Understanding the content of a passage in English

このQ&Aのポイント
  • I need help understanding the content of a passage in English.
  • There is a part that I'm not sure about, particularly the phrase 'the train had two engines, several supply cars.'
  • Could someone please explain it to me? Thank you.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文で分からないところがあります。

英文で分からないところがあります。 Again ,and a line of wooden passenger cars filled with Turkish soldiers. 再び、二つの物資供給車を持った列車(物資供給車のある列車)と一列の木造の客車はトルコ軍人で一杯だった という訳を付けたのですが、あっているのでしょうか? とくに the train had two engines,several supply car の部分が自信がありません。 two engine=二つの汽車で、後ろのseveral supply carがそれを説明している、ということなのでしょうか? 教えてください、お願いします。

• mokuya
  • お礼率83% (136/162)
  • 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.2

>>とくに the train had two engines,several supply carの部分が自信がありません。  これはいわゆる「重連」のことで、機関車が2台ということです。  「ふたたび(そのあとに)軍需品を載せた車両(=貨車)が數両、さらにトルコ兵を満載した木造客車の列が(続いた)」  これだけ列車が長ければ(貨客混合列車ですから)、1台の機関車では牽引力がたりないので「重連」にしたのだと思います。

mokuya
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 すいません、文自体が誤っていました。 再び、二つの機関車といくつかの供給車、そして列一列の木造の客車のある列車はトルコ軍人で一杯だった。 といった訳でよろしいでしょうか?

mokuya
質問者

補足

すいません、文が誤っていました。 Again the train had two engines,several supply car,and a line of wooden passenger cars filled with Turkish soldiers. でした。

その他の回答 (3)

• SPS700
回答No.4

#2です。 >>Again the train had two engines,several supply car,and a line of wooden passenger cars filled with Turkish soldiers. 再び、二つの機関車といくつかの供給車、そして列一列の木造の客車のある列車はトルコ軍人で一杯だった。 といった訳でよろしいでしょうか?  いいと思います。  レールの上だと「列1列」は当然なので、「この列車も、重連の機関車に貨車數両、そして後に続く木造客車はトルコ兵で一杯だった」とも。  三台の機関車のときは「三重連]と言いますから(それ以上は四重連、五重連など)、「重連」で機関車二台と言うことが分かります。

mokuya
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 助かりました!

• SPS700
回答No.3

#2です。  このような感じです。機関車が2両、その後ろに貨車、その後ろに客車(ただし a line of というと、これより車両数が多いと思われ、この写真の客車は鋼鉄車です)が続いています。

mokuya
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 画像まで用意していただき、大変うれしいです。

noname#183197
noname#183197
回答No.1

前文の訳が示せれていませんが、だいたいそういうことでしょう。汽車が2台連なっているのか、前と後ろにあるのか不明。 現代でも、engine は欧米では先頭(最後尾)車両だけにモーターがあるので、それらの車両を engine と言ったりします。今はTGVも日本式でモーターが分散して先頭車両も客車になっているのでなんともいえませんが。

mokuya
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。 文自体が誤っていました、すいません。

mokuya
質問者

補足

すいません、文が誤っていました。 Again the train had two engines,several supply car,and a line of wooden passenger cars filled with Turkish soldiers. でした

関連するQ&A

• 英文を訳して下さい。

With his headquarters at Katma, Mustapha Kemal deployed four divisions south of the city. The newly reorganised 1st and 11th Divisions of the newly created Ottoman XX Corps, (brought up to strength of between 2,000 and 3,000 soldiers "by drafts and a reinforcement of one complete regiment from Turkey"), and the 24th and the 43rd Divisions held strong entrenched positions. Mustapha Kemal ordered the weaker 41st Division to defend Alexandretta north west of Aleppo while the 44th Division was in reserve north of the Gulf of İskenderun with the 23rd Division at Tarsus. The 47th Division may also have been in this area. All the surviving German troops had been withdrawn and were concentrated near Tarsus. The Fourth Army's headquarters, the 48th, 3rd Cavalry and Composite Divisions, the Seventh Army's 26th and 53rd Divisions along with the Eighth Army's 7th, 16th, 19th, 20th and 46th Divisions had all been destroyed or dissolved. Armoured car reconnaissance 23 October The pace of the cavalry and armoured car pursuit, was dictated by supplies of petrol and ration and the stamina of the horses, with aircraft reconnaissances scouting ahead to locate enemy forces. From Hama a column of armoured cars carried out a reconnaissance towards Aleppo, leaving behind the 15th Imperial Service Cavalry Brigade. They attacked some enemy cavalry at Khan Tuman, about 10 miles (16 km) south of Aleppo before encountering between 2,000 and 3,000 entrenched Ottoman infantry of the 1st and 11th Divisions, holding a defensive position across the road through Ansarie and Sheikh Said 3 miles (4.8 km) south of the city. Aerial and ground reconnaissances established the size of the rearguard and identified a further 6,000 or 7,000 soldiers holding Aleppo. Captain Macintyre, commander of the 7th Light Car Patrol with the flag of truce used on 23 October Major General H. J. Macandrew commanding 5th Cavalry Division, sent Captain R. H. M. McIntyre commanding 7th Light Car Patrol under a flag of truce with a demand for the surrender Aleppo, which was rejected by Mustapha Kemal. Subsequently, the armoured cars attempted a reconnaissance in a northwesterly direction looking for a way through the rocky hills to the southwest of Aleppo, towards the Alexandretta road. The country was found to be too rough for cars and they withdrew back to Khan Tuman to bivouac. While the armoured cars waited for reinforcement by the 15th Imperial Service Cavalry Brigade on 24 and 25 October, they continued to reconnoiter the Ottoman defences south of Aleppo.

• 長文訳至急お願いします;;

この文を自然に訳して頂ける方。よろしくお願いします;; People say that the 19th century was the era of steam energy, and the 20th century was the era of gasoline engines. Now they say that the 21st century will be the century of electronic energy. We can expect that by 2025,all passenger cars will be electric or hybrid. Interestingly, many small companies in Europe and Asia are putting environmentally friendly affordable electric cars on the market. The Reva Electric Car Company is England, Italy, Cyprus, Spain and Ireland. They are going to be marketed in Australia, Switzerland and Germany soon. Norway also has electric car manufactures. One is the Think Company. It made and sold over 1.000 electric cars there in the late 1990s. Now it is going to expand its market to include America, which already has other companies like Myers Motors, which makes the three-wheeled NmG-1 car, and ZAP. Chinese companies, too, will soon be entering the international electric automobile manufacturing market. However, we should note that the future of the electric car will depend on the development of lighter and longer-lasting batteries and the increase of plug-in stations so that we can travel a long distance in these new cars.

• 英文を日本語訳して下さい。

The Fao Landing occurred from November 6, 1914 to November 8, 1914 with British forces attacking the Ottoman stronghold of Fao and its fortress. The landing was met with little resistance from the Turkish defenders who fled after intense shelling. It was the first military operation of the Mesopotamian Campaign of World War I which was carried out to protect the British Empire's oil supplies in the Persian Gulf. When the Ottoman Empire entered into World War I, the British feared for the safety of the Persian Gulf oil facilities. To protect their facilities, the British decided to capture the Ottoman-controlled section of the Persian Gulf coast. The Fortress of Fao was the main Ottoman fortress on the Persian Gulf coast and to Anglo commanders seemed like the logical jumping off point for any Ottoman attack on British oil facilities. The British assigned Indian Expeditionary Force D (IEF D) which consisted of the 6th (Poona) Division led by Lieutenant General Arthur Barrett, with Sir Percy Cox as Political Officer. The initial landing force was a contingent of Royal Marines from the HMS Ocean and British Indian troops of the 16th (Poona) Brigade under Brigadier General W.S. Delamain. The British sloop HMS Odin shelled the Turkish positions near the old fortress of Fao, silencing the enemy batteries and clearing the way for the landing force. A six-hundred strong force came ashore in the shallow, muddy waters with two mountain guns in tow and faced little resistance. The combined British and Indian force captured the poorly prepared Ottoman positions swiftly, seizing a large amount of largely undamaged material including several artillery guns, many of them still in position and loaded. Evidently, the weak Ottoman garrison was abandoned by its soldiers when the fort commander known as the "Bimbashi of Fao Fort" was killed by a shell. The landing and capture of Fao was a strategic blunder for the Ottomans from which they would never truly recover as evidenced by the subsequent string of defeats suffered by the Empire at the hands of the British in the following year. The Ottomans also no longer controlled a key access point to the Persian Gulf, and the British facilities were largely safe. However, the British felt that their facilities would not be truly safe until they managed to capture Baghdad. This led to several campaigns against Baghdad that would result in the capture of that city by the British in 1917. The Fao landing and the subsequent battle for the fortress were prominently featured in video game Battlefield I. The Fao Landing occurredアル=ファオ上陸戦

• 英文にできなくてすごく困っています。少しでもいいので英文を教えてください。お願いします。

まず、リレー。リレーはいつも私を興奮させてくれます。リレーはだいたい4人1組です。クラスで足の速い子が走ります。トラックを1人1周ずつ走ります。1人の人が1周走ったら、次の人にバトンを渡します。バトンを渡す時は、止まって渡しません。なぜなら、タイムが遅くなって、他のチームに抜かされてしまうからです。例えば、1番目の人から2番目の人にバトンを渡す時、2番目の人は1番目の人が自分のスタートライン3mぐらいのところにきたら、走り出します。そして、1番目の人が「はい」と言ったら、前を向いて走ったまま、手のひらを上に向けて、腕を後ろに伸ばします。そして、手のひらにバトンを渡します。このようにして、時間をかけずにバトンを渡すことができます。そした、リレーの選手じゃない人々は、自分のチームを大声で応援します。走っているこの名前を叫びます。すると、たまに余裕のある子は、みんなの方を見てにっこり笑います。いつもリレーを見るたびに、「私も足が速かったらなぁ」と思います。次に、徒競走。徒競走はリレーと違って自分自身が主役です。リレーは幼稚園の頃はなかったのですが、徒競走は幼稚園の時からありました。学年が上がると走る量も増えます。背の大きさ順にだいたい6人ずつで走ります。走り終えたら順位順に1列に並びます。たまにゴール直前で転んでしまって、ドベになってしまう子もいます。徒競走は運です。なぜなら一緒に走る6人みんな足が速い子のグループもあれば、6人みんな足が遅いグループもあるからです。

• この不自然な英文をまともな英文に直してください。

(日本語)このシミュレーションと普通の細胞分裂を模擬実験した(模倣した)シミュレーションを比較する事で、必要不可欠な物理パラメーターを突き止めようとしている。 (英語)Essential physical parameters will be found out by comparing this simulation to a simulation which mimics a normal cell division. 違和感を感じる英文です。 恐らくシミュレーションを一文に二回使っているのが主な原因だと思いますが、他にもあるかもしれません。 どなたか添削をお願いします。

• 簡単な英文と頭を抱える英文

英検(少なくとも2級まで)やセンター試験の長文は、とても読みやすく、 大半において、素直に意味を取れる英文だと思います。 一方、一般洋書になると、第2外国語だと思うほど難しいです。 しかし、どちらも英語です。 上記の試験の英語でも、語彙レベルから言えば決して低くは無いと思います(日常会話語彙で言えば)。 メル友募集サイトなどのネイティブの英文も、言い回しや一部の語彙を除いては、 まぁまぁ素直にスラスラ分かります。 しかし、適当に手にした一般洋書は3行読んだらもうやめ~ってなります。 これを克服するためには、一般洋書を「精読」するしかないのでしょうか? 分からないすべての英文を1つ1つ聞いたりして減らしていくしかないのでしょうか? とある多読法によると、今のレベルにあった簡単な英文を大量に読むと、 数年後には一般洋書も(自然と)分かるようになる、とありますが。

• 上手な英文、ヘタな英文

こんにちは。 日本語の文章でも、書き手によって上手下手があります。これと同じように、英語の文章にも上手下手があるはずです。そこで、 (1)上手な英文・下手な英文が、同じ場所に並べて掲載してある(比較ができる) (2)上手な英文・下手な英文は、それぞれ同じ内容のことを表現している (3)上手下手に対する解説がある (4)できれば、(3)は日本語で書かれているか、日本語訳がついている 以上の条件を満たす本やホームページを探しています。(4は必須ではありません。)英文と書きましたが、英語の会話文でもかまいません。 なにか良いものがありましたら、教えてください。よろしくお願いします。

• 英文にして欲しいのと、英文のチェックをお願いします

この文章を英語にしてください。 日本語の文章と英語の文章は相違ありますが、自分なりに書いてみました。 こちらのチェックもお願いします。 「[仕事が忙しいと言われて] かわいそうに。でも羨ましいかも。 私は(やっと)仕事を探し始めました。でも、旅行に行きたくて心ここにあらずって感じです。 だから仕事探しに集中できない。」 Oh, poor you... but sounds good for me! I started to look for a job now but I can't concentrate to search jobs... My mind is floating around somewhere else like a balloon with a broken string. I feel I wanna go somewhere to travel. できれば「心ここにあらず」の部分をoff with the fairies かaway with the fairies to 使って表現したいんですが、使い方がよくわかりません。 それか、「心ここにあらず」を「(夢みる乙女ぽい感じで)夢を見ていて現実が見えていない」感じの 表現だとどう表現すればいいのでしょうか? たくさん質問してしまいましたが、よろしくお願い致します。

• 英文訳& 英文にしてください

I have pierced in top of the migi mimi and shita (tounge) Jewelry, I like bracelets and necklace at least 1 of those I'm wearing これに対して 私はあなたとお揃いのリングかネックレスをしてみたい(したい) あなたが 他の人とお揃いを持つのに 抵抗がなければ。 で、お願いしますm(._.)m

• すみません英文にお願いします。

すみません英文にお願いします。 ===================================== 情報ありがとございます。 貴方のE-メールアドレスに ニュージーランド専門のエージェントから 連絡が入りますのでしばらくお待ちください。 取引条件が変わります、CIFからFOBになります。 ====================================== 宜しくお願い申し上げます。