• ベストアンサー

英文の1センテンスとは?

In a famous story by Edgar Allan Poe,Detective Dupin says:“We make chance a matter of absolute calculation. We subject the unlooked for and unimagined to the mathematical formulae of the schools.” 例えば上のような文章で、探偵Dupinの言葉を引用したセンテンスを2つ和訳しなさいという問題が出た場合、該当箇所は“”の中身なのですが、 はじめのセンテンスは “We~” からと考えるのか、 一番はじめの In a famous~ からと考えるのかがわかりません。 英文のセンテンスはピリオドからピリオドまでだと思っていたのですが、解答では“We~”からがはじめのセンテンスとなっていました。 この場合上の英文は3センテンスからなっているのか、それとも、問題が 「探偵Dupinの言葉を引用したセンテンスを」 ではなく 「探偵Dupinの言葉を含むセンテンスを」 となっていれば In a famous~ から訳せばよいのか、そなへんがいまいちわかりません。 意図が読み取りにくいかもしれませんが、よければ回答よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

こんにちは 「探偵Dupinの言葉を引用したセンテンスを2つ和訳しなさい」という問題なら やはり「引用」なので、ダブルクォーテーションの中になると思います。 quotation自体が「引用」なので・・・。 「探偵Dupinの言葉を含むセンテンスを訳しなさい」であれば 仰るとおり、文頭からだと思います。 英文の1センテンスという観点から見れば、主節は Detective Dupin saysになります。 間接話法に直せば、一文しかないということになりますが・・・。厳密な分類は複文ということになります。 In a famous story by Edgar Allan Poe,Detective Dupin says that we make chance a matter of absolute calculation and that we subject the unlooked for and unimagined to the mathematical formulae of the schools. が間接話法だと思われます。sayが2つのthat節を伴います。 「引用して」と求められると、 やはり言葉に出して述べられる内容である、 say以下の文章の部分になると思います。 whitedog_7さんの疑問に答えられているかわかりませんが・・・。

whitedog_7
質問者

お礼

詳しい回答ありがとうございます。 問題文にもよるみたいですね~。 参考になりました、ありがとうございます。

その他の回答 (2)

• robotone
  • ベストアンサー率33% (2/6)
回答No.3

本当に上記のような設問だったら、「引用したセンテンス」という言葉の使い方が紛らわしいですね。引用文だけなのか、引用したものを含めた文なのか。ここでは「引用されているDupinの言葉」とした方がわかりやすいはずです。 ただ、質問の言葉遣いの問題は置いておいて、出題の意図を汲むのであれば、前の方もおっしゃっているように明らかにダブルコーテーションの中でしょう。全体を訳すのであれば、「この個所を訳しなさい」で済むわけですからね。

whitedog_7
質問者

お礼

設問は上記そのままでした。 問題の意図を読み取るように心がけるようにします。 回答ありがとうございました。

• teuu
  • ベストアンサー率26% (116/443)
回答No.1

引用という日本語の意味わかっていますか? 簡単に訳してみましょう。 エドガーアランポーの有名な小説において、 探偵Dupinはこう言った: 「~~~。 ~~~~。」 [問題] 探偵Dupinの言葉を引用したセンテンスを訳しなさい。 これならわかりますでしょうか? 探偵Dupinの言葉ってどれですか?

whitedog_7
質問者

お礼

Dupinの言葉は「」の中ですねぇ。 引用っていう言葉の意味をよく考えてなかったみたいです。 参考になりました、ありがとうございます。

関連するQ&A

• 英文の添削

英文を作りました。 間違っているところなどありましたら教えてください。 I made a mistake in English sentence. Mistake is a way to grow. Mame,come here,and you will eat a piece of cheese. We had snack together in my room. です。 Mameは飼っている猫の名前です。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文について質問があります

以下の英文を読んだ上で私の質問に答えてください。 In winter,we have a lot of snow in Nigata (新潟では冬に雪が多い) 質問1:この英文、Nigataを主語にできますか? 例えば、in winter, Nigata is a number of snowとかin winter it is a number of snow in Nigataとか 質問2:Weは漠然とした一般の人々を表す用法で、主語を置かないと英文として成立せず且つhaveが使われているため、人称代名詞Weを置いてるということですか?

• 4センテンス英文を教えてください。英文メールより

4センテンス、英文を教えてください。もしくは英文チェックしていただけませんか。 ご覧いただきまして、有難うございます。 下記の英文を教えてください。もしくは英文をチェックしていただけませんか。 (自分では下記のように考えてみましたが、私の文章に関わらず、自然で正しい英文が知りたいです。) 1. 彼らは赤ちゃんに●●ナと名付けました。 They named their baby ●●na. 2. 彼らはあなたの名前のように最後が‘な’で終わる女の子の名前はキュートだと思ったからです。 It's because they think a girls' name which has the sound of 'Na' at the end of the name like yours is cute. 3. また、彼らは、この名前は、外国人にも覚え易く、言い易い名前だと思ったからです。 And then, they think it's easy for foreigners to remember and pronounce the name. 4. 彼らは赤ちゃんに世界中に友達が出来る事を願っています。 They want the baby to have friends all over the world. どうぞ宜しくお願い致します。

• 英文和訳をお願いします

In Fig. 2, we show the particular set of parameters that determines a period two-cycle, actually, with k= 0.22. Further growth ofkleads the attractor to follow a typical route of flip bifurcations in complex price dynamics: a sequence of flip bifurcations generate a sequence of attracting cycles in period 2^n , which are followed by the creation of a chaotic attractor. In Fig. 3, a cycle of period four is shown. 独占企業における経済動学の文章です。どなたかお願いしますm(__)m

• 英文の要約とトピックセンテンス

日本語の文章構成では「起承転結」がよくありますが、 ある主張を述べる英文エッセイやショートスピーチでは、 通常、結論(自分の主張)を述べてから、 その理由を2~3述べて、 それぞれの理由に具体例を付けて、 最後に、再度、冒頭の結論を 別な表現で念押ししておく、 というパターンが一般的かと思います。 ですから、英文を要約する場合も、 まず、筆者の主張のポイント(結論)を見つけて、 その理由を拾い上げれば、 大体の骨組みはできて、 それほど、的外れな要約にはならないとはずです。 以下の英文ですが、 読解力不足のせいかと思いますが、 どうも、筆書の主張がどこにあるのか、 よくわかりません。 この英文エッセイで筆者は結局、 何を言いたかったのでしょうか? A Biology of Mental Disorder By Eric Kandel http://www.newsweek.com/id/204320 Understanding the biology of mental illness would be a paradigm shift in our thinking about mind. It would not only inform us about some of the most devastating diseases of humankind but, because these are diseases of thought and feeling, it would also tell us more about who we are and how we function. I naively thought we were on the verge of such a paradigm change in 1983, when James Gusella and Nancy Wexler were tracking down the gene that causes Huntington's disease. I expected that within 10 years we would have found the major genes that contribute to schizophrenia, depression, and autism. Since then, there has been a lot of enthusiasm about genes and mental illness and some false starts, but surprisingly little progress. ~途中略~ Taken together, these advances could open up new approaches to the treatment of depression, bipolar disorders, and schizophrenia, areas that have been at a pharmacological standstill for decades. Along the way we may also learn something about who we are. どなたか、わかりやすいご解説を添えて、 英文で日本文でも結構ですので、 要約して頂ければ幸いです。

• Sentence Combining

いくつかの短いセンテンスを1つのセンテンスでコンパクトにまとめる練習をしているのですが、分からないところがあるので、教えてください。 ☆←短いセンテンス   ★←私が1文にしたセンテンス です ※←私が疑問に思っている点です ☆People used spices in place of money. It was convenient. That was because they were small. They were also not as heavy as metal coins. ★It was convenient for people to have used spices in place of money because they were not only small but also not as heavy as metal coins. ※they were not only small but also not as heavy as metal coinsのところで、and でつなぐ文は前後が同じ形になっていないといけないということをきいたのですが、どうしたら同じ形にできますか? ★Tamura Eiko is my aunt. She is an interesting person. She was born in Taiwan. She went to school in New York. Now she lives in Russia. ☆My aunt,Eiko Tamura is an interesting person, who was born in Taiwan and went to school in New York is now lives in Russsia. ※コンマ のつけ方はあっていますか? ★The culture festival is an important event. It is the most important event in our school life. Many students spend more than six months for this event. For more than six months, they prepare for this event. ☆The culture festival for which many students spent more than six months to prepare is the most important event in our school life. ※これであっているでしょうか? ★A Tv station carried out a survey recently. The result was this. Japanese high school students study more than their American counterparts. Also, they do not sleep as long as their American counterparts. ☆According to the survey which was carried out by a TV station recently, Japanese students study more and less sleep than their American counterparts. ※recentlyの位置、less Sleepという表現はあっていますか? ★My hometown is Maebashi. It is in Gumma. It is located about 100 km northwest of Tokyo. It is a beautiful city. It has a population of 300,000. ☆My hometown, Maebashi in Gumma is beautiful city which is located about 100 km northwest of Tokyo has a population of 3oo,ooo. ※この文章でいいでしょうか? ★Sendai has a lot of turist spots. The most famous one is Aoba Castle. The castle was built by Date Masamune. ☆Sendai has a lot of turist spots. The most famous one is Aoba Castle which is built by Date Masamune. ※どうしても2文になってしまうのですが、どうしたら1文にすっきりまとめられるでしょうか? とても長い質問ですみません…。

• 以下の英文をどなたか日本語に訳してください。

以下の英文をどなたか日本語に訳してください。 10 hundred thousands equal one million. We write the number one million in degits as 1000000. A group of three digits is called a period, the next three digits are the thousands' period, and the next three digits are the millions' period. Each period is separated by a comma. In each period,the pattern of ones, tens, and hundreds repeats itself. Beginning at the right, the valeus of the places are: ones, tens, hundreds; thousands, ten thousands, hundred thousands; millions, ten millions, hundred millions. Each place has a value 10 times greater than the place to its right. This system of writing number is called the decimal sys-tem. [Demical] means having to do with ten. In the decimal system, the place values are based on group of 10. You've already been learning how this works, but let's review the basic ideas. In the demical system,whenever we have 10 of a certain place value, we write it as 1 in the next highest place value.

• どうすればいいのか分からない英文メール

最近毎日何通も英文メールが入ってきます。 差出人のメールアドレスは全て異なりますが、内容はほぼ同じようです。 プログラマーの募集のようなのですが、英文なので理解できません。 無視しているのですが、いつまでも続きそうなので困っています。 下記英文メールにどのような対応をすればいいのか教えてください。 Hi. Answer my messages right away. I've written to you several times. We offer you to become a representative of our firm in your city. If you are looking for a new job, email us right away. Don't miss your chance. We offer test period lasting for (20 days). After training period, you can either reject cooperation or sign a long-term treaty. Salary is from 16,000 Dollars per month + commission. In a year of our cooperation we guarantee that you will get 3.200.000 YEN per month. During preparatory period, you will earn no less than 1.200.000 YEN. If you are a smart and energetic person, write to me quickly. I will send a detailed description of our partnership and email further directions: (返信用アドレス)@yahoo.co.jp

• 英文和訳をお願いします。

To clarify the dynamics depending on k, we have reported a bifurcation diagram in Fig. 4. It shows different values of quantity for different values of k, particularly between 0.15 and 0.29. It is easily illustrated that we move from stability through a sequence of a period doubling bifurcations to chaos.

• 3センテンス、添削してくださいませんか?

お世話になります。 3センテンス、添削してくださいませんか? 宜しくお願い致します。 1. 冬の朝、ベッドから出るのは難しい。(冬の朝はin the winter morningで良いでしょうか?) It is difficult for me to get out of the bet in the winter morning. 2. この時期をあと数カ月我慢しなければなりません。 I have to be patience in this season a couple of months more. 3. でも、クリスマスシーズンは私の心を温かくしてくれます。 But Christmas season makes my heart warm. どうぞ宜しくお願い致します。