• 締切済み

下の文章なんですけど、うまく訳せません。

下の文章なんですけど、うまく訳せません。 直訳でいいので教えてもらえませんか?あと、おかしいところがあれば指摘していただけると助かります。 The house seems important to me, if only to the extent that it was neglected その家が忘れられた範囲でありさえすれば、私にとって重要なことのように思える。 ―symptomatic of a state of mind that, otherwise inaccessible, そうでなければ近づきがたい心理状態の症状というのは、無意識の行動の具体的なイメージになって現れた。 manifested itself in the concrete images of unconscious behavior. ―以下のotherwise のところが特にわかりません。 ―以下の文章ってOtherwise inaccessible, symptomatic of a state of mind that manifested itself in the concrete images of unconscious behavior. ということですか? あと「-」ってどうやって訳すんでしたっけ? 長々とすみません。よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数3

みんなの回答

回答No.4

symptomatic は symptom の形容詞形,(be) symptomatic of ~で「~を示して」の意味です。 「気持ちを表していた」 a state of mind「気持ち」を関係代名詞 that 以下が修飾。 「そうでなければ表れていない,無意識の行動の具体的なイメージとなって現れた気持ち」 otherwise inaccessible は関係代名詞 that が表す a state of mind の説明。 あくまでも関係代名詞節内で説明していますので, Otherwise inaccessible, symptomatic of a state of mind ~とはできません。 ― は通常,前に書かれた内容の言い換え,あるいは補足説明です。 ここでは that manifested と過去形になっていますので,it was neglected の説明でしょう。 「家がなおざりにされていた。このことは,そうでなければ表れていない,無意識の行動の具体的なイメージとなって現れた気持ちを示している」 it was neglected の部分は only to the extent that につながっていきますので,日本語できちんと訳そうと思うと骨が折れます。 英語というのは,どんどんと後ろへ伸びていくので,英語のまま理解していってください。

回答No.3

symptomatic は symptom の形容詞形,(be) symptomatic of ~で「~を示して」の意味です。 「気持ちを表していた」 a state of mind「気持ち」を関係代名詞 that 以下が修飾。 「そうでなければ表れていない,無意識の行動の具体的なイメージとなって現れた気持ち」 otherwise inaccessible は関係代名詞 that が表す a state of mind の説明。 あくまでも関係代名詞節内で説明していますので, Otherwise inaccessible, symptomatic of a state of mind ~とはできません。 ― は通常,前に書かれた内容の言い換え,あるいは補足説明です。 ここでは that manifested と過去形になっていますので,it was neglected の説明でしょう。 「家がなおざりにされていた。このことは,そうでなければ表れていない,無意識の行動の具体的なイメージとなって現れた気持ちを示している」 it was neglected の部分は only to the extent that につながっていきますので,日本語できちんと訳そうと思うと骨が折れます。 英語というのは,どんどんと後ろへ伸びていくので,英語のまま理解していってください。

回答No.2

if only to the extent that it was neglected 「たとえ、それ(家)がなおざりにされていた程度だけだとしても」 過去に家のことを軽視していた。 その程度はどれくらいか、これだけではわかりません。 そして、今は重要に思っている。 といっても、大いにというわけではなく、せいぜい、それまで軽視していたのと同じ程度。 軽視・重要視と方向は逆ですが、その絶対値は同じ程度ということです。 otherwise については後ほど。

• spring135
  • ベストアンサー率44% (1487/3332)
回答No.1

A otherwise Bと考えるとB=inaccessible、Aは何かということですが A=neglectedでしょう。ただ、neglectの内容がよく解りません。 忘却するか、接近を拒絶するかという、心理的な症状のことのようです。

関連するQ&A

• この文章の和訳をお願いします。

Fig.4. Magnified figures of one of the discontinuous bands in 1.915<b_i~<1.925 in Figs. 3(a) and (b). There are many fine discontinuous bands in itself. Fig.5. Examples of particle orbits which belong to the discontinuous bands in Fig.4.  (a) and (b) are of particles which escape from the Hill sphere through the gate of L_1 and through that of L_2, respectively. The values of b_i~ are 1.91894 (a) and 1.91898 (b). Fig.6. Examples of purely Keplerian orbits with e_i~=4 for b_i~=2 and b_i~=10. The former curls (|b_i~|<4(e_i~/3) and the latter waves (|b_i~|>4(e_i~/3)). The values of δ* of both orbits are zero. ↓Fig.4. http://www.fastpic.jp/images.php?file=0045805708.jpg ↓Fig.5. http://www.fastpic.jp/images.php?file=9845810934.jpg ↓Fig.6. http://www.fastpic.jp/images.php?file=0162323295.jpg どうかよろしくお願いします。

• 「~の」のinとof

If one does not criticize a form of behavior in oneself or vow to stop it, then one should not criticize that form of behavior in another. ここのinも~のという場所のinだと思いますがofでないのはどういう違いからですか?

• 下の英語の文章を訳して下さい。

Professor William Kingston of Trinity College, Dublin claimed, "There's no doubt at all about it that the Royal Navy and the British government have taken very considerable steps over the years to try to prevent whatever can be found out about the Lusitania". The wreck of Lusitania lies on its starboard side at an approximately 30-degree angle in roughly 305 feet (93 m) of water, 11 miles (18 km) south of the lighthouse at Kinsale. The wreck is badly collapsed onto its starboard side, due to the force with which it struck the bottom coupled with the forces of winter tides and corrosion in the decades since the sinking. The keel has an "unusual curvature" which may be related to a lack of strength from the loss of its superstructure. The beam is reduced with the funnels missing presumably due to deterioration. The bow is the most prominent portion of the wreck with the stern damaged by depth charges. Three of the four propellers were removed by Oceaneering International in 1982. Expeditions to Lusitania have shown that the ship has deteriorated much faster than Titanic has, being in a depth of 305 feet (93 m) of water. When contrasted with her contemporary, Titanic (resting at a depth of 12,000 feet (3,700 m)), Lusitania appears in a much more deteriorated state due to the presence of fishing nets lying on the wreckage, the blasting of the wreck with depth charges and multiple salvage operations. As a result, the wreck is unstable and may at some point completely collapse. There has been recent academic commentary exploring the possibility of listing the wreck site as a World Heritage Site under the World Heritage Convention, although challenges remain in terms of ownership and preventing further deterioration of the wreck. Between 1931 and 1935, an American syndicate comprising Simon Lake, one of the chief inventors of the modern submarine, and a US Navy officer, Captain H.H. Railey, negotiated a contract with the British Admiralty and other British authorities to partially salvage Lusitania. The means of salvage was unique in that a 200-foot (61 m) steel tube, five feet in diameter, which enclosed stairs, and a dive chamber at the bottom would be floated out over the Lusitania wreck and then sunk upright, with the dive chamber resting on the main deck of Lusitania. Divers would then take the stairs down to the dive chamber and then go out of the chamber to the deck of Lusitania. Lake's primary business goals were to salvage the purser's safe and any items of historical value. It was not to be though, and in Simon Lake's own words, "... but my hands were too full"—i.e. Lake's company was having financial difficulties at the time—and the contract with British authorities expired 31 December 1935 without any salvage work being done, even though his unique salvage tunnel had been built and tested.

• 下の文章を翻訳していただけませんか?

下の文章を翻訳していただけませんか? 流れは大体つかめるのですが、日本語の文章にまとめきれなくて困っています。 Fortunately for Sato, he had just such a policy. That allowed sand a gift -a copper beer mug- to 130 people in all, including colleagues in his company, business associates and his private golfing friends. Now, two months after the dreamlike episode, he says: ‘’ It was a really happy event. But I find the custom a little strange. I’ve heard that some people even try to hide the fact that they scored an ace for fear of the consequences. That’s a great shame considering that a hole in one is like a miracle that golfers should be very proud of.’’

• 英文についての質問

Do states limit their use of violence to legitimate purposes? という質問があり、答えになりそうな文章を抜き出しました。 But no state always confines itself only to legitimate violence. More precisely, the government of the state is made up of individuals, and inevitably some of those individuals, in seeking their political ends, will employ violence outside the bounds of the rules. つまり「国家は常に合法的な暴力だけに限られている」ということですよね? ということは答えは「Yes」でいいのでしょうか? Yes, no state always confines itself only to legitimate violence. こちらの回答でいいでしょうか? よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳お願いします。

It is no exaggeration to say that it is in the search for new and better sources of energy,starting with animal,wind and water power and up through the development of the internal combustion engine,hydroelectric dams,and nuclear reactors,that man's ingenuity has manifested itself most prominently and his understanding of the natural world most significantly deepened. コンマで続く文をどうやって訳せばいいか分からずできません よろしくお願いします

• To hold otherwise ~ について

In any matter of which the public has imperfect knowledge, public opinion is as likely to be erroneous as is the opinion of an individual equally uninformed. To hold otherwise is to hold that wisdom can be got by combining many ignorances. この英文のTo hold otherwise is to hold that wisdom can be got by combining many ignorances.は、 "To hold otherwise "は"to hold that wisdom~である"と言っていると思うのですが、 (前文から続くと思われる)otherwiseの意味の取り方がわかりにくいです。 解説をよろしくお願いいたします。

• It is locations

下記の文中のIt's locations は文法的に正しいですか。 There are locations だとしっくりくるのですが。 よろしくお願いします。 It's locations in this city that spring to mind when you picture scenes or images in his novels. --補足-- 【前の文】 Portsmouth may have been the city of Dickens' birth, but it was London where he spent much of his later childhood and adult life. It's locations in this city that spring to mind when you picture scenes or images in his novels. 【出展】 VOA: http://www.voanews.com/english/news/arts-and-entertainment/200th-Anniversary-of-Dickens-Birth-138809179.html

• 英語おしえてください(>_<)

(1)~(3)まで教えてください。 Another idea of psychoanalysis is that all neuroses come from the unconscious part of the mind. This idea led to the belief that, it ((1)) thoughts a re made ((2)), usually the neuroses will disappear. If neuroses were to be treated by bringing thoughts out from the unconscious, then a way had to be found to reach into the ((3)). Freud found one approach to reaching the unconscious that became an important part of psychoanalysis ー an approach he called free association. Patients were asked to let their thoughts wander and say whatever came into their minds. He wanted to hear all memories, dreams, and wishes of his patients. As they spoke, he found they remembered painful memories from the unconscious ー memories that had long kept hidden.

• 教えてください!!

The accident itself is bizzarre not only because of the behavior of the company, but also because a facility that handles life threatening materials is allowed to be set up by authrities right next to homes. この訳がテストに出るのですがわかりません。どなたか教えてください。