• ベストアンサー

built to withstand ....とあります

練習問題に  If the hotel had been built to withstand an earthquake , it would not have collapsed . とあります。で よく分らないのが  何故 buitl to withstand an ///で to があるのですか??   これは どうやくす toですか??   教えてください。。お願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数5

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

こんにちは。 まず、訳ですが、 「そのホテルは地震に耐えられるように建てられていたら、崩壊することは無 かったでしょう。」 となります。 toは不定詞です。いわゆる副詞的用法です。 built to withstand ~ は、 「~に耐えられるよう建築する。」となります。 また、前半の文は仮定法過去完了、かつ受動態の構文です。

lilychan
質問者

お礼

早速のお返事ありがとうございました。 この built to withstand ~ は ~に耐えられるよう建築するなのですね。  なるほど・  ありがとうございました。 また 教えてください!

その他の回答 (2)

noname#2733
noname#2733
回答No.3

ご質問にあるtoの意味ですが、 このtoは「ために」「目的として」と訳せばいかがでしょうか。 そのままですと変な日本語になりますが、 もしもそのホテルが地震に耐えられる為に建てられていたら、崩壊しなかった。 もしもそのホテルが地震に耐えられる事を目的として建てられていたら、崩壊しなかった。 これで意味がはっきりするわけなので、読みやすい日本語では、 もしもそのホテルが地震に耐えられるように建てられていたら、崩壊しなかった。 更に読みやすくすると、 耐震構造のホテルであったら、崩壊しなかった。 こんな感じでしょうか。

lilychan
質問者

お礼

早速のお返事ありがとうございました。 また教えてください!

回答No.2

アメリカに35年ほど住んでいる者です。 If it was built to withstand an earthquake.とは地震に耐えられるように作られていれば、と言う事です。 日本語的に書き直すと、If it was built to be able to withstand an earthquake.となります。 これは、仮定法を使われていますので(あれっ、G-的じゃないといっている人がいますね)、このホテルは壊れちゃったとい言う事ですね。 では、Gー的解釈です。 ホテルは壊れちゃったけど、壊れないように、初めからちゃんと作って置けばよかったのに、というフィーリングを出すために、If xxx had been xxxx, xxx would not have xxx.という言い方をして、If the hotel had been built,と読んだ時、既に、ホテルはそのようには作られていなかったと言う事が分かるわけで、後の It would not have collapsed はなくても、分かるのです、つまり、壊れなかったはず、と言う事は、始めの文章の部分で、もう予想がつく事なんですね。  ですから、使える英語としては、If the hotel had benn built to withstand an earthquake,と聞いただけで、次に来る文章は、逆に起こってしまったということが分かるわけです。 つまり、もし後の文が、 my girldfriend would not have died.であれば、作られなかったから、死んじゃった。となり、感情を表しているんですね。 死ぬはずはなかったというフィーリングを出したいのであれば(もっとも、これが普通の感情でしょうが)She would not have died (would not haveで、既に死んじゃったということがわかります)if ,,,,,.となります。 これでいいですか?

lilychan
質問者

お礼

早速のお返事ありがとうございました。 いつも丁寧にありがとうございます。

lilychan
質問者

補足

すいません いろいろ詳しく教えていただいたのですが 今回の質問はtoだったのですぅ。。  本当に恐縮ですがポイントはtoに関して教えていただいたカタにさせていただきました。  ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 教えてください。

次の空欄に入れるべき動詞の形を,選択肢から選びなさい。 If the weather were too hot or cold, plants ( ) grow.      (1)had to (2)won’t (3)would (4)would not I wished I ( ) a millionaire.      (1)am (2)have been (3)had been (4)were He ( ) if I didn’t stop him.      (1)smokes (2)will smoke (3)would have smoked (4)would smoke The castle looked as if it ( ) built in the Middle Ages.      (1)has (2)has been (3)had been (4)was If it ( ) fine, we’ll go to the park.      (1)is (2)was (3)were (4)will be Don’t tell me to be quiet. You ( ) quiet.      (1)are (2)be (3)had been (4)were He worked very hard, otherwise he ( ).      (1)would fail (2)would not fail (3)would not have failed (4)would have failed I don’t think it will happen; but if it ( ), what shall we do?      (1)had (2)should (3)were (4)will We insist that the committee ( ) its decisions.      (1)reconsider (2)will reconsiders (3)will reconsidered (4)will have reconsider Just suppose everyone ( ) to act like you.      (1)should (2)were (3)will (4)would

• 和訳

(1)If it had not been for her advice,I would not have started to learn the piano. (2)I wish I had not said that stupid thing to her. 上の2つの和訳をお願いします。

• 和訳お願いします

/It would have taken twice as long if somebody had had to walk out. /We'd have still been on the mountain if it hadn't been for the cellphone.

• 英語

1:If you were to fall from that bridge,it() almost impossible to rescue you. (1)is (2)was (3)would be (4)would have been 2:He would have become a great marathon runner, if it() for his knee problem. (1)was not (2)had not been (3)has not been (4)would not have been 3:Thank you for the kind help you extended to me the other day. I () alone. (1)can't manage (2)can't have managed (3)couldn't manage (4)couldn't have managed 4:I () happy to see him,but I didn't have time. (1)will have been (2)would be (3)will be (4)would have been 5:They got two free tickets to Canada;() they'd never have been able to afford to go. (1)rather (2)but (3)however (4)otherwise 解答と訳をお願いします

• わからない英文があります

"An ordinary beginning, something that would have been forgotten had it been anyone but her." -would have been forgotten had it been anyone but her の使い回しがよくわからないので、説明できる方いたら教えて下さい。

• would like to= want to の丁寧な表現、として捉え

would like to= want to の丁寧な表現、として捉えてよいと教えられてきましたが、ふと疑問に思ったことがあります。 would like toは仮定法過去の表現なので、これを発言している時は現在ですよね? では過去の時の表現はどうすればいいのでしょうか。 例えば、 I wanted to attend the meeting. を目上の人に対して言いたいとき、 If it had not rained, I could[would][might] have played baseball.のごとく、 would have liked to にしたりするのでしょうか? 自分で考えても解決できなかったので、どうか力を貸して頂きたいです。

• 仮定法 wouldとcouldの使い分け

仮定法でwouldとcouldをどのように使い分けたらよいのか教えてください? If it had been fine yesterday, we would have played tennis. If it had been fine yesterday, we could have played tennis. 例えばこの2つ文に何か違いがあるのでしょうか。

• 英語ができる方、問題をお願いします。

英文中の空所に入る適切な語、または語句を選択肢から選びなさい。またその英文を訳しなさい。 1. It's started raining. If it ( ) raining, we could go on a picnic. (1)is (2)isn't (3)was (4)weren't 2. If the weather were too hot or too cold, plants ( ) grow. (1)could (2)would not (3)had to (4)won't 3. We would have gone to see the movie last night of we ( ) it was so funny. (1)know (2)would know (3)had known (4)could know 4. If I had known about the good news earlier, I ( ) to congratulate you. (1)would call (2)must have called (3)would have called (4)should call 5. If my son had taken my advice, he ( ) successful now. (1)is (2)was (3)would be (4)would have been 6. I wish I ( ) back the clock and do it all over again. (1)can turn (2)could tuen (3)had turned (4)have turned 7. I wish ( ) much more when I was young. (1)study (2)studied (3)have studied (4)had studied 8. If ( ) he had told her the truth. (1)timely (2)only (3)plainry (4)suddenly 9. It's time Bill ( ) home. (1)go (2)will go (3)goes (4)went 10. ( ) his idleness, he would be a nice fellow. (1)If he would be (2)If he were not (3)If it were not for (4)If it was 11. ( ) for the examination, I could have gone shopping with my friends. (1)Without (2)If (3)But (4)With 12. ( ) for your support, we wouldn't be here. (1)Not were it (2)It were not (3)Were not it (4)Were it not 13. ( ) I known more about the man, I would have gone shopping with my friends. (1)If (2)As (3)Were (4)Had 14. ( ) anything happen to you, you can always call me on my mobile phone. (1)If (2)Should (3)Unless (4)Would 15. ( ) your help, we would have failed. (1)Were it not been for (2)Had it not been for (3)If it had been for (4)Without being 同じ意味になるように空所に適切な語を入れなさい。また、(a)の文を訳しなさい。 1. (a) Because of the storm, I couldn't arrive earlier. (b) If ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) for the storm, I couldn't arrive earlier. 2. (a) If he had helped us, we could have succeeded. (b) ( ) his help, we could have succeeded. 3. (a) If you heard him talk, you would think that he was a new student. (b) ( ) ( ) him talk, you would think that he was a new student. 4. (a) If he the university students had not started at once, they would have missed the train bound for Tokyo. (b) The university students started at once; ( ) they would have missed the train bound for Tokyo. 以上です。 お手数をおかけしますが、どうかよろしくお願いいたします。 ミスなどがありましたらお知らせください。

• 1、仮定法過去 2、仮定法過去完了 3、1と2が合わさった文

はじめまして仮定法でつまずいてます。 1、仮定法過去は(~だったら・・・なのにね) If it weren't raining, we could play football. 雨が降ってなかったら、サッカーできたのにね。 2、仮定法過去完了(~だったら・・・だったのに) If I had known you were free, I would have asked you to come with us. あなたが暇だって知ってたら、一緒に行こうって誘ってたのに 3、1と2が合わさった文 If we had left an hour earlier,we would be at the hotel. 1時間前に出発していれば、今頃ホテルにいたのに。 質問です 1,2の違いがわかりません 2の文はIf I knew you were free,I would ask you to come with us. としてはいけないのですか?そうしたら何か変ってしまいますか? 3の文を If we left an hour earlier,we would have been at the hotel. の文にしてはだめですか? よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の和訳をお願いします。

申し訳ありませんが、お願いします。 There are soms things that I would not have done , and some things that I have failed to do that I would do. One of the things that I would have done if I had known the importance of it would have been to go to college.