Emergency ambulance service overwhelmed by calls from elderly alone

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Emergency ambulance service is being overwhelmed by calls from family members of elderly people living alone who are suffering from high temperatures and serious symptoms of influenza.
  • The phrase 'being placed' in the given English sentence is used to describe the action of placing calls for emergency ambulance service. It is a present participle phrase that functions as a passive verb form to indicate an ongoing action.
  • The use of 'being' with '-ing' in 'being placed' showcases the continuous nature of the action happening to the ambulance service. It highlights that the service is continually receiving calls from family members of elderly people.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

下記英文について

下記英文について Many of the daily calls for emergency ambulance service being placed this season come from family members of elderly people living alone who are suffering from high temperatures and serious symptoms of influenza この英文中のbeing placed なのですが、どういう役割なのですか?文法的にどのようになっているのか教えていただきたいです。意味だけでなくなぜbeingのようにingがついているのか?宜しくお願い致します。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

この call は「要請」という意味の名詞で,call for ~ing で「~することを求める要請」となります。 そして,call for being 過去分詞だと「~されることを求める要請」です。 be 過去分詞という受動態を ing 形(動名詞)にすると being 過去分詞です。 emergency ambulance service は動名詞の意味上の主語で 「緊急の救急車の出動が place されることを求める要請」 この place は日本語だと「据える」が一番近いと思います。 「置く」が基本だけど,さまざまな意味になり,「配置する,仕事につかせる」のような意味になり,今回では「~出動がなされる」で通じます。 とにかく,この being は be placed という受動態が ing 形になったものです。 この前に名詞がくると,名詞を後ろから ing が修飾(いわゆる現在分詞の限定用法)と見かけは同じですが,この ing は前の名詞にかかるというより,前置詞 for につながるものであり,ing の前の名詞は主語として「~が(されること)」と理解するのが的確です。

gklkjoo
質問者

お礼

とっても分かり易いです。ありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (2)

noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.3

名詞の後に置く分詞で前の名詞を関係代名詞を置いたように修飾する分詞があります。文法的にはその変形と理解しています。 The ship arrived is Queen Elizabeth II. The ship just arrrived is Queen Elizabeth II. The ship being arrived is Queen Elizabeth II. 意味と読み方は、 The ship which is being arrived is Queen Elizabeth II. と関係代名詞を宛がったと同じです。 質問文は之とおなじ働きで、calls若しくはserviceを修飾する分詞の変形になると考えます。 英文は頭から読み進めるという考え方からすれば、serviceを修飾しているのかもしれません。 placeにはarrange意味があるたので http://www.thefreedictionary.com/place http://www.google.co.jp/search?hl=ja&lr=&client=opera&rls=en&q=%22service+being+placed%22&start=10&sa=N ambulance service which is being arranged by emagency crews this season. と置き換えれば分かりやすくなるかもしれません。 calls を修飾しているならば calls, for emergency ambulance service, which are being placed by family members this season と考えるのかな。 どちらにしても今シーズンの間に毎日鳴り続ける、または毎日出動サービスをし続けるニュアンスをだすときに使う進行形の受身文と同じと考えます。 ところで、最初の例題ですがgoogleで調べると I saw the train/jet/airplane/ arrived. とは言えても I saw the train/jet/airplane being arrived. のように船より早い乗り物にはbeingを使わないようです。 たぶんarrivedと言う過去分詞がそうさせるのかもしれません。

gklkjoo
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。

• tjhiroko
  • ベストアンサー率52% (2281/4352)
回答No.2

place a call to ~「~に電話をする」、place an urgent call to ~「~に緊急の電話をかける」という意味ですので http://eow.alc.co.jp/place+call/UTF-8/ 今回の場合、being placed はcalls にかかり「今シーズンかけられた(かかってきた)救急車要請の毎日の電話」とつながるのではないでしょうか。 being placed をwhich were placed と置き換えてもいいかと思います。

gklkjoo
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• わからない英文があります

"We see in the first shot that the worker's zipper is down. Isn't it a sad fact that the flaws in daily life should prevent reality from being the best version of how things really are?' この英文の意味を教えてください。

• 英文を訳せる方いらっしゃいませんでしょうか?

Nichola is not alone. For three in 100 people, health anxiety severely disrupts their lives. One in 10 British people becomes periodically over-anxious about symptoms and accounts for about a fifth of total consultations with local doctors. 上の英文を訳せる方いませんか? 教えてください。 お願いします。

• 英文を訳してください

英文を訳してください strange is our situation here upon earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to divine a purpose. From the situation of daily life, however, there is one thing we do know; that man is here for the sake of other men- above all for those upon whose smile and well-being our own hapiness depends, and also for the countless unknow souls with whose fate we are connected by a bond of sympathy. お願いします

• 英文について質問

To be able to cover ourselves from the possibilities of liability lawsuits,we have been advised by our legal department that warning signs should be placed,concerning the possibility of slipping on wet floors. (賠償責任で訴えられる可能性から我々自身の身を守るために、床が濡れているためすべる危険性があるという警告を表示しておくべきだと、我々はわが社の法務部から忠告を受けている。) 質問1:that warning signs should be placed,concerning the possibility of slipping on wet floors. の英文について、何故concerning~の英文の直前にカンマがあるのですか?これは一体どういう働きをしているのですか? 質問2:concerning the possibility of slipping on wet floors.は、warning signsを説明していますが、何故warning signsの直後に置いて修飾しないんですか? この理由は、「修飾語句や節が、大枠の文の終わりに比べて長い場合は、先にその大枠の文の終わりを書いてから、その後ろにその修飾語句や節を書く」と云う英文の原則があるからですか? この英文では、大枠の文の終わりであるwarning signs should be placedよりconcerning the possibility of slipping on wet floors. の方が長いから、後ろに持ってかれているということですか?

• この英文の一部でわからないところがあります

In her first year in Germany, Tawada slept over nine hours a day to recover from all the new experiences and difficulty of learning German. Even today, German is hard for her, but she enjoys the challenge. "German is now my daily language, and I can express my feelings clearly," she explains. "But when it comes to writing, I still have trouble. Yet learning a language is a lot of fun because the words are new and fresh. This gives you a sense of freedom. It is almost like being a child again." 最後のIt is almost like being a child again.という英文はどういう意味ですか? あとこの英文のagainはどういう役割をしていますか? わかる方教えてくれないでしょうか?

• 英文を訳したいのですが、、、

There is also much to be said for the self-confidence that comes from being able to appear on stage in front of hundreds of people. という英文で、訳は「何百人もの人々の前で舞台に上がることができるということから生まれる自信にも、多くの利点がある」だそうです。 なんとなくそんな風になるのはわかるのですが、" to be said for"の部分が、訳の中でどんな役割を果たしているのかがイマイチわかりません。 どなたか、よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の訳

英文の訳  次の英文を訳そうとしています。 The dissociation of phenyl iodide is observed with both time-of-flight mass spectrometry, TOF-MS, and laser schlieren, LS, diagnostics coupled to a diaphragmless shock tube for temperatures ranging from 1276 to 1853 K. ここで、diagnostics以下がどうつながるのかが分かりません。diagnosticsそのものも、辞書で引けばdiagnosis「診断」と同意だ、とありますが、すっきりしません。ちなみに、diagnostics以前は、 「ヨウ化フェニルの解離を、飛行時間型質量分析法、TOF-MSおよびレーザシュリーレン、LSの両方で観測した。」 と訳しました。レーザシュリーレンについて詳しくないので、そのことかもしれませんが、どなたか訳をお願いします。

• 英文の邦訳をお願いします。

I have always regarded his statements in regard to the Treatise as unreliable. The effect of the violent disappointment he had about that was to arouse a complex in him which prevented him from being sensible on the matter for the rest of his life; his chief object being to cover up and to excuse. On looking into Birkbeck Hill I find that I am not alone in attributing this side to his character. Hill writes on page viii of his preface: “Hume, with a levity which is only found in a man who is indifferent to strict truthfulness. . .”. 上記英文の邦訳をお願い致します。

• 英文解釈について(><)///

下記英文解釈について教えていただきたいです。よろしくお願いします♪ (1-37)A slice of bread represents centuries of evolution, starting with a single wild variety of wheat, which humans adapted to their needs. Originating ((1)ing形から始まるのはなぜでしょうか?)wheat cultivation in the valley of the Tigris River, wheat cultivation spread along the lines of civilization. As wheat cultivation spread, different climates and soils served to produce new varieties. Eventually this became a conscious process, with different strains of wheat being crossed ((2)beingは何でしょうか?) to create entirely new kinds, combining ((3)combiningの主語はどれでしょうか?)the desirable characteristics of the parent strains. As a result of this process of diversification, there are now thousands of varieties of wheat being grown ((4)beingは何でしょうか?)around the world. (1-38) Although the United States is blessed almost a billion hectares of land suited for agriculture, that ((5),thatと続く理由?は何でしょうか?) alone does not explain its tremendous capacity for production. (1-39) Scientists have achieved a broad understanding of how ((6)前置詞+how名詞節で副詞になるのでしょうか?) the human body transforms the raw materials it ((7)itが来る理由は何でしょうか?) obtains from food into the 45 nutrients needed to fuel activity and build cells. Unabsorbed residues pass though the small intense into the large intense, where ((9), whereと続く理由は何でしょうか?) they are stored for variable periods before being eliminated from the body. (2-1) Most weight-losing effort, regaining weight and returning to the weight they were before. ((10)Most weight-losing effortが主語でしょうか?) (2-2) He had several reasons for not eating meat, one being, ((11)one-beingと続く理由は何でしょうか?) his fondness for animals. (2-5) Until the late 19th century, the smallest recognized unit of matter was the atom, of which ((12)of whichがくる理由は何でしょうか?)92 basic types comprise the 92 elements, which compose all oridinary materials.

• 下記英文について質問があります。(2)

すいません下記の英文について質問があります。 It seems as though playing in the same room with someone is still the purest and most important form of musical communication to you. 同じ空間で曲をプレイするということは、あなたの曲作りのやりとりにおいてとても純粋で、かつ重要な事だと思えます。 Emails, SMS, letters, phonecalls, skype, you-name-it, those are all great ways to communicate, and I use them all. But being together, in person, is something different all together. I hope we can all agree that when you’re not in person, there at the same time, things get lost. Little things, big things, all kinds of things. And maybe if you know someone really well - which most likely you know them well from spending a lot of time in person - then it doesn’t matter ... Anyhow, I guess what I’m trying to say is that making music together over email can be very fun and rewarding, but it simply can’t be compared to making music together in the same space. It’s like night and day to me. And I think most anyone who has met Rutger or the guys from Efterklang, would say they are wonderful, kind, warm people. So making music with them in person is absolutely wonderful! Q1 But being together, in person, is somethingからa lot of time in person – then it doesn’t matter…までがどうも何が言いたいのかがつかめません。訳を教えてください。 Q2 Even if, as with Rutger, your approaches significantly differ from each other? たとえルトガー氏と同じように(作曲の)アプローチをとったとしても、あなたのアプローチはルトガー氏とは明らかに異なりますよね? この英文の訳はこのようなニュアンスで良いでしょうか? Q3 To me, a lot of your work sounds very direct, immediate and actually quite spontaneous, as detailed as it may be. Are you satisfied or rather annoyed when reviews call your work „,mature“? 私にとって、たくさんのあなたの作品はとてもdirectで、immediateで、実際かなり即興的です。このあとのas detailed as it may be.が訳せません。どういうことを言いたいのでしょうか? 1、2ともによろしくお願いいたします。