• ベストアンサー

dark and long and immanent

アイルランドのbog(湿原)について書かれた文章です。 On my left, all the way as I went, the cliff of the bog's edge stood like a wave of a threatening tide, dark and long and immanent. このimmanentが辞書を引いても内在的な、主観的な、宇宙に神が内在するといった哲学的な意味しか見当たりません。この崖が神々しいということを言いたいのでしょうか?アドバイスよろしくお願いいたします。

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

似た言葉に imminent があります。崖などが(今にも崩れ落ちそうに)出っ張っている様子を指す言葉なのですが。このタイポではないでしょうか。詳細は下記などをご参考に http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/imminent

hiro_ga2_91
質問者

お礼

ご指摘ありがとうございます。immanentとはやはり無理があると感じていました。ご指摘のスペルですととても納得がいきます。そちらで解釈します。感謝いたします。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• frowning at the top with withered heather

And then the bog was before us;rushy lands at first,such as we call Bkack Bog; and at the end of those marshy fields,rising twelve feet above them, and frowning at the top with withered heather, lowered the red bog. アイルランドの湿地(bog)の描写の風景です。 まずはBlack Bogというイグサの野原 その湿地の先が12フィート高くなっている。その頂上は枯れたヒースであり、それが<眉をひそめている> その先は低い赤い湿原になっている。 この文章の後半部分の意味がよく解らないでいます。アドバイスを頂けると助かります。よろしくお願いいたします。

• The Dark Glassesから

Coming to the edge of the lake we paused to look at our reflections in the water. It was then I recognized her from the past, her face looking up from the lake. She had not stopped talking.  I put on my dark glasses to shield my eyes from the sun and conceal my recognition from her eyes.  "Am I boring you?" she said.  "No, not a bit, Dr Gray."  "Sure?"  It is discouraging to put on sun-glasses in the middle of someone's intimate story. But they were necessary, now that I had recognized her, and was excited, and could only honourably hear what she had to say from a point of concealment. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 ●It was then I recognized her from the past, her face looking up from the lake. her faceは I recognized her face looking up from the lakeという繋がりですか? ●and could only honourably hear what she had to say from a point of concealment. ここの意味がよくわかりません。 隠蔽のポイントから彼女が言う必要があることを見事に聞くことができるだけでした? どういうことを言っているのでしょうか? from a point of concealmentは直前のsayにかかるのでしょうか? それともhearですか? 教えてください。お願いいたします。

• いきなり dark と出てきたら「暗い髪色の」か?

60年代のアメリカの文献です。 A thin, dark man wearing a large jade ring was seated at a small French provincial desk. He nervously turned the pages of a chart book, pausing frequently to draw neat geometric patterns in red and blue with the aid of a draftsman’s triangle. 試訳 「痩せていて、暗い髪色の男。大きな翡翠の指輪をしている。フランス地方様式の机にかじり付き、落ち着きなくチャートブックの頁を繰っている。頁を繰る手を止めたと思うと、製図定規を手にして、赤線や青線で丁寧に幾何学模様を書き加えている。」 場所は証券会社の顧客が調べ物などをする部屋です。この人は全くのチョイ役で、この段落に出てくるだけだし、外見の描写はこの「thin, dark」のみです。こうした場合の dark は、「髪の色が暗い(日本でいえば、焦げ茶色~濃い焦げ茶色くらい?)」と解してよいのでしょうか。 さらにいうと、「白人だがブロンドではない」という意味でしょうか。 そしてさらに、何か文学的・社会学的なニュアンスを含んだ表現なのでしょうか? たとえば、「白人だがブロンドではないので、あまり上流階級ではないと推察される」とか、「やや素性が知れない」とか、逆に、暗い髪のほうが知的なイメージがあるとか?

• The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

She had raised the bottle and was reading the label with her one good eye. "Yes, this is mine. It has my name on it," she said. Dark Basil, dark Dorothy. There was something wrong after all. She walked upstairs with her bottle of eye-drops. The brother put his hand on my elbow and heaved me to my feet, forgetting his coloured slides. "There's nothing wrong with your eyes. Off you go." He pushed me into the front shop. His flat eyes were wide open as he handed me my glasses. He pointed to the door. "I'm a busy man," he said. From upstairs came a long scream. Basil jerked open the door for me, but I did not move. Then Dorothy, upstairs, screamed and screamed and screamed. Basil put his hands to his head, covering his eyes. Dorothy appeared on the bend of the stairs, screaming, doubled-up, with both hands covering her good eye. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 Basil=検眼士です。 Dorothyは検眼士の姉です。 主人公が検眼のためにBasilの店を訪れている場面です。 ------------------------------------------------------------- ●Dark Basil, dark Dorothy. There was something wrong after all. のところについてですが、 前回Basilと Dorothyの姉弟はグルになっていると主人公は感じ取ったのですが、 There was something wrong after all.(結局何かおかしいのだ?)と主人公が感じたのは、前回の場面で She had lifted down a small brown bottle. "I want my eye-drops. I wish you wouldn't displace--Are these they?" I noted her correct phrase, "Are these they?" and it seemed just over the border of correctness. という個所があり、"Are these they?"と正確に言い過ぎていることに由来している気がします。 なぜ正確に言い過ぎていることがDark Basil, dark Dorothy. There was something wrong after all.と感じとっているのかがよくわかりません。(それともこの正確に言い過ぎている場面とは関係なくDark Basil, dark Dorothy. There was something wrong after all.と思っているのでしょうか?) (質問がうまくまとめられずわかりにくくてすみません) ●Basil jerked open the door for me, but I did not move.の個所について open the door for…で、「(自分で開けられない人に代わって)ドアを開けてやる」とあったのですが、その前のjerkedは「ぐいと押す」という意味だと思うので、この英文の構造はどうなっているのでしょうか? 教えてください。よろしくお願いします。 前文は "That seems to be all right," Mr Simmonds said. "But wait a moment." He produced some coloured slides with lettering on them. Miss Simmonds gave me what appeared to be a triumphant one-eyed leer, and as one who washes her hands of a person, started to climb the stairs. Plainly, she knew I had lost my attraction for her brother. But before she turned the bend in the stairs she stooped and came down again. She went to a row of shelves and shifted some bottles. I read on. She interrupted: "My eye-drops, Basil. I made them up this morning. Where are they?" Mr Simmonds was suddenly watching her as if something inconceivable was happening. "Wait, Dorothy. Wait till I've tested the girl's eyes." She had lifted down a small brown bottle. "I want my eye-drops. I wish you wouldn't displace--Are these they?" I noted her correct phrase, "Are these they?" and it seemed just over the border of correctness. Perhaps, after all, this brother and sister were strange, vicious, in the wrong. となっています。

• There is 構文を使いそうな文で

Beyond the edge of the cliff was a 300-foot vertical drop to the ocean. 「崖の端を越えたところには、海まで300フィートの垂直な絶壁がある。」 上記のような例文で 時々みるんですが、 こういうのは There was a 300-foot vertical drop to the ocean+ beyond the edge of the cliff.にしてもいいと思っています。 このような例文を他にも探したいのですが、参考書文献も例文も探せないでいます。 もし いいなら  In this classroom is an old book shelf. (= This classroom has an old book shelf. / There is an old book shelf in this classroom.)  みたいな 前置詞の副詞句が(前にThe placeみたいな名詞が省略とみるのかな?)主語の位置に来て  文を作ってもかまわないという風に考えていいのでしょうか? 他の例文なども一緒にご意見をいただけると嬉しいです。 よろしくおねがいいたします。

• an almost certain draw

1900年頃のアイルランドの作家の文章です。狐狩りの話しですが湿原近くにあるコリヤナギの林をan almost certain drawと言っているように思えます。このdrawの意味が解りません。アドバイスよろしくお願いします。浅い乾いた谷のことでしょうか? It was a long jog to Clonrue, over five miles:that is the beauty of Irish coverts, there are usually so few that when a fox leaves one he has a very long way to go to the next one; and there was a wood of wild osiers beyond Clonrue near the bog, an almost certain draw.

"I took up psychology during the war. Up till then I was in general practice." I had come to the summer school to lecture on history and she on psychology. Psychiatrists are very often ready to talk to strangers about their inmost lives. This is probably because they spend so much time hearing out their patients. I did not recognize Dr Gray, except as a type, when I had attended her first lecture on "the psychic manifestations of sex." She spoke of child-poltergeists, and I was bored, and took refuge in observing the curious language of her profession. I noticed the word "arousement". "Adolescents in a state of sexual arousement," she said, "may become possessed of almost psychic insight." Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 過去の回想シーンが続いていましたが、ここから現代に戻ります。 主人公とDr Grayが湖の近くを一緒に歩いて話しています。 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ● I did not recognize Dr Gray, except as a typeの個所はどういう意味でしょうか? typeは典型ですか? 教えてください。よろしくお願いします。 以下は物語の冒頭の部分です。この場面に戻ってきています。 Coming to the edge of the lake we paused to look at our reflections in the water. It was then I recognized her from the past, her face looking up from the lake. She had not stopped talking.  I put on my dark glasses to shield my eyes from the sun and conceal my recognition from her eyes.  "Am I boring you?" she said.  "No, not a bit, Dr Gray."  "Sure?"  It is discouraging to put on sun-glasses in the middle of someone's intimate story. But they were necessary, now that I had recognized her, and was excited, and could only honourably hear what she had to say from a point of concealment.

"That seems to be all right," Mr Simmonds said. "But wait a moment." He produced some coloured slides with lettering on them. Miss Simmonds gave me what appeared to be a triumphant one-eyed leer, and as one who washes her hands of a person, started to climb the stairs. Plainly, she knew I had lost my attraction for her brother. But before she turned the bend in the stairs she stooped and came down again. She went to a row of shelves and shifted some bottles. I read on. She interrupted: "My eye-drops, Basil. I made them up this morning. Where are they?" Mr Simmonds was suddenly watching her as if something inconceivable was happening. "Wait, Dorothy. Wait till I've tested the girl's eyes." She had lifted down a small brown bottle. "I want my eye-drops. I wish you wouldn't displace--Are these they?" I noted her correct phrase, "Are these they?" and it seemed just over the border of correctness. Perhaps, after all, this brother and sister were strange, vicious, in the wrong. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 Basil=検眼士です。 Dorothyは検眼士の姉です。 主人公が検眼のためにBasilの店を訪れている場面です。 ---------------------------------------------------------- ●Miss Simmonds gave me what appeared to be a triumphant one-eyed leer, and as one who washes her hands of a person, started to climb the stairs.のone who washes her hands of a personとはどういう意味ですか? ●最後の行の方にあるit seemed just over the border of correctness.とはどういうことを言っているのでしょうか? (itはAre these they?のセリフの部分を指していると思うのですが、それがどうしてjust over the border of correctnessと思われたのかわかりません) ●一番最後に主人公が2人の姉弟に対してPerhaps, after all, this brother and sister were strange, vicious, in the wrong.と思っているのですが、この根拠がよくわかりません。 小説を前から読んでいないと大変わかりにくいかと思いますが、教えてください。よろしくお願いします。 前文は Dorothy was beside us in no time. She peered one-eyed at the glasses, then at me. "Are you constipated?" she said. I maintained silence. But I felt she was seeing everything through her green glasses. "Put them on," Dorothy said. "Try them on," said Basil. They were ganged up together. Everything was going wrong, for I had come here to see how matters stood between them after the affair of the will. Basil gave me something to read. "It's all right now," I said, "but it was all a blur when I tried to read this morning." "Better take a dose," Dorothy said. I wanted to get out of the shop with my glasses as quickly as possible, but the brother said, "I'd better test your eyes again while you're here just to make sure." He seemed quite normal. I followed him into the dark interior. Dorothy switched on the light. They both seemed normal. The scene in the little office last night began to lose its conviction. As I read out the letters on the card in front of me I was thinking of Basil as "Mr Simmonds" and Dorothy as "Miss Simmonds", and feared their authority, and was in the wrong. となっています。

Then he took up the pen. I can still smell the rain and hear it thundering about me, and feel it dripping on my head from the bough hanging above me. He raised his eyes and looked out at the rain. It seemed his eyes rested on me, at my station between the tree and the window. I kept still and close to the tree like a hunted piece of nature, willing myself to be the colour of bark and leaves and rain. Then I realized how much more clearly I could see him than he me, for it was growing dark. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 he=検眼士です。 窓の外から主人公が検眼士の様子を窺っている場面です。 ------------------------------------------ ●It seemed his eyes rested on me, at my station ~・・・ここのmy stationとはどういう意味ですか? ●I kept still and close to the tree like a hunted piece of nature, willing myself to be the colour of bark and leaves and rain.について a hunted piece of natureとはどういう意味ですか? ●Then I realized how much more clearly I could see him than he meについて he meのつながりがわかりません。どう読むのでしょうか? 前文は He did extract one long sheet of paper, and held it up. It was typewritten with a paragraph in handwriting at the bottom on the side visible from the window. He laid it side by side with another sheet of paper which was lying on the desk. I pressed close up to the window, intending to wave and smile if I was seen, and to call out that I was sheltering from the rain which was now coming down in thumps. But he kept his eyes on the two sheets of paper. There were other papers lying about the desk; I could not see what was on them. But I was quite convinced that he had been practising handwriting on them, and that he was in the process of forging his mother's will. となっています。 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

"Can you read?" said Mr Simmonds.   I stopped looking round. I said, "Read what?"--for I had been told I would be asked to read row after row of letters. The card which hung beneath the dim light showed pictures of trains and animals.   "Because if you can't read we have pictures for illiterates."  This was Mr Simmonds' joke. I giggled. His sister smiled and dabbed her right eye with her handkerchief. She had been to London for an operation on her right eye.  I recall reading the letters correctly down to the last few lines, which were too small. I recall Mr Simmonds squeezing my arm as I left the shop, turning his sandy freckled face in a backward glance to see for certain that his sister was not watching. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 Mr Simmonds=検眼士です。 ーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーー ●row after row of lettersのところはどうやって読むのでしょうか? ●Mr Simmonds' jokeというのは、主人公の女の子が字が読めないなら、と言って(検眼のときに)文字ではなく絵を見せたことですか? 前文は I had seen Miss Simmonds once before, at a garden fete, where she stood on a platform in a big hat and blue dress, and sang "Sometimes between long shadows on the grass", while I picked up windfall apples, all of which seemed to be rotten. Now in her white overall she turned and gave me a hostile look, as if I had been seducing her brother. I felt sexually in the wrong, and started looking round the dark room with a wide-eyed air. となっています。 宜しくお願いします。