• ベストアンサー

「頭一個分の身長差」を英語で

こんにちは。 「彼と彼女には頭一個分の身長差があるはずなのに」という文章を作りたいのですが、「頭一個分」が上手く英語に置き換えられなくて困っています。 一応「あるはず」は"There has to be..."で、「彼と彼女の間の差」は"between him and her"にしようかとは思っていますが…。 どう表現したらいいのかご存知の方、ぜひ教えてください。

• easuf
  • お礼率96% (2316/2407)
  • 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

差をあらわすのは前置詞のbyを使います。 thanの後は主格が基本ですが、目的格がよく使われます。 He must be taller than she/her by a head. 彼は彼女よりも頭ひとつ高いはずだ。 →彼と彼女には頭一個分の身長差があるはず。

easuf
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 私の英語、まったくめちゃくちゃでしたね(笑)。

その他の回答 (2)

noname#27172
noname#27172
回答No.3

a headが使えますよ。 difference in height quite equal to one head between him and her というふうに表現できます。

easuf
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。参考にさせていただきます。

• POKIE
  • ベストアンサー率33% (266/784)
回答No.1

He should be a head taller than her, but... でどうでしょうか。結構直訳でしょう?

easuf
質問者

お礼

そういう表現、思いつきませんでした。ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• It seems that ...

「彼と彼女の間には誤解があるように見える」の英訳 問題集の回答 : It seems that there is a misunderstanding between him and her. : There seems to be a misunderstanding between him and her. 僕の下記回答は間違いですか? : It seems to be misunderstanding between him and her. そもそも和文の主語は「誤解」述語は「ある」だとおもうので、たとえば : A misunderstanding seems to exist between him and her. でもよいような気がするんですが、やっぱり違和感がありますでしょうか?

• 日本語にない英語?

この前和文英訳のポイントとして日本語にない英語を補う事を学びました.そのときの例がこれです. 私の息子がまたお金を送るように頼んできました. =My son asked me to send him some maney. このように日本語にはないですがsendのあとにhimがありますよね. しかし他の本では (状況:自分が友達の試合を見に行くことになりました.私が試合を見に行くことは決まっています.) もし私の妹に時間があれば,連れて行きたい. とあります.私は If my sister has free time, I want to take her there(to your game). と思ったのですが答えには If my sister has free time, I want to take her. とあります.どういうときに英語を補わなくても良いのでしょうか? またはこの答えが不自然なのでしょうか?

• 英語の質問です!

[L. A. Hill, the author of the following passage], wrote a lot of short stories. ュ「He was very good at writing short stories which are seasoned with wit and humor, using expressions easy to understand. ュ」Readers will enjoy the wit and humor expressed between the lines in his stories. ュ、In the following passage [the author] tells about a funny puzzle which a wife has for her husband in order to make him understand that he does not listen to her. の英語の訳をお願いします!!

• culturally appropriating

My best friend is getting married late this year to an Indian American guy, and she has asked me to be in her wedding. She and I are both white. Her fiancé has made it clear that he wants many elements of a traditional Indian wedding to be in this ceremony, including the clothes that my friend and her bridal party will be wearing. It’s important to him and to his family that she and her bridesmaids participate in a henna-painting ceremony as well. My friend and I are worried—are we culturally appropriating? culturally appropriatingとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 高2英語

他のボランティアの人たちと友達になれればよいと思っています。 I hope I ( ) there. (  )内の英作をお願いいします。 あと We (watch) the soccer game between Brazil and Japan this evening. (  )内のwatch はwill や be going to を使うのか それとも、現在形で表すのかどちらがいいのですか? 回答の方よろしくお願いいたします

• 英語の訳について分からないことがあります。

The weather is fantastic. She is good at her work and has had listened to her presentation about her products he was convinced that the new shampoo wouldbecome a big hit. He placed a large order with her company, and the shampoo will be on store shelves by March at the latest. この二つの文について訳を教えてください。 また、newest line というのはどういう意味ですか?

• 英語を訳してもらいたいです

Isamu loved and respected his mother, who worked hard to raise him on her own as "a proper Japanese boy", which had been her dream. 日本語訳お願いします。

• be動詞+不定詞

Seeing as your stepdaughter is 18, she is mature enough to listen to you. Make clear that she is still allowed to have occasional sleepovers -- as in once or twice a month, not four or five nights a week -- but there is to be nothing sexual happening under your roof between her and her boyfriend or anyone else. https://www.arcamax.com/healthandspirit/lifeadvice/dearannie/s-2037989 there is to beのbe動詞+不定詞の解説をよろしくお願いします

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

Once, an elderly man consulted me because of his severe depression. He could not overcome the loss of his wife who had died two years before and whom he had loved above all else. Now how could I help him? Well, I refrained from telling him anything, but instead confronted him with a question, "What would have happened if you had died first, and your wife would have had to survive you?:" "Oh," he said, "for her this would have been terrible; how she would have suffered!" "You see," I replied, " such a suffering has been spared her, and you have spared her this suffering - to be sure, at the price that now you have to survive and mourn her." He said no word but shook my hand and calmly left my office. In some way, suffering ceases to be suffering at the moment it finds a meaning, such as the meaning of a sacrifice.  Of course, this was no treatment in the proper sense since, first, his despair was no disease, and second, I could not change his attitude toward his unchangeable fate because from that time on he could at least see a meaning in his suffering. Our main concern is not to gain pleasure or to avoid pain but rather to see a meaning in our life. That is why we are even ready to suffer, on the condition, to be sure, that our suffering has a meaning.

• 源氏物語の翻訳について

いつもお世話になっています。 A.Waleyの”THE TALE OF GENJI”(桐壺)を読んでいます。 わからないところを教えていただいて 英語の勉強をしたいと思っています。 続きをよろしくお願い致します。 1) 『He could not remember his mother, but the Dame of the Household had told him how very like to her the girl was, and this interested his childish fancy, and he would like to have been her great friend and lived with her always.』 ●彼は彼の母親を思い出すことができなかった。しかし内典が彼女(藤壺)がどんなにとても彼女(母親)に似ているか彼に話し、そしてこれは彼の子供のような想像に興味を持たせ、そして彼は彼女の偉大な友だちになりたかったと思い、そしていつも彼女と一緒に暮らしたかったと思った。・・・・・? he would like to have been her great friend~・・・・would like toが「~をしたいと思う」で、have beenが完了形になっているので、ここは「彼女の偉大な友だちになりたかった」という訳になるのでしょうか? 2) 『One day the Emperor said to her, ”Do not be unkind to him.He is interested because he has heard that you are so like his mother. Do not think him impertinent, but behave nicely to him. You are indeed so like him in look and features that you might well be his mother.”』 ●ある日帝は彼女に言った。「彼に不親切にしないで下さい。彼はあなたがとても彼の母親のようだということを聞いたので興味を持っているのです。彼を無作法だと思わないでください、そうではなく彼にうまく(申し分なく?)振舞ってください。あなたは実に姿と形において彼のようなので、あなたは彼の母になるのももっともかもしれない」・・・・・・? 藤壺と光源氏は似ていたのでしょうか? he would like to have been her great friend~・・・・would like toが「~をしたいと思う」で、have beenが完了形になっているので、ここは「彼女の偉大な友だちになりたかった」という訳になるのでしょうか? 藤壺女御は光源氏の義母に(あたる存在に)なりますが、年の差があまりないですね? いつもより短めの投稿にしました。 よろしくお願い致します。