西洋のカウボーイが使っていたマーカー

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 高校2年生の教科書の文章で、和訳ができず困っています。どなたかお助けください。
  • 西洋のカウボーイはポーカーで使うマーカーにナイフを用いていました。
  • 困っているのは、『sit out one hand』という表現の意味です。辞書にも載っていないため、解読が難しいです。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

和訳に困っています

高校2年生の教科書の文章ですが、和訳ができず困っています。 どなたか、ぜひよろしくお願いします 話の内容は 昔、西洋ではすべてのカウボーイがナイフを持っていたためポーカーで使うマーカーはナイフを用いていた。 その時代もっとも一般的だったナイフは鹿の角のナイフで、それはなぜならその柄の部分が牡鹿の角でできていたからだった。 この後の文章です Sometimes the person designated to deal the cards would want to leave the game or sit out one hand. sit out one hand の部分が訳せません。 どうぞ辞書にも出ておらず、困っています。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数5

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.1

sit out one hand 一勝負(の間)ゲームを外れる sit + (形容詞 or 副詞) = 「~の状態で座っている」 out = 「(ゲームから)外れて、(ゲームの)外に」 one hand = 「一勝負、一番」 http://dic.yahoo.co.jp/dsearch?enc=UTF-8&p=hand&stype=0&dtype=1 (10(3)のところをご覧ください)

yukky-v
質問者

お礼

とてもよくわかりました! 調べが足りず申し訳ありません。 本当にありがとうございました!!

関連するQ&A

• 英文和訳です!かなり困ってます!

アメリカ人と日本人の違いを述べている文章なのですが、この一文がよくわかりません。 If an American is on a couch, he will often sit sideways and let one arm lie along the back of it, with his hand hanging limply from the wrist. 和訳をお願いします。 これは床に手をついてくつろいでいる体勢を述べているのですか? よろしくお願いします!

• 和訳について

質問です。 私は英文を訳す最、語順がいまいち分からなくて困っているのですが・・・ 例えば、It was certainly possible for even a child to pick up this dog with one hand. を訳す場合、 解答には「子供でも(even a child)確実に(certainly)片手で(with one hand)この犬を(this dog )持ち上げる(pick up)ことが可能(possible)であった」と書いてあるのですが、英文を見てみると単語を訳す語順が「2(certainly)、6(possible)、1(even a child)、5(pick up),4(this dog )、3(with one hand)」となっていて何故この順番になるのか分かりません。長文読解などで、大意をつかむだけなら気にしなくてもいいと思うのですが、英文和訳の問題として単発で出てきた場合に、正確に訳す事ができなければならないので悩んでいます。自分にはどうしてもこの語順で訳さなければならないという事が、フィーリング意外に理由がわかりません。やはり、文章の大意をつかむ練習(大雑把に訳す)と英文和訳(正確に訳す)部分の訓練は別々にすべきですかね?英文和訳について これからどうしていけばいいか迷ってしまいます。それについてのアドバイスもできればよろしくお願いします。

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

I was playing a card game with a bunch of friends recently, and I was eliminated early and so started observing the hand and play of one of the friends sitting next to me—which was known to him (via my clear body language). During continued play, another player requested to pick a card from this friend’s hand (allowed by the rules) in an attempt to get a really valuable card. The expectation is that it is a blind pick (by rule) with the informal expectation (of card games everywhere though not explicitly written into the rules) that one would make available for picking, by fanning them out for display by your opponent, every card in your hand. The friend I was observing however arrayed his cards in the customary fashion with an exception: The most valuable card in his hand was held below the level of the arrayed “fan” so it was not visible for selection by his opponent. During continued play以下の和訳を長いですが、どうぞよろしくお願いします

• 和訳お願いします

元米軍人の方とメールする機会がありました。 終戦直後の1年間だけ日本に駐留していたそうで、現在の横須賀の写真を持っていたら 見たいと言われました。 しかし私は神奈川在住ではないため、ネットで拾った画像を送った所 以下のような返事をもらいました。 it has changed a great deal I would like to be stationed there if I was still a navy man.the train was not running then we had to take small craft boat to go to Tokyo on liberty.I will send pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it. ・当時とは全く変わってしまった ・自分がまだ軍人だったなら、横須賀に駐留したい ・当時電車が動いていなかった頃は、小型ボートに乗って東京に行かなければならなかった こんな感じで合っているでしょうか?添削お願い致します。 また「I will send pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it」の部分が良く分りません。 「方法を見つけ次第、写真を送ります」なのでしょうか? 何の方法を見つけるのか…。 ちなみに上記文章の前後には画像のお礼とこれからもよろしくね的な事が書いてありました。 全く的外れな解釈になっていたらご指摘ください。 よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳をお願いいたします

以下の英文を和訳していただけるかたのみで。 お願いできますでしょうか? 先ほどと同じ段落ですが、中間部分となりますので 内容が中途半端だと思います。 続きからと続きへといった感じですが、 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 Sometimes to those out of reach, who can see as far above you as a remote star in the distant universe, and yet are also flesh and blood. Such a love can seem utterly one sided to begin with, you idealize someone who has enchanted you. Someone who may be far above you but is not worthy, or who has many faults and shortcomings. You endure a lot and demand very little in return for the sake of love, because you love deeply, quietly and unconditionally. You suffer more for love, you sacrifice more, than others have to. You wait a long time in uncertainty.

• 和訳です。

英文の和訳をお願いします。 途中、並び替えがあります。 スペルには気をつけましたが、ミスがあったら指摘していただいて結構です。お願いします。  It is often said that the Japanese are shy or mysterious and that it is impossible to guess what they are thinking. In many cases, however, they may simply be trying to behave politely according to their own custums. Japanese people do have their own opinions, but they tend to wait their turn to speak out. If they completely disagree with somebody, they will usually listen with an air of acceptance at first, then disagree in a rather vague and roundabout way. This is considered the polite way to do things in Japan. On the other hand, because Western people consider directness and the honest expression of one's opinions more important, they tend to express their ideas more crearly. Even though quarrels sometimes take place, they do not usually affect people's relationships, except in extreme cases. In Japan, however, if you go against someone and create a bad atmosphere, your relations may break off completely. People tend to react emotionally, and most (afraid,are,being,excluded,from,of,the group).  Silence can be also be concidered a kind of ambiguity. Between the Japanese and Westerners, there is a different understanding of silence. For the Japanese, silence indicates deep thinking or consideration, but too much silence often makes non-Japanese uncomfortable. Whereas the Japanese consider silence as rather good and people generally feel sympathetic toward it, non-Japanese sometimes feel that it is an indication of indifference. Too many words, however, are a kind of pressure for many Japanese and make them nervous and ill-at-ease.  Aimai can result in misunderstandings, and people from other countries sometimes become irritated because the Japanese seem unable to answer “yes” or “no” directly. For example, if asked, “Which will you have, tea or coffee?” a Japanese person will often reply, “Either is OK.” This is a reserved and polite answer, but it often causes the host or hostess trouble. In fact, the word that Japanese most often have difficulty in using is“no” and their use of vague denials may lead to a great deal of friction and misunderstanding. To solve this problem, the Japanese need to become aware of their sense of ambiguity because many of them simply do not realize that it causes problems. With this awareness, they can try to express their opinions more clearly. On the other hand, non-Japanese should try to understand the Japanese mentality and the importance of the role that ambiguity plays in Japanese life. 以上になります。 あまり難しくないように思えましたが、長い文になると、意外と見落としている語があったり、訳していて、おそらく訳す順が変で、しっくり来ない部分があり、少し自信が無かったです。

• 和訳お願いします。

But after a while I begin to take brief glimpses,and at length I watch again with thirsty interest, like a child who tries to maintain his sulk when he is offered the bribe of candy. My parents are now having their picture taken in a photographer's booth along the boardwalk. The place is shadowed in the mauve light which is apparently necessary. The camera is set to the side on its tripod and looks like a Martian man. The photographer is instructing my parents in how to pose. My father has his arm over my mother's shoulder and both of them smile emphatically. The photographer brings my mother a bouquet of flowers to hold in her hand, but she holds it at the wrong angle. Then the photographer covers himself with the black cloth which drapes the camera and all that one sees of him is one protruding arm and his hand with which he holds tightly to the rubber ball which he squeezes when the picture is taken. But he is not satisfied with their appearance. He feels that sonehow there is something wrong in their pose. Again and again he comes out from his hiding place with new directions. Each suggestion merely makes matters worse. My father is becoming impatient.They try a seated pose.The photographer explains that he has his pride, he wants to make beautiful pictures, he is not merely interested in all of this for the money. My father says: "Hurry up, will you? We haven't got all night." But the photographer only scurries about apologetically, issuing new directions. The photographer charms me, and I approve of him with all my heart, for I know exactly how he feels, and as he criticizes each revised pose according to some obscure idea of rightness, I become quite hopeful. But then my father says angrily: "Come on, you've had enough time, we're not going to wait any longer." And the photographer, sighing unhappily, goes back into the black covering, and holds out his hand, saying: "One, two, three, Now!," and the picture is taken, with my father's smile turned to a grimace and my mother's bright and false. It takes a few minutes for the picture to be developed and as my parents sit in the curious light they become depressed.

• 和訳をお願いいたします

和訳をしていただけるかた のみで、お願いできますでしょうか? しばらく抽象的な文章がつづくと想像しますが どうぞよろしくお願いいたします He doesn't have a habitual couch. But sometimes he will give a small quiet false cough, when he wants to distract attention from something he's doing, or when he is embarrassed. This is just a mannerism. But when he needs to cough it’s a different cough, a violent convulsive cough, A dry harassing nervous rattling cough. Cough relived by sitting up straighter in the chair. Made worse in cold mornings. or comes on in a sudden steep change of air, For example going from warm to an icy cold, or cold to stiflingly warm,. a hard rattling cough., that is worse in the night air. His breathing and voice generally are relived by sitting up, so when he has much to say he sits up much straighter, or stand straighter than usual, when he gets into his stride. People listen when he speaks.. He doesn't use many hand gestures while talking, just the odd slow curving dismissive gesture of the hand, yet they are expressive hands. He makes, the odd knocking or thumping gesture to bring home a point of a flourish of the hand, like a magician producing something out of a hat.. But his hands are seldom idle, when at rest. Picks at his fingers as if he has something in his fingers when there is nothings there.

• ■英語の長文の和訳をお願いします。

One interesting difference between the American and Japanese cultures is in the area of tolerance and forgiveness. The Japanese will tolerate a great deal more than the average American without complaining.This is because it is rude to complain and fuss over little things in Japan.However,if something or someone irritates a Japanese,he will keep his anger down;but gradually,unless the provocation stops,the point is reached that in English we call 'the straw that breaks the camel's back,' meaning little things piled up one by one become a staggering load and finally one more becomes unbearable. When this happens the Japanese may or may not tell the person off or show anger,but he will probably break off the relationship for good. An American on the other hand very quickly becomes irritated by others and soon vents his anger when he deslikes what someone has done. But it does not mean very much and if he reacts too strongly the next day he may tell his friend,"Please forgive me," and according to American culture his friend should forgive him. The misunderstanding of this difference sometimes causes Americans to think of the Japanese as a bit insincere, as you can never tell how they really feel,and the Japanese think that Americans are a bit foolish because they are so frank. In reality it's just a difference in culture.

• 英文和訳の添削をお願いします。

英文の訳をしているのですが、文の構造があまりよく分からず上手く和訳が出来ないものがいくつかあるので、教えていただきたいです。 専門系の論文の文章なので、難しいかもしれませんが、分かる部分だけでも教えていただけると助かります。 1:the two resulting partitions of the instance set are then optimally matched, before the remaining instances, corresponding to cases of disagreement between both modalities, are finally processed. 「両方のモダリティの間で不一致となる、残りのインスタンスが最終的に処理される前に、インスタンスセットにおける2つの分割結果は最適に一致します。」 (日本語としてうまく繋げられていないです。) 2:Most of state-of-the-art systems rely on a two-step approach, performing first speaker turn detection followed by single-speaker segment clustering. 「単一話者のセグメントのクラスタリングに従って最初の話者のターン検出を行う、最先端のシステムのほとんどは、2段階のアプローチに依存しています。」 分詞構文の部分【, performing~clustering】は【Most of state-of-the-art systems】にかかっているとみて良いのでしょうか? 3:More recently, SD was extended to video streams, facing the critical issue of processing contents produced in uncontrolled and variable environments. 「より最近では、SDはビデオストリームに拡張されました。(そして)制御されていない、変化する環境において作られたコンテンツを処理するという重大な問題に直面しています。」 この文章の分詞構文の部分【, facing ~】は【and face ~】として訳してしまって良いのでしょうか? 4:On the other hand, movie dialogue scenes exhibit formal regularities at a visual level, with two alternating and recurring shots, each one corresponding to one of the two speakers involved. 【, with two~】はその前の文章(movie ~ visual level)のどの部分と関連しているのでしょうか? 5:We manually annotated three episodes of each series by indicating shot cuts, similar shots, speech segments as well as the corresponding speakers. 【as well as ~】はその直前のspeech segmentsのみにかかるのでしょうか? それとも、shot cuts と similar shots と speech segmentsのすべてにかかるのでしょうか? よろしくお願いします。