• ベストアンサー

何が見事なんだろう?

On a holiday,the family proceeds behind the paterfamilias,a man leaning back a proud 10 cm,hands in his pockets. 一体、ポケットに手を突っ込んで、立派な何にもたれ掛かっているんでしょうか?

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#145074
noname#145074
回答No.2

分かっていて質問されてるのでしょう? 「とある休日、家族は、家長を先頭に歩いている。一人の男はポケットに手をいれて、誇らしげな"あれ"をおっ立てている。」 ** "a proud 10 cm"=10 cmですか。大したことはないですね。

ky4346
質問者

お礼

(・_・;)えっ、知らずに質問してました。 TIMEってそんな文章載せるんですか! 私のほうがからかわれているんじゃないかと半信半疑な気持ちです。 不愉快にさせてしまっていたら謝ります。 申し訳ありませんでした。(;_;)

その他の回答 (1)

• ucok
  • ベストアンサー率37% (4288/11421)
回答No.1

「もたれ掛かって」はいません。「背後に傾いている」だけです。でないとfamilyがproceed behindできないので。「paterfamilias」の意味はおわかりですか? 質問者さんのお父さんは、もっとリベラルだったのかな。

ky4346
質問者

お礼

変な質問しちゃってすいませんでした。 m(_ _)m

ky4346
質問者

補足

ずっとlean againstで辞書調べちゃってました。(^_^;) 家長が偉そうにふんぞりかえってるんですね。! この表現は慣用的な表現なんでしょうか? 例えば10でなくて30が使われることはあるんでしょうか?

関連するQ&A

• on the one's back の意味

on the boy's back の部分がうまく訳せません。 熟語、慣用句的な表現だと思うのですが、 意味を教えて下さい。お願いします。 ・・・・ ある大学教授は、10代の息子と仲が悪かった。 This man's entire life was essentially academic, and he felt his son was totally wasting his life by working with his hands instead of working to develop his mind. As a result, he was almost constantly on the boy's back,... 結果として彼はほとんど絶えず 『その少年の{背中・後ろ}にいた』

• closed adoption

Twenty-two years ago I gave up a baby in a closed adoption. I married right out of high school to an older man from a powerful, wealthy family in my hometown. He was handsome, charming, and violent. He beat me and raped me. His family knew but blamed me instead. I ended up fleeing in the middle of the night with only the clothes on my back. closed adoptionとは何でしょうか?あと、with only the clothes on my backの意味も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 英文の和訳をお願いいたします

以下の英文を和訳していただけるかたのみで。 お願いできますでしょうか? 内容的にまだ続いてる感じだと思います。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 Yet he had a fairly happy family life and childhood. Background and family history are important to him. He may have had a strong attachment or respect for his father, who was affluent and a sense of family pride. He may have missed out on parental love in his childhood. He would have grown reserved and cautious. May have had some health weakness or weakens of constitution. His interest would have centered on the family. He wanted to shine out. Make his family proud of him, and he would have helped other family members out and taken an interest in their lives and affairs.

• 翻訳お願いします

A:Small town. Police department down to three.  Well, two and one with his hand tied behind his back. B:Suit's on Light Ad actually,it's one and two people with one hand tied behind their back. A:You're up to your shorts in an attempted murder or murder of a police officer. B:Two police officers. Suit:人名(あだ名) Light AD:意味不明

• ヤフーで変に訳される英語;;

簡単な英文なんですが・・・急いで訳さなければいけないので、ヤフーの通訳をさっき使いました・・・;;けど変んな日本語に訳されてしまいます; よかったら、訳してほしいです・・・;;; You are very kind to lend me this book. It very kind of you to lend me this book. The train ran over a man and his horse that were just crossing the trank. Each of the boys gets a prize. We should keep in mind that man is a part of nature. I might have visited the museum If I had gone to Chicago last week. The teacher enjoys working with his students. She told me that her uncle was coming the next day. You are taller than I by two inches. He came along with his hands in his pockets. 本気でおねがいします・・・・;;

• 和訳したのですが…

Man’s conquest of the earth moved slowly, for there much to learn. Man is a weak and poorly endowed creature as far as his physical body is concerned and his survival depended on the use of his brain and his hands . 学ぶべきことがたくさんあったので、人類の地球の征服はゆっくりと進んだ。人類は弱く、肉体的な体において、また脳と体の利用に頼った生存の限りでは、恵まれていない動物です。 上のように訳して見たのですが、2文目の文構造がよく分らなくて自然な訳になりません。 説明お願いします!

• 英文の和訳

以下の英文を和訳していただけるかたのみで お願いできますでしょうか? 抽象的な部分は意訳していただけるとありがたいです。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 He tends to get cramps in the hands and is prone to rough dry cracking skin. Any scars get old and harden into the flesh. The skin behind the ears is sometimes rough or sore red and flaky The impression is that hands are not well kept but they are good capable hands. Picks idly at his shirt, or other things nothing to occupy his hands Smoothes his clothes. In cold damp cloudy weather his mind will seem not to work, and he is slow and sluggish and forgetful then. Doesn't answer questions right off then but pauses, looks and thinks and finally grasps the answer from somewhere in his head, becomes slowed and lethargic, though not weak or, lumpish, still a strong robust refined man, even in his lethargy. A rock of a man.

• 名詞を修飾する副詞

Would you like a ride back to his house on my bike? 副詞[back]が、名詞[a ride]を修飾しているのではないかと思います。 [a ride]と、[back]の間には何かが省略されているのでしょうか。 Would you like to ride back to his house on my bike? とは、どのように意味が変わってくるのでしょうか。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• chivalry

I’m a firm believer that chivalry is not dead, it’s just expanding to accommodate all people, regardless of gender. I believe that no matter the gender of the holder or the pedestrian, polite people hold the door open for anyone immediately behind them. As a woman who occasionally holds the door open for men, I’ve seen huge smiles, enthusiastic thank-yous, awkward faces, no response at all, and once, a man halfway through the door turning on his heel to go around behind me and hold the door open for me. ここでのchivalryとは具体的にはどのようなことでしょうか?あと、turning on his heel to go around behind meの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• マクベスの英文について

It's about a man who is destroyed by his overwhelming desire to become king; about his wife who is driven mad to the point that she sleepwalks trying to get imaginary bloodstains off her hands. この英文の2行目から、どう訳していいのか分かりません。 解説して教えて下さい。よろしくお願いします。