Ms. Wasserman Schultz Declines Invitation, Protesters Show Discontent

このQ&Aのポイント
  • When Ms. Wasserman Schultz declined the invitation on Sunday evening, a group of occupiers marched to the hotel to show their discontent, but left when the police arrived.
  • The protesters returned on Monday afternoon with a dozen people prepared to get arrested.
  • The organizers believed that Ms. Wasserman Schultz was blowing them off and wanted to make a statement.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英訳についてご意見お願いします☆短いです

下記の英訳についてご意見お願いします。恐縮ですが回答者様の英語のレベル/実務経験等も併せて教えていただけますと大変さんこうになります。よろしくお願い致します。 When Ms. Wasserman Schultz declined the invitation on Sunday evening, saying she was unavailable, a group of occupiers marched to the hotel to show their discontent, but left when the police arrived, according to protest organizers. 日曜の夜にミス・ワッセルマン・シャルツが、都合が悪いと言う事でその招待を拒否した時、オキュパイアー達は不満を表明するためホテルに向かって行進した。だが抗議行動の主催者によると、警察が着いたときには去っていた。 ※(Convinced Ms. Wasserman Schultz was blowing them off,) they returned Monday afternoon with a dozen people prepared to get arrested. ()彼らは月曜の午後に12人の逮捕される準備のある人達と戻ってきた。 ※()内が分かりません。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.2

死んだ振りをして抗議をした12名が警察官に逮捕される・・・ Convinced Ms. Wasserman Schultz was blowing them off, they returned Monday afternoon with a dozen people prepared to get arrested. S+V+Cの第2文型を分詞構文にだけです。 例題として: Born two hundred years ago, he would have succeeded to the throne. →If he had been born two hundred years ago, he would have succeeded to the throne. Wounded and tired, he continued to work. →Though he was wounded and tired, he continued to work ↓ As they are convinced that Ms. Wasserman Schultz was blowing them off, they returned Monday afternoon with a doen people prepared to get arrested. blow offは無視をする。 http://eow.alc.co.jp/blow+off/UTF-8/ be convinced that http://eow.alc.co.jp/convinced+that/UTF-8/ Ms~が彼らを無視をし続けると確信をしたので、彼らは、逮捕されるつもりで抗議する12名と共に月曜の昼下がりに舞い戻ってきた。

その他の回答 (1)

• speglo
  • ベストアンサー率47% (167/353)
回答No.1

問題は、このスト―り―の内容がわからないとblowing offの正確な意味がつかめないということです。blow off は「吹き飛ばす」「蹴散らす」ですが、なぜこの婦人がOccupier(何の占領者なにかもわからない)に招待されていて、なぜ彼らを、吹き飛ばす必要があるのか、要するに、彼女が行きたくなければ、そう言えばいいのでは?また、占領者たち(何に対してプロテストしているかも不明)がなぜ、ホテルに向かって行進するのかもさっぱりわからない、状態で、blow off というと、彼女は、「Schultz婦人が自分たちを無視していると確信して・・・・」でいいでしょう。blow off と言う表現は、ここではあまり上手い表現ではありません。 Convinced that she was ignoring them, that she was paying no attention to them, that she was discharging their claim, とかいくらでもいいようはあります。私はネイティブです。

cheese1301
質問者

お礼

なるほど、原文はNYtimesからの記事の引用だったのですが、ネイティブの人が違和感がある表現を使っているとは、興味深いです。前後の文をのせていないため文脈がわからないですよね、すみません。

関連するQ&A

• 英語のジョーク(?)だと思うのですが

某SNSの投稿で以下のような英文が投稿されていました。 直訳自体は簡単な文章なんで問題ないのですが なにが面白いのかよくわかりません。 わかる方教えてください。Bubblesになにか意味があるのでしょうか? (なおTOEICで800以上取ったことがあります) -------------------- There were these 3 frogs in a pond when all of a sudden the police came and arrested them all. When they went to court the Judge asked the 1st frog "What's ur name?". The frog u replied "Frog". The Judge asked "What were u arrested 4?" "I was just blowing bubbles in the pond" Frog replied. " Case dismissed" the Judge said. In comes frog #2 "what's ur name ?"says the judge. He replies "Frog Frog" and "what were u brought in 4?" the Judge asked. "I was just blowing bubbles in the pond". "Case dismissed" said the Judge. The third frog was brought in and asked the same question. The Judge stops his answer and says "Let me guess Frog Frog Frog !" "No " the third frog replied "I'm Bubbles" ------------------------------ 参考までに、この投稿に対しての反応はこんな感じでした。 「nice one」 「that's too cute LMBO」 「LOL nice」 以上宜しく得お願いいたします

• 誤文訂正問題の答えあわせをお願いします。

Coffee and tea was served to people attending the morning session of the meeting, while in the afternoon cold refreshments were served. 1.was 2. attending 3. while 4. cold The value of the dollars declined as the rate of inflation raises. 1.of the dollars 2. declined 3. as 4. raises They have frequently done business together when they graduated from the same college. 1.frequently 2. when 3.graduate 4. the same 一問目は「Coffee and tea 」を「bread and butter」のように単数扱いしていいのでしょうか?それとも「朝の会議に出席していた」だから、attendingをattendedに直せばいいのでしょうか? 二問目はおそらくraisesがおかしいと思うのですが、 どう直せばいいのでしょうか?raiseでしょうか? 三問目はwhenをsinceに直して、同じ大学を卒業して 以来という感じにするのが適当でしょうか? どなたかお願いします。

• どなたか英訳をお願いいたします。

下記英訳を宜しくお願いいたします。 I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused . I see that a refund for order #******** was initiated by your Seller on September 01,2012 in the amount of GBP 8.14, and appears to be processing normally. This refund should be applied to your payment card within 4-6 business days. You should have received an e-mail informing you of this. In this case, a refund can be considered an order cancellation by the Seller. Whenever payment for a Seller order has been successfully submitted and then refunded, the order details will continue to appear in Your Account for your reference. When payment for an order is not completed, for example, if the credit card is declined, the cancelled order won’t appear in Your Account. If you have any further questions, please get in touch by replying to this e-mail. If you prefer to call us, we're available 7 days a week 06.00 to midnight, local UK time.

• 高校の文法問題

お願いします。 The men in the mines stop working when they hear the whistle ( ) a)to blow b)blew c)blow d)was blowing There seemed to be something ( ) a)he wanted done b)he wanted it done c)what he wanted done d)that he wanted it done

• 翻訳お願いします

Although the hotel was up to code when it was built, the renovations fell short of the code at the time they were carried out. (japan timesより) 先日の広島県でのホテル火災の記事です。code の意味が解りません。よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英訳でわからない部分があります。

テロ対策についての長文を訳していて分からない部分があったのでおしえていただきたいです。 「It is believed that the bombs were triggered by text messages sent by mobile phones attached to the explosives. And at least 20 people were killed and others wounded when the Baghdad hotel serving as the United Nations headquarters was hit by a large truck bomb in the summer of 2003.」 1つめの文は、爆発物がとりつけられた携帯電話でメッセージが送られることによって爆弾が爆発すると信じられている、でいいでしょうか? 2つ目の文は、servingをどう訳したらいいかわかりませんでした。

• 英訳をお願いいたします。

【至急】英訳の確認・訂正・作成をお願いいたします! こんばんは。 ホテルルワンダを見て、感化されたことを文章にしたいのですが、 英訳が難しく、ご教授お願いします。 英語が書いてあるところは自分で考えたのですが、 間違っているようでしたら全部訂正していただいても構いません。 ===以下==== ・2006年、私は1994年にルワンダで実際に発生したルワンダ虐殺テーマにした「ホテルルワンダ」という映画を見ました。 ※ In 2006, I watched the movie "Hotel Rwanda" which was made based on true story during the Rwanda Genocide in 1994. ・その映画の一コマに、「ルワンダに滞在する外国人ジャーナリストが撮った市内での虐殺の映像を流せば、それを見た世界の人々がルワンダに対して必ず何か行動(助け)をしてくれる」と信じているルワンダ人と外国人ジャーナリストのやり取りがあります。 ・そのルワンダ人に対して、そのジャーナリストはこう返します。「世界の人々はあの映像を見て、『こわいね』と言うだけで、ディナーを続けるよ」。 ※「世界は人々の~~~、ディナーを続けるよ」→ "I think that when people turn on their TVs and see this footage, they'll say "Oh my God, that's horrible" and then they'll go back to eating their dinners." ・私はこのシーンに激しい衝撃を受けました。なぜなら、私もディナーを続ける人々の一人だったからです。 ・私はこの時、将来的に平和に関する仕事に就くことに決めました。私はそのような映像を見て、ディナーを続けるのではなく、行動を起こせる人になりたいのです。 ===以上=== どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語の問題

1:l saw a horse () cost was brown. (1)which (2)its (3)whose (4)that 2:There was no comment from the two ladies () l thought were sure to protest. (1)of whom (2)who (3)whom (4)whose 3:l never saw Brando again () was a pity. (1)which (2)what (3)whom (4)where 4:John insulted Mary, () l would never do. (1)that (2)which (3)who (4)where 5:() is often the case with her she broke her promise. (1)When (2)As (3)It (4)There 解答と和訳お願いします

• 和訳お願いします

長文でごめんなさい。 和訳お願いします。 I convinced myself that people in Japan could speak English. If they couldn't, I was planning on teaching it on them so that I wouldn't have to learn Japanese. Almost immediately upon my arrival on that cold, wet July day, I realized, when nobody spoke English, that learning Japanese might be a good idea. In spite of what I understood logically, I made very little if any effort to do so. On one level, I wanted to be included in the culture, but on another, I felt comfortable remaining outside it. I was also convinced that it would be almost impossible for me to learn Japanese.

• ____にあてはまる英語教えてください

____にあてはまる英語教えてください 1. The teenager was arrested for _______________ driving, 2. They have ____________________ a campaign to raise \10 million for the child to go to the States for a heart transplant. 3. I left __________________ when he refused to shake hands with me. 4. The man is suffering from ________________ tuberculosis. 5. He ________________ this afternoon while he was playing golf with his customers. 6. The professor is too strict; I wish he could be a little bit more ________________ with his students. 7. The Japanese police have been rather reluctant to ________________ in domestic conflicts. 8. He _______________ all he had just eaten.