• ベストアンサー

get on one's high horse ってどう意味ですか?

She really got on her high horse some days ago and complained about his bad behavior.という英文ですが,got on her high horseの意味が分かりません。前後から,「彼女は先日本当に思い切って,彼の悪い行いに文句を言いました」くらいかと思うのですが。 分かる方,教えてください。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • tadaoyagi
  • ベストアンサー率26% (86/322)
回答No.3

ALCの辞書より…   検索文字列 : get on one's high horse 該当件数 : 1 get on one's high horse ごう慢な態度{たいど}を取る、威張る◆昔、貴族たちが背の高い馬に乗っていたことに由来する表現で、高飛車に出たり、自分の地位を誇示することで、周りの人々からの尊敬を無理やり得ようとする態度を表すのに使われる。get on を get off にすると「威張るのをやめる、友好的になる」という意味になる。 ・ Nancy got on her high horse and accused me of having devious tactics. ナンシーはごう慢な態度で、私がずるい戦略を取っていると非難した。

maabo50
質問者

お礼

ていねいな回答ありがとうございました。疑問が解けてすっきりしました。

その他の回答 (2)

回答No.2

on one's high horse で「傲慢な,高飛車な」という意味ですが,ここでは,一時的な感情を表していて「本当に腹が立って」のような意味だと思います。

• MASA51
  • ベストアンサー率43% (78/181)
回答No.1

「get on one's high horse」で、「いばりくさる」という意味です。 よって、 「彼女は実際、数日前に威張り腐った顔で、彼のふざけた態度に文句を露わにした。」 が日本語訳だとおもいます。

関連するQ&A

• that's on herの意味

She is under the false pretense many women tend to slip into where they think they can be the one to change a person. You can never change someone. Especially some sociopathic, abusive nutjob who she’s seen be a sociopathic nutjob. If she wants to date him, despite knowing all of these things about him...that's on her. that's on herの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 意味を教えてください

(母親が子に甘いという文脈)His mother is sweet to a fault: She won’t raise her voice, she won’t punish or curtail bad behavior, and everything he does is a positive. Lately, however, I think he’s becoming too much for her. I get texts all day about his bad behavior breaking her down. When I say I hope he’s being made to experiences consequences, I get a desperate “How?!”’ or explanations that it’s too hard for her to do alone. I feel like as a new boyfriend it isn’t my place to be the disciplinarian, so unfortunately I sit by and watch him run rampant over her on a daily basis. he’s being made to experiences consequencesとrun rampant over her の意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 英語の質問です!

Fred thought he was a very clever man, and he was particularly proud of his skill in mathematics, ュ「but as often happens with people who have perhaps too high an opinion of themselves, he was impatient, and seldom listened to what others were saying. ュ」He was particularly bad about listening to his wife, and she often complained bitterly about this. お願いします!!

• 英語のわかる方、翻訳をお願いいたします。

インタビュー記事です。 The cameras follow her from New York to Los Angeles, and she admits her lifestyle means she doesn't see her 14-year-old son as often as she'd like. ‘I'm a f**king renaissance woman!’ she declares at one point. Jodie has said in the past about her bold style: 'I got a lot of grief about two years ago for my faux-hawk. People were making fun of it on comedy shows. 'But I don’t like to walk with the pack anyway, so of course they are going to make fun of me. I don’t care. 'Anybody really creative is going to end up on those lists.' よろしくお願いいたします。

• なぜ進行形ではないか

Two years ago I moved to a beautiful suburb where there is no social life for someone under 40 without kids. I’ve mostly counted on my friends online. My best friend had also been living somewhere where she didn’t have a big social life, and we were both fairly depressed. I felt we were really close, and we talked almost every day online and a couple of times a month on the phone. A month ago she moved to New York City, where she now lives with an old friend and has many other friends nearby. She got a pet she loves and is doing really well in her field, and her depression is improving. I’m really happy for her. But she hasn’t spontaneously contacted me since she moved. I messaged her once, and her replies were monosyllabic. She hasn’t really engaged with me on social media, although she’s been more active than ever. I miss her, and I feel incredibly alone and depressed. I’ve cried for days about this. Our mutual friend thinks she’s just busy, but I suspect she doesn’t have room for me in her life anymore. I tried to be a supportive friend through all her rough times, but she’s basically gone from my life. How do I get over the hurt? Am I just jealous? 最後のところは「今まさにそのような状態」なのでAm I just being jealous?とはならないのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• talked right over us

My husband's sister came to visit us recently. From the minute she came in the door, she talked, nonstop, for an hour and 45 minutes. She talked about her life, complained about her husband, talked about her adult children and on and on. She never once asked how we were or what we were up to. The few times my husband or I tried to talk, she talked right over us. she talked right over usはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 彼女は相変わらずだな・・

お願いします 以下日本語を英語にした場合正しいでしょうか 彼女は相変わらず自分の責任に対して文句を言っている She is as complained about her responsibility as ever. よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I've been married for four years. My husband is a good man. He's really good to me, but lately it feels like our marriage is in a rut. We don't have any children, so I feel that some our attention should be focused on "us," but he stays on his computer all day, and when he's not on his computer, he's got his nose in his phone. I'm all about letting him have his "you time," so I let him do his own thing, and I go and do my own things, but I would still like some "us" time every now and again. he's got his nose inはhe's caught up inと同意でしょぅか?あと、I'm all about はどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• S+V+名詞+形容詞で使役の意味を示せるのはmakeだけとの解説は正しいですか?

書き換え問題で、He got very angy, for she refused his request. =Her ( ) of his request ( ) him very angry. テキストの解答は、refusal とmadeでした。解説では動詞のあとがhim angryという「代名詞+形容詞」がポイント。この語順をいかして「使役」の意味を示せるのはmakeしかないので答えがきまるとありました。 わたしは、Her refusal of his request got him very angry.でも、正解だと思いいますが、いかがでしょうか? get とmake でニュアンスは多少違うと思いますが、getもある状態にするということでget a person madなどという表現はよく使うと思います。使役という言葉の定義もいろいろとあると思いますが、この問題でgotは正解か不正解か、そして、(S+V+名詞+形容詞)で使役の意味を表せるのはmakeだけとの解説は正しいのかを教えてください。

• 意味を教えてください

My friend died 13 years ago, leaving his wife $1 million in life insurance. Since then, she has lived a high lifestyle. She bought two high-end cars, put in a spa that she keeps heated 24/7 “just in case” she feels like using it, remodeled her kitchen as a way to employ a boyfriend, and buys pot and booze for all her hanger-on friends. put in a spaとbuys pot and booze for all her hanger-on friendsの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします