• ベストアンサー

以下の形容詞の意味がよくわかりません。。。

以下の3つの単語の違い(もしかして使わない表現もあるかも)がよくわかりません。ニュアンスの違いについても調べ方がいまひとつわからなくて困っています。 人に使うときにはed形を使うことまではわかるのですが。。。 よろしく御願いします。 That was a very satisfactory trip. That was a very satisfying trip. That was very satisfactory. That was very satisfying. That is a pleasant taste. That is a pleasing taste.

• お礼率15% (15/94)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2671/3943)
回答No.1

Satisfactory vs. Satisfying この二つの違いは比較的分かり易いと思います。 Satisfactory ⇒ ある一定の基準を満たしている Satisfying ⇒ (その人にとって)満足のいく水準に達している ですから、Satisfactory だからといって、必ずしも Satisfying にまで達しているとは限らないわけです。例を挙げてみると、 「His test result was not "satisfying" for him, but it was "satisfactory" as far as his mother was concerned.」 「 彼の試験結果は彼には満足のいくものではなかったが、彼の母親からすれば十分(の出来栄え)だった。」 「The meal may have been "satisfactory" if it had been Denny's, but it was far from "satisfying" considering we had been to a three-star restaurant.」 「これがデニーズであったなら十分と言える食事だったかも知れないが、我々が行ったのが三ツ星レストランであったことを考えると、とても満足のいくものではなかった。」 Pleasant vs. Pleasing この二つの違いは微妙だと思います。 Pleasant ⇒ 心地良い/気持ちの良い(性質/気質のある) Pleasing ⇒ 心地良い/気持ちの良い(感情を与えてくれる) Pleasing には Pleasant に「フィーリングの要素」が加わると思います。 敢えて例を挙げてみるなら、 「The weather is very "pleasant". The warm breeze and the mild sunshine is very "pleasing" to the skin.」 「とても心地良い天気だ。暖かいそよ風と穏やかな日光が肌にとても気持ち良い(心地良く感じる)。」 「It was not only pleasant, but also a very pleasing dinner. 」 「それは単に心地良かっただけでなく、とても気持ちの良い夕食であった。」

関連するQ&A

• pleasantとpleasingの違いなど

pleasingとpleasedの違いは分かりますが、pleasantとpleasingとpleasedの違いがいまひとつしっくりしません。 またsatisfactoryとsatisfying の違いも微妙です。

• 動名詞の範囲の問題でわからない問題があります

動名詞の範囲の問題でわからない問題があります (a)Her manners are far from pleasant. (b)Her manners are ( ). (1)never pleased (2)never pleasing (3)very pleased (4)very pleasing 正解は2なのですが私は納得できません 主語の彼女のマナー自体は喜ばないし、彼女のマナーは人を喜ばせるので どう考えても1か3としか思えません どなたか教えてください

• 主語+be動詞+形容詞の考え方。

1) It's safe to drink this water. → It's safe for us to drink this water. と言える。 2) This water is safe to drink. → This water is safe for us to drink. と言える。 3) The window was very difficult to open.    これも1) 2)から考えるに for us などの省略があるので ”to 動詞" のところが [for us ←主語we]のto 動詞が 述部と考えられるから このような文になる。    ここからなんですが、では、 2)や3)をThis water , The window を主語として考えると ★2) This water is safe to be drunk. 「この水は 飲まれるには 安全です。」 ★3) The window was very difficult to be open(ed). 「その窓は 開けられるには(あいた状態にするには) とても難しい。」      なんて文には ならないのでしょうか? あまりみないかも?なのですが、いつもこれってこうも考えられると常々思っていました。  教えてもらえますか?よろしくお願いいたします。

• 以下の文訳のメカニズム

Alongside is a corn and salad that,though richly satisfying,somewhat overpowers the chocolate cakes・ 出来れば訳もお願いしたいのですが、どのように読み解くかお教え下さい。特にAlongside isの訳し方とThat以下の文が何処にかかるのかお願いします。

• 関係詞に関する質問です。

関係詞に関する質問です。 This is the very moss in which the professor was in search. (これぞまさしく教授の探していた苔だ) という文中の[in which]は[that]に置き換えられないとのことです。 過去に[前置詞+which]は[that]に置き換えられると学んだ記憶があるのですが、 置き換えが出来るときの出来ないとき、それぞれの違いを教えていただけますでしょうか?

• 不定詞を使って書き換える ④

問題が解けません。色々調べても、どんな風に応用すればいいのかが全く分かりません。たくさんありますが、どなたか教えてください。お願いします。 ⑥We believed that he was a very rich man. ⑦I did not know whom I should send in my behalf. ⑧It was said that she had been carried away by a tiger. ⑨It is not necessary that you should write it over again. ⑩I awoke and found that I was alone in the house.

• 冠詞・形容詞・副詞の選択問題です。

自分で、分かるところもありましたが、自信のない問題も少なくありませんでした。 同じ単語が使われているのにどうしてそうなるのかとか、答えはわかるけど、どうしてこの答えになるかの理由とかがいまいちよく分からないところもありました。 見直しのため、一つずつに訳と、少しでいいので解説をつけていただけたらと思います。 1 The children can watch only one television program().   アnight イa night ウduring night エin night 2 He caught me().   アby arm イby an arm ウby the arm エby my arm 3 I´d like to hire a baby-sitter().   アby hour イby an hour ウby the hour エby each hour 4 It was()that everybody burst out laughing.   アso a funny joke イa so funny joke ウsuch a funny joke エa such funny joke 5 Buses run to the stadium()ten minutes.   アany イeach ウevery エsome 6 You will be able to get out of the hospital in()two weeks.   アanother イother ウeach エeither 7 The population of this village is very().   アfew イlittle ウsmall エmuch 8 I decided not to buy that dress. The price was too().   アexpensive イhigh ウinexpensive エreasonable 9 She turned up at the party dressed in the().   アlast イfinal ウlatest エactual 10 The popularity of cell phones has led to()people writing letters these days.   アalmost イfewer ウhardly エleast 11 Our PE teacher, a()professional basketball player, is coaching the school team.   アprevious イlate ウonce エformer 12 The incident happened a long time ago―ten years to be().   アcorrect イexact ウright エtrue 13 These kinds of paintings are()little value.   アhaving イof ウwith エnot a 14 Susan is a()American girl.   アsixteen-years-old イsixteen-years ウsixteen-year-old エsixteen-old 15 I was()to complete the work.   アimpossible イimperfect ウincapable エunable 16 Don´t forget to drop in at my office when().   アyou are convenient イyou will be convenient ウit is your convenience エit is convenient for you 17 The good weather looks like it will last.I´ll take my umbrella,().   アyet イtherefore ウfurthermore エthough 18 ()students wear uniforms.   アMost of イAlmost of ウMost the エAlmost all the」 19 I can´t go abroad, I´m too busy. (), my passport is out of date.   アBesides イNevertheless ウBecause エAccordingly 20 No topic is()if you are not interested.   アinterest イinterested ウinteresting エinterestingly 21 Although my trip to Hokkaido was very(), I enjoyed it.   アexcited イexciting ウtired エtiring 22 He seemed so()with his new house.   アpleased イpleasant ウpleasing エpleasure 23 My father works very hard. It´s not()that he always looks tired.   アsurprised イsurprise ウsurprising エto surprising 24 Jill studied very hard, so she was()in the examination.   アsucceeded イsuccessive ウsuccessful エimaginative 25 A dragon is an()creature that has never existed.   アimagery イimaginable ウimaginary エimaginative 以上です。

• 挿入句について

Killerという単語の意味を説明している英文があります。 Killer” is also an informal word that we use as an adjective rather than a noun. Someone will say, “This is a killer car,” or “That's a killer dress.” They usually mean it is something that is really great. Sometimes, “killer” can mean a thing that is very difficult or describes something that is very difficult. “That test was a killer,” or “That was a killer test,” meaning it was a very difficult test. So, it has taken on some other meanings, killer has, over the last several years. The word “murderer” can also be used for a very difficult situation. “This heat is murder,” meaning it's very difficult. It's very challenging. Or “That test was murder.” It was very tough. It was very hard. 以上の英文の中で So, it has taken on some other meanings , killer has, over the last several years. のカンマの間の killer has を除くと 「過去数年に渡って、いくつかの他の意味を持ってきた」という感じの意味だと思いますが、 挿入されたkiller hasはどういう意味でしょうか。 又、hasと動詞で終わっています。目的語があると思うのですが、それはどれを指すのでしょうか。 以上です。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語 形容詞・副詞

自分の答えが合っているかと 間違っていた問題は訳や説明をいただけると嬉しいです ・先生にそんな態度をとるとは君は失礼だったね It was rude of you to behave in that way towards your elders. =()()rude to behave in that way towards your elders.→They were ・最北の地点へのバスは冬季は運行していません There (is/no/available/bus service/to/the/northernmost) point in winter. →is no the bus service to available northernmost ・I have () things to do tonight, so I have to work until very late. 1 few 2 little 3 quite a few 4 quite a little→4 ・Our organization plans to stimulate () development in this area. 1 economical 2 economic 3 economics 4 economized→1 ・King Arthur of England was an () person. 1 image 2 imaginable 3 imagination 4 imaginary→4 ・The number of students who come to class () has been increasing recently. 1 late 2 little late 3 in late 4 of lately→3 わからなかった問題です。 ・並び替え 1 (are/their parents/on/dependent/of/a/adult children/number). 2 This organization (global/is/new/something/stop/to/trying/warming).

• 接続詞thatの繰り返し

以下の文の中で、thatが二回出てくるのと、thatを一度しか使わないのとの意味上の違いはどうなるのでしょうか。 1・1   The player told me that Mr.Akiyama was a good coach and that he took good care of their team. 1・2  The player told me that Mr.Akiyama was a good coach and I can see he takes good care of their team. 2・1 He said that he had sat up very late wathing TV and that now he was tired. 2・2 He said that he had sat up very late wathing TV and now he was tired.