• ベストアンサー

英訳の質問。

以下の英文(アメリカの新聞記事の一文です)の訳し方についての質問です。 "No sacrifice is too great, and no expenditure is too heavy when the proper training of America's children is involved." 「アメリカの子どもたちの適切な訓練が必要とされる時、犠牲はそれほど大きくなく、費用も過剰ではない。」 と訳したのですが、冒頭からwhenまでの "No ~, and no ~" の部分が自信ありません。 また、「involve」の訳し方も不安です。 どなたかお教え頂けますでしょうか。 よろしくお願い致します。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数5

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

質問者様の訳で大まかには大丈夫だと思います。ことわざではNo one is too old to learn. ”学ぶのに歳をとりすぎているということはない”という言い方もします。 involveはto make something take part in something(Oxford Adcanced Learners Discrionary(2000)ですのでそれを意訳して私なら、 ”アメリカの子供の適切な訓練を考えた時、犠牲と費用が大きすぎるということはない。” つまりアメリカの子供を適切に訓練することならどんなに犠牲と費用をかけてもいい、ということでしょう。 =No matter how great (heavy) sacrifice (expenditure) may be, we will train children in proper way.ということでしょうか。

aqua222
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 オクスフォードの辞書を用いてご説明下さり、 ここでの「involve」の意味がよく分かりました。 確かに、子どもたちが訓練に参加するというような意味合いでこの「involve」を捉えるのが一番しっくりきますね。 また、別の角度から訳し直して下さったことで、この英文の意味がより分かりやすくなりました。 目から鱗のご回答、本当にありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (2)

noname#142902
noname#142902
回答No.3

こんにちは。  他の方が素晴らしい回答をしています。一応補足を入れてみます。直訳ですが。  ●「No sacrifice is too great」  ○「大きくなり過ぎる犠牲は無い」  ※そして主部の先頭「No」と「No」をつなぐために「and」が使われていると解釈しました。つまり、1つ目の「No~」と2つ目の「No~」はどちらも主部の先頭でしかないと思います。  ●「no expenditure is too heavy 」  ○「大き過ぎる支出は無い」  ●「when/the proper training of America's children/is involved」  ○「アメリカの子供達の適切な訓練が必要となる時」  ※斜線の間が主部だと思います。  つなげます。  ○「大きくなり過ぎる犠牲は無いし、大き過ぎる支出も無い。アメリカの子供達の適切な訓練が必要となる時は。」  自然な日本語に直してみます。  ○「アメリカの子供達が適切に訓練されるべき時は、犠牲も支出も大きくなり過ぎない。」  となって、質問者様の訳に辿り着きました。  参考:ロングマン英和辞典

aqua222
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 文節ごとに丁寧にご説明下さり、それぞれの主部を明確に捉えることができました。 ありがとうございました。

noname#111034
noname#111034
回答No.1

>「involve」の訳し方も不安です。 この場合は「かかわる」くらいの意味でしょう。「アメリカの子供たちの正しい養成がかかわるとなれば,・・・(下に続く)」 >冒頭からwhenまでの "No ~, and no ~" の部分が自信ありません。 譲歩構文でしょう。 「・・・どんな犠牲も大きすぎず,どんな出費も重すぎはしない。」

aqua222
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 「involve」は、子どもが訓練に関わることを意味しているのかもしれませんね。 「譲歩構文」についても、よく分かりました。 ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 英訳(イエスについて)の訳をお願いします。

a lot of people are offended that "God himself" would be "weak" enough to give in to sexual desires, when He is supposed to be the holy sacrifice for our sins. ダビンチコードでイエスには子供がいたのではないかというのが話題になりましたが、それについての英文です。 わたしなりには"神イエスは私達の罪のために犠牲になったとされているのに性欲があるということは弱者だ"と非難している。になりますが、誰かお願いします。後、when He is supposed to be the holy sacrifice for our sins. の部分でどうしてwhenを使うのかわかりません。お願いします。

• 英語の質問です。

In those days, no one expected to see children so involved and happy , especially not children from poor families 最近では、子供達、特に貧困層の子供達がここまで幸せそうに夢中になるのを誰も予想していなかった。 especially not children from poor familiesの“not”とはつまり、did not expectですか? 特に貧困層の子供たちではなく、と訳してしまったので混乱してました。

• 英訳困っています >< 助けてくださ~い><

The third stage is what Duvall referred to as the authority period , in which the family are bringing up pre-school children , with the oldest between two and five years old. Essentially, the parents have to train their pre-schoolers to behave in a socially acceptable way , and not like tyrannical little monsters! This, too, can be a deeply demanding phase for the parents. Things often ease up a little when the family enters the interpretive preriod , in which the oldest child is between five and 13 years old , and at school. (The reason why Duvall categorizes these stages from the age of the oldest child is mainly because this signals the need for the parents to learn new behaviours. They have already learned most of the behaviours they will need for younger children-although each child is different, of cource.) The fifth period in the family life cycle is the interdependent period, which consists of families with teenagers. At this time it becomes possible for the teenagers to take more of a share in the emotional and physical aspects of the family , and the relationship between parents and child can become a two-way, interdependent one rather than a simple, one-way , denpendent one.

• 英文の邦訳

The administration is in denial on this, and Congress is off on Mars. And yet, when I look around for the group that has both the power and interest in seeing America remain globally focused and competitive―America's business leaders―they seem to be missing in action. 上記英文の邦訳をお願いします。

• 英文を訳してください。

「No man is but these certainly are」 「When a whole lot of nothing is really something」 「No tacky safari gear required」 「When too much sport is never enough」 上記の英文をうまく訳すことができません。 どのように訳すのが適当でしょうか。 教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英訳についてアドバイスお願いします。

英訳についてアドバイスお願いします。 いつも色々ありがとうございます。 大体いつ頃からショーに参加できるのか教えていただけますか? 今、私の県にはいいスタジオが1つもなくて練習できていないので、もしツアーがアメリカなのであればニューヨークに帰って練習したいので。 Thank you for helping. When can I join the show about? Now there is no good studio in my town and I cannot practice enough, so if the tour is US, I want to go New York and do the practice before the show, so please lets me know about when the tour is starting.

• 英訳

ブリティッシュイングリッシュ(しかもサッカー)独特の言い方なのですが(アメリカ人に訊くと、よくわからないと言われました)、以下の文の一番最後の箇所、 getting a march on someone else とはどういう意味なのでしょう? わかる方がいらっしゃいましたら、 教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。 Ferguson is a master of football's realpolitik. Just as there were no secrets in Scottish football from Jock Stein, you sense no transfer is mooted, no manager axed, no coach hired without Ferguson knowing. It helps that four Premiership managers - and both Old Firm bosses - worked for him. Though he's often chastised the media, he'll make use of it, scanning it intensely; an old associate says of him: “There's no scrap of information too small for him to make use of.” It's all about “getting a march on someone else”, he says.

• 英訳お願いします。

アメリカで家具を購入しました。 支払いをちょっと待ってもらっていて、「お金が出来ました!」とメールしたら 以下のようなメールが来ました。「FedExのレートが高い・・・」見たいなことをだと思うのですが・・ そのあとが何が言いたいのかわからなくて。 No problem at all! I checked with FedEx on shipping, but the rates were too high. I’m getting a quote from IPS, and I’ll let you know he cost. どなたか教えていただけませんでしょうか?

• 英訳お願いします。

英訳お願いします。私は彼がいますが、好きな人ができてしまいました。 でも素直にはなれず、喧嘩しました。怒っているのかニュアンスがわかりません。 どなたか訳してもらえますか? 女:i know i was being selfish last night when you are busy 男:No your not being selfish i just think its not good idea 女:what is mean 男:im sorry though i know you want to see me i just dont think it is good idea 女:why? 男:i think you deserve more then i can offer 女:??? 男:i know you want boyfriend and right now i cannot have girlfriend so i think maybe you should find someone else 女:i usually dont need boyfriend..you dont know me well.i like just fun and something like that..you dont know me..im maybe not good person 男:by your text messeges you give off a different vibe 女:you dont know me really... 女:i dont need boyfriend..so i just told you i dont like something is such a hassle i like just fun 男:you just text me way too much making me think you are looking for boyfriend 女:im soorry i have boyfriend 4years..so idont need boyfriend..you asked me before..JK is your boyfriend? its true.do you know me? 男:haha i knew it and you told me no. i should just trust my instincts 女:then you never asked me..sorry 男:yea its ok idont care about that as long as you dont get too attached 女:next month he is going trip..so..still i wanna see you ..its true 男:sounds like trouble to me ..does he know? 女:no! he doesnt care me.he doesnt try to know about me. anyway you dont care about me right? 男:still sounds like too much drama for me 女:why too much drama? you told me you dont care..you dont need girlfriend i dont need boyfriend.. 男:yea i dont but i dont really care to get involved either... its just too much right now . 女:?? you dont be involved...what? 男:im done. 女:i dont know what you want to say..you dont like 'i want you' but i didnt tell you that 男:your situation is too complicated for me i just dont wanna get involved with you 女:i dont know..never mind its not problem.what do you want to say? i mean to say that you want me to tell you.. 男:yea..then ill be clear about it you should probably find someone else 女:is it okay i will break up him right now? and i dont need boyfrien im free! its okay???!! 男:No thats not the point.. 女:someone? no need. Tell me really want you want to say ! it was better that i didnt tell you true things.. if i tell you whatever..you will be mad.. 男:i dont want to hang out anymore. im not mad..im just done 女:im just done too.

• 英語に慣れてみえる方、どうか英訳お願いします

ちょっと緊急でお願いできればありがたいです。 英訳をどうかお願いします。 一応、機械翻訳しましたが、あっているのかわかりません(;;) ~~~~~~~~~~~~ はじめまして、 今日、私はカナダのアカウントを開設しました。 ですが、カナダにログインすると、 アメリカのセラーセントラルにログインしてしまい、 右上のタブは、アメリカのみで、カナダの表示がされません。 どうしたら、アメリカのセラーセントラルで、カナダも使えるようになるのでしょうか。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 機械翻訳 How do you do, I established Canadian account today. But when I log in to Canada, I log in to the seller central of America. A tab of the top right corner is only America, and indication of Canada is not considered to be it. In seller central of America, how will Canada come to be usable, too? Thank you for your cooperation.