Don't Be Deceived by Looks: The Warnings of Wise Sayings

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Some wise sayings warn us not to be deceived by good looks or artificial politeness: “All that glitters is not gold” and “full of courtesy, full of craft.” We are attracted to good looks, but we must remember that “Beauty is but skin deep.”
  • We should not allow ourselves to be deceived by a pretty or handsome exterior, but unfortunately “love is blind,” and when we are infatuated with someone, it is difficult to read her heart, to distinguish her good qualities from her bad qualities. Other people, who are not blinded by love, may be able to see her as she really is, not as our infatuation persuades us she is.
  • Mere physical attraction is never a good basis for marriage or for a love affair. For young people who fall in love for the first time, we have many proverbs to guide them. One of these comes from Shakespeare: “Love will find a way,” for “love laughs at locksmiths”: even though lovers separated by locked doors, their love, if it is strong, will enable them to find a way out of their difficulties.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

長文の全訳をチェックしてほしいです

入試の問題の過去問に出ている文を全訳してみたのですが 怪しいところがかなりあるのでチェックしてほしいです。 Some wise sayings warn us not to be deceived by good looks or artificial politeness: “All that glitters is not gold” and “full of courtesy, full of craft.” いくつかの賢いことわざは私たちに良い見た目や作り物の礼儀正しさにだまされるなと警告しており、「輝いているもののすべてが金というわけではない。」「礼儀正しすぎるときは何かたくらんでいる。」などがある。 We are attracted to good looks, but we must remember that “Beauty is but skin deep.” 私たちは良い見た目にひきつけられるが、「美しさは皮一重に過ぎない」ということを忘れてはいけない。 We should not allow ourselves to be deceived by a pretty or handsome exterior, but unfortunately “love is blind,” and when we are infatuated with someone it is difficult to read her heart, to distinguish her good qualities from her bad qualities. 私たちはかわいいか、ハンサムな外見にだまされるのを許すべきではないが、不幸なことに「愛は盲目」であり、 私たちが誰かに夢中になっているとき、彼女の気持ちを読むことや、彼女の良い所と悪いところを区別するのは難しい。 “Beauty, “says one proverb, “is in the eye of the beholder.” 「美しさは見る人の目の中にある」ということわざがある。 ◎It is what we make of a person that counts: her beauty depends on us. 彼女の美しさは私たちに依存する。 Other people, who are not blinded by love, may be able to see her as she really is, not as our infatuation persuades us she is. 愛によって盲目になっていない別の人々は私たちの夢中になっている状態が私たちに納得させている彼女ではなく本当の彼女を見ることができるかもしれない。 Mere physical attraction is never a good basis for marriage or for a love affair. ただの身体の魅力に過ぎないものは決して結婚や恋愛の良い理由にはならない。 ◎“Love me little, love me long“is an excellent saying in this respect: love in moderation is likely to last a long time, while blazing passion soon dies out. 「少し愛して、長く愛して」はこの理由ですばらしいことわざである。・・・ For young people who fall in love for the first time we have many proverbs to guide them. 初めて恋に落ちた若者のためを導くための多くのことわざが私たちにはある。 ◎One of these comes from Shakespeare: “Love will find a way,” for “love laughs at locksmiths”: even though lovers separated by locked doors, their love, if it is strong, will enable them to find a way out of their difficulties. 「愛は道を見つけるだろう」「愛は鍵師をあざ笑う」などの中の1つはシェイクスピアから来ている。 恋人達は鍵のかかっている扉に分けられるにもかかわらず、彼らの愛がもし強ければ彼らの困難から抜け出す道を見つけることができるだろう。 ◎がついているのは特に怪しい部分です。 ことわざが多数含まれているようだったので訳しづらかったです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • ohboy729
  • ベストアンサー率41% (244/589)
回答No.1

こんばんは!文はほとんど訳せていると思います。また、気が付いてところだけ書いてみます。 handsone;「見目麗しい、立派な身なりの、容貌の」で男女両方に使います。後文がherとなっているので 「見目麗しい、美しい」の方がいいのではないでしょうか。 →「可愛いとか、見た目がきれいとかいうことに惑わされてはいけない。しかし、「愛は盲目」というように人は誰かに 夢中になると彼女の本質を見抜きにくくなったり、長所や短所の区別が難しくなったりする。」 “Beauty, “says one proverb, “is in the eye of the beholder.” 「美しさは見る人の目の中にある」ということわざがある。 →これは「美しさ」というのは対象にあるのではなくそれを感じる人の気持ちや意識にあるということですね。 >◎It is what we make of a person that counts: her beauty depends on us. 彼女の美しさは私たちに依存する。 It is A that counts:「重要になるのはAである」という構文ですね。 :(コロン)は「つまりは」の意味です what we make ofはmake much of (ーを重視する)/ make little of (ーを軽視する)/make nothing of(ーを何とも思わない)のように 「ーをどのように思うか」だと思います。 →「重要なのは私達がある人のことをどう思うかです。つまりは、その人の美しさは私達の方にかかっているのです。」 >◎“Love me little, love me long“is an excellent saying in this respect: love in moderation is likely to last a long time , while blazing passion soon dies out. 「少し愛して、長く愛して」はこの理由ですばらしいことわざである。・・・ respect:点、観点 「少し愛して、長く愛して」は昔、サントリーのウイスキーのコマーシャルで流れた台詞ですね。(20年くらい前)(笑) →「私を激しく恋してくれるよりも永く愛し続けて欲しい」というのはこの点では金言といえる。言い換えると、控えめな恋愛の方が長く続き、 一方、燃えるような情熱ははかなく消え去るということだ。 「愛は道を見つけるだろう」「愛は鍵師をあざ笑う」などの中の1つはシェイクスピアから来ている。 恋人達は鍵のかかっている扉に分けられるにもかかわらず、彼らの愛がもし強ければ彼らの困難から抜け出す道を見つけることができるだろう。 →この諺の一つはシェークスピアの「愛を妨げるものはない」「愛に鍵はかけられない」という言葉から由来し、つまりは、・・・(後は良いです。)

Stealth7
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました! 非常に丁寧に教えてくださったおかげで よく分からなかった文も理解することができました。

関連するQ&A

• 長文の全訳をチェックしてほしいです。

入試の過去問の本文を全訳してみたのですが怪しいところがかなりあるのでチェックしてもらいたいです。 前の質問の続きの文章になっています。 atteries are of two general types: primary cells that are discharged once and then discarded and secondary batteries that are recharged and used again. 電池は一般的な二つのタイプがあり、1つは一度放電したら捨てるもので、もう1つは再充電し、再び使うものである。 One of the interesting features of batteries is the very wide range of seizes in which they are manufactured,form a stored energy content of ca. 0.1 watt-hour(Wh) for a watch or calculator battery, to 100 MWh for a load-leveling battery in electrical supply industry. 電池の面白い特徴の1つに製造される大きさの範囲がとても幅広いということがあり、貯蔵エネルギーの含有量が約0.1Whの時計や電卓用の電池から、約100MWhの電力供給会社の負荷の標準化装置の電池まである。 Can there be any other industry in which products are produced in such size range? 他の産業にこのような幅広いサイズの生産物を生産するところはあり得るでしょうか? Estimating the market for batteries is notoriously difficult. 電池の市場を見積もることは知ってのとおり難しい。 In 1991 the world battery market was estimated at US$ 21 000m, with 40 per cent by value attributable to primer cells and 60 per cent secondaries. 1991年の世界の電池市場はUSドルで21000mと見積もられ、そのうち40パーセントの値段が1つ目の電池によるもので、60パーセントが2つ目の電池によるものであった。 Undoubtedly, the market has grown since then. 明らかに、電池の市場はそのころから成長した。 A more recent (1999) estimate of the Japanese market is ca. US$ 8000m, of which 25 per cent is due to primary cells and 75 per cent to secondary batteries. さらに最近(1999年)になると日本の市場の見積もりはUS$で8000mで、25パーセントが1つ目の、75パーセントが2つ目の電池によるものとなっている。 Even if these figures are only approximate, this is clearly major industry worldwide. たとえこれらの数値がおおよそのものに過ぎなくても、これは明らかに世界の主要産業である。 英語が問題の本文で日本語は自分でつけた訳です。 全体的に解釈がおかしい気がして何か意味が分からなくなってしまいました。 どうかよろしくお願いします。

• 長文の全訳をチェックしてほしいです(1)

入試の過去問の本文を全訳してみたのですが怪しいところがかなりあるのでチェックしてもらいたいです。 Three centuries ago science was transformed by the dramatic new idea that rules based on mathematical equations could be used to describe the natural world. 3世紀前、科学は数学的方程式に基づくルールが自然界を表現できるという劇的な新しい考えによって一変した。 My purpose in this book is to initiate another such transformation, and to introduce a new kind of science that is based on the much more general types of rules that can be embodied in simple computer programs. この本での私の目的はもう一つそのような変化を始めることと、単純なコンピュータのプログラムで表現することができるはるかに一般的なルールの種類に基づく新しい科学の種類を紹介することである。 It has taken me the better part of twenty years (that) build the intellectual structure that is needed, but I have been amazed (at) its results. それは私を、必要とされる知的構造を構築する20年のより良い部分に連れて行ったが(?)、私はその結果に驚かされてきた。 For what I have found is that with the new kind of (science) I have developed it suddenly becomes possible to make progress on a remarkable range of fundamental issues that have never successfully been addressed by any ( ) the existing sciences before. 私が見つけたものは私が新しい種類の科学と共に発展させてきたものなので、それは以前から存在していた科学が取り組んでも決して成功することはなかった根本的な問題の目立った範囲において突然進歩を可能にした。 If theoretical science is to be possible at all, then at some level the systems it studies must follow definite rules. もし仮に理論的な科学がそれなりのシステムで可能だとしたら、・・・ it studies must follow definite rules.この部分は構文がどうなっているのか分かりません。 よかったらここの構文も教えてもらいたいです。 Yet in the past throughout the exact sciences it has usually been assumed that these rules must be ones based on traditional mathematics. しかしながらこれまでの正確な科学では、これらのルールは従来の数学に基づいていなければならないのが当然だと普通考えられてきた。 これもYet in the past throughout the exact sciencesの部分がどういう構文なのか分からないです。 But the crucial realization that led me to develop the new kind of science in this book is that there is in fact no reason to think that systems like those we see in nature should follow only such traditional mathematical rules. しかし、その私にこの本で新しい種類の科学を発展させることを許す重大な認識は、私たちが実際に見るそれらのようなシステムはそれらのような従来の数学のルールの後にだけ続くべきである、と考える理由は実際はないということである。 とりあえず訳してみて日本語的におかしい部分がたくさんでいまいちこの文で行っていることが読み取れませんでした。 ( )になっている部分はこの文章は入試の過去問の文章なので、問題でその部分に入る適切な単語を埋めよというものです。考えて入れてみたのですがおかしかったらそこもしていただきたいです。 どうかよろしくお願いします。 もう一つの質問がこの文の続きになっていますのでもしよろしかったらそちらのほうもお願いします。

• 長文の全訳をチェックしてほしいです(1)

入試の過去問の本文を全訳してみたのですが怪しいところがかなりあるのでチェックしてもらいたいです。 What does “go green” mean to you? 「緑にいこう」とはあなたにとって何を意味しますか? Does it mean wearing a green t-shirt? 緑色のTシャツを着ることを意味しますか? Or does it mean actually reducing your “carbon footprint,” the amount of resources that you use? もしくは実際にあなたのカーボンフットプリント、つまりあなたが使う資源の量を減らすことを意味しますか? The kids and teachers at Head Royce School, in Oakland, California, choose to reduce the mark they leave on the environment by cutting back on their greenhouse-gas emissions. カリフォルニア州のオークランドにあるヘッドロイス学校の子供たちや教師たちは彼らの環境への跡を温効果ガスの排出量を削減することで、減らしていくことを選んだ。 A green business is a company that meets a set of clean energy standards, and is able to reduce waste and water consumption. グリーンビジネスはクリーンエネルギー標準化をかなえたり、無駄や水の消費を減らしたりすることができる会社である。 Head Royce School went green by installing 412 solar panels on the roof of their gym. ヘッドロイス学校は412枚のソーラーパネルを体育館の屋上に設置することで環境にやさしくした。 The idea to go green started in October 2006, when the student head of the school’s Environmental Club invited a member of the Green Schools Initiative to speak at the school. 環境にやさしくいこうとする考えは2006年10月に始まり、それは学校の環境クラブのリーダーの学生が環境に優しい学校の率先のメンバーを、話し合いをするために招いたときだった。 Soon after, the students watched a screening of the former Vice President Al Gore’s documentary, An Inconvenient Truth. その後すぐ、学生たちは前の副大統領であるAl Goreのドキュメンタリーの映画を見たが、それは不都合な真実だった。 The film inspired many students and teachers to go ecological sustainability. その映画は多くの学生や教師に環境上の持ちこたえる力を持っていこうという意欲をわかせた。 In the fall of 2006, the school embarked on a community-wide campaign and adopted a new mission: “To provide a healthy environment for students and staff while promoting ecological sustainability.” 2006年の秋に、その学校は地域社会キャンペーンを始め、「環境上の持ちこたえる力を成長させている間、学生や職員に健康的な環境を提供する」という新しいミッションを採用した。 ある程度は訳せていると思うのですが、エコ関連の単語の訳し方がどうしたらいいかいまいち分からなくてうまく訳せてない気がします。 もう1つの質問がこの文の続きとなっているので、 もし良かったらそちらのほうも教えていただけると非常に助かります。 どうかよろしくお願いします。

• 英語の文法チェックしてください、

The second story “Girl” was more interesting to me. The story is like family motto from her mother to girl. This story imply that girl’s mother really love her children with extravagance. I can find her mother’s love, worry and many more feeling to her daughter. I like this story because this story has more adorable feelings. I believe that “white elephant” is more difficult than “Girl”, because that story is mostly consisted of conversation between them, however, that conversation makes me confused. It is not clear for me. The girl was mad first time, but she easily come back to good mood the end of the story. I wanted to see the process how she came back to good mood. I believe that “Girl” is not a real story. I guess that this story is talking about future’s children. In my opinion, the girls’ mother wants to have a girl baby in her future, so she is talking about how her children want to grow up when she have a girl baby,

• 英語の長文問題(大学受験)

There are men who love out-of-doors who yet never open a book;and other men who love books but to whom the great book of nature is a sealed volume,and the lines written therein (1) made indistinct. Neveretheless among those men who I have known the love of books and the love of outdoors,in their highest expressions,have usually gone hand in hand.It is an affectation for the man who is praising outdoors to sneer at books.Usually the keenest appreciation of what is seen in nature is to be found in those who have also profited by the stored and recorded wisdom of their fellow men.Love of outdoor life,love of simple and hardy pastimes,can be gratified by men and women who do not possess large means,and who work hard;and so can love of good books (2)(3)-not of good bindings and of first editions, (4)(5)excelled enough in their way but sheer luxuries-I mean love of reading books,owning them if possible of course,but,if that is no possible,getting them from a circulating library. 出来れば全文和訳と(1)-(5)までに入る英語を一語埋めてください。 よろしくお願いします!!

• 和訳お願いします

I love her. She is sexy and beautiful. She looks like she's the kind of woman that feels a bit trapped by her beauty in such a way that it disallows her toughness to be taken so seriously. haha Awesome drawing.

• 和訳して頂けませんか?汗

Happiness is not something that happens. It is the result of good fortune or random chance. It is not something that money can buy or power command. It does not depend on outside events, but, rather, on how we interpret them. People who learn to control inner experience will be able to determine the quality of their lives, which is as close as any of us can come to being happy. Yet we cannot reach happiness by consciously searching for it. It is by being fully involved with every detail of our lives, whether good or bad, thatv we find happiness, not by trying to look for it directly. ========================== Thanks to reason, our status could - philosophers proposed - be settled according to an intellectual conscience, rather than being abandoned to the whims and emotions of the market square. And if rational examination revealed that we had been unfairly treated by the community, philosophers recommended that we be no more bothered by the judgment than we would be if we had been approached by a confused person bent on proving taht two and two amounted to five. この2つの文章を和訳して下さい。 よろしくお願いしますm(_ _)m汗

• 長文の全訳のチェックをしてほしいです。

入試の過去問の本文を全訳してみたのですが怪しいところがかなりあるのでチェックしてもらいたいです。 The year 2000 is bicentenary of Volta’s pile, the first source of continuous or current electricity. 2000年はボルタ電堆、つまり連続的もしくは流れている電気の最初の源の200年祭である。 From small beginnings, the applications for portable electrical power have mushroomed in recent years. 小さな始まりから、その持ち運びのできる電力の応用は近年急速に増えてきた。 Sixty years ago domestic uses for batteries were largely confined to flash lamps, radio sets and starter batteries for cars and motorcycles. 60年前、家庭用の電池は主としてストロボや、ラジオ受信機、車やオートバイのスターターバッテリーに制限されていた。 Modern households typically have 40-50, hidden away in all sorts of consumer products - from clocks and watches to personal CD players and mobile phones. 現代の掛け時計や腕時計からCDプレイヤーや携帯電話までのすべての種類の消費者製品。 Away from the home there are many other applications, particularly for large batteries. 家庭から離れたところにはたくさんの他のたくさんの、特に大きい電池の応用があります。 Examples include the standby batteries for emergency use in hospitals, hotels, department stores, telephone exchanges etc; traction batteries for electric vehicles (tugs, tractors, forklift trucks, wheelchairs, golf cars); batteries for solar panels or wind generators; defense batteries in armaments, missiles, submarines, torpedoes. 例えば、緊急の際の予備の電池として病院やホテルやデパートや電話交換機に使われていたり、電気自動車(tugs, トラクター、フォークリフト車、車椅子、ゴルフカー)のけん引用蓄電池として使われていたり、ソーラーパネルや風力発電機の電池、兵器、ミサイル、潜水艦、魚雷などのディフェンスバッテリーとして使われている。 Many of these applications demand a performance that is barely matched by traditional batteries - which explains the ever-present demand for new and better varieties. これらの応用の多くは伝統的な電池にかろうじて匹敵される性能を強く要求する。 英語が問題の本文で日本語は自分でつけた訳です。 全体的に解釈がおかしい気がして何か意味が分からなくなってしまいました。 どうかよろしくお願いします。

• 英語のチェックをお願いします

It is essential for us to memorize because we all depend on memories. For example, we improve playing the piano by keeping practice, which is a kind of memory. However, the lecture also said that forgetting is also important because all human beings have to remember a lot of thing every day, so we have to dump old memories. 私たちにとって記憶することは大事なことです。例えば毎日ピアノの練習をすることも一種の記憶です。しかし、レクチャーでは忘れることも大切だと教えてくれました。なぜなら人間は毎日たくさんのことを記憶しなければなりませんよって古い記憶は捨てる必要があるからです。 現在toeflを趣味で独学で勉強しています。しかし先生がいないので答えが分かりません。

• 長文です;  英訳していただけないでしょうか?

上司に告白され、好きな人がいるので、あなたとは友達でいたいと言った返事なのですが、 英語が得意ではなく、全部を訳せません。 訳していただけないでしょうか。 Hi ○○ That is OK for me if we will be friends and not more. But as your friend, I really need to tell you some things about what`s called the “Laws of Attraction” First of all, it does not require a lot of time to know if you are attracted to a person or not. After meeting two or three times, for several hours, that is more than enough time to know. So if you think of me like a friend, I expect that will never change. So in this case it would be me that has got ‘unrequited love`. But the difference is, I know it will probably never change, so I will accept it and not lose time, and I will not lose other chances, while hoping my ‘unrequited love` will change to ‘requited love’. I know a love feeling is very unlikely to arrive in the future, if it is not there from the beginning. So as your friend, I just want to caution you to be careful and don’t lose precious time and opportunities while waiting for something that is very unlikely to arrive. And as my friend, I hope you will understand that my idea for Friday was more like a date. Since it seems to be not reality, can I ask that we make our next meeting day Monday evening instead? That way we can spend with mikako, and Tom. Like a ‘friends meet-up’ which is the way you are comfortable. Then I can still have a chance to find a special Christmas feeling another way. As my friend I think you would understand and encourage this course of action. And as your friend, I want to encourage you, even if it is not me, you need to find your happiness without losing precious time and opportunities because of an ‘unrequited love`. Because life is short. And your young life is really short! There is no time to waste. Thanks and hope to see you Monday! with MIKAKO! Yours, ○○