• ベストアンサー

セミコロン

lovely_dayの回答

• ベストアンサー
回答No.4

Huxley の原文を調べたところ、全文は次のようになっていました。koke0610 さんのご質問も、hitomura さんのご指摘も鋭かったと思います。 I cannot but think that the foundations of all natural knowledge were laid when the reason of man first came face to face with the facts of Nature; when the savage first learned that the fingers of one hand are fewer than those of both; that it is shorter to cross a stream than to head it; that a stone stops where it is unless it be moved, and that it drops from the hand which lets it go; that light and heat come and go with the sun; that sticks burn away in a fire; that plants and animals grow and die; that if he struck his fellow savage a blow he would make him angry, and perhaps get a blow in return, while if he offered him a fruit he would please him, and perhaps receive a fish in exchange.

koke0610
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました! おかげでとてもすっきりしました。 現文だと何の疑問もなく読めます。 やはり参考書作成段階でちぎられてしまって,多少不自然になってしまったのですね。 わざわざ調べていただき,本当にありがとうございます。

関連するQ&A

• この英訳は”馬から落馬”的ではないのでしょうか?

中野幾雄著「技術英語攻略法」 (株)工業調査会 発行 のp226次の英作文例があります。 和文: 潤滑剤をチェックする。 いろいろな種類の不純物は,少量の潤滑剤を指でこすれば,通常,感じでわかる。 光にかざして検査するのに,手の甲に薄く伸ばしてもよい。 訳例: Check the lubricant. Various kinds of impurities can be usually felt by rubbing a little of it between the fingers. A thin layer may be spread on the back of the hand for inspection against the light. 質問: 「手の甲に薄く伸ばしてもよい。」・・・の訳を” A thin layer may be spread”と訳されています。 私にはどうも“馬から落馬する”的な英語に感じるのですが,皆様のご意見お聞かせ下さい。 私の訳文は次の通りです。 宜しければ評価をお願いします。 For the examination of the lubricant agent, several kinds of impurities normally can be felt by rubbing a small amount of it by the fingers. When it is inspected by holding up it to the light, it can be spread on the back of the hand. また”For the examination of the lubricant agent” とofの前後の名詞両方にtheを付けました。 lubricant agentのtheは,“ここにある潤滑剤”と言うことでtheを付けましたが,the examinationに付いては,以下に具体的な検査の方法を述べているのでtheを付けました。 この理解はおかしいでしょうか? よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳お願い致します。

In actual research these three objects are prosecuted, not successively, but simultaneously. Thus it is not necessary in either case that the final object — that of classification- should wait for its commencement upon the completion of the dissection or analysis of every organism or every mental structure that is to be found upon the earth. On the con trary, the comparison in each case begins with the facts that are first found to be comparable, and is afterwards pro gressively extended as knowledge of additional facts becomes more extensive. * The word " structure " is used in a metaphorical sense when applied to mind, but the usage it convenient.

• 和訳お願いします

Maria Reiche made many flights by plane and helicopter, taking photographs of the many lines and figures on the pampa. She was especially drawn to the image of the monkey, but when she enlarged the photos she had taken, she was amazed to see that one hand had only four fingers. . . just like her. When she first came to Peru, one finger was amputated after it developed gangrene from a cactus infection. She then learned that Peruvian ancestors believed that this was a mark from the God of Thunder, which gave special power to communicate with the gods. amputate;(外科手術などで)手足を切断する gangrene;壊疽(えそ) cactus;サボテン

• セミコロンの意味、使い方

こんにちわ☆ この前図書館でAnne Morrow Lindberghの『Gift from the sea』と言う本を借りてきて読み始めたところです。 で、いきなり冒頭部分で、?、と思ってしまいました。引用が長くなって恐縮ですが、一行目の...to work; to read,...のところでセミコロンが使われています。最初読んだときに「海岸は働くべき場所ではない、”しかし”ものを読んだり、書いたり、思考をめぐらすにはよい場所」という風に理解しそうになりました。でもToo warm,...以下の文章を読むとそれは違うな、って分かりました。 The beach is not the place to work; to read, write or think. I should have remembered that from other years. Too warm, too damp, too soft for any real mental discipline or sharp flights of spirit. One never learns. Hopefully, one carries down the faded straw bag, lumpy with books, clean paper, long over-due unanswered letters, freshly sharpened pencils, lists and good intentions. The books remain unread, the pencils break their points and the pads rest smooth and unblemished as the cloudless sky. No reading, no writing, no thoughts even―at least, not at first. 調べてみたところ、セミコロンの意味は下記の3つあることが分かりました。 1.接続副詞の代わりに等位な2つの文章をつなぐ 2.接続副詞を使いながら2つの文章をつなぐ 3.事項を並べる この場合は3.の事項を並べる、に該当するようです。ただ、それなら単純にコンマでつなぐのとどう違うのかが分かりません。後の文章でも「事項を並べ」ている部分が続いていますが、それらはすべてコンマでつながれています。もしかしてこの作家特有の使い方なのかもしれませんが、一般論としてコンマではなくセミコロンを使う、というのはどのような意図があってのことなのでしょうか。

• このthatの文法的な役割を教えて下さい。

このthatの文法的な役割を教えて下さい。 There's nothing to say that when the rain stops it all still won't be there. (雨がやんだ時には、そこに何も残ってないから、言うことは何も無い。) 訳はこんな感じなんですが、thatが等位接続詞みたいで...

• 和訳お願い致します。

Now assuredly we have here a most important issue, and as it is one the discussion of which will constitute a large element of my work, it is perhaps desirable that I should state at the outset the manner in which I propose to deal with it . The question, then, as to whether or not human intelli gence has been evolved from animal intelligence can only be dealt with scientifically by comparing the one with the other, in order to ascertain the points wherein they agree and the points wherein they differ. Now there can be no doubt that when this is done, the difference between the mental faculties of the most intelligent animal and the mental faculties of the lowest savage[savage=wild beast] is seen to be so vast, that the hypothesis of their being so nearly allied as Mr. Darwin's teaching implies, appears at first sight absurd. And, indeed, it is not until we have become convinced that the theory of Evolution can alone afford an explanation of the facts of human anatomy that we are prepared to seek for a similar explanation of the facts of human psychology. But wide as is the difference between the mind of a man and the mind of a brute, we must remember that the question is one, not as to degree, but as to kind ; and therefore that our task, as serious enquirers after truth, is calmly and honestly to examine the character of the difference which is presented, in order to determine whether it is really beyond the bounds of rational credibility that the enormous interval which now separates these two divisions of mind can ever have been bridged over, by numberless inter mediate gradations, during the untold ages of the past.

• 英文の日本語訳お願いします!

Basic survival demanded that the hands were almost never still, and so it was only during sleep (and sometimes not even then) that people were not saying something or other. No distinction was made between the gestures of language and the gestures of life. The labor of building a house, say, or preparing a meal was no less an expression than making the sign for I love you or I feel serious. When a hand was used to shield one’s face when frightened by a loud noise something was being said, and when fingers were used to pick up what someone else had dropped something was being said; and even when the hands were at rest, that, too, was saying something. おねがいします。

• Only later was it について

When the company relesed the first edition of toys, it was limited to 10,000 people - but they received 135,000 application. Only later was it proven, though, that.... で、Only later was it proven ではなく、Only later it was provenとなるのが普通だと思うのですが、なぜ、wasが先行してくるのでしょうか? お手数ですがご教授頂ければ幸いでございます。

• わからない英文があります

"Ponytail courtesy of having used this awful new Garnier conditioner that turned my hair into what felt like a superglued mass affixed to my head. This ended up being depressing when my fingers kept getting stuck or my hair tosses abbreviated so I braided it upwards and pulled it back in defeat. " -superglued mass -my fingers kept getting stuck -my hair toses abbreviated の意味を教えてください。

• 和訳お願い致します。

The diffculties and disputes which attended the first revival of science have recurred in the present century in consequence of the growth of geology. It is in truth only the old question over again-precisely the same point of theology which is involved, although the difficulties which present themselves are fresh. The school books of the present day, while they teach the child that the earth moves, yet [they] assure him that it is a little less than six thousand years old and that it was made in six days. On the other hand, geologists of all religious creeds are agreed that the earth has existed for an immense series of years-to be [to be=it should be] counted by millions rather than by thousands:and that indubitably more than six days elapsed from its first creation to the appearance of man upon its surface. By this broad discrepancy between old and doctrine is the modern mind startled, as were the men of the sixteenth century [startled] when [they were] told that the earth moved.