Cockburn ~:この文はどのように訳?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Cockburn agreed to free the doctor after reading the reports of good medical care given to his wounded men. However, he refused to allow Key, the doctor, or another person accompanying Key to return to land until after the attack.
  • Francis Scott Key witnessed the bombardment of Fort McHenry by shells and rockets. He saw the flag of his country flying over the city, representing the strength and pride of his state. He observed the enemy preparing to attack and heard the sounds of battle, signifying the brave and free defending against the invaders.
  • This passage discusses Cockburn's decision to release a doctor who provided good medical care to his wounded soldiers. However, the doctor and those with him were not allowed to return to land until after the attack. It also describes Francis Scott Key's experience watching the bombardment of Fort McHenry and taking inspiration from seeing the American flag waving over the city, symbolizing the courage and freedom of the defenders.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

Cockburn ~:この文はどのように訳?

#47 A National Anthem Is… 質問 06 この文章はVOAの一文です。 学習を目的に、訳してみました。 間違いを指摘して頂きたいと思います。 よろしくお願いします。 www.manythings.org/voa/history/47.html Cockburn agreed to free the doctor after he read the reports of good medical care given his wounded men. But Cockburn would not permit Key, the doctor, or a man who came with Key to return to land until after the attack. コバーンは、彼が、彼の負傷した部下たちに与えられる優れた医療の 報告書を読んで、その医者を開放することに同意した。 しかし、コバーンはキイ、医者、あるいは、攻撃の後、土地/陸/国に戻るために、キイと一緒に来た或る者を許したくなかった。 *to return to land until after the attack:untilの意味不明 *コバーンは医者をfreeにしたと述べた。続いて、would not permit Keyと述べている/意味不明。 Francis Scott Key watched as the shells and rockets began to fall on Fort McHenry. フランシス・スコット・キイは砲弾やロケット砲がマッケンリー前線基地に落ち始めた時、(それを)よく見つめた。 *Fort McHenry フォートマッケンリー/weblio→マッケンリー前線基地/ 呼び名が不安定 "I saw the flag of my country," Key said later, "waving over a city -- the strength and pride of my native state. I watched the enemy prepare for his assault. I heard the sound of battle. The noise of the conflict fell upon my listening ear. It told me that the `brave and the free' had met the invaders." 「私は、町にたなびく、我が国の旗- -我が母国の強さと誇りを見た。  私は敵が襲撃の準備をするのを見た。私は戦いの音を聞いた。戦闘による轟音が私の聞く耳を裂く。それは、“勇気と自由”が侵入者に立ち向かったのだと私に云った」。 *over a city 旗から市が見える、市のどこからも旗が見える./たなびく  /靡く(?) *fell upon my listening ear 私の聞く耳を裂く(?)/轟く、轟音 *”brave and the free”

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

1。  *to return to land until after the attack:untilの意味不明     しかし、コバーンはキイ、医者、キイの従者に、攻撃が終わるまでは上陸を許さなかった。     *コバーンは医者をfreeにしたと述べた。続いて、would not permit Keyと述べている/意味不明。     コバーンは、医者(Dr. William Beanes)の捕虜としての拘束は解いたが、上陸は許さなかった、と言う意味でしょう。     http://www.biography.com/people/francis-scott-key-9364165 2。     フランシス・スコット・キイは、砲弾やロケット砲がマッケンリー要塞に落ち始めたのを見た。 *Fort McHenry フォートマッケンリー/weblio→マッケンリー前線基地/呼び名が不安定 下記では「フォート」になっています。城塞、要塞、適当にどうぞ。 http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A9%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AF%E3%83%98%E3%83%B3%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC 3。     *over a city 旗から市が見える、市のどこからも旗が見える./たなびく  /靡く(?)     町の(頭)上にX旗がはためく=町はX国の掌握下にある。この情景がアメリカ国歌の歌詞に歌われたのはご存知の通りです。     *fell upon my listening ear 私の聞く耳を裂く(?)/轟く、轟音    耳を傾けて聞いている私の耳の上に落ちた(=聞こえてきた) *”brave and the free”    定冠詞 + 形容詞 = ~な人達(下記) http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/chick/further/adjs.html     勇敢な人達、自由な人達は(=我々は)侵略者を、打ち負かしたことを私に語った。 meet は、下記の6番(特に18番)の立ち向かう(そして互角に渡り合う)の意味です。     http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/meet_1

ara3393514
質問者

お礼

*that the”brave and the free” この、記述は that ”yhe brave and the free”ではないでしょうか。   ””の着け方が違う。 ただ、それだけのことですが、悩ましいことでした。  他はよくわかりました。

ara3393514
質問者

補足

*滅茶、難しい。 *読み直します。   

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.2

(1) まずBut Cockburn would~以降は「しかしコバーンは医者のキィやその同伴者の男を攻撃が終わるまで本国に還さないとした。」じゃないですか? permitは「許可する」という意味が基本で、何をコバーンが許可しないのかというとto return to land「(Keyやその男が)本国に帰ること」を許可しないのです。要するにpermit 人 to doの型になっているだけです。until after the attackは単に「攻撃の後」に継続的意味の前置詞untilが付いているだけなので、「攻撃が終わるまでずっと」。 (2) そこひっかかるとこなんですかね?それは日本語の呼び方であって、その英語が表す意味は誰の目にも明らかです。英語でも違うじゃないかと思うかも知れませんが、作家によって捉え方が違うので名称表記が変わることはしばしばあります。 それよりもwatchの目的語がどこにいったのかの方が気になりますが、おそらくFort McHenryが省略されてるんでしょうね。 (3) over a cityは街中に旗がはためいてるんでしょうね。アメリカ軍がイギリス軍の侵攻に備えて各所に配置されてるでしょうから旗もたくさんあるのでしょう。 fell uponはどこからその訳が出てきたのでしょうか。それでも意訳としては間違ってないと思いますが、ここはイディオムじゃなしに普通にmy listening earにfallしたってだけでしょう。fall は辞書の6~8番目にある「(突然)訪れる・来る」だと思います。 the brave and the freeはアメリカ軍のことだと思いますけど、訳すなら「勇気と自由」しかないと思います。the braveは一応辞書にアメリカ軍という意味がありますが、the freeの方は、多分ですけど、当時アメリカは自由の国の象徴でしたし、事実上のイギリス支配からの解放も意味していると考えられますから特に訳を変える必要もないと思います。 それ以外の訳に特に大きな問題がある箇所はないと思います。

ara3393514
質問者

補足

msnのお礼、補足、評価の区別がよく分かりません。   それはともかく、回答を拝見して、文章の読み方の   基本を改めて反省しました。 英語はかなりお詳しいようです。   しかし、言葉を辞書で確認される姿勢は、かなり、謙虚です。   これは、驚きです。 一連の質問は、こうした辞書を見る・読むといった   基本的な態度に問題があるともいえます。 これは貴重です。   ぜひ、他の質問にも、お答えいただきたいと思いました。 ありがとうございます。   

関連するQ&A

• Such an ~ ;この文はどのように訳

#47 A National Anthem Is… 質問 04 この文章はVOAの一文です。 学習を目的に、訳してみました。 間違いを指摘して頂きたいと思います。 よろしくお願いします。 www.manythings.org/voa/history/47.html Such an attack, he felt, might cause the Americans to fall back. But the British ships already had been firing since early morning at Fort McHenry. The British guns were more powerful than those of the fort. This let the ships fire from so far away that the American guns could not hit them. そんな攻撃で、アメリカが退却する(原因になる)かも知れないと、彼は思った。しかし、イギリスの戦艦は、マッケンリー前戦基地(ボルチモア近、星形砦)で早朝から、すでに、闘っていた。イギリスの銃砲は、そうした陣地(マクヘンリイ、米)のものより更に強力であった。 Shells and bombs from British mortars fell like rain over Fort McHenry. But few Americans in the fort were hurt or killed. Most of the rockets and shells exploded in the air or missed. Many of them failed to explode. イギリスの迫撃砲からの砲弾や爆弾がフォートマッキインリーに雨のように降った。しかし、陣地の中で、アメリカ兵は、殆ど負傷したり、亡くなったりしなかった。大部分のロケット砲や砲弾が空中で爆発するか(命中に)失敗した。その多くは爆発しなかった。  On a tall staff from the center of the fort flew a large American flag. The flag could be seen by the soldiers defending the city and by the British warships. The flag also was seen by a young American. His name was Francis Scott Key. 陣地の中央の高い棒の上で、大きなアメリカの旗が翻る。この旗はこの市を守る兵たちとイギリスの戦艦(複数)から見える。この旗はまた、 一人のアメリカ人からからも見えた。彼の名はフランシス・スコット・キイであった。 *一度、回答する部分をコピーして、回答欄に張り付けてから、 和訳毎に、間違いを指摘して頂けると、分かりやすく、助かります。

• All though ~:この文はいかに訳せば?

#47 A National Anthem Is… 質問 07 この文章はVOAの一文です。 学習を目的に、訳してみました。 間違いを指摘して頂きたいと思います。 よろしくお願いします。 www.manythings.org/voa/history/47.html All through the rainy day, the attack continued. Doctor Beanes, watching with Key, had difficulty seeing the flag. He kept asking Key if the "stars and stripes" still flew above the fort. Until dark, Key could still see it. After then, he could only hope. 雨の降る日だったが、攻撃が続いた。 医者ビーンズはキーと一緒に見つめながらも、旗を見ることが出来なかった。彼は、“星と縞”(星条旗)は、今も、前線基地の上で靡いているかどうかを、キイに聞き続けた。夕暮れになるまで、キイはそれを見ることが出来た。それを機に、彼は唯一希望を持てた。 *”stars and stripes”星条旗 Britain tried to land another force of men near the fort. But the Americans heard the boats and fired at them. The landing failed. Shells and rockets continued to rain down on Fort McHenry. At times, the fort's cannon answered. And Key knew the Americans had not surrendered. イギリスは基地近くのもう一つの部隊を上陸させようとした。しかし、アメリカ人は数々のボートの音を聞き、そして、それらに発砲した。 上陸は失敗した。砲弾とロケット弾がマッケンリー基地に雨のように降り続いた。ときどき、基地の機関砲(カノン砲)が応酬した。そして、キーは、アメリカが降参していないことを知った。 The British land force east of Baltimore spent most of the night trying to keep dry. Commanders could not decide if they should attack or retreat. Finally, orders came from the admiral: "Withdraw to your ships." A land attack against Baltimore's defenses would not be attempted. バルチモアに上陸を敢行したイギリス軍はその夜の大部分を、努めて、何事もなく過ごした/trying to keep dry。司令官は、彼らが攻撃すべきか退却すべきか、決めかねた。ついに、命令が提督から下された。「戦艦に撤退せよ」 バルチモアの防衛に対する地上攻撃は、行われなかった。 *would not be attempted 行われなかった/試されなかった。 

• この文の訳を教えてください。

"Nonsense," I told her. " He's a fine, happy boy and you know it." "But she is an expert in child care," Carolyn protested. "She must know." "Even experts can be wrong," I said. I told her of an incident that had happened to an editor I know. One cold morning a warning light in her car came on. She quickly stopped at a service station. "Don't worry about it," the mechanic who checked her car told her. "The light will go off as soon as the car gets warmed up." She knew the car, and knew the warning light had never lit up on any other cold morning——but the expert had said it was OK, so she drove on. It turned out that the radiator was frozen; she almost ruined the car. "I learned my lesson," she told me. "I should have paid attention to my own sense of the situation instead of listening to someone who was supposed to know." "And that's what you're doing with your son," I said to Carolyn. I was scolding her, but I was sympathetic too. The world has become so complicated that we're no longer sure of our ability to understand and deal with it. But common sense is as useful now as it ever was. No amount of expert knowledge can take the place of an intimate understanding of a person or a situation. At times you just have to trust your own judgment. It almost cost me my life to learn that. I was reading a book one day, scratching the back of my head, When I noticed that, in one particular spot, the scratching echoed inside my head. I rushed off to my doctor. "So think you've got a hole in your head?" He joked. "It's nothing——just a nerve." Two years later, and after seeing four doctors, I was still being told it was nothing. To the fifth doctor, I said almost in despair, "But I live in this body. I know something's different." "If you don't believe me, I'll take an X-ray and prove it to you," he said. Well, there it was, of course, a tumor as big as a golf ball. After the operation, a doctor stopped by my bed. "It's a good thing you're so smart," he said. "Most patients die of these tumors because we don't know they're there until it is too late." I'm really not so smart. I believe experts too easily. I shouldn't have listened to those first four doctors. It's hard to question opinions given with absolute certainty. Experts always sound so sure of themselves . この文の訳をお願いします!

• 英語の訳の一文 いまいち上手に訳せない

訳おねがいいたします。 my heart was full of joy to think of the fine surprise they would have when i revealed to them that i was their son, and that i had come back home laden with gold and welth.    以上です。大体は理解できるのですが上手に訳せません。お願いします。

• この文の構造と訳お願いします。

My father had a strongidea that half the disobedience of little children arose from wan of employment, and that they had a very early perception of the difference between amusing themselves and doing something that savedtrouble to others.

• 訳を教えてください!

Remember, I am not recording the vision of a madman. What I affirm is true: after days and nights of labour and fatigue, I succeeded in discovering the cause of generation and life. More! I became myself capable of giving life to inanimate matter! What had been the study and desire of the most learned men since the creation of the world was now within my power! 【But do not think, my friend, that I am going to communicate this secret to you. Listen patiently to my story and learn from my example how dangerous is such knowledge, and how much happier is that man who believes his village to be the world than he who aspires to become greater than his nature will allow.】 この【】内の文章の訳し方がまったくわかりません。わかる方訳を教えてください。お願いします!!ちなみに途中まで訳したのは以下のとおりです。 しかし、考えないでください。そして、私はこの秘密を友人に伝えるつもりです。 そして私の話を辛抱強く聞いて、このような危険な例から学ぶのはこのような知識です。

• 日本語訳をお願いいたします。

Allied fleets also played a role in coercing the Greek government to join the Allies and later supply the campaigns in Palestine and Macedonia. Although Germany was able to gain control of the Black Sea and part of the Russian fleet after the collapse of the Russian Empire, they were never able to break out into the Aegean. The German–Turkish fleet tried in 1918, but hit a minefield; the Breslau was sunk and the Goeben almost followed that fate, but the captain was able to run the ship aground and beach it before capsizing. The Goeben was not repaired until after the war. Allied fleets occupied Constantinople briefly after the Armistice of Mudros, until the new Turkish Republic under Mustafa Kemal took back control of the city in 1923. Allied ships did continue to intervene in Russia after the war ended, bringing expeditionary forces and supplies via the Mediterranean to the White armies in southern Russia.

• 文訳をお願いします。

長文で全くわかりません。どうかお願いします。 "More often than not, a woman's job outside the home is simply a means of earning a living until she is married or of supplementing the family income after marriage so that she can buy things for the house and the family that would not be possible on her husband's salary alone." 余談ですが、こんなに長い文だとSVOの文型はいくつくらい 使われているのでしょうか。

• 次の一文に出てくる「humming-stuff」の訳を教えてください。

英文で「But it lay not in the power of images, or sensations, or impediments such as these, to stay the course of men who, naturally brave, and at that time especially, brimful of courage and of "humming-stuff!"」という文があったのですがその中で「humming-stuff」という単語がどうしても分りません。色々調べた結果「ハミングがいっぱい」としかどうしても訳せません。英文に詳しい方で「humming-stuff」という言葉を知っている人いい訳し方教えてください。お願いします。

• At first ~;この文はどのように訳し?

#47 A National Anthem Is… 質問 08 この文章はVOAの一文です。 学習を目的に、訳してみました。 間違いを指摘して頂きたいと思います。 よろしくお願いします。 www.manythings.org/voa/history/47.html At first light of morning, British shells were still bursting in the air over the fort. The flag had holes in it from the British shells. But it still flew. The British shelling stopped at seven o'clock. Key took an old letter from his pocket and wrote a poem about what he had seen. 明け方を迎えて、イギリス軍の砲弾が前線基地の上空で、一層、炸裂していた。旗はイギリス軍の砲弾によって穴だらけになった。しかし、未だに、宙に舞う。イギリス軍の砲弾は7時に止んだ。 キイはポケットから古い紙を取り出し、彼が目にしたものについて詩に書いた。 *At first light;何事もなく過ごした夜の、明け方 *The flag had holes in it旗はその中に穴(複数)をあけた/穴だらけ *But it still flew しかし、未だに、それは宙に舞う。 *Oh,say 云えることは/のイメージでしょうか。 Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming? オー、云えることは、曙の薄明かりにあなたが目にするもの 何と誇らしく、我々は、薄明かりの中の最後の閃光に歓声を上げたことか? Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming? 広い縞模様と煌めく星は誰のもの? この危険な戦闘を経て、 防壁の上に、我々が見たものは、何と雄々しく、たなびいていることか。 *“?”はWhoseに対する問いでしょうか。 And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there. Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave? また、ロケット砲の赤い炎、空中で爆発する爆弾 我々の旗が、夜通し、依然として、そこにあったことを証明した オー、云えることは、星を散りばめた旗が未だに波打つではないか。 自由の地と勇者の故郷の上に *“?”の意味は“!”の感じがしますが? *4番まである *2行目:It gave proofでしょうか? *webに訳詞がありますが、直訳で考えてみたいと思います。