• ベストアンサー
※ ChatGPTを利用し、要約された質問です(原文:(168)It tells ……この英文はどう訳せばよいでしょうか)

The Power of Aphrodite and the Superiority of 'The Hymn to Aphrodite'

このQ&Aのポイント
  • This article explores the power dynamics within the Greek mythological world, focusing on the influence of Aphrodite and her interactions with other gods and mortals. It discusses how Zeus humbled Aphrodite by causing her to fall in love with a mortal and how she visited a hero on Mount Ida. A comparison is made between 'The Hymn to Aphrodite' and the Lay of Demodocus in the Odyssey, highlighting the superior portrayal of Aphrodite in the former.
  • 'The Hymn to Aphrodite' depicts the dominance of Aphrodite and her ability to manipulate the gods and creatures in the Greek mythological universe. Only Artemis, Athena, and Hestia are exempt from her control. The poem narrates how Zeus, in order to humble Aphrodite, made her love a mortal named Anchises. It also recounts her visit to a hero on Mount Ida. A comparison with the Lay of Demodocus in the Odyssey emphasizes the poignant portrayal of Aphrodite's vulnerability in 'The Hymn to Aphrodite.'
  • This article delves into the essence of 'The Hymn to Aphrodite' and its significance within Greek mythology. It explores the power dynamics between the gods, focusing on Aphrodite's subjugation to the will of Zeus and her consequent love for a mortal. The narrative also highlights her visit to a hero on Mount Ida. A comparison with the Lay of Demodocus in the Odyssey demonstrates the superior portrayal of Aphrodite's vulnerability in 'The Hymn to Aphrodite.'

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • deadwood
  • ベストアンサー率58% (57/97)
回答No.1

how all creatures are subject to the will of Aphroditeという節があって、all creaturesについて「神自身でさえ」が挿入されてます。creaturesを「創作的」と訳す理由が分かりません。「全ての生き物」です。are subject toの主語がall creaturesであることがつかめていません。 will showの主語がA comparison of this work with ... だというのはいいですが、comparisonは「類似する作品」ではなく、「比較すること」です。「この作品を...と比較することでhow far以下のことがわかる」という無生物主語の文です。 butはonlyの意味の副詞ですね。forcesは名詞で「力」です。sがついているので不定詞ではないです。victim to...で「...の犠牲」という意味です。

noname#171580
質問者

お礼

実に明快(明解)な回答で、もう一度、やり直してみます。、 ありがとうございました。   

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• (241)And Pallas Athene……この英文はどう訳せばよいでしょうか

QA241 And Pallas Athene bedecked her form with all manners of finery. Also the Guide, the Slayer of Argus, contrived within her lies and crafty words and a deceitful nature at the will of loud thundering Zeus, and the Herald of the gods put speech in her. 試し訳 そして、パラス・アテーネーは彼女(maid)の体をあらゆる種類の装飾品all manners of fineryで飾った。 ガイドの神、アルゴスを殺した神は彼女の中に虚偽と悪賢い言葉と欺瞞の性質(誘惑の性)deceitful naureを雷の大音をとどろかすゼウスの気持ちを考えてat the will工夫した。そして、神々の中の予兆の神ヘラルドHeraldは彼女maidに話すことを植え付けたput in。 質問 少し目ざわりですが、調べた単語を添えて、文章を作りました。 (1)bedecked her form with all manners of fineryについて    debecked A with Bとすると       debecked her form with (all manners of finery).     この解釈でよいでしょうか  (2)all manners of fineryについて    yafoo辞書の定義によれば、「あらゆる種類の美しい装飾品」となりそうで す。この解釈で正しいでしょうか。  (3)contrived within her lies……について     紛らわしい句です。 contrived within her (A and B and C)で     よいでしょうか。  (4)the will of loud thundering Zeus,について     直訳すれば、「大声の雷をとどろかすゼウス」     やや言いかえて、「雷の大音をとどろかすゼウス」        これでもよいでしょうか (5)Heraldについて   辞書は伝令、使者などだが、予兆・前兆の意味を定義(URL;Yafoo辞書) ギリシャ・ローマ神話辞典(神津春繁)にはない。 *Pallas Athene;  アテナ女神の呼び名の一つ、Pallas Apolloなど *the Slayer of ArgusはHermes(十二神の一人)    ゼウスの命によち、オーオーの番人百眼のアルゴスを殺した。

• IT系の英文なのですが・・・

お世話になります。IT系に関しての英文なのですが、大体意味は理解できるのですが、なんとなくニュアンスがわかりにくいので、和訳していただけないでしょうか。 IF we use the FastEthernet ports how does the failure of link in the NW is reported to the CPE router. From my understanding,our router FA interface will always show up unless the physical link between our router and the provider network does not hava a problem. This can pose some issues to us in terms of proactive monitoring. よろしくお願いします。

• (287) It is far ……この英文はどのように訳せばよいでしょうか

(287) It is far ……この英文はどのように訳せばよいでしょうか It is far better to do this, for if you should break one of them, you can put the oxen to the other. Poles of laurel or elm are most free from worms, and a share-beam of oak and a plough-tree of holm-oak. Get two oxen, bulls of nine years; for their strength is unspent and they are in the prime of their age: they are best for work. They will not fight in the furrow and break the plough and then leave the work undone. <試し訳と質問> 前記の例文の順を追って、試し訳と字句の解釈について質問します。 よろしくお願いします。 (1) It is far better to do this, for if you should break one of them, you can put the oxen to the other. こうする方が遥かに良いのだ。もし、どちらかが壊れたら、予備を雄牛に つければよい。 (2) Poles of laurel or elm are most free from worms, and a share-beam of oak and a plough-tree of holm-oak. 月桂樹かニレの轅(ナガエ)なら一番虫が付きにくい。また、鋤の柄なら樫の木、 鋤の材料(耕作の木)には、トキハガシがいい。 *plough-tree; 耕作(鋤)の木; 鋤の材料 この時代は、既に、鉄が鋤の刃に使われていた。 鉄はかなり高価で、ここでは木製らしい。 (3) Get two oxen, bulls of nine years; for their strength is unspent and they are in the prime of their age: they are best for work. 牛を二頭、手に入れるのだ。九歳の雄で、去勢してないのがいい。 彼らの良いところは疲れを見せないことだ。更に、彼らは年齢的に全盛だし、耕作にはもってこいだ。 *for;特に訳さない。 (4)They will not fight in the furrow and break the plough and then leave the work undone. 彼らは轍(ワダチ)を苦にせず、畝を壊さないから、やり残しの仕事のないようにするのだ。 <質問> (a) and then leave the work undone.について   難しいが、叙事詩特有の表現と思って、考えてみる。    *文型;they will leave ではなく、let leaveの意味の命令文である。    *Leave (the work undone)と読む。    *leave;一見、意味が矛盾するが、「任せる、託す」意味がある。           ここでは、訓戒の意味で述べているから、 「やってない仕事を任せよ」→「仕事をやり残すな」      このような読み方で正しいでしょうか。

• should it come up

I am a mentee in a "future women leaders" program at my organization. I am paired with a director of a different department. She and I get along very well, but she is not on speaking terms with the director of my department, and has gone so far as to file a complaint against my immediate supervisor, a woman I respect greatly. So far, my mentor has not reached out to me to organize our first mentoring session. Perhaps it is because she is very busy, but I suspect it is also because she is basically at war with my department, going so far as to instruct some of her subordinates not to speak to my colleagues (although they still speak to me). I sent an initial, "Thank you, and I'm looking forward to working with you" email to her upon the human resources department informing us that we were paired together. I have not reached out to her again and haven't heard from her. I am not sure how I would handle any discussions about my department, in particular my supervisors, should it come up. should it come upの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• (239) So said ……この英文はどう訳せばよいでしょうか

QA239 (ll. 60-68) So said the father of men and gods, and laughed aloud. And he bade famous Hephaestus make haste and mix earth with water and to put in it the voice and strength of human kind, and fashion a sweet, lovely maiden-shape, like to the immortal goddesses in face; and Athene to teach her needlework and the weaving of the varied web; and golden Aphrodite to shed grace upon her head and cruel longing and cares that weary the limbs. And he charged Hermes the guide, the Slayer of Argus, to put in her a shameless mind and a deceitful nature. (ll. 60-68)そのように、人間の父と神々は云い、大声で笑った。そして、彼は ヘパイストスに急いで、土と水を混ぜて、その中に人間の声と力、そして 魅力的な容姿の、顔は不死の女神のような可愛いい少女のまぼろしを入れるようにput in命じた。そして、アテーナーには刺繍や様々な織物を教えるように、更に、黄金のアプロディーティーには彼女(少女)の頭の上に優美さと(この人形を観た人間の)手足を痺れさせるような強いあこがれと苦悩を漂わせるように命じた。そして彼Zeusはヘルメスという案内人で、アルゴスの殺し神に、ずうずうしさa shameless mind と欺瞞の性質(誘惑の性)deceitful natureを植え付けるように命じた。 質問 and golden Aphrodite to shed grace upon her head and cruel longing and cares that weary the limbsについて (1)and (he bade) golden Aphrodite to shed A and Bと考えてよいでしょう か。B は (cruel longing and cares)……と考えてよいでしょうか。 (2)cruel longing and caresのlongingは「あこがれ」「思慕」と考えられて、    「(人形を観た人間が)手足を痺れさせるような憧れと苦悩」という意味 と考えられて、主語が略されていると考えてよいでしょうか。 (3)「痺れさせる」という意味はshedだけで表現できるのでしょうか。    ちゃんと、目的語をもっていますから、他動詞であることは分かります。 ただ、使役動詞の意味をもつかどうか、この点が分かりません。     「人間を魅惑する」という語なら素直に理解できますが、言葉が違います。      *shameless; ずうずうしさ *deceitful nature; 偽りの性質

• 英語を教えて下さい

(1)Which of the following is an additional benefit of membership? (2)According to the advertisement,what is an option? (3)If a person joins as a Gold Member and her firm matches her gift,how much will Village receive? 上記(1)~(3)の英文を日本語に訳せる方、教えて下さい。 お願いします。

• it ~ for ~ to構文について

How far it is possible for him to be a good husband is unknown. という文の構造を教えて下さい (How far) it is possible (for him to be a good hus band) is unknown.   M S V C M V C で良いのでしょうか。

• ギリシャ神話の英文です。訳がわかりません。回答お願いします。

And while she lay fearful and expectant, she felt a gentle hand brush back the hair from her brow,and a gentle voice whis-pered words of love into her ear. If this was a monster,he was like none she had ever heard of! She longed for daylight so that she might behold this mysterious husband who spoke so lovingly to her. But when dawn came over the casement and Psyche rose expectantly from her pillow,no husbdand did she see. Again she was quite alone. Again she was quite alone. The Sister's Visit Now the day sped happily for Psyche. The castle and its grounds were hers to enjoy,while invisible servants fulfilled her every wish. And each night her husband came to her and each dawn vanished. she had yet to lay eyes on him. But as usually happens when one's every wish is ful-filled,Psyche began to be bored. Besides,she was lonely. She longed to see her sisters. Perhaps she wanted them to know that the dreadful fate ordered for her had not bee fulfilled,thus relieving their hearts of sorrow and anxiety. Perhaps,too,she longed to have them know the amazing luxury she now enjoyed,riches beyond any of their dreams. One night she spoke of her longing to her husband. "Dear one," he said, "can you not be content as we are? How will it add to your happiness to have you sisters come here? I swear their visit will only bring us distress,for they will envy you what you have since it is so much more they can boast of." But Psyche begged,and at last her husband gave in. "Very well,"he said in a voice full of sorrow. "I will have Zephyr waft them here for a day's visit. But I warn you,do not let them talk you into trying to find out who I am. Only great misfortune will come to you try to look upon me," Psyche promised,and the next day her sisters came. Like any proud bride showing off her new home for the first time,Psyche conducted her sisters through the castle.

• この英文の意味が掴めずで困っています・・・

以下の英文を海外の彼女から受け取りました。 何か詩的?な文章の引用かと思いますが、私の英語理解力が低くて、翻訳ソフトで変換しても、何を言わんとしているのか意味が掴めません。 長文で申し訳ないと思ったのですが、どなたか意訳できる方いましたら、分かるように解説してもらえたら大変助かります。 よろしくお願いします。 ----------------------- Find a guy who calls you beautiful instead of hot, who calls you back when you hang up on him, who will lie under the stars and listen to your heartbeat, or will stay awake just to watch you sleep... wait for the boy who kisses your forehead, who wants to show you off to the world when you are in sweats, who holds your hand in front of his friends, who thinks you're just as pretty without makeup on. One who is constantly reminding you of how much he cares and how lucky his is to have you.... The one who turns to his friends and says, 'that's her.'

• (246)Of themselves diseases……この英文はどう訳せばよいでしょうか

(246) Of themselves diseases come upon men continually by day and by night, bringing mischief to mortals silently; for wise Zeus took away speech from them. So is there no way to escape the will of Zeus. (ll. 106-108) Or if you will, I will sum you up another tale well and skilfully—and do you lay it up in your heart,—how the gods and mortal men sprang from one source. 試し訳 彼らの病気が、人々は日毎夜毎に続けて襲い、無言のうちに、人間に災禍をもたらす。というのも、賢いゼウスが彼らからものを云う力speech を取り上げたからである。そのように、そこにはゼウスの意志から逃れる方法はないのだ。 (ll.106-108)五時代の説話; 『仕事と日々』松平千秋訳 あるいは、もしお前が望むなら、私はもう一つの話を掻い摘んで上手にうまく話してあげよう。<そして、お前はそれを自分の心に納めておくのだ> 神々と人間がいかにして一つの源から湧き出たか(という話だ)。 質問; (1)Or if you will, I will sum you up another tale well and skilfully      I will sum you up another tale の部分について、 この質問は直訳志向なのですが、 次のように訳せるでしょうか。 「私からお前にもう一つの話をかい摘んで話そう」 sum up taleで「かい摘んで話をする」という意味になるとして、 sum (動詞) +up(副詞)+tale(名詞)という解釈で正しいでしょうか。 *sum up;かいつまんで、掻い摘んで *disease; 病気