The Remarkable 'Hymn to Aphrodite' and Its Literary Significance

このQ&Aのポイント
  • The 'Hymn to Aphrodite' is a remarkable piece of literature that depicts a divine being as an unwilling victim of an irresistible force.
  • The poem showcases the power and actions of Aphrodite, who despite being a victim, behaves as a divine being.
  • The literary significance of the 'Hymn to Aphrodite' lies in its portrayal of a complex and compelling character in the face of a powerful force.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

(167)The "Hymn to Aphrodite"……この英文はどう訳せばよいでしょうか

QA167 The "Hymn to Aphrodite" is not the least remarkable, from a literary point of view, of the whole collection, exhibiting as it does in a masterly manner a divine being as the unwilling victim of an irresistible force. 『アプロディーティーへの讃歌』は、このコレクション全体の中で、圧倒的な力に よる不本意な犠牲者だけれども、主だった振る舞いの時は、神として行動するので、文学的視点からは、殆ど注目されない。 質問 (1)as…as…について 指示副詞と接続詞(と同じように)ではないように思われる。 ともに接続詞で、二番目のasは‘だけれども’、最初のasは‘ので’ と考えた。これが正しいかどうか分からない。  (2)exhibiting as it does in a masterly manner a divine beingについて     このasは(1)のように‘ので’     Itはa master mannerのこと     doesはexhibitingを意味すると考えました。 日本語の辻褄を合わせもので、文法的根拠はない。  (3)"Hymn to Aphrodite" について この話の中味は分からない。       しかし、Aphrodite が‘unwilling victim‘であり、“divine being” ということはありうる。     次に、the unwilling victim, a divine beingの冠詞が異なる。       これをどう解釈すればよいか分からない。 *言葉使いが乱暴ですが、よろしくお願いします。

noname#171580
noname#171580
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Ahiru-san
  • ベストアンサー率49% (50/102)
回答No.1

まず、  not the least remarkable は 「殆ど注目されない」 ではなくて、 逆に、「注目に値しないものではない」 です。  これなら日本語の辻褄を合わせも、少しは楽になるでしょう。 さて、The "Hymn to Aphrodite" is not the least remarkable, from a literary point of view, of the whole collection, ここまでは、「『アプロディーティーへの讃歌』は、文学的視点からはこのコレクション全体の中でも注目に値しないものではない。」 残りは"Hymn to Aphrodite"の付加的な説明で、 as it does in a masterly mannerはただの副詞節なので、「巨匠的な風格(筆致)で」あるいは「とっても上手に」(訳し方はいろいろあるでしょうが)、 と外に出す。 あとは、 exhibiting a divine being as the unwilling victim of an irresistible force. 「『圧倒的な力による不本意な犠牲者としての神聖な存在』を記載している。」 これがHymn to Aphroditeにかかります。 (exhibit は describe くらいの意味ですね。) 全文を私の言葉で訳すと、 『アプロディーティーへの讃歌』は、文学的視点からはこのコレクション全体の中でも特筆すべきものである。それにはあがない難い力に屈していやいやながら生け贄になった女神が、巨匠的な筆致で描かれている。」 かなり、面倒な文ですが、こうやって分解していくとわかってくるでしょう。

noname#171580
質問者

お礼

(1)not the least remarkable 二重否定を見落としました。 (2)Hymn to Aphroditeの付加的説明という着眼 この二点について、検討し、やり直してみます。 すごい文章です。   ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 品詞について

I recall It as being one of~ の文でasは前置詞ですか接続詞ですか?

• 英文の解説をお願いします。

There is such a thing as being so dedicated to fairness, as an elemental law, so rigidly a part of your being, that when you encounter someone who doesn't give it that much stock you are unfair to them. *この英文の構造と意味がわかりません。 *as an elemental law→基本的な法律ですか? * so rigidly a part of your being, that when you encounter someone who doesn't give it that much stock you are unfair to them. →thatが二つ出てくるのですが、文法的にどのようになっているのでしょうか? →itはa thing as being so dedicated to fairnessのことですか? お手数ですが教えてください。

• To use the law of attraction to you

To use the law of attraction to your advantage, make it a habitual way of being, not just a one-time event. 以上の文のmake it a habitual way of beingはどのように訳したら良いでしょうか? 特にof beingの意味が良く分かりません。文法的にどう理解すればよいか教えていただければ幸甚です。

• 英文解釈お願いします””一部だけでも本当にありがたいです!宜しくお願いします#

【終わりに】 1、人身取引問題はとても複合的な問題であると思う。 2、国境を越えたヒト・モノ・カネの容易化が人身取引に拍車をかけたとも言えるのではないだろうか。 3、被害者を人間と扱わない人身取引という犯罪は人権を重視する現代社会において許される行為ではない。 4、こうした犯罪を放置することは、国の威信に関わることだと思う。5、私は今まで日本の人身取引の実情を正確に把握してなかった。 6、今はそのことが恥ずかしくて仕方がない。 7、これまで政府をはじめとする機関の活動を中心に話してきた。 8、しかし、何より大切なのは私たち一人一人の意識であると私は思う。 9、いくら素晴らしい法律が存在して、犯罪するものを阻止し検挙し、被害者のケアが万全だとしても被害者が出ることに変わりはない。 10、それよりは私たち世界中の人々がこの人権問題を真摯に受け止め 考えることで、将来加害者となる可能性のある人間を一人でも多く作らないことが大切なことなのではないだろうか? 【Conclusion】 1、I think that human trafficking problem is a very compound problem. 2、It may be said that development of the globalization accelerated human trafficking. 3、As for the modern society making much of human rights, human trafficking which does not see a victim as a human being is not a permissible act. 4、It would be shameful for us to leave such a crime. 5、I did not know the fact of the human trafficking in Japan precisely so far. 6、It can not help being shameful now. 7、I talked mainly on the activity of the government so far. 8、However I think that it is the most important for us to be conscious about this problem above all. 9、Even if there is a perfect law, it is unchanged that a victim does not disappear perfectly. 10、I think that it is important for all of us in the world not to create another possible offender any more in the future by taking rather the human rights issue seriously than the law.

• (162)The "Hymn to ……この英文はどう訳せばよいでしょうか

QA162 The "Hymn to Hermes" differs from others in its burlesque, quasi-comic character, and it is also the best-known of the Hymns to English readers in consequence of Shelley's translation. After a brief narrative of the birth of Hermes, the author goes on to show how he won a place among the gods. 試し訳 『ヘルメスへの讃歌』はバロディー、準コミックな性格の点で、他の作品群と異なり、シェリーの翻訳の結果、イギリスの読者には讃歌のなかでも特によく知られていて、この作者は、ヘルメースの誕生の短い話のあと、神々の間で彼がいかに立場を勝ち取ったかを述べ続ける。 質問 この部分は、試し訳に不自然なところがあれば、指摘してください。 QA163 First the new-born child found a tortoise and from its shell contrived the lyre; next, with much cunning circumstance, he stole Apollo's cattle and, when charged with the theft by Apollo, forced that god to appear in undignified guise before the tribunal of Zeus. 最初に、新生児がカメを見つけ、その甲羅から楯琴を工夫した。次に、色々な巧妙な状況を作り出して、彼はアポローンの牛を盗んだ。そして、アポローンによってこの盗みを訴えられた時、ゼウスの裁きの前に、その神がみっともない恰好で表れざるを得ないようにした。 質問 (1)that godについて    この文から判断すると、ゼウスのことでしょうか。 (2)with much cunning circumstanceについて    Withの意味が分かりません。    「いろいろな巧妙な状況を使って」としましたが、「状況を作り出して」 「手段として」と解釈してよいでしょうか。

• この英文?

この英文の意味と、文法的な説明誰かできませんか? Standing as it does on a hill,the church commands a fine view.

• 英文解釈について(><)///

下記英文解釈について教えていただきたいです。よろしくお願いします♪ (1-37)A slice of bread represents centuries of evolution, starting with a single wild variety of wheat, which humans adapted to their needs. Originating ((1)ing形から始まるのはなぜでしょうか?)wheat cultivation in the valley of the Tigris River, wheat cultivation spread along the lines of civilization. As wheat cultivation spread, different climates and soils served to produce new varieties. Eventually this became a conscious process, with different strains of wheat being crossed ((2)beingは何でしょうか?) to create entirely new kinds, combining ((3)combiningの主語はどれでしょうか?)the desirable characteristics of the parent strains. As a result of this process of diversification, there are now thousands of varieties of wheat being grown ((4)beingは何でしょうか?)around the world. (1-38) Although the United States is blessed almost a billion hectares of land suited for agriculture, that ((5),thatと続く理由?は何でしょうか?) alone does not explain its tremendous capacity for production. (1-39) Scientists have achieved a broad understanding of how ((6)前置詞+how名詞節で副詞になるのでしょうか?) the human body transforms the raw materials it ((7)itが来る理由は何でしょうか?) obtains from food into the 45 nutrients needed to fuel activity and build cells. Unabsorbed residues pass though the small intense into the large intense, where ((9), whereと続く理由は何でしょうか?) they are stored for variable periods before being eliminated from the body. (2-1) Most weight-losing effort, regaining weight and returning to the weight they were before. ((10)Most weight-losing effortが主語でしょうか?) (2-2) He had several reasons for not eating meat, one being, ((11)one-beingと続く理由は何でしょうか?) his fondness for animals. (2-5) Until the late 19th century, the smallest recognized unit of matter was the atom, of which ((12)of whichがくる理由は何でしょうか?)92 basic types comprise the 92 elements, which compose all oridinary materials.

• 英文を訳してください。

I have been thinking about this question for some time. As a matter of fact, one user of the Q&A site Quora asked the same question, “What does it mean to be Japanese?” With your permission, I would like to present to you the following link: https://www.quora.com/What-does-it-mean-to-be-Japanese As you can see, the question has been given answers on Quora, but they are written in English. Furthermore, there are less than one million Japanese users out of more than one hundred million users. As a result, questions about Japan are more likely to be answered by Americans, British, Canadians, Chinese, Germans, Indians, South Koreans, etc. Being able to write English skillfully is a requirement, but I believe that there is a Quora Japanese Language Version now. That is why this Canadian would like to ask Japanese who were born and raised in Japan this question: what does it mean to be Japanese? • If I put this question into the wrong category, then I apologize.

• (145)But it may fairly be doubted この……この英文はどう訳せばよいでしょうか

QA145 But it may fairly be doubted whether such Hymns as those to "Demeter" (ii), "Apollo" (iii), "Hermes" (iv), "Aphrodite" (v), can have been real preludes, in spite of the closing formula 'and now I will pass on to another hymn'. 試し訳 しかし、結びの極まり文句「そして、いまや、私は他の賛歌に進むことにする」 という締めくくりの言葉にも関わらず、『デーメテール』(ii)、『アポローン』(ⅲ)『ヘルメース』(ⅳ)、『アフロディテー』(ⅴ)といったこれらと同じ賛歌が、実質的な序曲であったかどうかは、かなり疑わしい(かもしれない)。 質問 何をいおうとしているのか、よく読み取れない。 (1)"Demeter" (ii), "Apollo" (iii), "Hermes" (iv), "Aphrodite" (v)に ついて これは(ⅰ)がなく、(ⅱ)(ⅲ)(ⅳ)(ⅴ)だけですが、これは序曲の 整理上の番号と考えられる。 (2)whether such Hymns as those to D,A,H,A.について     ‘such Hymns=those=D,A,H,Aと思われる。   (3)QA(144)のPROOIMIONには、(i)から(ⅳ)以外の叙事詩 も含まれていて、such Hymnsの全部が序曲とは言えないだろうと述べて いるように思えます。 こいういう理解で正しいでしょうか。

• 契約書の英文

英文契約書の勉強をしているのですが、雇用契約書の中で以下の文章が出てきました。 A reference to a particular law is a reference to it as it is in force for the time being taking account of any amendment, extension, or re-enactment. この場合の"reference to it as it is in force "は文法的にどのような構成になっているのか(何かの語句が省略されているのか)教えていただけませんか?また、全体の訳についてもご教示いただければ助かります。