失望と心配:行方不明の父親を探す息子たちの心情

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 父親の行方を追いかけた息子たちが手がかりなしに家に帰ってきた
  • 心配していた母親が帰ってきた息子たちを迎える
  • 番組の回想シーンで、家族の不安と失望が描かれている
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

和訳お願いします!

和訳お願いします! The boys got to where they didn't really want to drive up in the driveway to look at the expression on my face. they'd put their head down and I knew then they hadn't seen or heard anything. That night, Paula prayed for the safety of her husbund as she had never prayed before. 状況を説明すると。。。 ある番組の回想シーンです。 行方不明になった父親を探しに出かけた息子2人が手がかりなしに家に帰ってきます。 そして心配していた妻(行方不明の父親の)が帰ってきた息子たちのもとにかけよったときのコメント(回想)です。 想像しずらいかもしれませんが、よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.3

お礼をありがとうございました。 既に Agee さんのすぐれた訳文と説明があるので、もはや蛇足かもしれませんが、to look について書かせていただくと、they didn't really want ... to look at ... という読み方をすると、たしかに「顔をみたくなかった」と解することもできそうです。 私は The boys got to [...] to look at ... という構造と見ました。つまり、... driveway までを発声して、微妙に間をおいて to look at ... と続ける感じです。そうすると to look at ... が「~するために」という意味を持っているように思えた、というわけです。

その他の回答 (2)

• Agee
  • ベストアンサー率42% (414/964)
回答No.2

drivewayは通り(街路)から家へと続く小道です。その先に車庫がある家もあれば、車庫などなく単にdrivewayに車を駐車する家もあります。 御質問の文は、普通なら玄関で待っている「私」の近くまでは車を進めて来ないのに、この日は進めて来たという場面でしょう。 「息子たちは、本来はそうするつもりでなかったのに、私の顔色が窺えるようなdrivewayまで車を進めて来た。彼らが頭を垂れているので、私は即座に彼らが何も手掛かりを掴めなかったことを悟った。 その夜、かつて祈ったことなどなかったのだが、Paulaは夫の無事を祈ったのだった」

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

息子たちはいつもなら入り込まないところまで車を入れて、私の顔の表情をうかがった。 息子たちは首をうなだれていた。それで私は彼らが何の手がかりも得られないまま戻ったのだと分った。 その夜、ポーラは夫の安全を祈った。これまでそんなことはしたこともなかったのに。 ちょっとあやしい訳ですが・・・

chinotto
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます! to look at the expression on my faceは「手がかりがなかったから母親の顔をみたくなかった」と勘違いしていました。。。 ここのtoにはどういう意味があるのでしょうか?

関連するQ&A

• 和訳をお願いします。

But she wouldn’t kill Katrina if she knew she was pregnant I don’t think, and they will have to announce that she is soon! よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳

それぞれ異なる話題についての英文です。どちらも文としてはあまり難しくは無いと思うのですが、話題の内容が上手く掴めませんでした。どちらかと言うと後半の英文です。お願いします。 People in mind climates in the northern hemisphere sometimes experience periods of very hot and humid weather. These periods, which occur in July, August, and early September, are called “dog days” in English. This expression comes from Latin, the language used by the ancient Romans. They believed that Sirius, the Dog Star, which rises with the sun during this time, added its heat to the sun's and caused the hot weather. All modern scientists believe that there is an older to the universe. But the ancient Sumerians, who lived in what is today Iraq, didn't believe in an ordered universe. They believed the universe was ruled by dogs, who did whatever they wanted to do without any reason. The Sumerians probably believed this because unpredictable natural changes occurred in their land, such as floods, that they couldn't control.

• 和訳を願いたいです

In our sixth year on the Kalahari, the rainy season didn't come. Many animals wandered toward the edge of the Game Reserve to look for water. We worried about them. There was a danger of them being killed by hunters outside the reserve. We hadn't seen any lions around our base camp for quite some time. Bones' visiting us unexpectedly one day surprised us. It was great to see him. "Good morning, Mr. Bones," I said. I noticed he still had his ear tag,"001." After playing around the camp and visiting the kitchen for a drink of water, he walked off into the plains. Two months passed and there was still no rain. We hadn't seen Bones during this time. We wondered if Bones was all right. Finally, we decided to search for him. As we approached the edge of the reserve, a friend's voice came over our radio. He was calling from a town outside the reserve. "Mark, Delia, this is Doug. Are you there?" "Yes, Doug, this is Mark. How are you?" "Fine, but I have some bad news for you. Some hunters shot a lions today. He's got one of your tags." "What's...the number, Doug?" "It's 001." (1)Why did Mark and Delia worry when the animals wondered toward the edge of the reserve? (2)How many months had passed before they decided to look for Bones? (3)What happened to Bones in the end? お願いします

• 和訳お願いします

If two American,girls vacationing in England hadn't stopped for five minutes in front of a shop window in the village of Newhaven, they would have been S25,000 poorer. Here's how it happened. The two girls, Betty and Jane had had a lovely holiday cycling around the lovely English countryside and now it was coming to an end. When they came to a little old village called Newhaven, they stopped to look at the shops for five minutes. They needed a present for their mother back in New York. Soon entered a little old antique shop which sold china, silver and all kinds of antiques. Mr Hubbard, the owner, asked if he could help them. "Yes," replied Jane, we need something for less than a dollar as a present. It's very difficult to buy any kind of antique for such a low price but finally Mr. Hubbard offered them a small bead necklace for just 70 cents, which they bought. When they got outside the shop Betty said, "It seems mean to give mother such a dirty-looking old necklace, but at least she couldn't buy it at a supermarket. Perhaps we can have it cleaned up a bit when we get to London. They went up to London that afternoon, then when they'd checked into a hotel, they took the necklace to Coghill's, a famous jeweller to have it cleaned. They 10 were told it would be ready for them to pick up the following morning. After a good night's sleep, they went to the shop and when they asked for the necklace, the man at the counter asked them to follow him to the president's office: In the beautiful room they were greeted but by Mr. Grisby, director of the not only by the president, was British Museum. Beside him in a red velvet-lined box, their necklace, now it looked different. Mr. Grisby said, "As you see, this is a necklace of beautiful black pearls, not beads. But more important is the fact that this is the most historical necklace in Britain. It belonged to Mary, Queen of Scotland who is said to have worn it in 1587 when she head cut off at the order of her cousin Queen Elizabeth 1 of England. At that time it was lost and we've been looking for it for nearly 400 years. Now you have found it. We hope you'll accept s25,000 for this necklace." Jane and Betty were so amazed they couldn't speak. They nodded their agreement.

• 和訳お願いします。

That was too tall a story for those early day scientists. They considered it an insolent intrusion on their prerogatives;for they knew that Edison had never attended a college nor been 'trained' to unravel a problem of such intricacy.In fact, the idea of using electricity in public service as light,heat or power,hadn't been dreamed of.Only one man in their opinion conceive such a wild fancy-Jules Verne. Ahead of Edison was a year of arduous toil.As we turn our kaleidoscope back to that year we see him working first on the low resistance platinum lamp and then on the high resistance one.We see him try rare or high fusion metals,which, moreover,he discovers are packed with occulaged gases,and he find a means of overcoming the gases.We see a new generator of electricity that returns 90 percent of the power applied to it;we see many lamps made of carbon filament.

• 和訳お願いします。

The truth is that President Trump’s choppy, rambling self-expression is not so exotic. A great many thoroughly intelligent people talk more like Donald Trump than they might know. What’s new is that someone who talks like this in public has become the president of the United States. Yet it isn’t surprising, and if we are not to spend the next hour to eight years alternating between exasperation and confusion as he sounds off, we need to learn a new way of listening.

• 和訳をお願いします。

翻訳機はなしで^^; Margie even wrote about it that night in her diary. On the page headed May 17, 2155, she wrote, 'Today Tommy found a real book." It was a very old book. Margie's grandfather had heard about books like it when he was a little boy. He once said his grandfather had told them that there was a time when all stories were printed on paper. They turned the pages, which were yellow. It was very funny to read the words. They stood still, instead of moving the way they were supposed to - on a screen, you know. And then, when they turned back to the page before, it had the same words on it. It was just the same as it had been when they read it the first time. "Oh," said Tommy. "What a waste! When you're through with the book, you just throw it away, I guess. Our television screen must have had a million books on it, and it's good for many more. I wouldn't throw it away." "Same with mine," said Margie. She was 11 and hadn't seen as many telebooks as Tommy had. He was 13. She said, 'Where did you find it?' "In my house." He pointed without looking, because he was busy reading. "In the attic." "What's it about?" "School."

• 和訳をお願いします

和訳をお願いします 長くなってすみません(>_<) The elders of the Native American Cherokee tribe in Lost City, Oklahoma are worried about their native language. They are afraid that the Cherokee language will be gone unless they do something soon. So,at the request of the tribe leaders, Lost City School decided to start a trial program to teach Cherokee. They started with a single class in its kndergarten. In the class, the children are called by their Cherokee names and they only in Cherokee. Once, the U.S. Government tired to assimilate Native Americans into American society. The policy made it difficult for the Cherokees to speak their language. They were laughed at for speaking it. They could even be punished when they spoke Cherokee. “When you spoke Cherokee, your mouth was washed out with soap,”says a Cherokee old-timer, remembering his younger days. If they wanted to live in peace, they needed to hide their language. Now, the children in the newly started class are encouraged to speak Cherokee not only in school, but also at home. One day, a boy in the class came home and said to his mother in Cherokee that he was going out to play. His mother didn't really understand what he said. But she is now starting to re-learn the language she once knew when she was a child. It is hard to bring Native American languages back to life, especially in places like Oklahoma. This is because Native Americans generally attended public schools and do not live on reservations. But the tribe leaders know that if no efforts were made to preserve their language,they would lose not only their language and culture, but also their identities.

• 和訳お願い致します。

下記文章の和訳をお願いいたします。 大学での課題の文章です。 Plato and Aristotle’s metaphysical theories can be seen as attempting to offer a response to Parmenides’ argument that change was an illusion. Why did Parmenides think that change was an illusion? Briefly describe the metaphysical systems of Plato and Aristotle and then explain how they allow an account of change that isn’t contradictory. 特に最後の一文「explain how they allow an account of change that isn’t contradictory.」意味がうまく取れません。 宜しくお願い致します。

• 和訳をお願いします

和訳をお願いします The following winter,my mother and father bought me a faux-fur brown coat with a matching hat.I loved my new coat and hat and felt like a big girl wearing the coat because it didn't have clip-on matching mittens. They had planned to buy me a coat with a hood because they knew how I was,but I begged and promised that I would be careful and not lose the hat. I especially loved the big fur pom-poms on the end of the hat's string.