Necessary Coffee and Waterlogged Facsimiles

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Discover the meaning of needing in the given sentence and the interpretation of waterlogged facsimiles.
  • Explanation of the usage of needing in the sentence and the meaning of waterlogged facsimiles.
  • Interpretation of 'needing' and the meaning of waterlogged facsimiles in the given sentence.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

We woke needing coffee

以下の英文はTEDからの文ですが、needingのところは文法上ではどのような解釈になるのでしょうか。分詞構文でしょうか。解説をお願いいたします。それとwaterlogged facsimilesはどうゆう意味なのでしょう。よろしくお願いいたします。 Tell your daughters of this year, how we woke needing coffee but discovered instead cadavers strewn about our morning papers, waterlogged facsimiles of our sisters, spouses, small children.

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • 92128bwsd
  • ベストアンサー率58% (2275/3919)
回答No.2

TEDも見てみましたが、このトークいたるところに比喩を入れていて難しいですね。全体的には2016年と言う女性の戦いに取って記録に残る年について、娘達にどう伝えていくのかと言うような話で、恐らくは、女性軽視でレイシストのドナルド・トランプ、それに対する戦い、ヒラリー・クリントンの敗北、これから、そんなようなテーマと思います。 そう考えると、 cadavers strewn about our morning papers は、「朝刊に散らばる死体の山」ではなくて、「朝刊にあふれる半狂乱の記事」のような事を大げさに言っているのかと思います。すると、waterlogged facsimiles は「使い物にならないFAX」ではなくて「姉妹、夫、ちっちゃな子どもたちからのひっきりなしの混乱したメッセージ」見たいなことの比喩かなと思います。waterloggedは水浸しと訳すと意味を成さないので、行き詰った、にっちもさっちもいかない。使い物にならないFAX。だけど、今時家でFAXを使うわけがないので、メッセージが続々と送られてはジャムってわけがわからない状態かと理解しました。 「今年の事をあなたがたの娘に話してあげましょう。私達がどう目を覚ましてコーヒーを飲もうとして、でもその前に朝刊に半狂乱の記事が溢れ、兄弟や、夫や、ちっちゃな子どもたちからのメッセージでジャムったFAXみたいに混乱した日の事を。」 needingは分詞構文で、この場合はwokeが自動詞でそれに対して、and needed と訳して良いと思います。

DeepSkyObj
質問者

お礼

ご回答いただきありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (1)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

1。ここのneeding は、下記の現在分詞の副詞的用法です。     https://www.eisaku.info/%E7%8F%BE%E5%9C%A8%E5%88%86%E8%A9%9E-%E9%81%8E%E5%8E%BB%E5%88%86%E8%A9%9E%E3%81%AE%E5%89%AF%E8%A9%9E%E7%9A%84%E7%94%A8%E6%B3%95/%E7%8F%BE%E5%9C%A8%E5%88%86%E8%A9%9E%E3%81%AE%E5%89%AF%E8%A9%9E%E7%9A%84%E7%94%A8%E6%B3%95/  したがっていかに「我々がコーヒーを欲して目を覚ます」という意味です。 2。それとwaterlogged facsimilesはどうゆう意味なのでしょう。  「水に浸かった、~の類似品」 3。いかにして<ああコーヒーが欲しいなあ>と思いながら目を覚ますが、(実態は)朝刊の周りに我々の姉妹、配偶者、小さな子どもに似た水浸しの死体が散らばって転がっているのを発見したのだと今年のお嬢さんたちに言ってください、 4、TEDって何ですか。

DeepSkyObj
質問者

お礼

ご回答いただきありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 英文構造についてご教授お願いします。

There are all sorts of things that we do and think that we're willing to tell our physician or our lawyer or our psychologist or our spouse or our best friend that we would be mortified for the rest of the world to learn. (http://www.ted.com/talks/glenn_greenwald_why_privacy_matters/transcript?language=en#t-387100) という文なんですが、訳としては、医者や弁護士、心理学者、配偶者、友達にはしたり、言ってもいいが 世間にわかると恥ずかしいというたぐいのものはいくらでもあります。となっていますが 3つめのTHATについてこれはall sorts of thingsにかかる関係代名詞だとおもうのですが 1つ目のthatもそうだと思います。こういうふうに関係代名詞はいくつでもつづけていけるのでしょうか。 3つめのthatの前にカンマなど入れなくてもいいのでしょうか。何個でもこの後、カンマなしにthat~と 節をつくっていってもいいということなのでしょうか? どなたかお願いいたします。

• 並べ替えをお願いします!

並べ替えをお願いします! 1 私は明日までに2つの期末レポートを提出しなければなりません。 (by, turn, I, papers, tomorrow, in, must, term, two). 2 君が休みのときに、机の上にある君の電子辞書を使ってもいいですか。 (the, are, use, when, dictionary, can, on, off, your, I, you, desk, electric)? 3 彼女の代わりに君がそれをするのは当然である。 (it, should, is, her, it, instead, that, natural, of, do, you). 4 もし興味があるなら、私たちのプロジェクトに参加することができます。 (our, interested, join, you, can, are, if, project, you).

• よろしくお願いします

Seventeen years ago, I married into a wonderful family. Due to our jobs, we have never lived near any of my husband's family. But we try to get together every year and stay in contact via family emails. Something has perplexed me for the past few years. One of my husband's sisters remembers my son's birthday with a card and check, but neglects to send anything to my two daughters. a card and checkとは具体的にどのような物でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 和訳をしてくれませんか?

『Good evening/Morning Sweetheart, I woke to a wonderful dream with you...so happy to wake up like this! Looking forward to again waking up, holding you in my arms, so I can tell you instead of typing: good morning/evening my love I appreciate you and am thankful you are in my life...everyday. Somedays, I will make you breakfast & others make plans to go somewhere special to eat at places that are highly recommended. Know that you are in my thoughts and my heart each & every day, you are the best part of me & I Love You!!!』  長いですが、どうかよろしくお願いします。

• [英語]()に入るものを教えて下さい><

1. These books will give you () about the topic. (1) useful information (2) a useful information (3) an useful information (4) some useful information 2. You have to change () at the next station for New York. (1) train (2) trains (3) a train (4) the train 3. You can see a () of small fish in the river. (1) herd (2) flock (3) pack (4) school 4. () of the boys plays very well in the baseball game. (1) Each (2) Every (3) All (4) Some 5. I consider () necessary to meet him in a week. (1) it (2) one (3) this (4) that 6. This brand of coffee is different from () I usually buy. (1) one (2) the one (3) which (4) it 7. The twin sisters look so much alike that I can't tell one from (). (1) other (2) another (3) the other (4) others 8. I don't want () of these two dresses. (1) nothing (2) either (3) neither (4) none

• 困っています。

以下の英文が難しくて、日本語訳ができません。だれか教えてください。お願いします。 (1)Ozone in the Earth's stratosphere protects us from the Sun's most damaging rays. (2)Rowland and Molina believed that chlorine would mix with ozone on the surface of ice particles in the stratosphere and, when hit by sunlight, would eat away at this fragile protective skin, allowing the sun's ultraviolet rays to stream unblocked through the atmosphere, thereby damaging plant and animal health, causing skin cancer, and even threatening damage to our eyesight. (3)In 1984 a dramatic hole in the ozone layer was discovered above Antarctica, just as the scientists forecasted. 特に(2)ついては、chlorineが主語となっていて、付帯状況をしめす分詞構文が4つ繋がっている。これらはすべて【~して】や【~しながら】と訳す。 と書いてあるんですが、さっぱりわかりません。

• 前置詞 of の以下の用法について教えてください

次のpassageは高校英語検定教科書 Crown English Reading (New Edition)の第11課 ’Plenty of Room at the Bottom’ の本文冒頭の2つのparagraphです。 On December 29, 1959, Richard P. Feynman, a Nobel Prize winner in physics, made an epoch-making speech, the title of which was “There’s Plenty of Room at the Bottom.” In his speech, Feynman speculated on the possibility of exploring the world that exists “down at the bottom,” i.e., the world of atoms and molecules. He cautioned that he was not talking about miniaturization of, say, electric motors that are the size of the nail on your little finger, but rather a “staggeringly small world that is below.” He further predicted that in the future we would be able to make machines as small as molecules. Feynman’s ideas seemed strange at the time he made his speech in 1959, but today he is thought to be the father of nanotechnology, which is on the cutting edge of modern science. What is nanotechnology? What impact will it have on our lives? 私の疑問は第1段落の第3文: He cautioned that he was not talking about miniaturization of, say, electric motors that are the size of the nail on your little finger, but rather a “staggeringly small world that is below.” の…miniaturization of, say, electric motors…のofの用法についてです。 このofの用法は辞書に取り上げられるofの用法・分類ではどれにあたるのでしょうか? 《以下に補足します》 私は件の文全体の意味を 「彼は、(   )をしているのではない、と注意を促した。」 としたとき、( )内を以下のように考えました。 (1-a) 例えば、小指のつめの大きさの電気モーターのようなものの極小化の話 (1-b) 例えば、小指のつめの大きさの電気モーターのようなものを極小化する話 つまり、ofは目的格のofと考えたわけです。 ところが、このFeynmanの講演に関わると思われる文章を読んでみると、どうも上の私の最初の解釈は誤っているように思いました。該当箇所に近い部分を引用します。 What I want to talk about is the problem of manipulating and controlling things on a small scale. As soon as I mention this, people tell me about miniaturization, and how far it has progressed today. They tell me about electric motors that are the size of the nail on your small finger. And there is a device on the market, they tell me, by which you can write the Lord's Prayer on the head of a pin. But that's nothing; that's the most primitive, halting step in the direction I intend to discuss. It is a staggeringly small world that is below. In the year 2000, when they look back at this age, they will wonder why it was not until the year 1960 that anybody began seriously to move in this direction. (http://www.thenanoage.com/plenty-of-room-at-the-bottom.htm の第3、第4段落です) この部分を読んで私は、件の箇所を次のように解釈をしました。 (2-a) 例えば、小指のつめの大きさの電気モーターのように物を極小化することの話 (2-b) 例えば、小指のつめの大きさの電気モーターといった物の極小化の話   ただ、仮にこの(2)の解釈が大方間違っていないにしても、私にはこのofの用法がよくわからないのです。 いわゆる同格のofなのでしょうか? いくつか英和辞書を引きましたが、同格ofの用例は以下のように全て前の名詞に定冠詞theが付いていました。 the town of Shibuya (渋谷の町) a man by the name of Bill (ビルという名の男) the problem of population [not getting enough sleep] (人口[十分睡眠が取れないという]問題) (以上用例は『ウィズダム英和辞典』から) 同格のofという解釈にも無理があるのでしょうか? 結局よくわかりません。 最初に引用した件のofの用法についてご教示ください。よろしくお願いいたします。

• 早慶高校の入試問題解答を教えて下さい。

(1)また、別の時計がなくなったのが分かった。 was /watch/ discovered/another/missing (2)Nobody can tell the meaning of this word. The meaning of this word(   )(   ) told by(   ). (3)They say that he wrote this great novel. This great novel is said to(   )(   ) written by him. (4)彼女が求めるものを彼女に与えてください。 (   )her(   ) given what she asks. (5)誰が君に我々の大学までの道を教えてくれましたか。 was/ the way /our college /you /shown/by/ to/ whom? (6)私たちは、交通渋滞にあった。 We were(   )(   ) a traffic jam. (7)夜にはたくさんの星を見ることが出来る。 at/ be/ seen /many/can /stars (8)昨日なくした時計が誰かに拾ってもらえることを望んでいた。 I hoped that my watch I had lost yesterday was (   )by someone. ア.picked up it     イ.picked it up     ウ.pick up it   エ.pick it up (9)この絵は、高い値段で売れる。 This picture (   )at (   )a price. (10)聞けば誰でも必ず感動するように作られている曲はほとんどない。 are/ so /that /none /them/ few /without/ being/ songs/made/can/ hear/ moved

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

I am a married mother with two children, both in high school. But I am in love with a man who is not my husband of 21 years. "Harry" is my first love, and he came back into my life unexpectedly. He is also married. Neither of us is passionate or loving toward our spouses anymore. We both feel that we are growing apart from them. I am waiting for my children to finish high school before I make any final move. My husband still seems to believe we can be a happy couple, but I don't agree. He is unaware of my affair, but I can tell that he feels that I'm growing more distant from him every day. An additional problem, however, is that Harry seems to go through fits and starts about leaving his large family for me. Harry seems to go through fits and starts about leaving his large family for me. の和訳をよろしくお願いします

• WE8が出来なくて困ってます。よろしくお願いします

athlon64さんの回答を見て、接続は出来たのですが、LAN側IPアドレス設定の設定値の変更が出来ません。使用しているルーターはBUFFALOのBBR-4MGなのですが、IPアドレスの変更の仕方を教えてください。お願いします。