What to Do When Your Partner's Career Keeps You Apart

このQ&Aのポイント
  • A 23-year-old medical student struggles with being in a relationship with a Navy serviceman, whose job involves death and killing.
  • The couple's communication is limited, and they rarely get to see each other due to military rules.
  • The medical student is torn between her love for her boyfriend and the constant worry about his safety and their future together.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

よろしくお願いします

Dear Sugars, I'm a 23-year-old medical student and I absolutely love what I do. There is nothing that would keep me from pursuing this dream. I've been dating a wonderful man for about a year. During that time, we've been incredibly happy as a couple. He is respectful, brilliant, ambitious, kind and hilarious. The problem is, he's now in the Navy and I am the world's worst Navy girlfriend. I have a really hard time with his job involving death and killing when mine is about preserving life. On top of that, because of the way the military works, our communication has become limited, at best. We hardly get to see each other, and when we do, it's entirely controlled by various rules that I don't understand and I'm not used to. My heart aches constantly because I miss him so much. And it's not like there's a light at the end of the tunnel. This is how his career will largely be, and my own busy schedule with 12-18 hour days makes it even harder. It will be years before I ever get to live with him again or see him every day. I don't want to end things — he's my best friend and the best man I've ever met — but I spend so much time missing him and worrying about his safety. I don't want to spend my life missing a man who is seldom around. My heart hurts. What do I do? Signed, Worst Navy Girlfriend Steve Almond: I'm so glad we received this letter and have the chance to answer it, for the simple reason that the civilian culture in the United States and elsewhere really lives in a world where we do not recognize the burdens that are off-loaded onto military families. Not just the risk of injury or psychological trauma; it's absence and the bureaucratic rules when you're trying to move toward marriage and a stable life together that's never talked about. The one thing I would step back from is the idea that your boyfriend's job involves death and killing. The military ultimately defends the homeland, and there's killing and injury and devastation involved with that, but it's a very small portion of the military. More largely, you need to have a conversation with your boyfriend about whether his career is going to make it so that, for years, you are not going to be able to see him every day. There are people who know they're going to be "career military," and you can say yes or no to that. But you have to get a clear account, because if you're as important to him as he is to you, there should be some room for negotiation. whether his career is going to make it so that, for years, you are not going to be able to see him every day. の訳とclear account,の意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4131/5367)
  • 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2671/3943)
回答No.2

whether his career is going to make it so that, for years, you are not going to be able to see him every day. 何年にもわたり、日々あなたが彼と会えなくなるよう、彼が(軍人としての)キャリア(出世街道)を突き進むことになるのか否か But you have to get a clear account しかしあなたは(事情を)明確に把握しなければなりません [注] get a clear account は get a clear picture と同じような意味を持ちます

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。

その他の回答 (2)

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.3

> More largely, you need to have a conversation with your boyfriend about whether his career is going to make it so that, for years, you are not going to be able to see him every day.  「もっと大切なのは、あなたが毎日のようには彼と会えないと状況が何年も続けば、(その結果として) 彼が出世できるのかどうか、そのことを彼と話し合ってみる必要があるということです」 > But you have to get a clear account, because if you're as important to him as he is to you, there should be some room for negotiation.  「とにかく事をはっきりさせることです。あなたにとって彼が大切な人であるのとおなじくらいに彼にとってもあなたが重要な存在であるというのなら、妥協する余地が見いだせるかもしれませんからね」

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。make it so that,とaccountは単独でどのような意味になるでしょうか?

noname#233737
noname#233737
回答No.1

whether his career is going to make it so that, for years, you are not going to be able to see him every day. の訳とclear account,を検索すればいい

関連するQ&A

• 大大至急です!(´;ω;`)日本語訳お願いします。

翻訳機にかけるのはやめてください。 英語がわかるかた、日本語訳おねがいします。 (1)I more than just like you. (2)I'm not saying I like tall girls. I'm saying I don't care about how tall a girl is.  (3)If things are going to work between us when I leave. (4)Right now it seems like you're scared and it makes me think that things are going to work between us when I leave.  (5)No one else but you. I am not unconcerned either. There are going to be times that I won't be able to talk to you everyday. When I go to Montana I will be at work for 5 days at a time and won't be able to go back home and email or message you. Or if I deploy somewhere and I will only be able to message you 1 or 2 times a week maybe. That's the way it's going to be and I need you to be able to handle that. Please know that there will never be a day that I don't think about you or I won't be thinking about you all day. 日本語訳お願いします。

• よろしくお願いします

My husband is a high-ranking officer in the military. He has worked hard to achieve his current position and is highly respected. The problem is, his family treats him like a child. In a few months, there will be a formal ceremony to mark his change of command. My in-laws will be in attendance, and they are certain to embarrass him. They insist on calling him by his unusual childhood nickname (he cringes every time). They talk down to him and give him gifts meant for children, such as books for teen boys (last Christmas), a small child's backpack (last birthday) and now a child's piggy bank, which they intend to present to him in front of his unit at the ceremony. These gifts are not intended as jokes. My husband is always gracious on the outside but horrified on the inside. Is there some way to remind his family that he is indeed an adult and has certainly earned the right to be treated like one? -- Proud Military Spouse Dear Spouse: It is difficult to change ingrained behavior without the cooperation of all the people involved. Your husband apparently has determined that the best way to handle his parents is to leave things as they are. That is his choice. While we appreciate your desire to be supportive and protective, you might also be adding to his stress because your reaction is one of anger and embarrassment. one of anger and embarrassmentのoneは何を指しているのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英語の翻訳をお願いします

長文ですが、次の英語の翻訳をお願いします。 ある俳優にファンが出演した映画について聞いています Q:I was going to ask you Randy about Lorton Lake. A:You know Danny finished that and like re-edited it and did something with it. The director, sorry, the director has had like full control of overall about whatever we make and then he is going to cut down. And I think he did some weird re-edit of it and it played at some places under a different name, but I don't actually have that in control over that anymore. I was like… Q:Don't know if we are going to get to see that then? A:I don't know, I should talk to him while I am here, I need to… Probably not. Q:There is so many things that you guys do that we don't get to see. A:I know, I know, but it's like not good enough for you guys yet, if you see it now. 宜しくお願いします。

• 和訳おねがいします

Until one day I said to myself, " I am going to make a mark somewhere else," and I noticed that at the corner where we turned there was a wine store with Jewish initials. The next day I told him," I am not going with you. " So the old sister came running, " You will get lost. We will not be able to find you. " But I didn't listen. I walked out with my nose up, and I got to that store with the Jewish sign. I turned, and I got to my dressmaker.

• 翻訳をお願いいたします

以下の英文を和訳していただけるかたのみで。 お願いできますでしょうか? 3段落の中盤部分ですので、内容が中途半端になっていると思いますが、 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 There may be things you both want to escape from in life, but the relationship is not about escape it is practical, workable, and though in the long term future you will work behind the scenes of the relationship making things right, while he becomes more the outer recognised figure, you will still be appreciated. You will be the wind beneath his wings, the power and force behind him, that helps him succeed. There is something solitary and self contained about the soul mate too, though again this is not at first evident.

• 和訳をお願いします

以下の英文の和訳をしていただけるかたに、 お願いできますでしょうか。 よろしくお願いいたします。 Love has a power. Thoughts have a power. Once you have met this man, a fate unlocks which though mysterious and irresistible, propels you together. You will be reminded of him so often in so many ways, it will be as though your mind walks down all the paths and avenues of daily life, but that they all lead back to him. Not only will you think of him but fate itself will seem to bring him continually to your attention. This bond is like a chain that forever ties your destiny, that joins your soul to his and always has, it is always there, its intangible, and inaccessible to the conscious mind, There can be something of the obsession about such love, a love that never lets you go, but it is a sweet dramatic obsession. Moving, painful at times, wonderful, and total. Once you meet it strengthens a thousand fold. All the weight of history and time, the more you think of him, and love him, the more it consolidates the karma life time after lifetime, this love is more powerful than life and death The bond is fate and even if you part it will work to subtlety always draw you and him back together to help you find each other in the world.

• できるだけ早く和訳お願いします!!すみません!!

"There is no good talking to him," said a Dragonfly, who was sitting on the top of a large brown bulrush ; "no good at all, for he has gone away." "Well, that is his loss, not mine," answered the Rocket. "I am not going to stop talking to him merely because he pays no attention . I like hearing myself talk. It is one of my greatest pleasures. I often have long conversations all by myself, and I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." "Then you should certainly lecture on Philosophy," said the Dragon-fly ; and he spread a pair of lovely gauze wings and soared away into the sky. "How very silly of him not to stay here! " said the Rocket. "I am sure that he has not often got such a chance of improving his mind. However, I don't care a bit. Genius like mine is sure to be appreciated some day;" and he sank down a little deeper into the mud. After some time a large White Duck swam up to him. She had yellow legs, and webbedfeet, and was considered a great beauty on account of her waddle. " Quack, quack, quack," she said. " What a curious shape you are! May I ask were you born like that, or is it the result of an accident?" "It is quite evident that you have always lived in the country," answered the Rocket, "otherwise you would know who I am. However, I excuse your ignorance. It would be unfair to expect other people to be as remarkable as oneself. You will no doubt be surprised to hear that I can fly up into the sky, and come down in a shower of golden rain."

• ディクテーション…チェックお願いします

下の動画をディクテーションしてみました。 少し自信がないですが、もしよろしければチェックして、間違いを正してもらえるとうれしいです。 I would say, the best advice is, you know what so, I love being, you know, I like the idea of going to school. Success sometimes could over shadow things like education, because, somebody, because success for just being a runner, but then end of dropping like education. I think education is very important. As a ( ) athlete, right now, who is very good. I would say, you should ( ) in college all for ______________________________________________________, you know, academics going fast. Use ( ) is together experience, to study, completed get degree than runner take care of it as. If I ( ) take college ( ) OK, I`m not going to finish my school, and then did my running fast. I think going to be even hard for me and put a lot of presser for me right on in life, to going to school. So you know what experience ( ) in college is amazing. And so, another things, you know what so, work hard. Because there is nothings comes free. There is always say, you know, there is nothings that go on be like, you know what, when you wake up nothing on the table. You have to put it on the table. You have to work it and there opts good come along the way. I`ve seen that of the course. I`ve seen there is ( ) nose way things that jump over it, you become better person, because, you know what, now, you know what, really, what sometimes people have in life, the hardships, have there come over hardships. So once, you ( ), you know, you know, chance to understand, you know sometimes, hardships is not he, in terms of like happen to me, could be ( ) could be things are not go mile with coaching with, you know that, have to find the right things to make everything that is negative a positive.

• No, I kid!

I’m going to make a few assumptions here: I am assuming that you’re not friendly with the ex’s current boyfriend. I’m also assuming you wanted to break up with the strangler, and that he didn’t leave you for the new guy. I’m assuming that even though the ex was gross, you broke up with him, told him what the problems with non-consensual choking are (and there are lots!) and have no lingering attachments. The best way to avoid drama, Choking, is to not be in theater. No, I kid! http://littlevillagemag.com/dear-kiki-how-can-i-deal-with-my-creepy-ex-and-his-new-boyfriend/ No, I kid!はどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• どちらの英文が正しいですか?

A : I'm going to not be on a diet today. B : I'm going not to be on a diet today. 問題はNOTの位置です。 アメリカ人に聞いたところ、A の方が正しい、というかBでも意味はわかるがなんとなく奇妙に感じる。アメリカ人ならAの言い方をすると思う。Aの方を使う人が断然多い。とのことでした。 そこで、もう一つ。 C: I want you to not be there. D: I want you not to be there. これもNOTの位置ですが、 上記のアメリカ人はこの例については、どちらも  ”technically correct ” なんだそうです。 Aが正しいとするなら、同じ理屈でDはダメでCが正しい、というのかと思っていたんですが、例文が変わると正解も変わる(または違う用法?)のでしょうか? 長く英語に触れていますが、私はABCDどれもアメリカ人と思われる人たちが使っているのを聞いています。でも文法は知らないので、どれが正しいのか・・・・ いずれも  I'm NOT going to I DON'T want you to が一般的なのはもちろんわかっていますが、強調で使われるこの言い方の理解が微妙です。 また、略して I'm gonna と 言ったり書いたりする場合 gonna にはto も含まれているので、以下にNOTをいれる場合(あんまりないと思いますが、敢えて・・) I'm gonna not be = I'm going to not be になってしまうので、やはり Aが正解でなくてはならないのか? 考えていると混乱してきました。(><) どなたか、スパッとしたお答えをお願いします。