• ベストアンサー

なぜtheirがつくのか

pal41の回答

• pal41
  • ベストアンサー率38% (7/18)
回答No.1

おそらく、無くても問題はないと思います。 ただ、それは日本語で考えたときですよね。 つまり… 「2人は仕事で忙しいのですか?」 と 「2人は自分たちの仕事で忙しいのですか?」 では、意味はほとんど同じに見えます。 もし、教科書等に載っている文章ならば、workの指すところを正確に捉えようとしているだけかもしれません。 あまり深く考える必要は無いかと思います。

ymm2015
質問者

お礼

お返事遅くなりすみません。 回答ありがとうございました!

関連するQ&A

• their

What ( ) their address last year?(  )にwasかwereを入れる問題で( )の中がwasだったんですがなぜwereじゃないんでしょうか?彼らは複数だからwereだと思うのですが。

• their assistanceは文法的にあっているのか?

david sylvianというイギリス人のミュージシャンのbrilliant trees というアルバムのジャケットにdavid sylvianが手書きで書いている 箇所があるのですが、そこに「Special Thanks to Yuka Fuji and Peter Bara Kan for their assistance」と書いてありまりました。 私の文法感覚ではassistanceは複数形にならなければいけないように 感じるのですが、私の文法感覚がおかしいのでしょうか?

• pay their affiliation

いつも大変お世話になっております。 次のような英文を受け取ったのですが、pay their affiliation の訳し方で迷っています。 I am currently trying to establish friendly ties with other (中略) members I talked with the (いくつかの集団の名前) and all I recommend to them, to please pay their affiliation with our mutual friend (人の名前), 「彼らとの提携を払う」となりますが「注意を払う」ようなことなのか、またはお金を払うようなニュアンスが含まれているのか、自分には判断しがたいです。  この英文は、多分スペイン語から英語に翻訳したことで分かりにくくなっているとは思います。  恐れ入りますが、その適切な解釈をご教示いただけますと幸いです。

• このtheirの使い方と意味

It seems to me that the Swiss enjoy and take pride in the natural beauty of their mountains. 「スイス人は、スイスの山の自然美を楽しみ、また誇りにしているように、私には思える」 この、「their mountains」の部分、どうしてtheirなんですか? よくわかりません。くわしくおしえてください。

• Theirが何を指しているのか、教えて欲しいです

ある参考書より抜粋 Nowadays, some who suffer from diseases look to alternative medicine like naturopathy. The practitioners of alternative medicine often use methods different from those of their medical counterparts. They not only look at the physical signs of the disease but also dig much deeper into the physiological* and psychological condition of the patient. という英文の中で、of their medical counterparts. のtheirが何を指しているのかが分かりませんでした。 具体的に何を指しているのかについて、 回答よろしくお願いします!

• make it on their own

I dated "Carol" for more than eight years. I loved her and wanted to marry her. The problem was her children (now aged 37 and 42), who have not grown up to be mature adults. Carol knew from the beginning that if we ever broke up, it would be because of them. I spent every weekend with her. The kids had a tendency to go through my personal belongings when we were on a date and when we slept. I had to hide my checkbook, wallet, truck and house keys. Her kids still live there and put forth zero effort to make it on their own. make it on their ownは「自立する」でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• taking their tolls on

下記の文章のtaking their tolls on のtheir は、何を指していますか。Enviromental stress を指していると思いますが、その場合意味が良くわかりません。 わかる方がいらっしゃいましたら、よろしくお願いします。 Environmental stresses are taking their tolls on the insects, however, and this year's Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement has gone to researcher May Berenbaum, who is studying solutions to the bee crisis. *take a toll on ~に被害[損害]を与える、~に犠牲を強いる 前後の文章 Bees play an important role in agriculture, pollinating crops and providing us with the natural sweetener, honey. Environmental stresses are taking their tolls on the insects, however, and this year's Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement has gone to researcher May Berenbaum, who is studying solutions to the bee crisis. 出展:VOA http://www.voanews.com/english/news/usa/Bee-Expert-Honored-with-Tyler-Environmental-Prize-121265429.html

• theirは所属を表す?

以下は参考書に掲載された英文です。 Like other pepole,they want to be a part of their communities and contribute to society. (他の人々と同じように、同性愛者たちも地域社会の一部になり、社会に貢献することを望んでいる。) ※主語theyは同性愛者達を指す 質問:their communitiesのtheirは同性愛者たちを指すtheyの所有格で、their communitiesとは「同性愛者達もそうでない人達も属する広域的な意味での地域社会」であり、そしてtheirは、「所属」として訳されてる、こういうことでしょうか? 質問2:地域社会の一部になりたいと書くなら、「want to be a part of communities」にするべきで、theirは要らないと思うんですよ。 同性愛者は、疎外されてるからこそ地域社会の一部になりたいのに、their communitiesと書いてしまうと、「同性愛者達も広域的意味での地域社会に属している」と読めてしまい、これでは疎外されてるとは言いがたいと思うんです。 ただ、「同性愛者達も所属している広域的社会」とは、現段階では形式的なものであり実質的なものでない、だから同性愛者はあくまでも形式的に所属しているに過ぎないことを表しているのでしょうか? そして、広域的な意味での社会一部になることは、、 強い結びつきをもつことであり、形式的なものから実質的なものになるということ、こういうことでしょうか?

• (252)They loved……この英文はどう訳せばよいでしょうか

QA252 They loved the lamentable works of Ares and deeds of violence; they ate no bread, but were hard of heart like adamant, fearful men. Great was their strength and unconquerable the arms which grew from their shoulders on their strong limbs. Their armour was of bronze, and their houses of bronze, and of bronze were their implements: there was no black iron. These were destroyed by their own hands and passed to the dank house of chill Hades, and left no name: terrible though they were, black Death seized them, and they left the bright light of the sun. 試し訳 (直訳志向です) 彼らはアレースの嘆かわしい仕事ぶりや凶暴な行為を好んだThey loved the lamentable works of Ares. 彼らは食事をせず、断固とした、恐ろしい人間のように、心の冷酷さがある。but were hard of heart like adamant, fearful men. しかし、偉大な事は彼らの強さと、彼らの強靭な手足を支えるon彼らの肩から伸びた征服することのできない両腕にある。 Great was their strength and unconquerable the arms……. 彼らの鎧は青銅製であり、家も青銅製their houses of bronze かつ、それらの家具も青銅製でand of bronze were their implements、 そこに黒い鉄で作られたものはなかった。There was not Black Iron. これらは彼らの手で破壊され、冷たいハデスの暗い家に手渡され、名を残さなかった。彼らは恐ろしかったけれどもterrible though they were、黒い死の神タナトスが彼らを捕らえ、彼らは太陽の華麗な輝きを後にして死んだ。 質問 質問 次の項目について、それぞれの解釈は正しいでしょうか。 回答は番号別に○×でも結構です。出来れば、コメントして下さい 「試し訳」の中の英語は質問と対応します。 (1)They loved the lamentable works of Aresについて     このworksは名詞で、「仕事ぶり」(様子)しました。 「振る舞い」が考えられるが、辞書にない。 (2)but were hard of heart like adamant, fearful menについて     <断固とした、恐ろしい人間のように、心の冷酷さがある>としました。 (3)from their shoulders on their strong limbs について   このonは「彼らの手足の上にくっついた」意味で、「支える」としました。 (4)Great was their strength and unconquerable the arms. について この文は(of)を挿入して、Great was their A and B (of) the armsと 考え、Greatなのはarmsではなく、Aであり、B of the armsとしました。 (3)their houses of bronzeについて   この文は(was)の省略と思われ、their houses (was) of bronze と   挿入しました。  (4)their houses of bronzeについて    これもtheir houses (was) of bronzeと挿入 (5)terrible though they were について     これはthough they were terribleと倒置 *black Death;これはNyxの子タナトス、ケール(死の命運)とは違う。 *Black Iron;特別な貴重品と思われる(黒い鉄で作られたもの)。 *they ate no bread;彼らはパン(食事)をしない。(神のことだからあり得る)  *These were destroyed by their own hands;彼らが壊した(理由不明)

• 日本語訳を!!

お願いします (18) Slaves were sometimes able to gain their freedom legally. Freedmen, as these lucky ones were called, were usually educated people or household workers. Freed slaves, both men and women, could legally marry―though a former slave could not marry a senator. They were even allowed to own property. Although freedmen could live anywhere they liked, many stayed with their former masters to work for pay. They still needed to make a living. (19) Even though slaves had few possessions of their own, Roman mastes often gave gifts of money to hard workers. A slave could keep this gift, called a peculium, as his private property. Valuable slaves who were careful with their savings might eventually tuck away enough to buy their freedom. This system motivated slaves to work hard. It helped the masters too because, by the time a slave had saved enough money, he or she was probably growing old, and the master could use the money to auy another, younger, slave. (20) Many freedmen worked almost as hard as the slaves did. Most remained desperately poor. But at least as freedmen, they were servants who were paid for their work. And they could not be taken from their families and sold as Spartacus was.