トーマス・キャリルの定義する歴史とは?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 歴史を要約された新聞と定義したトーマス・キャリルの考えについて
  • トーマス・キャリルの定義する歴史とは一体何なのか
  • 京都大学の問題で出題された英文の翻訳を教えてほしい
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

<京大英語>

下記の英文は、京都大学で出題された一節です。 This was what Thomas Carlyle had in mind when he defined history as a kind of distilled newspapers',though of course he thereby ignores the task of checking and interpretation that historian uses to turn those records into an organised whole. これは、歴史をある種の要約された新聞の一種であると定義したとき、トーマス・キャリーが思っていたことであった。・・・・・以降の和訳が出来ません。 英語に精通されている方、和訳を教えて下さい。 宜しくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • cincinnati
  • ベストアンサー率46% (606/1293)
回答No.1

これはトーマス・カーライルによれば歴史というのは蒸留された新聞のようなものであると彼が定義したときの心のうちにあったものである、もちろん彼はその点に関して歴史家がそれらの複数の記録をひっくり返して整合性のあるひとかたまりにするために用いる調査と自分なりの解釈を述べる作業をともに無視しているのだが、

その他の回答 (1)

• hrsmmhr
  • ベストアンサー率36% (173/477)
回答No.2

もちろんそうすることにより歴史家がこのような記録を使って一つの世界を構成することを チェックし、読み替える作業を無視することに繋がるのだが 歴史が新聞の切り抜きのようなものとして定義した時に、 そのことをトーマス・カーライルは心した。 最初のThisが指し示すものは、前の方に書いてあると思います

関連するQ&A

• 歴史学者

参考書ふうの正直な和訳をお願いします。 The facts are really not at all like fish on the fishmonger's slab. They are like fish swimming about in a vast and sometimes inaccessible ocean; and what the historian catches will depend, partly on chance, but mainly on what part of the ocean he chooses to fish in and what tackle he chooses to use — these two factors being, of course, determined by the kind of fish he wants to catch. By and large, the historian will get the kind of facts he wants. History means interpretation. * E. H. Carr, What Is History?

• 穴埋めについて

上下の文が同じような意味になるように()に適語を入れるという問題です。 和訳は[]、解らない部分は??と書きました。 ()があっているか、と、和訳に補足をお願いしますm(_ _)m 注意はしていますが、誤字があったら指摘をお願いします(汗 -------------------- 1.They were building a new museum at the center of the city. =A new museum (was) (built) (??) at the center of the city. [新しい博物館はその街の中心に建っていた。] 2.He listened carefully so that he might not miss a single word. =He listened carefully so (as) not to miss a single word. [彼は1つ1つの単語を聞き損わないように注意深く聞いた。] 3.Thomas promised me to come here as early as possible. =Thomas promised me that (??) (??) come here as early as possible. [トーマスは私にできるだけ早くここに来ると約束した。] 4.It goes without saying that nobody knows what will happen tomorrow. =(Needless) (to) say, nobody knows what will happen tomorrow. [言うまでもなく、明日何が起こるかは誰も知らない。]

• 難しい(と思っている)英文解釈について質問です。

Knowing, as the reader of the story, that it ends happily, he ignores the fact that the hero in the story does not know it is going to end. 上記の文のKnowing~happilyまでの文法・解釈がイマイチよくわかりません。 和訳が「物語の読者は、読者として話が円満に終わることを知っているので~」となっているのですが、よくわかりません。。 詳しい方いましたら教えて下さい。 よろしくお願いします”

• 英語

1:The day will soon come () everybody uses a computer. (1)the way (2)when (3)where (4)which 2:That story reminds me () l went to ltaly. (1)of where (2)where (3)when (4)of when 3:The people present were worried about Betty because no one was aware () she had gone. (1)of where (2)that the place to (3)that the place was (4)of the place to 4:We have a lot of holidays during the week from the end of April to she beginning of May. () we call it Golden Week. (1)That's why (2)That's because (3)It is the reason for (4)It is what 5:() you talk reminds me your father. He also had a good sense of humor. (1)The way (2)When (3)Which (4)Why 解答と和訳お願いします

• 和訳お願いします(>_<)

和訳お願いします(>_<) Is there plenty of time available for language learning to take place, plenty of contact with proficient speakers of the language? Does the learner receive corrective feedback when he or she uses the wrong word, or does the listener usually try to guess the intended meaning? お願いします(>_<)

• 英語の長文の和訳をお願いします。

途中、並び替えや空欄があります。(A)にはsaying,linguistic,way,somethingが、(B)にはwhich,what,how,whereのどれかが入ります。お願い致します。 Human beings learn to communicate with each other through nonlinguistic means as well as linguistic ones. All of us are familiar with the saying, “It wasn´t what he said ; It was the way that he said it”when, by using the word (A), we mean something about the particular voice quality that was in evidence, or the sat of a shoulder, or the obvious tension in certain muscles. A message may even be contradicted by the accompanying tone and gestures, so that each of “I´m ready,”“You´re beautiful,”and“I don´t know where he is”can mean the opposite of any literal interpretation.  Often we experience difficulty in pinpointing exactly (B) in the communication causes the change of meaning, and any statement we make as to the sources of the discrepancy between the literal meaning of the words and the total message communicated is likely to be expressed in extremely impressionistic terms. It is likely to refer to something like a sparkle in a person´s eye, or a “threatening”gesture, or an “insulting”manner.  We are likely to make similar impressionistic statements about communication between members of different cultures. Sometimes we remark that Frenchmen “talk with their hands,”Japanese “smile”on inappropriate occasions, and American Indians are “stone-faced.”As a result, (tend,people,we,stereotype,to,who) come from other linguistic and cultural backgrounds on the basis of impressions about their language, gestures, customary movements, and uses of space. 以上です。

• 英文の和訳の問題です。3

キリスト教英語の問題で、トーマス・オーデンの書いた聖書解説の文章が解りません。 It would have been more worthwhile to inform him by confession of the things that were wrong with himself instead of keeping his wounds secret and having the nerve to crow over the scars of others. 1行目の inform him の『him』 は誰か、が問題です。この文章の前に、He came to a doctor. がありますので doctor ではないかと思います。和訳は、(罪の告白よりも痛みを医師に話すほうが価値がある)のような雰囲気ですが、難しいです。ここにも省略とかありますか。どなたか教えてください。 明日の朝見ますので今日はもう寝ます。

• 翻訳をお願い致します

英文の和訳をしていただけるかたのみで お願いできますでしょうか? 少し抽象的かもしれませんが どうぞよろしくお願いいたします Unfortunately he has a tendency to swear, He likes obscenities much better than blasphemies and he mutters these things to himself, in a dry hissing breath when he think no one can hear. He drops something he swears to himself. Disorderly speech. He makes mistakes in speaking and writing uses the wrong word, without seeming to notice. But he likes to talk and his voice expresses an exaltation of the spirits and mirthfulness in its tones. He can tend to laugh at serious remarks, or make light of serious things said to him. He can go from the rational to the irrational in rapid succession and back again. There is something of the tone of a bugle or a high pitched trumpet in his voice. The same if he is moaning there is still the trumpeting tone.

• Antonym of "Saint Thomas"

Some of my friends call me Saint Thomas, because they say I am like him. the Apostle who would not believe the resurrection of Jesus until he saw Jesus with his own eyes What do you call person opposite of Thomas who easily believes anything ? As far as I observed Japanese they are easily-believe type. Easy to wash brain. Once they go into a sect of religious or political group, they are instantly brain-washed and become fanatic. Many Japanese including some of my frinds became fanatic without becomming Saint Thomas. What disgusted me was that their fanatic activities are often against peple's welfare. I want to know an English word for the person who does not try to see things with its own eyes, accordingly believes things too easily.

• 英文の和訳で困っています 和訳を助けてください

英文の和訳で困っています 和訳を教えていただきたいです よろしくお願いします!! Moreover, its location at a busy crossroads two streets north of the forum was well suited to advertise the cult and, with it, the munificence and political correctness of the donor. The land on which the temple was built formed part of Tullius’s private property, and he was fortunate to be able to turn this circumstance to advantage. Another prominent citizen of the Augustran period was M.Holconius Rufus, who held all the chief posts in the local administration, acted as a priest of the imperial cult, and like Tullius was rewarded by the emperor with a grant of the military tribute. During his third tenure of the duvirate, i.e., not long before 2 BC, the year of his fourth tenure, he and his fellow duovir, C. Egnatius Postumus, built a wall which obstructed the lights of houses adjacent to the Sanctuary of Apollo. An inscription found in the sanctuary records the compensation paid to the householders who were affected.