• 締切済み
  • 困ってます

和訳お願いします(長文です)

When Anne-Marie Slaughter wrote “Why Women Still Can’t Have It All” for The Atlantic, many (online and off) responded with an objection to the phrase. Men don’t have it “all,” either. We all make choices. Professor Slaughter responded, in The Atlantic online, that in some ways, she agrees: Rebecca Traister has convinced me to stop using the term “having it all,” in a thoughtful and quite brilliant piece she wrote for Salon arguing that the term makes women seem “piggy” and elitist. For my generation, women who came of age in the 1970s and entered the workforce in the 1980s, “having it all” simply meant that women should be able to have both careers and families in the same measure and to the same degree that men do. But what if “having it all” in this context means that both mothers and fathers should be able to have careers and families in the same measure and to the same degree — in the same family? Call it “having more.” Yes, parents of both sexes make choices. What’s troubling is the degree to which those choices still tend to be mutually exclusive (one career parent, one sidelined); the way those choices still tend to shake out by gender; and the way societal assumptions we never question support that shakeout. We make “choices” to accommodate those assumptions, and those are the choices we shouldn’t have to make. Consider the most basic problem for working parents: school. Even ignoring sick days and vacation, there’s a disconnect between school hours and work hours in any full-time job. We’ve accepted, and even internalized, the need to paper over that disconnect because having children is a choice (we ignore the fact that it’s a choice society needs some people to embrace). Having made their bed, parents are expected to lie in it — or at least toss in it, sleepless, and struggling with the next level of choices: who is on duty from 3 on, how, and for how much? これで1/3なんです・・・ 英語が苦手でこまっています。 どうぞよろしくお願いします。

共感・応援の気持ちを伝えよう!

• 回答数1
  • 閲覧数491
  • ありがとう数1

みんなの回答

• 回答No.1
  • sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5903)

アン・マリー・スローターが、アトランティック誌に「なぜ女性はいまだに全てを手に入れられないのか」を寄稿した時、多くの人々が、(オンラインでもオフラインでも)この表現に異論を持って反応しました。男性も、「全て」を手に入れている訳ではない。我々はみんな選択するのです。 スローター教授は、アトランティック誌オンライン版で、いくつかの点で、同意すると答えました: レベッカ・トライスターは、サロン誌に寄稿した思慮深い、とても素晴らしい論文で、あの言い回しは、女性を「意地悪な」エリート主義者のように思わせると主張して、私が「全てを手に入れる」と言う表現を用いるのをやめるように説得してくれました。私の世代、1970年代に成年に達して、1980年代に労働人口の仲間入りをした女性にとっては、「全てを手に入れる」は、単に、女性が、男性と同程度に、職業と家族の両方を持つことが出来るべきだと言うことを意味しただけでした。 しかし、もしも、この文脈の「全てを手に入れる」が、母親と父親が共に、― 同じ家族の中で ― 同程度に、職業と家族を持つことが出来るべきだと言うことを意味するとしたらどうでしょう?「もっと多くを手に入れること」とそれを呼びましょう。確かに、男親、女親、双方が、選択を行うのです。厄介なのは、どの程度、その様な選択が、いまだに、相互に排他的な傾向(一方が職業を持つ親で、他方が補助的な親)を持つかです; また、どの様に、そうした選択が、いまだに、性別によって振り分けられる傾向があるかです; そして、どの様に、我々が決して疑わない社会通念が、そうした振り分けを支持するかなのです。 我々はそうした通念に対応するために「選択」をするのです、そして、それらは我々がする必要がない選択なのです。 働く両親にとっての最も基本的な問題 ― 学校 ― を考えてみましょう。 病欠と休暇を無視してさえ、学校の時間と常勤の仕事の時間には、連携の悪い面があります。我々は、その様な連携の悪さを取り繕う必要があること受け入れ、自分のものとしてしまってさえいます、と言うのは、子供を持つことが選択であるからです(それが、社会が一部の人々に受け入れることを要求する選択であるという事実を、我々は無視します)。 ベッドを整えて、両親はそこに横たわることになります ― または、眠れずに、少なくともベッドの中で寝がえりを打つことになります、そして、次のレベルの選択と苦悩するのです: つまり、誰が、3時からの(子供の世話)当番をするのか、どうやって、どのくらい世話をするのかと悩むのです。

共感・感謝の気持ちを伝えよう!

質問者からのお礼

回答ありがとうございます! 本当にたすかりました! 残りも自分でがんばってみたのですが、自信のない部分が多いくてこまってるので、最後のほうの和訳もおねがいしてもよろしいでしょうか?

関連するQ&A

• 和訳をお願いします!!!!!!

Our message is intended primarily, for men and women 40 and older, a diverse group that's beginning to confront a variety of life changes, some of them good and some not always for the better. On the downside, we 40-and 50-somethings are beginning to confront for the first time our own vulnerability; we're getting a bit gray at the temples and beginning to fret about it; we're having more and more trouble fitting into those blue jeans that may have been quite loose 15, 10, or even 5 years ago.

• 英語和訳お願いします

The lesson goes something like this: we can have an ordinary life if we make the same choices others make or we can have a richer, more the satisfying life if we take risks and chose to be different.

• 和訳をおねがいします

長文の途中ですが、訳のとりかたがわからなかったので、 和訳をお願いします(><) The starting point for a better life is discovering that we have choices. Sadly, many people never make that discovery. They live in a country that offers a lot of freedom of choice, yet they live like prisoners, trapped by circumstances. I'm always amazed at some of the excuses people come up with for not taking advantage of life's opportunities to make new choices: not enough money, no time, wrong conditions, poor luck, lousy weather, too tired, bad mood, and the list gose on. But the truth is that they just don't see their choices. It's like being locked up somewhere and having a key in your pocket that'll set you free, but never using it simply because you don't know it's there. You have more choices than you ever dreamed possible. The key is knowing that they're there―every day of your life. We live by choice, not by chance. It isn't what happens that's most important. It's how we deal with what happens. It's what we choose to think and we choose to do that are most important.

• 和訳をお願いします。

In 2005,Kentucky Fried Chicken(KFC)-of all places-conducted a comprehensive study of personality . Using KFC customers as subjects and different barbecue sauces as test factors, KFC’s research revealed a direct link between flavor preference and personality. For example, people who prefer the sweet and tangy Honey BBQ sauce are “winners who do not accept defeat and have little tolerance for other’s foolishness”. Customers who choose the hotter Sweet and Spicy sauce, on the other hand, are outgoing, flamboyant people who enjoy taking risking put exciting new experiences at work, at play, and in romance. Although we perhaps shouldn’t take KFC’s findings too seriously-it is, after all, a commercial come-on-the results coincide with a well-known fact in psychological circles: that our personal preferences tell us a lot about who we really are. This is backed up by a recent study led by Professor Adrian North of Scotland. Researchers asked 36,000 men and women of all ages from all over the world to rate different musical styles. Then the subjects took detailed personality tests. Jazz fans proved to be creative, sociable, and verbally gifted, classical music buffs were thoughtful and quiet, and country music lovers were diligent, friendly, and dependable. The big surprise was heavy metal fans. While the conventional stereotype sees them as dangerous to themselves and society, North’s study found them to be gentle and “quite delicate.” As Psychology Today puts it: “We consume books, music, and visual art primarily to fulfill the internal emotional needs that are visual fundamental to our personalities. But we also make such choices based on a desire to crave out identities. But we also make such choices based on a desire to carve out identities for ourselves-to articulate the stories of our lives. By the same token we look for those stories in others….and intuitively feel that we can judge others by their tastes. Unfortunately, those judgments are often wrong”

• 翻訳をお願い致します!

I felt like we were really dragging the brand through the mud, I did not want to end up like a classic rock band. Even though we were ‘classic’ we lasted where other bands had not. I wanted us to still be relevant, and to remain relevant you have to remain creatively relevant. To do that, you have to still make records. So I felt like we needed to take some time off and make a record. I was under the impression that was how everyone felt, because after having a few conversations with guys in the band, I felt we were all in that same place and same mode. Then nothing ever happened, we didn't get together and start working on music. So it goes on and on.”

• 和訳をお願いします

和訳をお願いします 1 Children develop greater dependence on others by having pets. 2 More freedom is one of the benefits of pets ownership. 3 Taking care of pets helps young people build character. 4 Those who have pets find it more difficult to make friends. 5 Animal shelters are to blame for abandoned cats and dogs. 6 Families with pets should move to rural areas. 7 Owning pets is an bligation that should be taken seriously. 8 No steps should be taken to limit the reproduction of cats and dogs. 9 In their own way,our pets taken care of us just as we take care of them. 10 Senior citizen who have pets tend to keep to the themselves. 11 Studies show that HAVI pets may have an unfavorable impact on health. 12 We have many chances to meet with others to discuss our pets health. The editors would like to thank everyone who submitted opinions for this week's column,and we regret That we didn't have space print all of your letters. 長くてすみません(>_<)

• 和訳をお願いします。

この文章の和訳を教えてください。 My wanderings in life has always told me that sterotype behaviour is learned and fickle...the real person is always hiding within too scared to appear in fear of rejection....and we all have those same fears...so perhaps we can all sterotype our fears as well....others lay in ignorance to their real self....probably because they are fightened of who they are and they mask the truth of themselves... 拒否されることに対する恐れから本当の人格を隠そうとしてしまうっていうことなんでしょうか? 単語から大体内容はつかめてる気はするのですが、細かく読み取れません。 どなたか教えてくださるとうれしいです。

• 和訳お願いします。

“The finest and happiest years of our lives,” he spoke on in triumph. &#65374; But what I still can't figure out is why I never got tired and why I never felt better in my life. I guess the answer is, we were fighting for survival, protecting and providing for those we loved” He went on setting me straight. “In this business of getting it made, it's not the great moments that count. It's the partial victories, the deadlocks, the waiting ― even the defeats. If we are ever unlucky enough to have it made, then we will be spectators, not participants. It's the journey, not the arrival, that counts in life.” 上記の和訳をお願いしたいのですが… 自力では曖昧なところが多くて>< 宜しくお願いします。

• 和訳をお願いします。長いです‥

和訳をお願いします。長いです‥ When we met it was so nice, but it's not the time we spend together that was like a dream ... it's you ... you are a dream ... and when I think of you or when I look at your picture ... it gives me a happy feeling, but also such an empty feeling, because we're so far apart and I don't know when we can meet again. If it's possible for us to meet again I will make it happen ... it doesn't matter if I need to travel to Japan ... go to the US ... I'll even fly to the moon just to meet you ... But if we can choose ... maybe we should choose a place that not so warm as Osaka in summer :) On my flight back I indeed got a very nice view of Fuji-san ... I'm sorry that the photo doesn't show how nice it really was. Did you go half way? It must really be nice! Actually do you want to go all the way to the top? Yes let's do that ... you and I, together we can walk all the way to top of mount Fuji and enjoy the view ... But we have to wait till July or August next year ... Do you know I followed a mountain climbing course and I climbed some summits in the Alps (Austria, close to the Italian border). And I also climbed Mount Meru (4566 meters) in Tanzania ... that's the mountain next to the Kilimanjaro (the highest mountain of Africa). So I was on the top of Mount Meru during sunrise. Only Kilimanjaro and Mount Meru were above the clouds and then ... the sun was rising from behind the Kilimanjaro ... soooo nice ... I got tears in my eyes. ... next time we meet or the time after that or after that ... I'll try to make it special for you ... so that you can say it was like a dream ... just like you are special for me and I can say you are like a dream for me ...

• 和訳お願いします

People fell so, and know so, and say so. There is no glossing over or “greying” of the facts, as often seems to happen in japan. In the same way, Europeans are strongly aware of justice; and indeed, nowadays the legal systems of almost every country in the world are modelled ont the humanity of Christian justice. As regards attitude to women, the Christian concept of chivalry has always given high priority to respect for and the protection of women.That is why most male Europeans, until more recently, have followed the practice of “Ladies first”. As modern women have clamoured for greater autonomy and power, however. man's natural chivalrous instincts have, quite naturally, declined. If women want to wear the trousers, so to speak, they must fend for themselves. よろしくお願いします。