• ベストアンサー

和訳お願いします

In 1958, a mailman named James Todd brought the diamond to its present home at the Smithsonian Institution. Soon after, his wife died and his house burned down.

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

こんばんは 訳は以下のようなものになるのではないかと思われます。 ・・・・・・・・・・・ 1958年に、ジェームズ・トッドという名の郵便配達人は、そのスミソニアン協会本部にダイヤモンドを届けました。 まもなく、彼の妻は死にました、そして、彼の家は焼け落ちてしまいました。 ・・・・・・・・・・・ 英語は多義性が多いため、「present」の訳は前後の、特に前の部分の文脈を見てみなければ分かりません。 もしこれが、スミソニアン協会の発行している文章であったりすれば、「present home at the Smithsonian Institution」は「当スミソニアン協会本部」になると思います。 そうでなければ、「現存のスミソニアン協会本部」になるでしょう。 「present」を贈り物と訳すのは、文の構成上あまり可能性として考えられないように思います。

tkdmgm
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます! わかりやすく解説も付けていただいて! またお願いしますo(^-^)o

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (1)

• sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.1

1958年に、ジェームズ・トッドという名の郵便配達人が、スミソニアン協会のその現在の居場所にダイヤモンドを持ってきました。 まもなく、彼の妻は死にました、そして、彼の家は焼け落ちました。

tkdmgm
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます! またお願いしますp(^^)q

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 和訳お願いします

Francis Hope's wife left him. Evalyn McLean's husband became ill. James Todd took the diamond to the Smithsonian Institution. The Hope family bought the diamond.

• 英語の問題です。

英語の問題です。 ある公務員試験の過去問に以下のような問題が出題されたのですが、解答がないため理解できません。皆様方のお力をお借りできないでしょうか。 「父親が死んで間もなく、彼は店をたたんだ」という日本語に対する英訳で、 「Soon after his father died,he closed out the store.」が正しいかどうか。 正解は正しくないそうなのですが、何が正しくないのか分かりません。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 和訳お願いします

Yuri soon found the animal's body leaning against a store in a nearby town. (While he was away, his cousin had sold it to the store owner for two snowmobiles.) Dogs had eaten part of the tail and ear, but overall, it was still in "as close to perfect condition as you can imagine," says scientist Daniel Fisher. With help from the police, the body was taken by helicopter to a museum. The animal was a baby mammoth, and scientists called it Lyuba, after Yuri's wife.

• 15-1 お願いします

日本語訳を!!  In 1819,a young man named James Prinsep boarded a ship near his home in Essex,England,and set sail for India,half a world away.His father,John,had made the family's fortune manufacturing indigo there 40 years earlier,and James had grown up listening to his father's romantic stories of the faraway kand.James had raced through his educatiom as quickly as he could,eager to get to India and see it for himself.Now 20 years old and fully qualified as an architect,he was at last on his way.  John Prinsep,James's father,had brought the first Western-style coin-making machinery to India in 1780 and manufactured copper coins to make doing business easier.(Before this,each India state had made and used its own hand-stamped coins.)James got a job in Calcutta at the mint his father had estabtlished.He was good at his job.He reformed the system of weights and measures and introduced a style of coinage that came to be used by the entire country.  In his spare ime,James became interested in archaeology.His love for old coins and enthusiasm for anything to do with ancient India was contagious.Many Englishmen living in India began to study Indian history more seriously(including a young man named Alexander Cunningham,the same Alexander Cunningham who would later discover the ruins at Harappa.)Soon James had friends,both English and Indian,sending him old coins and copies of inscriptions from all over India.  James spent hours admiring the portraits of long-for-gotten kings that decorated his old coins.Some of his oldest coins dated from the time of Alexander the Great,when the Indo-Greeks ruled northern India and Pakistan.Those coins had inscriptions in ancient Greek on one side,which he could decipher.But the meaning of the inscriptions on the other side,which were written in a mysterious squiggly alphabet scholars called Brahmi,baffled him.He thought they probably repeated the Greek information,but until someome could read Brahmi,there was no way to be sure.

• ...gone to live...の訳(センター試験)

Old Fred Ford had gone to live with his daughter, Kate, and her family shortly after his wife, Mary died.  (センター98本試験) という文章の「had gone to live」の訳がどうも引っかかります。 赤本には、「フレッド=フォード老人は妻のメアリーが亡くなってまもなく、娘のケイトおよびその家族と一緒に暮らすようになっていた。」 というように「暮らすようになっていた」とありますが、なぜこうなるのかイマイチよく分かりません。文法的に、語法的に詳しく説明してくださる方はいらっしゃいますでしょうか? (推測では、goの意味(もしくはgone?)が「行く」という意味よりもむしろ、「なる」的な意味があるのではと睨んでいます。ただ、go to do~のdoが「なる」という意味が存在することは全く知りません。 それかただ単に、「住みに行ってしまった」でいいのでしょうか?でも何か変ですよね。) よろしくお願い致します。

• 英文の和訳をお願いします。

Thursday’s death of Qaddafi, two months after he was driven from power and into hiding, decisively buries the nearly 42-year regime that had turned the oil-rich country into an international pariah and his own personal fiefdom. It also thrusts Libya into a new age in which its transitional leaders must overcome deep divisions and rebuild nearly all its institutions from scratch to achieve dreams of democracy. "We have been waiting for this historic moment for a long time. Muammar Gaddafi has been killed," Prime Minister Mahmoud Jibril said in the capital of Tripoli. "I would like to call on Libyans to put aside the grudges and only say one word, which is Libya, Libya, Libya." Other leaders have fallen in the Arab Spring uprisings, but the 69-year-old Gaddafi is the first to be killed. He was shot to death in his hometown of Sirte, where revolutionary fighters overwhelmed the last of his loyalist supporters Thursday after weeks of heavy battles. Bloody images of Gaddafi's last moments raised questions over how exactly he died after he was captured wounded, but alive. Video on Arab television stations showed a crowd of fighters shoving and pulling the goateed, balding Gaddafi, with blood splattered on his face and soaking his shirt. "We want him alive. We want him alive," one man shouted before Gaddafi was dragged off the hood, some fighters pulling his hair, toward an ambulance. Later footage showed fighters rolling Gaddafi's lifeless body over on the pavement, stripped to the waist and a pool of blood under his head. His body was then paraded on a car through Misrata, a nearby city that suffered a brutal siege by regime forces during the eight-month civil war that eventually ousted Gaddafi. Crowds in the streets cheered, "The blood of martyrs will not go in vain."

• 和訳をして欲しいのですが…

After Chris died,Frank thought,"There must be manymore unhappy children who are suffering from serious illness. Can we fulfill their wishes as we did for Chris?" Thus,the Make-A-Wish Foundation was started. The Foundation has a lot of foreign branches today. Tommy and Frank now work for the Foundation. Linda is also busy speaking in many parts of the country. Since the Foundation was started ,it has fulfilled more than 110,000 wishes of children withserious illness. Among those wishes were:visiting a fun place such as Hawaii or Disneyland,appearing in a TV commercial,playing with a cute animal such as a dolphin,meeting an NBA star player,getting a tree house,and so on. Thanks to the Foundation,many sick children got back their will to live, and some of them even got over their illness. It allbegan with Chris'dream. Thought it has been a long time since Chris died,his big smile will live on forever.

• 至急!日本語訳をお願いします!

1)the founder of a health resort known for its raw food restaurant 2)why after eating a cooked meal, many feel heavy, tired and lacking in energy 3)If a man tells his wife, for example, that marrying her has made all the difference, 1文だけでも構わないので日本語訳をお願いします! よかったら文法の解説を加えてくださると助かります。

• 英語の文章と訳があります。和訳は正しいですか?

After Sekigahara, Ieyasu immediately attended to the important matter of titles. Fortunately for him, Yoshiaki, the titular Ashikaga shogun, had recently died; and although the authentic genealogy of the Tokugawa house did not stretch back beyond the fifteenth century, Ieyasu had little difficulty claiming appropriate Minamoto lineage to take the title of sei-i-tai-shogun for himself and his descendants. The court meekly issued the formal letter of appointment towards the end of 1603. Ieyasu was shogun for only two years, since in 1605 he arranged for the title to be passed on to his son, Hidetada. He lived on for another eleven years, and in his ostensible retirement was as busy as ever, but he preferred to watch over the affairs of the nation and his house, rather than be concerned with details of routine administration. 和訳 関ヶ原の合戦ののち、家康はすぐに関心を向けた称号という重要な問題に。幸いなことに将軍職を持っていた足利義昭がごく最近亡くなったのです。徳川家の正当な系譜は15世紀をさかのぼることは無かったが、家康は彼自身とその子孫が征夷大将軍の地位を得るための正当な源氏の流れであることを宣言するのに何の困難もなかった。朝廷は従順に1603年の暮れ(将軍宣下する旨の)勅令を出した。1605年に息子の秀忠に位を譲ったので、家康が将軍だったのは2年間だけだった。隠居した後、11年間存命だったが、表向きの引退をして以降も相変わらず多忙を極めたが、幕府運営の些事に関わるよりも国家や幕府の行く末を見守ることを好んだ。

• 和訳してもらいたいです

The sun was just coming up. I was in my sleeping bag, still half-asleep. Suddenly I heard an animal approaching. I slowly raised my head and looked over my feet. A female lion was coming toward me. I wanted to wake my wife Delia but I was afraid to move, because we were now on the open fields of the Kalahari. The lion walked past us to a bush ten feet away, and lay down next to a big male lion. Delia was wide awake now, and whispered to me, “Mark, look at the scar on his leg. Isn’t that Bones? ” Yes, it was the lion we named Bones. I had performed surgery on his broken leg a few years before. Turning my head, I saw lions sleeping around us, nine in all. We were in bed with a group of wild lions! Even after having lived on the Kalahari for five years, it was still a surprising and wonderful experience. (1)What did Mark hear when he was in his sleeping bag? (2)What did Delia see on the lion’s leg? (3)How many lions were sleeping around Mark and Delia? 和訳して(1)(2)(3)の問題に英語で答えてもらいたいです。