テキサスの友人との会話が理解できていません

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 私の英語力が低いので、テキサスの友人との会話が理解できません。
  • 友人との会話で使用される文法の一部である「than」の使い方について疑問を持っています。
  • 口語表現では一般的なようですが、南部の英語の特定の用法に限られるのでしょうか。詳しい方のアドバイスをお願いします。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

テキサスの友人との会話が理解できていません

私の英語力が低いのですが.... 私 Sometimes you use "than" at the end of sentence. So can you (omit) ? 彼 How? What's an example of that? 私 "If that's the reason than, you need to make me a promise". If you can omit that, why do you add that word?? How different is that? 彼 You omit "than" from the sentence "If that's the reason than you need to make me a promise".... you don't change anything in that sentence. 私 Is there a slight difference on expression? 彼 Nope わかったようなわからないような、友人の答えに狐につままれたままでいるような気分です。しかし"than"を付け加えることは口語表現において一般的なことなのだろうとも理解しました。それでもなおこれは南部の英語であって標準的な用法ではないという疑問もふつふつと湧いてきます。詳しい方などいらっしゃいましたら是非ご教示くだい。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

面白いやりとりですね。 ちょっと検索してみたら、次のサイトがヒットしました。ひょっとすると、そこに回答しておられる方の説明が、ご質問の場合にも適用されるのではあるまいかという気がいたしました。  http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q129495957 要するに、その方の言語習慣では、than = then なのではないでしょうか。 仮にそうだとすると、  If that's the reason than, you need to make me a promise.  → If that's the reason, then you need to make me a promise.   (もしもそれが理由なら、それならぼくに約束してくれなくちゃ) である可能性もあるのではないでしょうか。 「それでは前後のつじつまがあわない」 とおっしゃられる可能性があるとは思いましたが、ひょっとしたらと思って回答させていただきました。

Dongene
質問者

お礼

なるほど。サイトに目を通しましたが、歴史的背景があるという説明であれば、納得がいきます。ネイティブでも古文の知識がないとそういう説明ができないのでしょう。いや、溜飲が下がりました。今日からぐっすりと眠れそうです。ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• これ以上の幸せってある?英訳をお願いいたします

添削もしくは、英訳をお願いいたします! 1.これ以上の幸せってある? I couldn't be happier. There's nothing that could make me happier than this. 彼が優しい言葉をかけてくれて、それがすごく嬉しかった時は、 どちらのフレーズがいいですか?もしくは、これよりもっと適切なフレーズはありますか? 2.私、すごく幸せ It made me happy You make me (feel) happy. 彼の言葉を読んで、とても幸せな気分になった時です。 どちらのフレーズがいいですか?もしくは、これよりもっと適切なフレーズはありますか? You make me happy は重い言葉ですか? 3.なんて優しいの! How sweet! でしょうか? 4.なんて優しい人なの! What a sweet person でしょうか?? Thank you. That's really sweet of you to say. のほうが自然でしょうか? 5.地味なスカート a simple skirt でしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 和訳お願いします><

i wonder if we could go back like before there's a me that's still expecting but the more i expect the more it becomes painful so much that i cry i know how much i want to see you i really need you 和訳お願いします><

• 英会話 意味が分からないことが多いです。

how are you today? とはhow are you?と同じ意味でいいのでしょうか? あと2,3度会っているのにnice to meet you とあいさつされるのですがどういう意味なのでしょうか? In a nut shell, what happened at the meeting today? Can you make your own sentence using the phrase in a nut shell と言われたのですが、いったい何を簡潔に言えばよかったのでしょうか?

• 翻訳をお願い致します。

You're the voice of reason that I can't escape, Cut me down a thousand times a day I don't need you anymore I don't need you anymore I trusted you and there was no one else All you did was make me doubt myself Don't believe you anymore Don't believe you anymore

• 英会話の中でわからない英文があります

英会話の中でわからない英文があります A: Listen, I was thinking. How would you like some free legal advice? B:You want to be my lawyer? How long do you want to send me away for? A: I got way too big an ego for that. B: Oh. That's true. A: No. I wouldn't be representing you. I've got a friend who is a securities attorney. But I could help you put together the case. *how long do you want to send me away for *I got way too big an ego for that *put together the case ↑この3つの文の意味を教えてください

• すみません・・・・この文を訳してください。英会話で明日スピーチがあるの

すみません・・・・この文を訳してください。英会話で明日スピーチがあるので今日質問をしたら、当たり前ですが・・・英語でアドバイスを送っていただきました。明日までにスピーチを書かないといけないのですが、英語はあまり得意ではないので訳せません。これを見てくれた方はなんと書いてあるのか教えてください。 2. Consider things like, who pays for the treatment (it is very expensive)? 4. What about the baby.....if your mum was over 40 when she had you, she would be approaching 60 years old now.....how would that be for the child? 5. You could also give a bit more detail of the sort of technologies that could be used and how they work. For this assignment, you need to look at a range of issues, not just health. I also assume you have created a bibliography. Be sure that you can say all of the words in your speech. If you need help with this, ask me tomorrow and I will help you.

• 英語のお詳しい方、お願いします。

相手からの返事がよく理解できません。 Aが必要なのは理解できるのですが他にどんな事を仰っているんでしょうか? I need A for me to connect you to him, and how sure am I that I will get the payment after me giving you all you need? How can I be sure?

• 次の英文を翻訳お願いします。

Hmmm... I'm not sure if you are asking if I dislike men who make money on the stock market but that's how I'm going to take it. I feel that as long as the man is making a living and enjoys what he is doing than that's the right job for him. So no I don't hate men that make money that way. Your town sounds lovely from what I've read online. よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の内容がわかりません。

I can promise that i will think happy thoughts of you and might email you. if you ever need me for a dinner or a email or... you have but to ask. 私はあなたのうまいつきを考えて、あなたに メールするかもしれないと約束することが できます。 もしあなたが夕食かメールかその他の事で 私が必要とするなら、あなたはできますが、 しかし何がしてほしいのか尋ねさせて 下さい?? どこからどう訳していいのか、どういう気持ちで言ってる のかくみとれません。 少し省略してかいていますが、どなたか教えていただけます でしょうか?  宜しくお願いします。

• 翻訳してくださいm(__)m

日本語に翻訳してください。 (1)I'm sorry I love you so much. I will make up for being awful to you. And I didn't mean that you aren't better than my ex. You are way better than her in a million ways. I love you and would do anything to make you happy. (2)Hehehehe when I said that you would beat her it was you would beat using me as a toilet cus that's what she wanted and that would make her mad lol You gave me a heart attack. I started crying (at last!) You are the most amazing girl on the planet. I don't care how good your English is I will always love you (heart) (3)Like I said when we first started talking. If you ever see something I said that offends you please know that is not what I meant. I would never want to hurt you.