Show Me Someone Sick and Happy: Understanding the Paradox of Stoicism

このQ&Aのポイント
  • In this article, we explore the paradoxical concept of being sick and happy, in danger and happy, dying and happy, exiled and happy, disgraced and happy.
  • We examine whether it is possible for someone to experience happiness amidst these challenging circumstances and discuss the Stoic philosophy that can help individuals actively form themselves in such a way.
  • Join us as we delve into the profound teachings of Stoicism and discover how it can provide guidance and insight into finding joy and contentment in the face of adversity.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

文章解釈

添付ファイル文章: Show me someone sick and happy, in danger and happy, dying and happy, exiled and happy, disgraced and happy. Show me! By God, how much I’d like to see a Stoic. But since you can’t show me someone that perfectly formed, at least show me someone actively forming themselves *so, inclined in this way…. Show me! 1. sick and happy, in danger and happy, dying and happy, exiled and happy, disgraced and happy の部分はsomeone を 「病気でありかつ幸せ、危険な状態にありかつ幸せ、死にそうであるが幸せ、追放されているが幸せ、辱められているが幸せな」というようになっていると理解していいのか自信がないです。解釈チェック宜しくお願いします。 2. このso はperfectly を受けていると解釈して合っているのか自信がないです。 解釈チェック宜しくお願いします。

noname#252302
noname#252302
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9724/12096)
回答No.1

以下のとおりお答えします。 >Show me someone sick and happy, in danger and happy, dying and happy, exiled and happy, disgraced and happy. Show me! By God, how much I’d like to see a Stoic. But since you can’t show me someone that perfectly formed, at least show me someone actively forming themselves *so, inclined in this way…. Show me! >1. sick and happy, in danger and happy, dying and happy, exiled and happy, disgraced and happy の部分はsomeone を 「病気でありかつ幸せ、危険な状態にありかつ幸せ、死にそうであるが幸せ、追放されているが幸せ、辱められているが幸せな」というようになっていると理解していいのか自信がないです。 ⇒はい、最後に「~な人」と付け足せば完璧だと思います。 >2. このso はperfectly を受けていると解釈して合っているのか自信がないです。 ⇒そういう解釈で合っていると思います。訳す際は「そのように」としていいかもしれませんが。 全訳はこんな感じになるでしょう。 「病気なのに幸せな人、危険に晒されているのに幸せな人、死にかけているのに幸せな人、追放されたのに幸せな人、貶められているのに幸せな人を見せてくれたまえ。見せてくれ! 私は神にすがってストア派*(の思想を持った人)を見たいのです。とはいえ、完璧に鍛えられた人を見せることはできないので、せめてそのように、この道に傾注して積極的に己自身を鍛え(ようとし)ている人を見せてくれたまえ…。見せてくれ!」 *ストア派は、自然に従い、運命を甘受することをよしとした哲学の一派で、エピクテトゥスは後期ストア派を代表する先哲ですね。

noname#252302
質問者

お礼

解釈をチェックしてくださりありがとうございました。とてもためになる訳文をくださりありがとうございます。理解をより良くすることができました。ご回答ありがとうございます。

関連するQ&A

• 文章解釈チェック

添付ファイル文章 “Never shirk the proper dispatch of your duty, no matter if you are freezing or hot, groggy or well-rested, vilified or praised, not even if dying or pressed by other demands. Even dying is one of the important assignments of life and, in this as in all else,make the most of your resources to do well the duty at hand."に関する質問です。 1. dispatch of your dutyのdispatch の理解に自信がないです。これは、 「U⦅正式⦆(仕事などの)手早い処理」 (ジーニアス辞典より)の意味として使われている、 Never shirk the proper dispatch of your dutyの部分の意味は 「あなたの義務を適切に処理することから決して逃がれようとするな。」、 で合っているのか自信がないです。 解釈チェック宜しくお願いします。 2. in this as in all else,の理解が分からないです。 this に値するのは、dying を指し、 in this as in all elseは 「他の全てのモノにおけるように、死においても」を意味する、 Even dying is one of the important assignments of life and, in this as in all else,make the most of your resources to do well the duty at hand. の全体の理解は、 「死でさえも人生の重要課題の一つであり、他の全てのモノにおけるように、死においても 手近の義務をうまく遂行するために、あなたの持つものを最大限に有効活用せよ。」、 であっているのか自信がないです。 解釈チェック宜しくお願いします。 3. この文章の要旨が掴めないです。 「あらゆる状況下にあっても、あなたの義務を適切、迅速に実行しなさい。(言い訳をしてはいけないのです。)死ぬことでさえ、人生の重要課題である。この点についても(死についても)人生につきものの他のあらゆることと同じように、あなたの当面の義務をしっかり実行するために持てるもの余すことなく尽くしなさい。死ぬ間際に後悔せぬよう、今のしなければいけない事に全力を尽くしなさい。」ということを言っている、という理解であっているのか自信がないてます。 解釈チェック宜しくお願いします。

• 正しい訳、解釈、ニュアンスを教えてください

サイトの人のメールで、 I looking for a pretty woman to take me out in town and show me a good time and teach me how to communicate in the local language. Could this be you? という文章がありました。 この部分だけみると彼はtake me out in town and show me good time and teach me comminication in the local language.の女の人を探しているようですが、私の解釈はあっていますか?それと私がこの人に返事をするしないは別として、この彼の文章に下心なニュアンス、におわせるものはありますか?コレは恋愛ですか友達をさがあしてるのでしょうか? 私の解釈は、 地元?に連れて行ってくれて、よい時間をすごさせてくれる(?)、地元の言葉での会話を教えてくれるひとを探している。 お願いします

• If I seem so 〜文章解釈に関する質問

添付ファイル文章 If I seem so happy to you, you could never say anything that would please me so much. の解釈に関する質問です。 「もし私があなたにそんなに幸せそうに見えているなら、あなたには、決して、 これほどまで私を喜ばせる言葉を いうことができないです。」 という解釈で合っているのか自信がないです 解説お願いします。

• 文章解釈 

添付ファイル文章に関する質問です。 "Show me that the good life doesn't consist in its length, but in its use, and that it is possible-no, entirely too common-for a person who has had a long life to have lived too little." 1. in its useは「人生の使い方」と解釈して合っているでしょうか? 2. Show me that (the good life doesn't consist in its length, but in its use,) it is possible-no, entirely too common-for a person who has had a long life to have lived too little. 「長い人生を生きてきた人がほとんど生きてないことが可能である、いや、あまりにもありふれすぎたことであることを示しなさい。」 it is possible-no, entirely too common-for a person who has had a long life to have lived too little の解釈がわからないです。 live too little というのはどういう文法になっていて意味はどのように取ればいいのか分からないです。 little は副詞として予想しているのですが、自信がないです。 解説宜しくお願いします。

• 文章解釈

以下の文章に関する質問です。 In this case, the truth is one we know well: the little things add up. Someone is a good person not because they say they are, but because they take good actions. One does not magically get one's act together- it is a matter of many individual choices. It's a matter of getting up at the right time, making your bed, resisting shortcuts, investing in yourself, doing your work. And make no mistake: while the individual action is small, its cumulative impact is not. 1. they say they are の最初の they は「巷のみんなが」という意味で、2つ目のthey は someoneを受けているという解釈で合っているか少し自信がないです。 解釈が合っているか教えてください。 2. One does not magically get one's act togetherをどのように解釈すれば良いのか分からないです。 「人は魔法のようにいきなり能力を十二分に発揮したりしません。」 get one's act togetherのニュアンスの解釈に困ってます。どう文章を解釈すれば良いのか解説宜しくお願いします。 3. make no mistakeの解釈に困ってます。 「ハッキリ言っておきます。」のように解釈すれば良いのでしょうか? 解釈の仕方を教えてください。

• この文章の解釈に苦しんでいます・・

こんにちは。 下記は契約関連の文章の一文ですが、解釈に苦しんでいます。 A and B shall negotiate in good faith equitable consideration to be paid to B for such efforts. 私は以下のように解釈したのですが・・ 「AとBは、公正な裁量によりBの努力に報いられるよう誠意を持って取り決めなければならない。」 ただ good faithの後にequitable considerationが直ぐ来ているので、 ここに何か省略されているのではないか・・と考えているのですが・・。 こうした理由から自分の解釈に自信がありません。 宜しくお願いします。

• 文章解釈

以下の文章に関する質問です。 And by the time that I finally did have that conversation with my parents, I remember being so shameful, I felt embarrassed, like I was a burden. I remember I didn't want my mum to look at me when I told her. It wasn't until my mum was able to I guess reassure me and tell me everything would be okay and give me a hug. It wasn't until my mum was able to I guess reassure me and tell me everything would be okay and give me a hug.の理解が難しいです。 I guess が挿入されていて、 It wasn't until my mum was able to (I guess)reassure me and tell me everything would be okay and give me a hug. の形であると分かるのですが、 it wasn’t until…をここでどのように理解すれば良いのか分からないです。itはここではなんなのでしょうか? 漠然とした状況のitかな?と考えましたが自信がないです。 「当時は、わたしのお母さんが、わたしを安心させてくれたり、大丈夫だからねと言ってくれたり、ハグしてくれたりできるところまでではなかったように思います。」

• 文章解釈

添付ファイル文章: “How beautifully Plato put it. Whenever you want to talk about people, it's best to take a bird's-eye view and see everything all at once- of gatherings, armies, farms, weddings and divorces, births and deaths, noisy courtrooms or silent spaces, every foreign people, holidays, memorials, markets—all blended together and arranged in a pairing of opposites.” に関する質問です。 of gatherings, armies, farms, weddings and divorces, births and deaths, noisy courtrooms or silent spaces, every foreign people, holidays, memorials, markets—all blended together and arranged in a pairing of opposites.をどのように解釈すれば良いのか分からないです。 1. 最初の頭に来ているof は、see everythingのeverything の具体例を挙げるために使われていると解釈して合っているのか自信がないです。 2. gatherings, armies, farms, weddings and divorces, births and deaths, noisy courtrooms or silent spaces, every foreign people, holidays, memorials, marketsにある、それぞれの名詞をどのように理解すれば良いのかわからないです。 「集まり、軍隊、農場、結婚と離婚、出生と死、騒々しい法廷、もしくは静かな空間、各外国人達、休日、記念行事、市場」 各名詞の理解に自信がないのですが、とりわけ holidays, memorials,の2つがよくわからないです。 holidays の形だけで、『年末年始、祝日、休日、バカンス』などがあるため、よく分からないです。 memorials は『記念行事』以外に『記念物、記念碑、記念館』があるため特定が難しく感じます。 なぜ、こんなバラバラな名詞が並べられているのか分からないです。この文脈で、どのような意図を著者は持っているのか分からないです。解説宜しくお願いします。 3. all blended together and arranged in a pairing of opposites. の理解は 「一緒くたにされ、真逆にあるものが対になってまとめ上げられているあらゆるものごと。」 で合っているのか分からないです。 この語句もどういった意味を持って書かれているのか分からないです。 解説宜しくお願いします。

• 文章解釈

以下の文章に関する質問です。 Almost every time that I've gone through a dip in my mental health I have gone back to my country and surrounded myself with mob. So I'm a proud Ngarabal and Cannemegal woman from the Darug and Kamilaroi nations. When I was 13, 14, when I was having a dip in my mental health, being around elders, being around community, that has always been something that when I am feeling not so good that I go to. この文章は発話文です。 1. that has always been something that when I am feeling not so good that I go to. that when となっていますが、 これは、話者がthat を発した時には that I go toを言おうとしたけれど、 when I am feeling not so good を途中で挿入しようと思ったためにthat when という並びになっているという理解で合っているのか自信がないです。 2. something that I go to.というのは、 「わたしがいたるもの」という理解で合っているのか分からないです。 go to と来たら場所!と感じるのですが、 something がgo to に来る場合の解釈が分からないです。 解説宜しくお願いします

• So の解釈について

添付ファイル文章にある Don't you know life is like a military campaign? One must serve on watch, another in reconnaissance, another on the front line.... *So it is for us—each person's life is a kind of battle, and a long and varied one too.についての質問です。 ✴︎のついたSo の解釈に自信がありません。 このso は「だから」の意味ではなく、 前言の代用としての「そう」である、という理解であっているのか自信がないです。 Soは具体的には、 like a military campaign: One must serve on watch, another in reconnaissance, another on the front line....を指し、端的には、like a military campaignを指している、という理解であっているのか自信がないです。 「人生は私たちにとってはそのようなものである。」 解説宜しくお願いします。