じです。 この場合 friend turned (あるいは friend-turned) が形容詞句で名詞 tormentor にかかっているとも解釈出来ます。応用はいろいろあるようで例えば father turned demon など。

arigato0
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。ふと疑問に思いましたが、whoが省略されるのはturnedの場合(特別)だけでしょうか。つまり、通常動詞の過去分詞は関係代名詞無しでの修飾は使われない。のでしょうか。分からなくなってしまいました。^^; 1. The princess loved the prince who changed into a toad. 2. The princess loved the prince changed into a toad. 2.は間違いですよね。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
noname#224896
noname#224896
回答No.1

The boys had been extremely generous about their old friend turned tormentor, openly urging him to rejoin the band. 周りを苦しめるようになってしまった旧友に対して,再びバンドを組むように率直に彼に説得する程(強く主張して,強調して),その少年達は非常に寛大となっていた。 この場合,大きく別けると,The boys had been extremely generous / /openly urging him to rejoin the band. となります. これだけでも単文として成り立ちます. そして, extremely generous about their old friend turned tormentor, 周りを苦しめるようになってしまった旧友に対して,非常に寛大に turned tormentor は,their old friend に後ろから係る形容詞句となっています. つまり,強いて言えば, 過去分詞turnedは,直前のfriendに後ろから修飾しているのです. ==================================================== 以上です.

arigato0
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。後ろからかかわる英語の形容詞句ってあまり見ないので目からうろこです。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 関係代名詞を用いて書き換える問題

私は独学で英語を学習している者です。英語のセンスがないので、くだらない質問をしているかもしれませんが、よろしくお願いします。 ()内を関係代名詞を用いて書き換える問題で疑問に思ったので質問させてもらいます。 問題は以下のとおりです。 (1)(The boys attending this school) should study a little harder. (2)The old man had (no friends to help him). 私はこのように答えました。 (1)The boys who are attending this school should study a little harder. (2)The old man had no friends who helped him. 回答は以下のとおりでした。 (1)The boys who[that] attend this school should study a little harder. (2)The old man had no friends who would help him. (1)は私の回答でも、ネイティブスピーカーには伝わるかどうかをお聞きしたいです。 (2)はなぜ助動詞のをwouldがいきなり出てくるのかがわかりません。 わかる方がいらっしゃれば教えていただきたいです。

• 関係形容詞について

I gave him what money I had 一般にこのwhatは関係形容詞と呼ばれていますが、 I gave him what (all the money that) I hadのことで 形容詞と接続詞で関係形容詞ということですが、 無理やり関係代名詞の定義とあわせている感じで どうもしっくりしません。 関係代名詞の先行詞を修飾する疑問形容詞と考えた方が、自分としては、認識できるのですが I gave him what money that I had この英文がまちがいかもしれませんが 私は、持っていたどんなお金も(全部)彼にあげた みなさんの意見をおきかせください。

• すいません。教えてください

問1 文中の下線部の語について,品詞と働きを説明した文として正しいものを,選択肢から一つ選びなさい。 Mr. Johnson had never been (1)up in an airplane (2)before and he had read a lot about air accidents, so one day when a friend offered to take him (3)for a ride in his own small plane, Mr. Johnson was very worried about accepting. Finally, however, his friend persuaded him that it was very (4)safe, and Mr. Johnson boarded the plane. His friend started the engine and began to taxi (5)onto the runway of the airport. Mr. Johnson had heard that the most dangerous parts of a flight were the take-off and the landing, so he was (6)extremely frightened and closed his eyes. (7)After a minute or two he opened them again, looked out of the window of the plane, and said to his friend, “Look at those people down there. They look (8)as (9)small as ants, don’t they?” “Those are ants,” answered his friend. “We’re still (10)on the ground.” (1) up    (1)形容詞でbeenの補部になっている。 (2)形容詞でbeenを修飾している。 (3)副詞でbeenの補部になっている。 (4)副詞でbeenを修飾している。 問2 (2) before    (1)副詞でbeen upを修飾している。 (2)前置詞でbeen upを修飾している。 (3)形容詞でbeenの補部になっている。 (4)副詞的従属接続詞でhadを修飾している。 問3 (3) for    (1)前置詞でa rideを修飾している。 (2)前置詞でtake himを修飾している。 (3)前置詞でtakeの補部になっている。 (4)前置詞でa rideの補部になっている。 問4 (4) safe    (1)名詞でwasの補部になっている。 (2)形容詞でMr. Johnsonを修飾している。 (3)形容詞でwasの補部になっている。 (4)副詞でwasの補部になっている。 問5 (5) onto    (1)前置詞でstartedを修飾している。 (2)前置詞でbeganを修飾している。 (3)前置詞でtaxiを修飾している。 (4)前置詞でthe runwayを修飾している。 問6 (6) extremely    (1)形容詞でwasの補部になっている。 (2)形容詞でfrightenedを修飾している。 (3)副詞でwasの補部になっている。 (4)副詞でfrightenedを修飾している。 問7 (7) After    (1)副詞でa minute or twoを修飾している。 (2)副詞でhe opened以下の文全体を修飾している。 (3)前置詞でa minute or twoを修飾している。 (4)前置詞でhe opened以下の文全体を修飾している。 問8 (8) as    (1)形容詞でlookの補部になっている。 (2)副詞でsmallを修飾している。 (3)前置詞でsmallを補部に取っている。 (4)前置詞でlookを修飾している。 問9 (9) small    (1)形容詞でlookの補部になっている。 (2)形容詞で最初のasの補部になっている。 (3)形容詞で2つ目のasを修飾している。 (4)形容詞でantsを修飾している。 問10 (10) on    (1)副詞でstillの補部になっている。 (2)副詞でare stillを修飾している。 (3)前置詞でareの補部になっている。 (4)前置詞でare stillを修飾している。 問11 次の( )の -ing形が,現在分詞か動名詞かを答えなさい。 (Reading) books is a good pastime.    (1)現在分詞 (2)動名詞 問12 He ran out of the (burning) house.    (1)現在分詞 (2)動名詞 問13 He secured a (driving) license last year.    (1)現在分詞 (2)動名詞 問14 I saw a dog (running) this way.    (1)現在分詞 (2)動名詞 問15 She left the room, (saying) nothing to me.    (1)現在分詞 (2)動名詞 問16 次の( )の動詞は,現在分詞と過去分詞のどちらで用いられるのが適切か。選択肢から選んで答えなさい。 He could not make his voice (hear).    (1)hearing (2)heard 問17 She watched the fleecy cloud (float) in the sky.    (1)floating (2)floated 問18 The language (speak) in Brazil is Portuguese.    (1)speaking (2)spoken 問19 I’m sorry to have kept you (wait).    (1)waiting (2)waited 問20 The boy remained (stand).    (1)standing (2)stood 問21 空欄を埋めるのに最も適したものを,選択肢から選びなさい。 I am used ( ) early.    (1)get up (2)to getting up (3)to have gotten up (4)to get up 問22 This book is worth ( ) over and over again.    (1)for reading (2)read (3)reading (4)to read 問23 His story was interesting ( ).    (1)in listening (2)listening (3)to listen (4)to listen to 問24 My father used ( ) beer; now he drinks wine.    (1)drinking (2)to be drunk (3)to drink (4)to drinking 問25 He died of ( ) by a bear.    (1)being bitten (2)being biting (3)biting (4)bitten 問26 John was made ( ) the work.    (1)do (2)doing (3)done (4)to do 問27 The captain let the soldiers ( ) home.    (1)go (2)going (3)gone (4)to go 問28 I can’t help ( ) this suggestion.    (1)opposed (2)opposing (3)to oppose (4)to opposing 問29 I make it a point ( ) to bed early.    (1)gone (2)going (3)to go (4)to going 問30 I remember ( ) her somewhere before.    (1)being seeing (2)seeing (3)seen (4)to see

• 次の英文を訳して下さい。

Tyrwhitt turned to assist Keyes, on receipt of the signal that he was being chased, sighted Stettin but lost her in the mist before coming upon Fearless and her destroyer squadron. Arethusa was badly damaged and at 10:17 Fearless came alongside and both cruisers were stopped for twenty minutes while repairs were made to the boilers. Cöln, Strassburg and Ariadne had sailed from Wilhelmshaven to join the German ships, while Mainz was approaching from a different direction. Admiral Maass was still unaware of the nature of the attack and dispersed his ships in search of the enemy. Strassburg was first to find Arethusa and attacked with shells and torpedoes but was driven off by torpedo attacks from the destroyers. As Tyrwhitt turned away to the west, Cöln—with Admiral Maass—approached from the south-east and was also chased away by torpedoes. Tyrwhitt signalled Beatty requesting reinforcements and Goodenough with the four cruisers remaining with him came to assist; the force turned west. Beatty had been following the events by radio 40 mi (35 nmi; 64 km) to the north-west. By 11:35, the British ships had still not completed their mission and withdrawn; with the rising tide, larger German ships would be able to leave harbour and join the engagement. Beatty took his five battlecruisers south-east at maximum speed, an hour away from the engagement. While the advantages of using his more powerful ships to rescue the others was clear, this had to be weighed against the possibility of mischance by torpedo or of meeting German dreadnoughts once the tide was up. At 11:30, Tyrwhitt's squadron came upon the German cruiser Mainz and the ships engaged for 20 minutes, before the arrival of Goodenough caused Mainz to attempt an escape. Goodenough gave chase and in trying to lose him, Mainz came back across the path of Arethusa and her destroyers. Her steering was damaged, causing her to turn back into the path of Goodenough's ships and she was hit by shells and torpedo. At 12:20, her captain ordered his ship to be scuttled and the crew to abandon ship. Keyes had now joined the main body of ships and brought Lurcher alongside Mainz to take off the crew. Three British destroyers had been seriously damaged in the engagement.Strassburg and Cöln attacked together but the battle was interrupted by Beatty and the battlecruisers. A destroyer officer wrote, There straight ahead of us in lovely procession, like elephants walking through a pack of ... dogs came Lion, Queen Mary, Princess Royal, Invincible and New Zealand ...How solid they looked, how utterly earthquaking. We pointed out our latest aggressor to them ... and we went west while they went east ... and just a little later we heard the thunder of their guns. — Chalmers

• 英文を和訳してください。

和訳お願いします。 An old man died and left son a lot of money. But the son was a foolish young man, and he quickly spent all the money, so that soon he had nothing left. Of course, when that happened, all his friends left him. When he was quite poor and alone, he went to see Nasreddin, who was a kind, clever old man and often helped people when they had troubles. `My money has finished and my friends have gone, `said the young man. `What will happen to me now?` `don't worry, young man, `answered Nasreddin. `Everything will soon be all right again. Wait, and you will soon feel much happier.`

• この英文は日本語でなんと訳せばいいでしょうか?

(1)What he must do was to regard the whole situation impersonally and look on Madame Zilensky as a doctor looks on a sick patient. (2)Jamie had been silent, though the other men around the farm were ready enough with glances and words to show their admiration for their master's lovely housekeeper, for all that she offerd them no encouragement. (3)She nursed him, tending him untiringly.(tendingの意味が辞書を引いても分かりません・・・) たくさんすみません(/_;) 英語に堪能な方よろしくお願いいたしますm(__)m

• turned up the charm

He tells me he loves me, I tell him I love him, and this has been going on for a year. Knowing I was doing wrong, and that he'd never leave his big-time breadwinning wife, I broke it off and had a date with a wonderful new man. My married friend turned up the charm, I couldn't resist, and we started all over again! turned up the charmの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 英文の添削お願いできませんか?

いつもお世話になっています。英文エッセイの技術向上を目指しています。相変わらずネイティブには程遠い英文ですが、添削・講評をお願いできないでしょうか?出来るなら具体的な箇所も指摘して頂たいです。お願いします。 子供たちは5月の風の涼しさに顔をほころばせながら、あなたのほうを振り返ったはずです。好きな人を見つけては倒れこむようにして駆け寄り、その人の胸に顔をうずめ、その後に新しい未知の世界を振り仰いで、そしてまた新たに歩き始める。それこそ一歳児の歩み方ではありませんか? It was a fact that smiling with the crisp breeze in May, children looked back at you. In the case of infants, on finding a man who they favor, they rush into him as if falling to the ground, diving into his chest. After that, the steps of children to their growth must begin again thorough an envisagement of themselves in the new world beyond their knowledge. In my opinion, this is the very process of the one-year-old toward becoming adults. Children certainly turned around to you, twinkling with the fresh air of May. As soon as a person loved by them appeared in their sight, youngsters ran up to him fit to drop, held in him chest, and getting interested in the new world they had not seen yet, and then beginning to develop step by step. In fact, this is really the way one-year-old children gradually grow.

• 次の英文を訳して下さい。

Even New Zealand Brigade which has only recently been engaged lost heavily and is to some extent demoralised. If troops are subjected to shellfire again tomorrow morning there is likely to be a fiasco, as I have no fresh troops with which to replace those in firing line. I know my representation is most serious, but if we are to re-embark it must be at once. Hamilton conferred with his naval commanders, who convinced him an evacuation would be almost impossible, and responded; "dig yourselves right in and stick it out ... dig, dig, dig until you are safe". The survivors had to fight on alone until 28 April when four battalions of the Royal Naval Division were attached to the corps. On the Turkish side, by that night the 2nd Battalion 57th Infantry were on Baby 700, the 3rd Battalion, reduced to only ninety men, were at The Nek, and the 1st Battalion on Mortar Ridge. Just south of them was the 77th Infantry, next was the 27th Infantry opposite 400 Plateau. The last regiment, the 72nd Infantry, were on Battleship Hill. As for manpower, the Turks were in a similar situation to the ANZACs. Of the two regiments most heavily involved, the 57th had been destroyed, and the 27th were exhausted with heavy casualties. Large numbers of the 77th had deserted, and the regiment was in no condition to fight. The 72nd was largely intact, but they were a poorly trained force of Arab conscripts. The III Corps, having to deal with both landings, could not assist as they had no reserves available. It was not until 27 April that the 33rd and 64th Infantry Regiments arrived to reinforce the Turkish forces. The ANZACs, however, had been unable to achieve their objectives, and therefore dug in. Gallipoli, like the Western Front, turned into a war of attrition. The German commander, Liman von Saunders, was clear about the reasons for the outcome. He wrote that, "on the Turkish side the situation was saved by the immediate and independent action of the 19th Division." The division commander, Kemal, became noted as "the most imaginative, most successful officer to fight on either side" during the campaign. As a commander he was able to get the most out of his troops, typified by his order to the 57th Infantry Regiment; "Men, I am not ordering you to attack. I am ordering you to die. In the time that it takes us to die, other forces and commanders can come and take our place."

• お手数ですが、次の英文を訳して下さい。

The Battle of Mahiwa fought between German and British Imperial forces was a battle of the East African Campaign of World War I. The battle began when South African and Nigerian troops under Lieutenant General Jacob van Deventer engaged a column of German forces under the command of General Paul Emil von Lettow-Vorbeck at Mahiwa in German East Africa. The Germans were able to inflict substantial casualties upon Van Deventer's army, forcing it to withdraw. The Germans also lost a large percentage of their forces and were ultimately forced to withdraw from their positions and continue their guerrilla war.With Kurt Wahle's force at Nyangao separated from Lettow-Vorbeck's main body, the British hatched a plan to cut off and surround Wahle's column by flanking it with a force of Nigerians. They would then commit a large body of soldiers on a frontal attack and encircle the force. A force of three battalions of Nigerians was sent against Wahle's troops at Nyangao and engaged him there on the 15th. Von Lettow-Vorbeck brought up reinforcements to Wahle and pitted his additional four companies against them. The Nigerians were soon threatened with encirclement and suffered severe casualties. A larger force had been sent by the British to attack the Germans from the opposite side, but this was also met with stubborn resistance when the Germans withdrew from Nyangao on the 16th and dug in on the ridge at Mahiwa 2 miles (3.2 km) from their previous position. Despite the attacks from the newly arrived British force, the Germans were able to hold their ground and counter-attacked on the 17th and 18th forcing the British to withdraw with heavy casualties. The British forces were defeated with heavy losses taking over 2,700 casualties and were forced to withdraw. Although Von Lettow-Vorbeck had inflicted the greatest number of casualties on the Allies in the African Theater since the Battle of Tanga, the battle did not go as well as he had hoped. Although the German army suffered only between 500 and 600 casualties, it was over thirty percent of the force engaged. The German supplies were extremely limited and four days of fighting had expended over 850,000 rounds, nearly his entire supply of smokeless cartridges.[citation needed] Without sufficient ammunition for their modern weapons, the German force was reduced to using old Mauser Model 1871s which used black powder cartridges. Low on supplies and fearing another assault, General von Lettow-Vorbeck decided to withdraw from German East Africa and invade Portuguese East Africa where he hoped to regain strength by capturing supplies from the ill-prepared Portuguese Army there.