公益企業の長所についての拙訳を添削

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 公益企業の長所として、グランド・クーリー・ダムに係わる主張が、一連のビンゴ・パーラーやブルレスク風の家の建築との比較で加重されることは困難であると指摘されています。
  • 対費用-便益分析は、公共政策のあらゆる側面を投資の決定として扱っています。
  • 公益企業には、このような比較がないことがメリットの一つとされています。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文の拙訳の添削

It forces analysis into a straitjacket, he explains, by looking only at the narrowest effects of policy choices. More specifically, as R. J. Hammond argued passionately in 1960, cost-benefit analysis treats every aspect of public policy as an investment decision: "It would be hard if the claims of Grand Coulee Dam had to be weighed in the balance against those of building a chain of bingo parlors or burlesque houses from coast to coast, and it is surely one of the merits of public enterprise that they do not." 上記英文の: "It would be 以下の拙訳を添削願います。 「すなわち,「グランド・クーリー・ダムに係わる主張が一連のビンゴ・パーラー(ゲーム)または海岸から海岸に渡るブルレスク風の家なみの建築に係わる主張に対して重みを置いて加重しなければならなかったとすれば,そして,対費用-便益分析が行わない確実に公益企業の長所の1つであるとするなら,それは困難になろう」,と」。 以上,よろしくお願いします。

• jubu
  • お礼率86% (919/1061)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#250479
noname#250479
回答No.1

質問者さんは、ベストアンサーを与えるにあたっていろいろ遠慮したりなさっておられるようですが、少なくとも僕には配慮はいりません。今までずっと質問者さんの質問に答え続けてくれた方にこれからもベストアンサーをあげてください。僕の回答は、適当に読み流してくださって結構です。 (i) 英語原文: "It would be hard if the claims of Grand Coulee Dam had to be weighed in the balance against those of building a chain of bingo parlors or burlesque houses from coast to coast, and it is surely one of the merits of public enterprise that they do not." (ii) 質問者さんによる日本語訳: すなわち,「グランド・クーリー・ダムに係わる主張が一連のビンゴ・パーラー(ゲーム)または海岸から海岸に渡るブルレスク風の家なみの建築に係わる主張に対して重みを置いて加重しなければならなかったとすれば,そして,対費用-便益分析が行わない確実に公益企業の長所の1つであるとするなら,それは困難になろう」,と。 ============== (1) weigh AAA against BBB は、辞書を見てもわかる通り、「~と~とを比較検討する」という意味であって、経済学などでよくある「重みづけする」という意味はないと思います。(ただし僕は経済学や数学や統計学にはまったくの無知ですので、もし勘違いしていたら、どうかお許しください。)weight, weighted, weighting となっていて、間に t がついていたら「重みづけする」となりますけどね。ここでは t のついていない weigh, weighed, weighing の形が使われています。 "and it is surely one of the... they do not" は、"if 節" の中には含まれません。これはあくまで、それ以前の文とは全く違う新しい文です。だいいち、it would be hard... if ... had to be weighed..." というふうに仮定法らしいきちんとした形をしています。しかしそのあとの it is surely... that they do not" の部分は、仮定法の文の形をしていません。 全体を僕なりに訳してみます。いつもの回答者さんがいつものように素晴らしい和訳を提供してくださるでしょうけど、それまでのお目汚しということで。 なお、bingo parlors, burlesque houses は二つとも娯楽施設ですが、ここではカタカナ表記しておきます。burlesque は、アメリカで昔に流行った娯楽の一種を指しているはずです。"a chain of [複数名詞]" は「~のチェーン店」という意味だと思います。"a chain of department stores" などというふうによく使われる言い回しですね。 最後の that they do not は、おそらく that the claims of Grand Coulee Dam do not have to be weighed..." という意味だと思います。 僕なりの和訳: グランド・クーリーダムを作りたいという要求と、全米にわたるビンゴパーラーやバーレスク劇場のチェーン店を作りたいという要求とを天秤にかけて比較しないといけないならばそれは難しいが、公共事業においてはそうする必要はないという点がその利点の一つであることは確かだ。

jubu
質問者

お礼

ご解答有難うございました。 bingo parlors, burlesque houses は二つとも娯楽施設であるとは知りませんでした。 chainの訳もチェーン店ですね。 お訳しを頂戴致します。 感謝申し上げます。

関連するQ&A

• 英文の拙訳の添削を願います。

T. H. SUTTON SOTHERON [of the committee]: A mere calculation of good tables would not be sufficient to secure the society; you must have good rules as well? SANDERS: So far from that, I would rather trust a society with moderate tables and good rules, than a high one with bad rules. SIR H. HALFORD [of the committee]: The stringency of the rules consists in the smallness of the payments? SANDERS: Of course, it consists in the limitations we place upon insurance; we do not allow our members to insure such an amount in sickness, as, looking at their circumstances and income, would prove a temptation to fraud. HALFORD: You do not refer to any strict supervision as to the reality of sickness? SANDERS: That is inquired into, of course; we pay nothing but upon a surgeon’s certificate. In addition to that, the parties are visited by ordinary members, and those visits are weekly reported to the secretary. HALFORD: Of course you interdict their work during sickness? SANDERS: Our rules on that point are more stringent than most. 以上の下記の拙訳の添削をお願いします(意味内容が判然としません)。 T.H. Sutton Sotheron[委員会]:単なる優れたと一覧表と優れた規則は社会を保証するには十分ではないでしょう。貴方にも優れた規則が必要ですか? Sanders:それどころか,劣った規則のある高い社会よりも,適度な一覧表と優れた規則のある社会を信頼したいと思います。 Sir H. Halford[委員会]:規則の厳格さは支払金の小ささに左右される(ということですか)? Sanders:もちろん,それはわれわれが保険に課す制約に左右されます。われわれはメンバーが疾病でそのような金額の保証を行うことを許容していない。と言いますのも,彼等の状況と所得に注意すると,詐欺の衝動を証明することになるからです。 Halford:貴方は疾病の現実性に関する何らかの厳しい監査について述べておられるのではないのですか? Sanders:もちろん,それは調査されております。われわれは外科医の証明書に基づいて支払うだけです。それに加えて,加入者一団(parties)は(保険会社の)通常会員によって視察され,その視察は毎週秘書に報告されます。 Halford:もちろん,貴方は疾病の最中,彼等の機能を停止させるのですね? Sanders:その点に関するわれわれの規則は殆どの場合よりも厳格です。

• 英文の拙訳の添削を願います。

I was particularly disturbed by the danger of a methodological circle: that in order to grasp the phenomenon of cultural reification according to the prevalent norms of empirical sociology one would have to use reified methods as they stood so threateningly before my eyes in the form of that machine, the program analyzer. When I was confronted with the demand to "measure culture," I reflected that culture might be precisely that condition that excludes a mentality capable of measuring it. In general, I resisted the indiscriminate application of the principle "science is measurement," which was then little criticized even in the social sciences. The prescriptive right-of-way given to quantitative methods of research, to which both theory and individual qualitative studies should be at best supplementary, precisely postulates that one must tackle that paradox. The task of translating my reflections into research terms was equivalent to squaring the circle. I am certainly not the right person to decide how much of this is to be laid to my personal equation. But the difficulties are certainly of an objective nature also. 以上の英文の下記の拙訳の添削を願います。 「私は特に方法論的な領域,すなわち機械,集団反応分析機の形態をとった私の眼の前で脅迫された状態にあるがゆえに具体化された方法を使用しなければならなかった実証社会学で普及した規範に応じた文化的な具体化という現象を把握するための方法論的な領域の危険に困惑させられた。「計量文化」('measure culture')の強要に私が直面する時,私は思案するには,そうした文化は,厳密には,それを測定する能力のある人間の知性を締め出して仕舞うような疾患となる恐れがある。概して,私は「科学とは測定である」という社会科学においてさえ批判されることの少なかった原理の無差別な適用に抗して来た。双方の理論及び個別的で定性的な研究が精々補完的とされるべき定量的な調査研究の方法で所与とされる慣行的な優先権は,厳密にその逆説に取り組まなければならないということを自明のこととして仮定している。私の内省の研究用語での言い換えはこの領域と折り合いを付けることに等しい。この内どれだけ,測定と観察に関して観察者である私が持っている固有のバイアスを持っているかを決める上で私自身が適切な人間でないことは確かである。だが,困難は確実に客観的性質を帯びてもいる。」

• 英文の拙訳の添削

This brings us back to Nagel's "view from nowhere." Such complete detachment is obviously unreachable. But while quantifiers can scarcely assert that their conclusions come from nowhere, they can claim that they come from "somewhere else." Quantitative conclusions carry authority in part becausethey seem to be dictated by explicit procedures for gathering and processing numbers, and to be independent of the passions and interests that inform political debate. The key ingredient here is the faith that science works according to a method, which raises it above the foibles of mere individuals. 上記英文の下記の拙訳を添削願います。 「これにより、Nagelの云う「何処からともなく見える眺め」("view from nowhere")を想い起こさせる。 そのような完全な分離は明らかに到達不可能である。しかし定量化を行う者は,結論が何処からともなく来たのかを主張できることは稀であるが,「どこか別の場所」から来たと主張することはできる。定量的な結論は、数を収集して処理するための明示的な手順によって決定され,政治的論争を特徴付ける情熱や関心から独立しているように見えるがゆえに部分的に権威を持つ。ここで重要な要素は、科学が単なる個人の可能性を超えてそれを引き上げる方法に従って機能するという確信である。」 以上宜しくお願いします。

• 英文和訳をお願いします。

以下の英文の和訳をお願い致しますm(_ _)m。 Thousands of victims of Hurricane Ike settled in at shelters for what could be weeks, and others waited wearily in line for food, water, ice, and gasoline Monday as it became increasingly clear the disaster along the Texas coast would be measured not by its death toll but by the misery it spread.

• 英文添削をお願いします

(和文) 私は今後の10年間で企業経営の分野で腕を磨きたいです。国際化が進む世界にあって、需要が供給を満たしていない様々な業界が生まれるでしょう。そうなると、新たなビジネスを興す機会も比例して増加してきます。いざビジネス機会を得たとき、起業や経営のスキルがないと、それを活かせないのです。 (英訳) I would like to be professionally in the field of business management in ten years. In the world moving toward globalization, there will be excess of demand over supply in a variety of areas. That would promote a significant increase of new business opportunities proportionately. Even if you have a chance to launch a new business, you wouldn't be able to take it unless you have abilities of start-up business and manage it. 自分なりに英訳してみたのですが、間違っている箇所や、表現が不適当なものがあれば教えて下さい。 それから、最後の「you wouldn't be able to take it unless you have abilities of start-up business and manage it」という部分で、take it と manage it と二箇所で it を使っていますが、大丈夫でしょうか? どなたかご回答お願いします。

• 英文の拙訳の添削をお願いします。

While it may well be the case that these investors in S&P 500 index funds would be happy to have the benefit of this discretionary portfolio management at a relatively low price, this does not change the fact that investors are getting something different from what is being described to them. The argument that there is no problem here because investors are obtaining very cheap management is analogous to telling a customer who was handed a television that it’s not a problem that she was not given the toaster she was promised because the deal represents a bargain on televisions. 以上の英文の下記の拙訳の特に,The argument that there is no problem here because investors are obtaining very cheap management is analogous to telling a customer who was handed a television that it’s not a problem that she was not given the toaster she was promised because the deal represents a bargain on televisions.の直喩に特に焦点を当てて,添削願います。 「S&P 500インデックスに資金を投じるこうした投資家が比較的低価格で自由裁量的ポートフォリオ運用の便益を喜んで受けるケースもよく分かるが,他方,彼ら投資家が彼らに目論見書で書いたのとは何処か違う状況に置かれることになるという事実をこれは変えるものではない。投資家は非常に安価な運用に与ることになるから何の問題もないという議論は,取引は,(元々)テレビを受取るのをあてにしたものでないことを表すから,彼女が約束されたトースターを与えられないということは(何ら)問題ではないということを,テレビを与った顧客に告げるのに類似している。」 以上宜しくお願いします。

• 英文 添削してください。

こんにちは高校三年生です。 来年は一橋の受験を考えております。そこで何かテーマが与えられてそれを英文で展開するという訓練がしたくて投稿させていただきます。 今回が初めての練習でなにとぞダメ出しが多いかと思いますが、大学入試の採点方式に基づいた添削をしてください。 できれば改善点など添えていただけると今後の役に立ちます。 今回は[物価の上昇について]です。 Generally ,there is a tendency that prices are rising in every field, and these changes influence people who are makers or consumers directly. In my opinion, these social phenomenomens need supressing because there would be in a trouble and a competition. Firet of all, there would be in a trouble . Rising prices would do damage to financial of each home. Peoples come to avoid buying rising goods. Second, there would be a competition between businesses. A big company would adapt to their surroundings to make the prise as low as possible , but a small company could not do . Then it would go bankrupt . For these reasons , price stability is important so that keep social stability . However , the more international the world become , the more difficult it is for prices to remain . 131文字でまとめました。 こういう感じの英作を暇な時に続けていきたいと思います。 この勉強スタイルについてもちょっと意味があるのかギモン(自分で考えた勉強法です)なのでご意見お願いします。 なおせっかく回答を頂いたのになにもこちらからしてあげられないのは本当に申し訳ないので、なるべく2件の回答が集まったら打ち切ってポイントを差し上げたいと思います。(気づかなかったらごめんなさい。) どうぞよろしくお願いします。

• 英文の邦訳をお願いします。

But his critique of undersocialized (i.e. structuralist) and oversocialized (i.e. actororiented) approaches recalls AS efforts to combine a Marxist analysis of the circuits of capital with a neo-Gramscian analysis of hegemonic strategies and fractional agency. Had the AS embraced a more accessible, recognizable method such as network analysis, its impact would probably have resonated far more widely. 上記英文の邦訳をお願い致します。

• 英文添削お願いします。

英文添削お願いします。 First October ‘10 I thought whether I would go out to drink or not after work. Finally I decided not to go, as I will do next Monday and Tuesday. And most of the reasons what I decided so is to watch a TV program. Perhaps, if most of people hear it, they feel I am sad person. Most of my favorite TV program is “walking town to meet in the world” And it is the town I love and hadn’t been to six months ago. After watching it, I’m sure I’ll go Bergen. I want to watch it as soon as possible.

• 英文添削お願いします。

英文添削お願いします。 October 16th ‘10 I was busy today. As soon as I got up morning, I went to do rice-cake making. As a mallet of today was bigger than I had used ones of past, my arm パンパンになった。 And it was fine, I was tired a lot. After rice-cake making, I had to put a TV board together. But I had just bought some parts for that. When I got a call from the shop buying the TV, I was not easy a little. But I had a promise with my friends to go out to drink, I gave up it and did it. We met in grilled meet restaurant. We bought a 50percent off ticket of this restaurant with an internet. It was great and we would be full. As the TV will come to my house yester morning, I had better go to sleep early. It is almost 2 o’clock.