• ベストアンサー

意訳と文法の説明お願いします。

as a means to an end, but rather as an end in itself. なんとな~くわかるのですが、説明しろと言われると、全然だめです。 どなたかお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

う~ん、その前に、not とかありませんでしたか? そうだったら、not を含めて、 「何らかの目的を達成する手段として、ではなく、むしろ、それ自体を目的として」 ということになりますが… ご存じだとは思いますが、means は、方法・手段、 この場合のendは、目的・目標の意味なので、 上の訳のようになり、使い方の例を挙げると、 例えば、「僕がサーフィンを好きなのは、やってればモテるから、なんていう目的のためじゃなくて、サーフィンそのものが楽しいから好きなんだ」ということを伝えたい場合、 I like surfing not as a means to an end, but rather as an end in itself. のように言うことができます。

mabodofu4u
質問者

お礼

あったかもしれません。Not. 例文と説明ありがとうございます。 わかりやすいです。

関連するQ&A

• 文法的な説明をお願いします。

次の文章をどのように文法的に解析したらよいか分かりません。 Liberty and freedom not given man as a free gift but as a right and a responsibility to be earned if he deserves it , is worthy of it , is willing to wark for it by means of courage and sacrifice , and then to defend it always. どなたかお願いします。freedomに not given man as a free gift but as a right and a responsibility to be earned がかかるのかな?と思ったんですが、文法的な解析が出来ません。

• 和訳を教えてください

下記の文章の後半の訳がわかりません。 どなたかよいアドバイスをお願いします。 I was asked to comment on the first paragraph of the World Broadcastin Union's declaration, a section which states that information technology is not an end in itself, but rather a means to an end. Clearly, the secret is in the content - the information that validates, that brings to life the technology, and not the other way round. この文章の Clearly, 以下の和訳についてどなたか良いアドバイスをお願いします。 ちなみに 文頭の the first paragraph は、第一節 と訳してよいのでしょうか・・・ ここも合わせて教えていただけると、大変たすかります。 よろしくおねがいします。

• 和訳、できれば文法的説明もお願いします

She looked up as she heard his footsteps, and the gracious smile which her lips put on, was an invitation to make himself happy in a seat beside her. But he resisted the blandishment, and lifting his hat as he passed, with a smile in return, he soon disappeared from her presence, and joined the two who awaited him. 上の文の和訳をお願いします。 the gracious smile which her lips put on (彼女の唇がおいた優しい笑顔・・・?) an invitation to make himself happy in a seat beside her 等々よくわからないのです。

• なんと説明したら良いでしょうか?

下記の文なのですがなんと説明したら良いでしょうか? 英語でお願いします! それで、彼女はとてもさびしく思っています means "and she misses them very much." But I don't understand this part " さびしく思っています" I know that " さびし" means lonely and I guess that "思って" is wonder(?). But there is a KU in that and anyway... could you explain this to me? よろしくお願いしますm(._.)m!

• 英文の説明をお願いします

Japan is like a creature that has become much too large for its old protective shell of isolation. Unable to grow a new and bigger shell under modern conditions, it must devise new means to protect itself. Internationalization is obviously the only means Japan has to continue its prosperity and survive in peace. 一文目のthatの用法とthat以下の文の説明、 省略された文法事項など教えてください。 また、他にも大事なところがあれば、教えてください

• この文の意味を教えて下さい。

この文の意味がわかりません。 Education is not an end, but a means to an end. 一体これはどういう意味なんでしょうか。 わかる方いましたら、是非ご教授ください。 ちなみにこの後には、 In other words, we do not educate children only for the purpose of educating them; our purpose is to fit them for life. と続きます。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 文法の説明

By keeping that end clearly in mind, you can make certain that whatever you do on any particular day does not violate the criteria you have defined as supremely important, and that each day of your life contributes in a meaningful way to the vision you have of your life as a whole. 頭にはっきり目的を保つすることで, どんな特別な日でも行うことが何であれ あなたが最高に重要と定義した基準に反さない そして あなたの生活のそれぞれの日が 意味ある形で 全体としての生活の あなたが持つ ビジョンに 貢献する という 確信を あなたは得ることができる. 自分なりに直訳してみました。 この important は形容詞? 最後の部分の of your life と as a whole は vision にかかる前置詞句として捉えるのでしょうか? 直訳に間違いがあればお願いします。 また、分かり易い意訳が思い付きましたら併せてお願いします。

• 意訳をお願いします

8.4.1 Inversion Preserves Angles Between Lines Suppose AB and CD are two lines in the plane that intersect at the point P. If they are inverted in a circle with center O, we will show that the resulting gures make the same angle with each other. The easiest case is if O, the center of inversion, happens to be the same as P. Since both lines pass through the center of inversion, they are transformed into themselves so their images trivially have the same angle between them. If the center of inversion is not on one of the lines (but it may be on the other), then the line that does not contain the center will be inverted to a circle passing throughO. Suppose O is not on AB. Consider the line OX passing throughO that is parallel to AB . Under inversion, OX is transformed transformed into itself (since it passes through the center of inversion), and AB is inverted into a circle K passing through O. Then OX must be tangent to K, since it touches K at O, and if it intersected K in more than one place, OX and AB would intersect, which is impossible since they are parallel. If O is on CD, then CD is inverted to itself, and its angle with OX is clearly unchanged (OX is also inverted into itself). But CD makes the same angle with OX as with AB since they are parallel, so the inverses of AB and CD make the same angle. Finally, if O is on neither line, then both AB and CD are inverted to circles that meet at O, and the lines tangent to those circles at O (OX and OY in the gure) are parallel to the original lines, so they make the same angles as did the original lines.

• 説明お願いします

The fact, however, that in the past I did most of my work without my own library I regard as advantage rather than a disadvantage. このthatの用法教えてください また、なぜin the pastが先にきているのかということも合わせて説明お願いします。

• 英語の訳の問題です

Los Angeles is unique unto itself;but unique in a special way that makes it strangely familiar to an English academic of my generation and experience. but以下がよくわかりません。 よろしくお願いします。